+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6

Re: 2016 Brett Gardner thread

Quote Originally Posted by mr.roy View Post
    mr.roy, never ever missed the cut off man.
    From 1968-1971 he lead the AL in Fielding% for a LF.
    1971...145 GP.....1.000 Fld%.
    Lifetime .360 OBP. From 1969-1972 his OBP. was well over .380.
    Played LF sun brilliantly. With cheap sun glasses.
    15 years with the Yankees.
    My age 10-24 years old, back in the day.
    He was Mr. Yankee.
    1970 lead the Yankees in every major offensive stat.
    Just took a look at his lifetime stats. He had a very impressive career.

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Just took a look at his lifetime stats. He had a very impressive career.
    Yes, and career OPS+ was 121, which represents his production in the context of the low offense environment in which he played.

Hall of Fame OFer, Richie Ashburn (111) was well below that number. Kirby Puckett (124) with no decline phase to his career wasn't much better. Carlos Beltran, whom fans promote as a HOF candidate, has exactly the same 121. It speaks well of him to be mentioned in the same breath as those guys.
    Last edited by Bill Marsh; 12-30-16 at 12:34 PM.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    Yes, and career OPS+ was 121, which represents his production in the context of the low offense environment in which he played.

Hall of Fame OFer, Richie Ashburn (111) was well below that number. Kirby Puckett (124) with no decline phase to his career wasn't much better. Carlos Beltran, whom fans promote as a HOF candidate, has exactly the same 121. It speaks well of to be mentioned in the same breath as those guys.

So true.

NYYF Legend

I think the Yankees should trade him if the y could get a good starting pitcher.....

Serious question:

How many think Gardy will start the season in pinstripes? Not should, but will.

It seems that every Hot Stove, there are rumors about Gardy being traded. And every year, he's back- including finishing 1st or 2nd among position players in WAR over the past 4 seasons.
    It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    Serious question:

How many think Gardy will start the season in pinstripes? Not should, but will.

It seems that every Hot Stove, there are rumors about Gardy being traded. And every year, he's back- including finishing 1st or 2nd among position players in WAR over the past 4 seasons.
    I think he will. Now my opinion is swayed by the fact that I am one of the few posters who hasn't been trying to drive Gardy out of town for the past 8 years. I've said it before and I will say it again. He is the most disrespected and underappreciated Yankees in team history by it's fans.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Rotoworld is reporting that Gardner is being offered to Toronto. I do not believe this, and judging by the amount of typos in the post, perhaps the roto writer was drunk on NYE:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/4451/brett-gardner
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    I think he will. Now my opinion is swayed by the fact that I am one of the few posters who hasn't been trying to drive Gardy out of town for the past 8 years. I've said it before and I will say it again. He is the most disrespected and underappreciated Yankees in team history by it's fans.
    At least for me, it's not disrespect or under appreciation - it is the reality that, of the current veterans on the team, his contract is one that can easily be traded.

Everyone would like to see Ellsbury traded, but that accomplishment would almost certainly require the Yankees to eat 60% or more of that contract and, even eating the money, likely would not return that much.

Gardner, with his attractive contract, could get you good pieces back. With the plethora of OF prospects we have knocking at the door, trading him actually makes great sense.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    At least for me, it's not disrespect or under appreciation - it is the reality that, of the current veterans on the team, his contract is one that can easily be traded.

Everyone would like to see Ellsbury traded, but that accomplishment would almost certainly require the Yankees to eat 60% or more of that contract and, even eating the money, likely would not return that much.

Gardner, with his attractive contract, could get you good pieces back. With the plethora of OF prospects we have knocking at the door, trading him actually makes great sense.
    I Don't know if Cash would deal him in the division?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post

I keep hearing this point but so what? Why should he be penalized for giving up free agency to sign a team friendly extension? Castro and Didi have much cheaper contracts and are both younger so to me their are more attractive as trade bait. Headley also has a similar contract for a 3rd base needy team. They managed to trade McCann who had a bad contract right?

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    I keep hearing this point but so what? Why should he be penalized for giving up free agency to sign a team friendly extension? Castro and Didi have much cheaper contracts and are both younger so to me their are more attractive as trade bait. Headley also has a similar contract for a 3rd base needy team. They managed to trade McCann who had a bad contract right?
    Plus, there are baseball writers that believe Cashman would have to eat some money to trade Gardy.

I agree that he's very underappreciated. Trading him means that Hicksie becomes a starter. That's a serious drop.
    It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

For rather long stretches during last 3 or 4 years, Brett Gardner was often the only reason to even watch a Yankees game.

I also love his story. This is a guy that has been doubted every step of the way but still persevered, improved, and clawed his way into the all-star game. The guy is a role model for hard work and perseverance.

Gardner has been a soldier for the Yankees. He deserves a chance to play out his contract and become the only "homegrown" player in 10 years to effectively play out his most productive years in pinstripes, even if he gets his 2 or 3 year swan song elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    For rather long stretches during last 3 or 4 years, Brett Gardner was often the only reason to even watch a Yankees game.

I also love his story. This is a guy that has been doubted every step of the way but still persevered, improved, and clawed his way into the all-star game. The guy is a role model for hard work and perseverance.

Gardner has been a soldier for the Yankees. He deserves a chance to play out his contract and become the only "homegrown" player in 10 years to effectively play out his most productive years in pinstripes, even if he gets his 2 or 3 year swan song elsewhere.
    I agree with your anecdotal comments. I've been a Gardner supporter here since the early days when folks were labeling him a punch and judy 4th OF that couldn't make a playoff roster. He's been tremendously valuable, tremendously entertaining, tremendously humble, took a team-friendly deal, etc.

All that said, if you can get better than market value, or trade him as a first step in other moves to improve the roster this year or next, thanks for the memories Brett. I don't think the Yankees really "owe" him anything.

It's also good marketing long term. If Yankees shows not even a pretense of loyalty for someone like Gardner, even second tier FAs will be demanding NTCs and then we will be stuck with contracts we truly don't want.

Unless Yankees can get a big return, which is unlikely due to Gardner's untraditional skill set, Yankees should keep Gardner.

It's also good marketing long term. If Yankees shows not even a pretense of loyalty for someone like Gardner, even second tier FAs will be demanding NTCs and then we will be stuck with contracts we truly don't want.

Unless Yankees can get a big return, which is unlikely due to Gardner's untraditional skill set, Yankees should keep Gardner.
    I imagine NTCs are going to be a more common request regardless.

That aside, I think players getting shipped out doesn't look as bad during a rebuild. And what teams have "marketed" well in that regard anyway? In other words, can you rank teams or give a top 5 based on how loyal they've been to players?

Other than Oakland, I don't see any team standing out one way or the other. And I doubt it's much of a concern for players. I think certain types of players are going to be more wary regardless of team (relievers, guys on 1-year rebound deals).

Reminds me of when the A's and Billy Beane tried hard to resign Giambi. Giambi was willing to give a hometown discount to stay in Oakland with the condition that he would also receive a NTC. Beane wouldn't budge on the NTC.

Giambi probably knew that his hometown discount would end up getting him traded to a large market city where he could have gotten a higher price through free agency.

If Gardy held out for a higher priced contract, he'd be safer now, like Ellsbury and Castro. Of course, I still think he's safe, just like every previous off season and trade deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    I imagine NTCs are going to be a more common request regardless.

That aside, I think players getting shipped out doesn't look as bad during a rebuild. And what teams have "marketed" well in that regard anyway? In other words, can you rank teams or give a top 5 based on how loyal they've been to players?

Other than Oakland, I don't see any team standing out one way or the other. And I doubt it's much of a concern for players. I think certain types of players are going to be more wary regardless of team (relievers, guys on 1-year rebound deals).
    The Red Sox come to mind as a team that has not been loyal to their players, yet they continue to sign FAs and even re-up with existing players on team friendly deals. I'm skeptical that trading Gardner would have any material impact on future FA dealings with the team.

i'd keep gardner as a culture guy as well.

My thoughts are that I think we should trade Gardner. But I don't think we will. I don't think cashman will get the return he wants on him. Frazier though looks ready for the big leagues. He actually could be more ready than Judge is. And Judge is the favorite for opening day RF. I'd like to see us move both Gardner and Headley before the year but my guess is we trade them at some point during the season.

NYYF Legend

Frazier is not major league ready. Not with that ugly .657 OPS at AAA. The only thing major league ready is his Twitter feed.

NYYF Legend

I sure hope that the Yankees do not deal Gardner and as unrealistic as it may be, I would love to see Ellsbury sent packing instead.

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    I sure hope that the Yankees do not deal Gardner and as unrealistic as it may be, I would love to see Ellsbury sent packing instead.
    Cashman just said yesterday that Gardy will be on the opening day roster.

I'm sure we'll revisit his trade rumors again at the trade deadline.

(From another thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post

Bryan Hoch ‏@BryanHoch 4m4 minutes ago
    Cashman said he wouldn't expect a trade involving Brett Gardner before Opening Day. Everything that has been presented has been rejected.

If Gardner has a favorable contract making him attractive for somebody to trade for, that means he has a favorable contract for the Yanks. Maybe the fact that he turns 34 this year is a factor, but unless they got more than he could contribute, there is no reason to trade him and leave the OF in a shambles. Ellsbury? rookies? never will bes (that's the plural of be)? manning the OF. That's crazy. Mookie Betts isn't waiting in the wings.

Thread Information