+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 148
  1. #26

    Re: 2016 Brett Gardner thread

    Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    Actually, I'm glad he's doing well at the moment with his recent hot streak. But that second half last year and almost all of this season so far until this streak has been brutal. He's someone I would consider dealing while his numbers are up.
    That sorta depends on who we replace him with.

    Assuming that Judge is the heir apparent in RF and Ells stays healthy after Gardy is theoretically gone....if we replace him with yet another tortoise on the base paths, or a geriatric player, or another team's overpriced FA......then I'd rather keep him.
    George, Gabe, Stick >> Hal, Randy, Cashman.

  2. #27
    NYYF Legend

    apalradio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

    Re: 2016 Brett Gardner thread

    Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    That sorta depends on who we replace him with.

    Assuming that Judge is the heir apparent in RF and Ells stays healthy after Gardy is theoretically gone....if we replace him with yet another tortoise on the base paths, or a geriatric player, or another team's overpriced FA......then I'd rather keep him.
    I would agree with that. I think at this point they can probably go with Hicks and just scratch up another 4th OFer to back up. I suppose they can pull someone up from Scranton. Considering, of course, that they can get good value for Gardner.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

  3. #28

    Re: 2016 Brett Gardner thread

    Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    I would agree with that. I think at this point they can probably go with Hicks and just scratch up another 4th OFer to back up. I suppose they can pull someone up from Scranton. Considering, of course, that they can get good value for Gardner.
    Someone needs to check if there any upcoming FA's that Cashman tried to sign 12 years ago.
    George, Gabe, Stick >> Hal, Randy, Cashman.

  4. #29
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: 2016 Brett Gardner thread

    Did he really bunt with 2 strikes and foul out against a pitcher with a 5.51 ERA?

    https://youtu.be/nOuTw2f34W8
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

  5. #30
    NYYF Legend

    -tz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NYC

    Re: 2016 Brett Gardner thread

    Been a while since his thread got bumped. Here, he seems to have found a second profession ...



  6. #31

    Re: 2016 Brett Gardner thread

    Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Been a while since his thread got bumped. Here, he seems to have found a second profession ...


    Name spelled differently

  7. #32
    NYYF Legend

    -tz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NYC

    Re: 2016 Brett Gardner thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Steve View Post
    Name spelled differently
    It's a nom de cuisine ... emphasizing his closeness to the produce.

  8. #33

    Re: 2016 Brett Gardner thread

    After this years performance (or lack of) I doubt much in return is a reality. Fact of the matter is even when he gets on the "speed is immobile".
    He still can catch the ball but the arm is beginning to rival Ellsbury and to me it's become an embarrassment. Everyone runs on the Yankees, it's a bad joke at this point.
    I like the guy but his game has past him by and his new contract isn't looking very good right now. Get what you can and reload!
    Doc

  9. #34

    Re: 2016 Brett Gardner thread

    Quote Originally Posted by doctor dirt View Post
    After this years performance (or lack of) I doubt much in return is a reality. Fact of the matter is even when he gets on the "speed is immobile".
    He still can catch the ball but the arm is beginning to rival Ellsbury and to me it's become an embarrassment. Everyone runs on the Yankees, it's a bad joke at this point.
    I like the guy but his game has past him by and his new contract isn't looking very good right now. Get what you can and reload!
    Doc
    Depending on the metrics you use, Gardy's new contract can look much better than some people believe.

    Since so much of Gardner's value can be tied into his fielding and running, I tend to look at his value via WAR. Gardy has accumulated a combined 5.4 WAR since '15, which was the start of his new contract. That is better than both Ellsbury (3.8 WAR) and Beltran (2.8 WAR), despite making less than Beltran and a lot less than Ellsbury (AAV).

    Some sites estimate that a WAR is worth nearly $8,000,000. Gardner can make his contract pay off by averaging ~1.5 WAR each season. He could reasonably finish around 3 WAR this season, which would make his $13,500,000 salary a decent deal this season.
    George, Gabe, Stick >> Hal, Randy, Cashman.

  10. #35
    NYYF Legend

    Donnybaseball72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Proud Yankee fan in Red Sox Nation

    Re: 2016 Brett Gardner thread

    Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    Depending on the metrics you use, Gardy's new contract can look much better than some people believe.

    Since so much of Gardner's value can be tied into his fielding and running, I tend to look at his value via WAR. Gardy has accumulated a combined 5.4 WAR since '15, which was the start of his new contract. That is better than both Ellsbury (3.8 WAR) and Beltran (2.8 WAR), despite making less than Beltran and a lot less than Ellsbury (AAV).

    Some sites estimate that a WAR is worth nearly $8,000,000. Gardner can make his contract pay off by averaging ~1.5 WAR each season. He could reasonably finish around 3 WAR this season, which would make his $13,500,000 salary a decent deal this season.
    Well said. All of his intangibles get factored into his WAR so don't just look at his slash line. On the flip side Michael Bourn, as similar player with a similar contract, was DFA at the beginning of the season.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

  11. #36
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2016 Brett Gardner thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    Well said. All of his intangibles get factored into his WAR so don't just look at his slash line. On the flip side Michael Bourn, as similar player with a similar contract, was DFA at the beginning of the season.
    Just because they are fast outfielders doesn't make them similar.

    With the exception of raw stolen base numbers Gardner has pretty much been the superior player in every aspect when compared to Bourn.

    I think if the Yanks wanted to move Gardner in the off season, it would not be difficult to do at all.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  12. #37

    Re: 2016 Brett Gardner thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Just because they are fast outfielders doesn't make them similar.

    With the exception of raw stolen base numbers Gardner has pretty much been the superior player in every aspect when compared to Bourn.

    I think if the Yanks wanted to move Gardner in the off season, it would not be difficult to do at all.
    Correct, which is one of the main reasons to keep him. Trade out bad contacts.
    George, Gabe, Stick >> Hal, Randy, Cashman.

  13. #38

    Re: 2016 Brett Gardner thread

    The problem is more about Elsbury contract and the "problem" moving him. Thats why it needs to be Gardner. I like the guy too but he falls way off the second part of every year now and while Elsbury is a total bust he has better at bat numbers and a contract that would scare King Kong!


    DiDi stays (for now) Sanchez is doing well in a brief look. The rest of the position players are ALL questionable.

    I'm willing to put Rufsnider sp) at second, bat him 7th and leave the kid alone for a year and see what you have. That plan worked well for DiDi.

    If the decline comes quicker than the second half of a season then the guy won't be trade able. Bad on base percentage and no steals to speak of. Gotta go.......
    Doc.

  14. #39
    NYYF Legend

    THEBOSS84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn

    Re: 2016 Brett Gardner thread

    It went completely under the radar, but Gardner has really had a bad season. His power disappeared, he'll have a career low in steals, defensive metrics have him as below average. Really didn't do anything well for the Yanks.

  15. #40
    NYYF Legend

    Donnybaseball72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Proud Yankee fan in Red Sox Nation

    Re: 2016 Brett Gardner thread

    Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    It went completely under the radar, but Gardner has really had a bad season. His power disappeared, he'll have a career low in steals, defensive metrics have him as below average. Really didn't do anything well for the Yanks.
    He is tied for the highest WAR among AL leftfielders at 2.4 (10th among all AL outfielders). He is still a valuable player.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

  16. #41
    NYYF Legend

    JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Still under the unfinished breezeway

    Re: 2016 Brett Gardner thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    He is tied for the highest WAR among AL leftfielders at 2.4 (10th among all AL outfielders). He is still a valuable player.
    He's getting older and slower everyday. (Aren't we all)

    It's time to move him while he can still be moved.
    That's our second Arby's in town. Some say it's better, the fries are curlier, though I wouldn't know. I'm loyal to the original.

  17. #42

    Re: 2016 Brett Gardner thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    It's time to move him while he can still be moved.
    The Yankees couldn't even move him at the trade deadline, and he's put up a .661 OPS since. He must have almost no value at this point.

  18. #43

    Re: 2016 Brett Gardner thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    He is tied for the highest WAR among AL leftfielders at 2.4 (10th among all AL outfielders). He is still a valuable player.
    And he leads the team with 2.5 WAR. Not bad, when making $13 million.

    Last night was an example of his impact without a bat in his hands. His play actually gets broken down into first step, max speed, distance covered, and route efficiency.

    If he doesn't make the catch, 3 runs probably score, and a win becomes a 2 run deficit headed into the bottom of the 9th.


    http://m.mlb.com/video/v1146134283/t...game_pk=448938
    George, Gabe, Stick >> Hal, Randy, Cashman.

  19. #44
    Better than you teknetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NJ

    Re: 2016 Brett Gardner thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    He is tied for the highest WAR among AL leftfielders at 2.4 (10th among all AL outfielders). He is still a valuable player.
    He's in the bottom five among qualifying LF in wOBA/wRC+. Still somewhat valuable.

  20. #45
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: 2016 Brett Gardner thread

    Stop sliding into first, jughead.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

  21. #46

    Re: 2016 Brett Gardner thread

    Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    He's in the bottom five among qualifying LF in wOBA/wRC+. Still somewhat valuable.
    He leads the team in OBP, Runs, Triples, HBP, and Sac Flies AND his fielding is a plus. He clearly is not the problem on this team, and he certainly has value.

  22. #47
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2016 Brett Gardner thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    He leads the team in OBP, Runs, Triples, HBP, and Sac Flies AND his fielding is a plus. He clearly is not the problem on this team, and he certainly has value.
    He's probably easier to move then Ellsbury but I seriously hope one of Gardner/Ellsbury is not on the Yankees next year.

    I'd prefer they move Ellbury but don't really see that happening so if Gardner must go, I'm OK with that.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  23. #48

    Re: 2016 Brett Gardner thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    He leads the team in OBP, Runs, Triples, HBP, and Sac Flies AND his fielding is a plus. He clearly is not the problem on this team, and he certainly has value.

    Well, if he is not the problem, he also is not the solution. To use your words, he is not part of a "true commitment to a youth movement." That commitment requires that at least one of the old OFers who do not steal many bases or hit for much power any more be traded. Neither one is going to be part of that future great team we all want.

  24. #49
    NYYF HOF

    sjb23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl

    Re: 2016 Brett Gardner thread

    Since July 17th:

    Gardner - 4 SB attempts, 3 successful
    Ellsbury - 3 SB attempts, 2 successful

    That's just pitiful. IMO these two guys should have been forced to run on a regular basis. Isn't stealing their biggest offensive value to the club? I'm sure they always had the green light. Girardi couldn't have possibly been waiting for the home run (at least not before Sanchez came up) because no one was hitting them.

    Was Girardi worried about the team avg w/RISP possibly being even lower? (tongue-in-cheek).
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

  25. #50

    Re: 2016 Brett Gardner thread

    Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    Well, if he is not the problem, he also is not the solution. To use your words, he is not part of a "true commitment to a youth movement." That commitment requires that at least one of the old OFers who do not steal many bases or hit for much power any more be traded. Neither one is going to be part of that future great team we all want.
    Fair enough. Always a good argument to get me to eat my own words.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts