+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: 2016 Brett Gardner thread

Gardy up to a 3.3 WAR (Baseball-ref). (fangraphs has him at 2.2)

15 WAR over the past 4 seasons.
    George, Gabe, Stick >> Hal, Randy, Cashman.

Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    Gardy up to a 3.3 WAR (Baseball-ref). (fangraphs has him at 2.2)

15 WAR over the past 4 seasons.
    That's the thing I hate about WAR. The results all depend on who's doing the calculating.

Sorry to digress from the point of your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    That's the thing I hate about WAR. The results all depend on who's doing the calculating.

Sorry to digress from the point of your post.
    Yes, I wish I had a good explanation.

Gardy's WAR jumped up a lot this month. 3 weeks ago, it was at 2.5. Earlier this week, I think it was at 2.8. And now, 3.3 WAR, which ties last season's mark.

Yanks will have to trade him if they want to open a spot for the younger guys since Yanks are not gonna eat the majority of Ellsburys contract, which will be the only way to move Ellsbury.

Gardner to the Cubs makes sense since Fowler is leaving and Gardner is good security if Schwarber and/or Almora struggle or are injured.

Gardner has to go, he is a below average left field hitter void of any pop anymore.
    He doesn't run anywhere like he used to and his value will be declining more and more.
    A nice guy but he wears down 75% of the way through the season and he's never learned to bunt for hits effectively. Terrible with two strikes on him, swings at ball four far to many times.

Nice kid, good hustle player but at 31 he looks like 35!

Doc

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by doctor dirt View Post
    Gardner has to go, he is a below average left field hitter void of any pop anymore.
    He doesn't run anywhere like he used to and his value will be declining more and more.
    A nice guy but he wears down 75% of the way through the season and he's never learned to bunt for hits effectively. Terrible with two strikes on him, swings at ball four far to many times.

Doc
    Go away
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

Quote Originally Posted by doctor dirt View Post

Doc
    He's 33 but he's aging pretty well actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    He's 33 but he's aging pretty well actually.
    And he didn't fade this year. OPS was actually slightly improved in the 2nd half.

And he didn't fade this year. OPS was actually slightly improved in the 2nd half.
    Which absolutely shocked the ................ out of me. Still wish he had more xbh's, though.

NYYF Legend

Congrats to Brett Gardner ... 2016 Gold Glove winner.

http://m.yankees.mlb.com/news/articl...ers-announced/

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Congrats to Brett Gardner ... 2016 Gold Glove winner.

http://m.yankees.mlb.com/news/articl...ers-announced/
    It is amazing how much more appreciated and respected his is from the baseball world yet most Yankees fans can't wait to get rid of him.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    It is amazing how much more appreciated and respected his is from the baseball world yet most Yankees fans can't wait to get rid of him.
    I don't get that desire to move him either as the player to move is Ellsbury and that cement shoe contract of his. Great job Brett.

NYYF Legend

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

I don't think it's quite that harsh. Perhaps it's because he has one of the more movable contracts on this rebuilding team. I trust the consensus here is to rather move Ellsbury instead, but barring that, Brett's the guy. It's not like the top of the order has been a strength anyway.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Congrats, Brett. 1st GG and long overdue.

He might be slowing down, but his contract is still a bargain, and led the position players in WAR.

Again, Gardner >>> Hicks.

I'll always remember this play- you could make an argument that this was good for 1 WAR. The game thread was fun that night.

This wasn't game saving, but was pretty sweet nonetheless.

(go to 40 sec)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    I don't think it's quite that harsh. Perhaps it's because he has one of the more movable contracts on this rebuilding team. I trust the consensus here is to rather move Ellsbury instead, but barring that, Brett's the guy. It's not like the top of the order has been a strength anyway.
    But why are we penalizing him for agreeing to a team friendly extension? I mean Headley has an identical contract yet no one talks about moving him.

But why are we penalizing him for agreeing to a team friendly extension? I mean Headley has an identical contract yet no one talks about moving him.
    This is exactly why a team friendly contract should come with a no trade clause (from the POV of the player). That is why Giambi wouldn't sign with Oakland with a home town discount without the NTC.

NYYF Legend

We don't have a built in replacement for Headley. If we did, he'd be first on my list of people I want to move.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    We don't have a built in replacement for Headley. If we did, he'd be first on my list of people I want to move.
    Mine too. I just don't think there's much of demand for him.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Absolutely correct! As also stated, there is not a single poster on this board who would not rather move Ells. ................, I would even be agreeable to the Yankees eating nearly half his remaining salary to do so. With that said, I'm not sure I view Gardner as an everyday CF any more, either.

Even without a replacement in the ready for Headley, I think a lot of people would like to see him moved if there were a willing trade partner. Problem is he just doesn't present the value that Gardner does on the trade market.

Headley has a team friendly contract, too. 2 years left at $13 million per season. 2.6 WAR last season, defense is strong.

He's tradable, but I'd like to keep both him and Gardy. That is, unless AJ Preller wants to give us back Solarte for Headley.

Headley has a team friendly contract, too. 2 years left at $13 million per season. 2.6 WAR last season, defense is strong.
    Yes, and a 1.6 WAR the year before. Regardless, looking in the rear view mirror isn't going to tell a team what they're going to get out of a player in his age 33-34 seasons. Especially when that player has chronic back issues. No way of knowing when that back is going to flare up, which I suspect it did in 2015 when his defense was not strong.

I contend that the market is likely not good for Headley. Teams know his age and that he is likely moving into a decline phase. Teams know about his back, which complicates things. Why would anyone want to give up something of value to relieve the Yankees of that problem?

NYYF Legend

He's tradable, but I'd like to keep both him and Gardy. That is, unless AJ Preller wants to give us back Solarte for Headley.
    That WAR is actually somewhat surprising considering how average at best his production is. I'd love to get more of an impact bat from that corner IF position.

Why would anyone want to give up something of value to relieve the Yankees of that problem?
    I don't know why another team would give up something of value, which is why I didn't say one would. But he can be moved if Cash doesn't want much in return. At least, a lot easier than Ellsbury and McCann.

Thread Information