+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: 2016 Brett Gardner thread

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    Actually, I'm glad he's doing well at the moment with his recent hot streak. But that second half last year and almost all of this season so far until this streak has been brutal. He's someone I would consider dealing while his numbers are up.
    That sorta depends on who we replace him with.

Assuming that Judge is the heir apparent in RF and Ells stays healthy after Gardy is theoretically gone....if we replace him with yet another tortoise on the base paths, or a geriatric player, or another team's overpriced FA......then I'd rather keep him.
    George, Gabe, Stick >> Hal, Randy, Cashman.

NYYF Legend

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    That sorta depends on who we replace him with.

Assuming that Judge is the heir apparent in RF and Ells stays healthy after Gardy is theoretically gone....if we replace him with yet another tortoise on the base paths, or a geriatric player, or another team's overpriced FA......then I'd rather keep him.
    I would agree with that. I think at this point they can probably go with Hicks and just scratch up another 4th OFer to back up. I suppose they can pull someone up from Scranton. Considering, of course, that they can get good value for Gardner.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    I would agree with that. I think at this point they can probably go with Hicks and just scratch up another 4th OFer to back up. I suppose they can pull someone up from Scranton. Considering, of course, that they can get good value for Gardner.
    Someone needs to check if there any upcoming FA's that Cashman tried to sign 12 years ago.

NYYF Legend

Did he really bunt with 2 strikes and foul out against a pitcher with a 5.51 ERA?

https://youtu.be/nOuTw2f34W8
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Been a while since his thread got bumped. Here, he seems to have found a second profession ...

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Been a while since his thread got bumped. Here, he seems to have found a second profession ...

Name spelled differently

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Steve View Post
    Name spelled differently
    It's a nom de cuisine ... emphasizing his closeness to the produce.

After this years performance (or lack of) I doubt much in return is a reality. Fact of the matter is even when he gets on the "speed is immobile".
    He still can catch the ball but the arm is beginning to rival Ellsbury and to me it's become an embarrassment. Everyone runs on the Yankees, it's a bad joke at this point.
    I like the guy but his game has past him by and his new contract isn't looking very good right now. Get what you can and reload!
    Doc

Quote Originally Posted by doctor dirt View Post
    After this years performance (or lack of) I doubt much in return is a reality. Fact of the matter is even when he gets on the "speed is immobile".
    He still can catch the ball but the arm is beginning to rival Ellsbury and to me it's become an embarrassment. Everyone runs on the Yankees, it's a bad joke at this point.
    I like the guy but his game has past him by and his new contract isn't looking very good right now. Get what you can and reload!
    Doc
    Depending on the metrics you use, Gardy's new contract can look much better than some people believe.

Since so much of Gardner's value can be tied into his fielding and running, I tend to look at his value via WAR. Gardy has accumulated a combined 5.4 WAR since '15, which was the start of his new contract. That is better than both Ellsbury (3.8 WAR) and Beltran (2.8 WAR), despite making less than Beltran and a lot less than Ellsbury (AAV).

Some sites estimate that a WAR is worth nearly $8,000,000. Gardner can make his contract pay off by averaging ~1.5 WAR each season. He could reasonably finish around 3 WAR this season, which would make his $13,500,000 salary a decent deal this season.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    Depending on the metrics you use, Gardy's new contract can look much better than some people believe.

Since so much of Gardner's value can be tied into his fielding and running, I tend to look at his value via WAR. Gardy has accumulated a combined 5.4 WAR since '15, which was the start of his new contract. That is better than both Ellsbury (3.8 WAR) and Beltran (2.8 WAR), despite making less than Beltran and a lot less than Ellsbury (AAV).

Some sites estimate that a WAR is worth nearly $8,000,000. Gardner can make his contract pay off by averaging ~1.5 WAR each season. He could reasonably finish around 3 WAR this season, which would make his $13,500,000 salary a decent deal this season.
    Well said. All of his intangibles get factored into his WAR so don't just look at his slash line. On the flip side Michael Bourn, as similar player with a similar contract, was DFA at the beginning of the season.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    Well said. All of his intangibles get factored into his WAR so don't just look at his slash line. On the flip side Michael Bourn, as similar player with a similar contract, was DFA at the beginning of the season.
    Just because they are fast outfielders doesn't make them similar.

With the exception of raw stolen base numbers Gardner has pretty much been the superior player in every aspect when compared to Bourn.

I think if the Yanks wanted to move Gardner in the off season, it would not be difficult to do at all.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Just because they are fast outfielders doesn't make them similar.

With the exception of raw stolen base numbers Gardner has pretty much been the superior player in every aspect when compared to Bourn.

I think if the Yanks wanted to move Gardner in the off season, it would not be difficult to do at all.
    Correct, which is one of the main reasons to keep him. Trade out bad contacts.

The problem is more about Elsbury contract and the "problem" moving him. Thats why it needs to be Gardner. I like the guy too but he falls way off the second part of every year now and while Elsbury is a total bust he has better at bat numbers and a contract that would scare King Kong!

DiDi stays (for now) Sanchez is doing well in a brief look. The rest of the position players are ALL questionable.

I'm willing to put Rufsnider sp) at second, bat him 7th and leave the kid alone for a year and see what you have. That plan worked well for DiDi.

If the decline comes quicker than the second half of a season then the guy won't be trade able. Bad on base percentage and no steals to speak of. Gotta go.......
    Doc.

NYYF Legend

It went completely under the radar, but Gardner has really had a bad season. His power disappeared, he'll have a career low in steals, defensive metrics have him as below average. Really didn't do anything well for the Yanks.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    It went completely under the radar, but Gardner has really had a bad season. His power disappeared, he'll have a career low in steals, defensive metrics have him as below average. Really didn't do anything well for the Yanks.
    He is tied for the highest WAR among AL leftfielders at 2.4 (10th among all AL outfielders). He is still a valuable player.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

NYYF Legend

He is tied for the highest WAR among AL leftfielders at 2.4 (10th among all AL outfielders). He is still a valuable player.
    He's getting older and slower everyday. (Aren't we all)

It's time to move him while he can still be moved.
    That's our second Arby's in town. Some say it's better, the fries are curlier, though I wouldn't know. I'm loyal to the original.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    It's time to move him while he can still be moved.
    The Yankees couldn't even move him at the trade deadline, and he's put up a .661 OPS since. He must have almost no value at this point.

And he leads the team with 2.5 WAR. Not bad, when making $13 million.

Last night was an example of his impact without a bat in his hands. His play actually gets broken down into first step, max speed, distance covered, and route efficiency.

If he doesn't make the catch, 3 runs probably score, and a win becomes a 2 run deficit headed into the bottom of the 9th.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v1146134283/t...game_pk=448938

He's in the bottom five among qualifying LF in wOBA/wRC+. Still somewhat valuable.

NYYF Legend

Stop sliding into first, jughead.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    He's in the bottom five among qualifying LF in wOBA/wRC+. Still somewhat valuable.
    He leads the team in OBP, Runs, Triples, HBP, and Sac Flies AND his fielding is a plus. He clearly is not the problem on this team, and he certainly has value.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    He leads the team in OBP, Runs, Triples, HBP, and Sac Flies AND his fielding is a plus. He clearly is not the problem on this team, and he certainly has value.
    He's probably easier to move then Ellsbury but I seriously hope one of Gardner/Ellsbury is not on the Yankees next year.

I'd prefer they move Ellbury but don't really see that happening so if Gardner must go, I'm OK with that.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post

Well, if he is not the problem, he also is not the solution. To use your words, he is not part of a "true commitment to a youth movement." That commitment requires that at least one of the old OFers who do not steal many bases or hit for much power any more be traded. Neither one is going to be part of that future great team we all want.

NYYF HOF

Since July 17th:

Gardner - 4 SB attempts, 3 successful
    Ellsbury - 3 SB attempts, 2 successful

That's just pitiful. IMO these two guys should have been forced to run on a regular basis. Isn't stealing their biggest offensive value to the club? I'm sure they always had the green light. Girardi couldn't have possibly been waiting for the home run (at least not before Sanchez came up) because no one was hitting them.

Was Girardi worried about the team avg w/RISP possibly being even lower? (tongue-in-cheek).
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    Well, if he is not the problem, he also is not the solution. To use your words, he is not part of a "true commitment to a youth movement." That commitment requires that at least one of the old OFers who do not steal many bases or hit for much power any more be traded. Neither one is going to be part of that future great team we all want.
    Fair enough. Always a good argument to get me to eat my own words.

Thread Information