+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: 2016 Brett Gardner thread

Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    I should have clarified that his offense would have been more appreciated with today's metrics. With the back of the baseball card stats, he seemed pedestrian.
    He was no Lou Piniella.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    He was no Lou Piniella.
    In the words of Mariano Rivera, "And thank God for that."

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    B-R has him at negative 6.1 dWar for his career.

Admittedly I was quite young during White's career but while I always thought he was underappreciated I never really thought of him as a great defender.
    Granted he played at the old stadium with a cavernous LF to cover but he played a ridiculously deep LF. It used to infuriate me how many balls fell in front of him. And his throwing arm was very weak. Don't get me wrong, he was a decent outfielder defensively (he sure could run down a ball in the gap) but he wasn't anything special out there, either. Offensively, though, he was a great player. I actually believed he sacrificed some of his offensive numbers in order to hit for power because the Yankees needed him to be a middle of the order hitter.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

give ellsbury away for nothing. keep brett.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

He was no Lou Piniella.
    This was Sweet Lou's best defensive play as a Yankee, imo.

It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    B-R has him at negative 6.1 dWar for his career.

Admittedly I was quite young during White's career but while I always thought he was underappreciated I never really thought of him as a great defender.
    White caught everything in LF. He had excellent range and was a solid fielder. He could not throw to save his life. He might have had the weakest arm of any Yankee OF in the past 50 years, and I am not exaggerating. It was that weak.

But everything else he was solid. He was a 165 pound switch hitter hitting cleanup for several years in the early 1970s.

Make the Yankees great again!!

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    White caught everything in LF. He had excellent range and was a solid fielder. He could not throw to save his life. He might have had the weakest arm of any Yankee OF in the past 50 years, and I am not exaggerating. It was that weak.

But everything else he was solid. He was a 165 pound switch hitter hitting cleanup for several years in the early 1970s.
    Career OPS+ of 120, same as Paul O'Neill. He did have a very weak arm.

B-Ref listed his playing weight at 160 lbs. Wow. (Pedroia is listed at 175 lbs)

Weakest arm? That would be an interesting bar debate. For discussion purposes, I'll toss in Mickey Rivers and Johnny Damon. And soon, Ellsbury could join the conversation- he had some horrific throws last season. (Thanks, Cash!)
    It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

It was certainly his most important! Fighting the sun all the way. Reggie as a lefty would never have made that play.

And, IMO, Damon's arm was worse than White's. It certainly was uglier to watch. IT sure would be nice to have a strong arm in CF as well as RF again.

NYYF Legend

I should have clarified that his offense would have been more appreciated with today's metrics. With the back of the baseball card stats, he seemed pedestrian.
    Man knew how to get on base.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Roy White was a loud mouth troublemaker. Had he kept quiet and done his job he may have won more awards.

His throws home had such an arc that they were almost as high as they were far.
    Weakest arm? That would be an interesting bar debate. For discussion purposes, I'll toss in Mickey Rivers and Johnny Damon. And soon, Ellsbury could join the conversation- he had some horrific throws last season. (Thanks, Cash!)
    I take it you didn't see White throw. Rivers had a weak arm, weaker than Damon's, but White would have been a disaster in center, despite his fielding ability, because of his arm. Great fielder, worse arm ever.

And yes, he was probably underrated by a lot of fans, but he wasn't to me. He could do it all....except throw.
    Let the kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post

His throws home had such an arc that they were almost as high as they were far.
    I take it you didn't see White throw. Rivers had a weak arm, weaker than Damon's, but White would have been a disaster in center, despite his fielding ability, because of his arm. Great fielder, worse arm ever.

And yes, he was probably underrated by a lot of fans, but he wasn't to me. He could do it all....except throw.
    He was a converted 2Bman as I recall.

Make the Yankees great again!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    He was a converted 2Bman as I recall.
    Yes, and Murcer a converted SS.

Yep, that play was amazing.

NYYF Legend

Yep, that play was amazing.
    It was? Was he that bad of a fielder?
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    That play changed the complexion of the game. The ball was hit on a rope and the sun was in his eyes, and he didn't see it until it skipped in front of him. That ball could have easily gotten by him but he made a split second snag and held the runners. Early in his career Piniella was an above average fielder with a good arm.
    Let the kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    That play changed the complexion of the game. The ball was hit on a rope and the sun was in his eyes, and he didn't see it until it skipped in front of him. That ball could have easily gotten by him but he made a split second snag and held the runners. Early in his career Piniella was an above average fielder with a good arm.
    You cannot see it from the clip, but Lou was smacking his glove as if he was going to catch the ball. It caused Rick Burleson to hesitate a bit, which kept him from advancing to 3rd base- which was critical.

If the ball gets by Lou, then Rick Burleson scores and Jerry Remy possibly ends up on 3b with Jim Rice on deck. We probably lose the game and the division. History gets rewritten and Bucky Dent doesn't have an expletive as his middle name.

NYYF Legend

Greatest game ever.
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Greatest game ever.
    It's technically a regular season game, but I still think of it as a playoff game.

As far as regular-season games go, I would rank July 1, 2004 (the Jeter dive into the stands game) at the top of my list.

For me, the 1978 playoff game will always be number one. I just wish I did not have other commitments and could have been there.

It's technically a regular season game, but I still think of it as a playoff game.

As far as regular-season games go, I would rank July 1, 2004 (the Jeter dive into the stands game) at the top of my list.
    My memories of that game were the dive, of course, and Nomar pouting on the bench. It was the game that finally made my friends, who are Red Sox fans, appreciate Jeter.

NYYF Legend

mr.roy, never ever missed the cut off man.
    From 1968-1971 he lead the AL in Fielding% for a LF.
    1971...145 GP.....1.000 Fld%.
    Lifetime .360 OBP. From 1969-1972 his OBP. was well over .380.
    Played LF sun brilliantly. With cheap sun glasses.
    15 years with the Yankees.
    My age 10-24 years old, back in the day.
    He was Mr. Yankee.
    1970 lead the Yankees in every major offensive stat.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.roy View Post
    He was Mr. Yankee.
    White, unfortunately, had bad timing. He had the kind of balanced skills that tend to draw less attention than a couple of outstanding skills. He took walks and got on base in an era when that wasn't greatly appreciated. His stats, in an era when pitching dominated hitting, didn't look that impressive. He was the best player on the 1968-9 Yankees, but who cared? He was also the best player on the 1970 team, but that was Munson's rookie year, so who noticed? And the Bobby Murcer turned into a beast for a couple of years, and there was the spotlight...

Damn good player. Very underappreciated.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by mr.roy View Post
    He was Mr. Yankee.
    Andthat's when LF in Yankee Stadium was really difficult to play.

Thread Information