+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2016 Rule V Eligibility & Draft

Who is eligible this year to be selected in the Rule V draft?

NYYF Legend

Re: 2016 Rule V Eligibility & Draft

Quote Originally Posted by groundhoggator View Post
    Who is eligible this year to be selected in the Rule V draft?
    Pretty sure that Judge, O'Neil, Lail, Enns will be. I am not sure on the international players like Matteo.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

NYYF Legend

I found this link from the offseason. Add Herrera, Caleb Smith and Tyler Webb,

http://www.pinstripealley.com/yankee...-herrera-mateo

NYYF Legend

RAB had that in their weekly Q&A. Names included:

Mateo
    Andujar
    Judge
    Torrens
    Lail
    Enns
    Cave (again - if exposed and picked, then returned, he can become a free agent)
    Webb

Might have been a few others. And I am sure there are other international signings besides Mateo.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    RAB had that in their weekly Q&A. Names included:

Mateo
    Andujar
    Judge
    Torrens
    Lail
    Enns
    Cave (again - if exposed and picked, then returned, he can become a free agent)
    Webb

Might have been a few others. And I am sure there are other international signings besides Mateo.
    Judge was drafted in 13 ?? Rule 5 ?

NYYF Legend

Eligibility for rule 5:

Fourth rule 5 draft and you were 19 or older on the 5th of June preceding your signing.
    Fifth rule 5 draft and you were 18 or younger on the 5th of June preceding your signing.

So a general rule though not absolute, this year will be college guys drafted in 2013 and high school kids/IFA from 2012.

NYYF Legend

I always thought it was at least 5 seasons of play? UGGGG!!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankyfan View Post
    I always thought it was at least 5 seasons of play? UGGGG!!
    Not for college draftees. Could you imagine guys being stashed in systems until they were 26?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    Not for college draftees. Could you imagine guys being stashed in systems until they were 26?
    Yea ,I have no problem with team controll for 5 years but understand the rule. The R5 draft makes them eligible but few seem to stick.

With all the recent trades - how many newbies will be needed to added to the Rule V this offseason?

With all the recent trades - how many newbies will be needed to added to the Rule V this offseason?
    Found out only Heller needs to be added this offseason - which is great for flexibility and wouldn't be surprising to see him called up in Sept to gain some experience.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Pretty sure Rashad Crawford has to be added too.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    Pretty sure Rashad Crawford has to be added too.
    correct.. thanks... although I don't see the Yankees having him on the 40 yet due to development - they should be able to sneak him by.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

correct.. thanks... although I don't see the Yankees having him on the 40 yet due to development - they should be able to sneak him by.
    Technically, they don't have to add him just yet. With all the depatures happening they will probably wait til the last second. I don't see them not protecting him when they just traded for him.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    Technically, they don't have to add him just yet. With all the depatures happening they will probably wait til the last second. I don't see them not protecting him when they just traded for him.
    I really wonder if he will be protected. He's in A ball, and not yet performing very well. I doubt anyone takes him.

great article from Chad about who's likely to come up in September and who is/who isn't Rule V eligible

http://www.lohud.com/story/sports/ml...ey=&autologin=

- currently the 40 man roster is fullt - 40/40 taken with 5 on the 60 day DL
    - 14 slots have been added since start of the season (with an additional 4 who made a brief pit stop {Parmalee, Davis, Somsen & Coke})
    - with 26/44 slots allocated to Pitchers - expect some attrition to occur very soon with the pitchers listed - especially as Mitchell is very near to come off the 60 day DL. Typically 21-23 pitchers tops. (as you'll see below - there are potentially 12 pitchers they can term)
    - It will be easy to open roster spots this fall for Rule V and any additional Sept Callups - if we break it down by Red/Yellow/Green. All veterans under contract beyond this season will automatically be on Green (counted as part of the 40 man). No trades to be assumed, but of course will likely happen to free up space.

Red (free agents and easy to be DFA/non-tendered)
    1. Bleier
    2. Graham
    3. Layne
    4. Parker
    5. Teixeira
    6. Swarzak
    7. Eovaldi (since he got hurt and is out all 2017)
    8. Young Jr
    9. Butler
    10. Solano

Yellow (could easily see non-tendered or still with club next year)
    1. Barbato
    2. Goody
    3. Lindgren
    4. Mullee
    5. Pazos
    6. Rumbelow
    7. Yates
    8. Ackley
    9. Torreyes

Green (will be on the Yankees 40 man this offseason)
    1. Betances
    2. Cessa
    3. Clippard
    4. Green
    5. Heller
    6. Holder
    7. Mitchell
    8. Pinder
    9. Pineda
    10. Sabathia
    11. Severino
    12. Shreve
    13. Tanaka
    14. Warren
    15. McCann
    16. Romine
    17. Sanchez
    18. Austin
    19. Bird
    20. Castro
    21. Gregorius
    22. Headley
    23. Refsynder
    24. Ellsbury
    25. Gardner
    26. Hicks
    27. Judge
    28. Williams

So based on this exercise - they will have 8 definite openings for Rule V - can add an additional 9 slots (of course the starting # is 45 so realistically Cash will need to open 11 slots to create 6 Rule V additions - on average Cash puts 4-6 on each year) so there is lots of flexibility within the 40 man to work with.

Some 40 man concerns Cash will have to deal with this offseason:

a) reduce # pitchers from 26 to 21-23 level
    b) Extremely challenging to have 4 catchers on 40 -so wouldn't be surprised to see at least 1-2 traded from McCann/Romine/Higa
    c) Would be shocked to see if only 6 OF's remain on the 40 man roster thru the offseason

My best guess come Rule V Draft time - 22/18 (pitchers/positional), 18 (3/8/7)

---------------
    Rule V Eligible:

Must adds:
    1. Mateo - no brainer
    2. Andujar (there is no other 3B prospect in system)
    3. Higashioka (especially if McCann is traded)
    4. Enns - performance and lack of starters makes case for inclusion
    5. Webb - LHRP - given the lack of confidence from the alternative relievers down south

Others to consider:
    1. Giovanny Gallegos - if not protected - the type of player to be taken in Rule V draft.
    2. Mark Montgomery - his prospect rocket just ran out of fuel before clearing atmosphere
    3. Jake Cave (LH OF depth is too great to overcome)
    4. Cito Culver - improving but not 40 man guaranteed
    5. Brady Lail - last year - surefire addition for Rule V protection - performance this year puts him likely outside the bubble
    6. Luis Torrens - premium position - but injury and Low A - too far away to worry about Rule V protection
    7. Rashad Crawford - 4th piece in Chapman trade - still too raw to be stashed to clog someone's 25 man roster despite improvement after trade
    8. Cesar Puello - Nice year - is there more inside him than AAAA OF?
    9. Donovan Solano - see Puello comment above for utility IF
    Last edited by groundhoggator; 11-03-16 at 11:03 AM. Reason: updated Mullee, Teixiera, Butler no longer on 40 man roster

updated above post with addition of Young, Jr. & Holder and subtraction of Gamel.

If there are any other clear Rule V candidates that should be added or if a player is clearly misdiagnosed as a Red/Yellow/Green candidate - please let me know.

Devoted Member

updated above post with addition of Young, Jr. & Holder and subtraction of Gamel.

If there are any other clear Rule V candidates that should be added or if a player is clearly misdiagnosed as a Red/Yellow/Green candidate - please let me know.
    Puello will be a minor league free agent and will née do be protected. He's probably a bit of a long shot but I hope they find a way to keep him.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob035 View Post
    Puello will be a minor league free agent and will née do be protected. He's probably a bit of a long shot but I hope they find a way to keep him.
    Added him & Solano - thinking that both are the quintessential AAAA player.

NYYF Legend

Added him & Solano - thinking that both are the quintessential AAAA player.
    I really don't think there is any chance these guys are protected. They aren't prospects anymore and can be resigned to minor league deals if they want to stay. Maybe give them a raise on the AAA portion of their contract.

NYYF Legend

I can see Webb being drafted. He's a big 2 inning lefty who can get it up to 94. I don't think we'll have room for him on the 40?

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    I really don't think there is any chance these guys are protected. They aren't prospects anymore and can be resigned to minor league deals if they want to stay. Maybe give them a raise on the AAA portion of their contract.
    You're probably right but I like Puello better than most of (maybe all of?) our AAAA outfielders. He was a legit prospect then got caught up in the biogenesis scandal in 2013 and was out most of last year with a back injury.

This year he really bounced back nicely and posted a .413 OBP to lead all AAA players with 250+ AB's. He's not that old at 25 and if he can build on this season, I can see him being a very useful MLB piece. But yeahhh, the 40 man is probably too darn crowded.

There are a bunch of pretty interchangeable bullpen guys, but this is my list as of now:

Locks (30):

Betances
    Cessa
    Clippard
    Green
    Heller
    Holder
    Mitchell
    Pineda
    CC
    Severino
    Tanaka
    Warren

*Higashioka
    McCann
    Romine
    Sanchez

*Andujar
    Austin
    Bird
    Castro
    Gregorius
    Headley
    *Mateo
    Refsnyder
    Torreyes

Ellsbury
    Gardner
    Hicks
    Judge
    Mason Williams

*Not on yet

Others (10):

Enns
    Gallegos
    Goody
    Ronald Herrera (one of the youngest players in AA this year, he turned 21 in May)
    Pazos
    Shreve
    Tarpley

Torrens

Culver

Crawford

============================

I'm not sure why you have Pinder as a lock coming off surgery, Webb didn't make my cut either but again a lot of those relievers seem somewhat interchangeable.

And just to be clear, a player selected in the Rule V draft must be on the drafting teams active 25 man roster for the entire season following the draft or be returned, correct?

Thread Information