+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: MLB Strike Zone Changing / No More IBB

The whole reason they want to reduce time is to attract/keep the next generation of fans, right?

Well the only way they are going to do that is to shave 2 hours off the game which is impossible unless it turns into a 4 inning game.

I hate the new IBB rule. Someone already mentioned that seldom does something crazy happen during an IBB, but last year we did get Sánchez's almost epic swat at it.

This rule change is a non issue for me. I don't care either way. I don't see it having a huge impact on time, it's not like we have an epidemic of intentional walks. I don't think it's taking anything away from the game. The amount of times anything exciting happens during an IBB is minuscule. I have no strong feelings about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    This rule change is a non issue for me. I don't care either way. I don't see it having a huge impact on time, it's not like we have an epidemic of intentional walks. I don't think it's taking anything away from the game. The amount of times anything exciting happens during an IBB is minuscule. I have no strong feelings about this.
    Thank you!

I didn't want to be the first to say that. This is just a small drop in the bucket. 60 seconds one way or another won't make a difference. It doesn't matter.

Now, the pitch clock is something entirely different.
    It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

I can't say I'm surprised because it's been a long off season. But the reactions on either side of this are pretty entertaining.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/ml...gn-substances/

And now stickier balls....

Helps out pitchers, hurts hitters. More low scoring games.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/ml...gn-substances/

And now stickier balls....

Helps out pitchers, hurts hitters. More low scoring games.
    pineda did nothing wrong! lolol
    always reasonable

Aaron Judge Career Homer #8
    http://m.mlb.com/video/v1294788283/s...-to-deep-right

NYYF Legend

I can't say I'm surprised because it's been a long off season. But the reactions on either side of this are pretty entertaining.
    I'm actually not that rustled about the intentional walk rule change. I'm more concerned about what could come next. Manfred seems a little obsessed with this "pace of play" topic. I do not want MLB messing with any rule changes that fundamentally alter the way the game is played, e.g., that nonsense of starting an inning with a runner on 2B, or starting a batter with 1 - 1 count, etc.
    Last edited by NelsonMuntz; 02-28-17 at 11:15 AM.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    I'm actually not that rustled about the intentional walk rule change. I'm more concerned about could come next. Manfred seems a little obsessed with this "pace of play" topic. I do not want MLB messing with any rule changes that fundamentally alter the way the game is played, e.g., that nonsense of starting an inning with a runner on 2B, or starting a batter with 1 - 1 count, etc.
    I completely agree. I'll always say that the game should take as long as it needs to take. I have no desire to see it being tinkered with to change the natural pace of the game. The players set that pace, as they should.

Per MLBTR: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...ar-season.html

It looks like a new Carter Capps rule will take effect this year ...

Per the league’s announcement, the rule now “stipulates that a player may not take a second step toward home plate with either foot or otherwise reset his pivot foot in his delivery of the pitch.” Doing so with the bases empty will result in an illegal pitch, while doing so with runners aboard will result in a balk.

Quote Originally Posted by Gusto View Post

It was only a matter of time. And yes, it will be known as the Carter Capps rule. He'll join Chase Utley and Buster Posey.
    It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

It interesting it applies to both feet. I can't think of who, but it seems some pitchers tap or scrape their front foot, which would be illegal under the new rule.

It interesting it applies to both feet. I can't think of who, but it seems some pitchers tap or scrape their front foot, which would be illegal under the new rule.
    You mean like Shawn Chacon?
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    You mean like Shawn Chacon?
    Exactly. He had that little toe touch mid stride.

NYYF Legend

All these rules changes but none of them address the Pedro Baez type stalling/paint drying/Sloth from Zootopia speed between pitches.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

Why not just eliminate balks too? They suck up a lot of time and now they've just added another wrinkle to it that will suck time inplace of the IBB.

Quote Originally Posted by Krall View Post
    Why not just eliminate balks too? They suck up a lot of time and now they've just added another wrinkle to it that will suck time inplace of the IBB.
    Getting rid of balks entirely would get also rid of base stealing and even leading off.

Getting rid of balks entirely would get also rid of base stealing and even leading off.
    You're absolutely right, but that's the same kind of chaos you get rid off by getting rid of IBB. Granted it's on a smaller scale.

I just don't think you can cut down the game time in any meaningful way by making these itty bitty changes.

A game is 3 hours long. You need to do something drastic to change that and of course in doing so change the history of the game in a drastic way.

NYYF Legend

You're absolutely right, but that's the same kind of chaos you get rid off by getting rid of IBB. Granted it's on a smaller scale.

I just don't think you can cut down the game time in any meaningful way by making these itty bitty changes.

A game is 3 hours long. You need to do something drastic to change that and of course in doing so change the history of the game in a drastic way.

Actually by reducing the time of the game you would be going back to the game the way it was. When I was a kid, the batters rarely moved out of the batters box the way they do today. They also didn't fiddle obsessively with their batters gloves and the like the way Garciaparra Of course, the biggest time waster id the incessant and boring advertisements, and we are not going to do away with them.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    Actually by reducing the time of the game you would be going back to the game the way it was. When I was a kid, the batters rarely moved out of the batters box the way they do today. They also didn't fiddle obsessively with their batters gloves and the like the way Garciaparra Of course, the biggest time waster id the incessant and boring advertisements, and we are not going to do away with them.

Andy
    Alas, Andy, the game will never be what it was when we were kids and became enamored with the game.

Out of curiosity, I went back and selected a random game from the 1964 season (my first real memories of baseball are crying when the Yankees lost the 1964 World Series) - I chose the June 3 NYY @ MIN game. The time of the game was 2:30 (an eternity in those days, as I recall) - Whitey Ford pitched a complete game shutout (3-0 win) and the Twins starter (Jim Roland) went eight innings.

As you said, the real issue these days is the time between innings. I think growing up it was around 1:30 between innings - it is now something like 2:20 for nationally broadcast games and at least 2:00 for local broadcast games.

This increase in between innings time itself has added at least 15 minutes to a game's length. Add to it the constant trips to the mound for the manager to take out LOOGY after one batter to be replaced by ROOGY and the game drags and drags.

IMO:

1. Reduce the time between innings to 1:45 at most - with today's technology, TV can show ads sharing the screen with the action and still get as much air time for sponsors as they do now.

2. A pitcher, upon entering the game, must pitch to at least three batters unless removed for injury.

3. A pitcher, once he has the ball in hand, must throw a pitch within twelve seconds.

4. A batter, once announced, has ten seconds to get into the batters box and cannot leave the batters box once in the box, except to tend to a ball fouled off his body.

5. Catchers/IFers are no longer allowed to go to the mound except during a visit by the manager or a pitching change.

6. All players must wear their pants bloused no more than two inches below the bottom of the knee cap and must wear stirrups.

OKAY - so the last rule won't reduce the length of the game, but it is my other pet peeve these days.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Average NBA game is ~ 2:15. Average NHL game is ~ 2:35. Baseball is still around 3 hours- in the 70's, it was ~ 2:30.

With the increase in commercials between innings and multiple pitching changes, it'll be difficult to get back to the 70's time. But we can get back to the 70's pace and that is what Manfred is trying to do, IMO. I appreciate his efforts and I believe the game pace will quicken over the next few seasons.

I am so tired of the tinkering to move the game along. I'll never understand it. I guess I've become one of those irritable, get off my lawn type fan. I feel strongly that the game should go as long as it needs to, at the pace the players make it. I hope that in ten years we're not going to look back and see a totally different game. This particular thing with the IBB, I am fine with. But it just keeps on happening. I don't like it. No sir, not one bit.

NYYF Legend

I am so tired of the tinkering to move the game along. I'll never understand it. I guess I've become one of those irritable, get off my lawn type fan. I feel strongly that the game should go as long as it needs to, at the pace the players make it. I hope that in ten years we're not going to look back and see a totally different game. This particular thing with the IBB, I am fine with. But it just keeps on happening. I don't like it. No sir, not one bit.
    Would you object to making the players stay in the batters box and otherwise eliminating the various delaying tactics that have crept into the game? Otherwise, your comment suggests that you would be OK with player shenanigans adding time to the game.

The game, as it is, is fine for the existing fan. However, to capture the attention of new fans in this "now and how I want it" world we live in, the game needs to find ways to attract fans and keep their attention.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Alas, Andy, the game will never be what it was when we were kids and became enamored with the game.

Out of curiosity, I went back and selected a random game from the 1964 season (my first real memories of baseball are crying when the Yankees lost the 1964 World Series) - I chose the June 3 NYY @ MIN game. The time of the game was 2:30 (an eternity in those days, as I recall) - Whitey Ford pitched a complete game shutout (3-0 win) and the Twins starter (Jim Roland) went eight innings.

As you said, the real issue these days is the time between innings. I think growing up it was around 1:30 between innings - it is now something like 2:20 for nationally broadcast games and at least 2:00 for local broadcast games.

This increase in between innings time itself has added at least 15 minutes to a game's length. Add to it the constant trips to the mound for the manager to take out LOOGY after one batter to be replaced by ROOGY and the game drags and drags.

IMO:

1. Reduce the time between innings to 1:45 at most - with today's technology, TV can show ads sharing the screen with the action and still get as much air time for sponsors as they do now.

2. A pitcher, upon entering the game, must pitch to at least three batters unless removed for injury.

3. A pitcher, once he has the ball in hand, must throw a pitch within twelve seconds.

4. A batter, once announced, has ten seconds to get into the batters box and cannot leave the batters box once in the box, except to tend to a ball fouled off his body.

5. Catchers/IFers are no longer allowed to go to the mound except during a visit by the manager or a pitching change.

6. All players must wear their pants bloused no more than two inches below the bottom of the knee cap and must wear stirrups.

OKAY - so the last rule won't reduce the length of the game, but it is my other pet peeve these days.

The other major issue influencing game length, in terms of time is the way pitchers are used today. Fifty years ago a complete game was commonplace, today it is almost nonexistent. Starters are used to pitching 5 or at most 6 innings on average with teams using three to four relief pitchers with many coming in during an inning. There are many more trips to the mound today by pitching coaches and managers today than yesterday.

That's the game we have today. It isn't going to change. Trying to shorten it is all but futile. In the days of 2 to 2 1/2 hour games people stayed for the full game. I remember in the 50's attending Sunday doubleheaders with my Dad and staying till the last out of the last game was made. Today it is the norm for most fans to leave after the seventh inning. I can't blame them.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    The other major issue influencing game length, in terms of time is the way pitchers are used today. Fifty years ago a complete game was commonplace, today it is almost nonexistent. Starters are used to pitching 5 or at most 6 innings on average with teams using three to four relief pitchers with many coming in during an inning. There are many more trips to the mound today by pitching coaches and managers today than yesterday.

That's the game we have today. It isn't going to change. Trying to shorten it is all but futile. In the days of 2 to 2 1/2 hour games people stayed for the full game. I remember in the 50's attending Sunday doubleheaders with my Dad and staying till the last out of the last game was made. Today it is the norm for most fans to leave after the seventh inning. I can't blame them.

Andy
    And I admit to doing that - rarely is there a game at YS where I stay until the last out.

Of course, when you are lucky enough to be present for a no hitter (Jordan Zimmerman for the Nationals the last day of the 2014 season), you stay for every pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Would you object to making the players stay in the batters box and otherwise eliminating the various delaying tactics that have crept into the game? Otherwise, your comment suggests that you would be OK with player shenanigans adding time to the game.

The game, as it is, is fine for the existing fan. However, to capture the attention of new fans in this "now and how I want it" world we live in, the game needs to find ways to attract fans and keep their attention.
    Actually I do like the batter having to keep one foot in the box also. I thought that was a good idea. The walking around and readjusting the batting gloves and cup and whatever was getting annoying. Damn you, Nomar!

What type of shenanigans do you mean? Like over the top Football celebrating? No. A bat flip here and there? Don't care. A pitcher pumping his fist getting that third out in an intense situation? Fine by me. I don't know where the line is, but I haven't seen much that bothered me.

Thread Information