+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 ... LastLast

Re: 2016 New York Giants Thread

Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    I wanted Tunsil, too. But I wasn't expecting it as character issues mean a lot to this team, imo. I think he'll end up being a steal.
    That's certainly a long-standing perception, but I just don't understand where the Giants draw the line with "character issues". Ahmad Bradshaw got caught drinking underage and ran from the police. Mario Manningham was a known pothead who scored a 6 on the Wonderlic and got arrested in possession of weed and vicodin. Jayron Hosley failed a drug test at the combine. You see stuff like that and, as I mentioned, see their support of guys like JPP, Bromley, and Diehl, and you just wonder why Tunsil's "sins" were unforgivable. I know the draft's not over, but we're looking at another year of Marshall Newhouse right now!

I'll certainly hope for the best with Apple, but when you look at value it's just a bad job by Reese. The guy has made 64 draft picks and hasn't had the cojones to trade down once.

Quote Originally Posted by Panamaniac42 View Post
    That's certainly a long-standing perception, but I just don't understand where the Giants draw the line with "character issues". Ahmad Bradshaw got caught drinking underage and ran from the police. Mario Manningham was a known pothead who scored a 6 on the Wonderlic and got arrested in possession of weed and vicodin. Jayron Hosley failed a drug test at the combine. You see stuff like that and, as I mentioned, see their support of guys like JPP, Bromley, and Diehl, and you just wonder why Tunsil's "sins" were unforgivable. I know the draft's not over, but we're looking at another year of Marshall Newhouse right now!

I'll certainly hope for the best with Apple, but when you look at value it's just a bad job by Reese. The guy has made 64 draft picks and hasn't had the cojones to trade down once.
    Those issues were not as public and they weren't taken with the 10th pick. Not that I myself have taken him because I would have.

The moralities in this league are random.
    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa."

Quote Originally Posted by The Dynasty Years View Post
    If they like Apple that much, I think they could/should have rolled the dice that he would still be there at 18.
    Quite a few post-draft reports suggest he would have been gone within a few picks of 10 if he wasn't taken there by us.

Kinda wish they went with Ragland and waited until Round 3 for a WR (i.e. Carroo) but I like the Shepard pick. Hopefully Eli has enough time to throw to him with whatever turnstile is put at RT.

Edit: holy sh*t, Shepard's back story...

https://youtu.be/fIHOkBgLc58
    Last edited by Panamaniac42; 04-29-16 at 08:12 PM.

Problem I have with the Shepard pick is that he can't play the outside. He is 5'9 so he is strictly going to be a slot guy. Thats fine but honestly Harris filled that role adequately last year and if Cruz is able to make it back that is his position as well. We still have nobody to play on the other side of OBJ.

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    Problem I have with the Shepard pick is that he can't play the outside. He is 5'9 so he is strictly going to be a slot guy. Thats fine but honestly Harris filled that role adequately last year and if Cruz is able to make it back that is his position as well. We still have nobody to play on the other side of OBJ.
    Yeah agreed on that, they must not have a lot of faith in Cruz even contributing again in an impactful way (not that I blame them).

Are there any veterans still out there? A guy like Wallace, Boldin, etc...... Not sure who signed where.

Edit- Looks like guys like Andre Johnson, Roddy White, Jennings, Colston, Boldin, Floyd, Bowe are still UFAs... Not much to get excited about...

It's weird...I really like the first two picks when looking at them in a vacuum. But in the context of what this team really needs and from a value perspective, Reese seems to have badly misplayed this draft.

Another RB.

Reese favorite draft positions. RB, WR, CB, DE. Nothing else matters.

They have no right side OL.

NYYF Legend

I really like this draft. Kyle Murphy would have been nice in the 6th rd but it was hard to pass on Adams.

NYYF Legend

The need to sign some NDFA offensive linemen today.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    The need to sign some NDFA offensive linemen today.
    15 signed not one OL??

So I guess we have to suffer thru another season of turnstile Newhouse on the OL? One of these years Eli is going to get injured because of Reese's inability to build a proper OL.

There is alot of talk that we wanted Floyd but somebody in Reese's war room let that leak out. The Bears found out and then traded up to 9. Reese, without a backup plan, panicked and took Apple. I mean stuff like this is just unacceptable. First of all, letting information leak is a joke. Stop acting like high school kids spreading gossip. Maybe worst of all though, how do you not have a backup plan? This is the draft. Crazy things happen and you need to be prepared for that. I mean when I run my fantasy drafts I have contingency plans for certain things that may happen. And that is a fake draft for a fake league that means nothing. You're telling me a GM of a real life professional sports team is not prepared? and doesn't have several backup plans?

I cant stress enough how much of an embarassment this is. I also dont know how to explain it other then Reese is in way over his head and has no clue what he's doing. He is one of the worst GM's I ever seen. He absolutely lucked into two SB victories. 98% of the work was done by Ernie Accorsi. He made the trade for Eli, he drafted Tuck and Osi, drafted Corey Webster and Jacobs, and he put together that great OL we had. He signed Burress and Antonio Pierce. Reese absolutely rode the coattails of that core that Accorsi built. Yes he's had a few solid picks here and there; JPP has been mostly good. Obviously he hit a HR with Beckham. Outside of that, his track record of drafting and FA signings is downright absymal. He has completely neglected several key areas of this team such as OL and LB. If you really go back and look closely at the drafts he has run....they are dreadful.

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

gotta say, i like this draft for the giants. you got four players that really will help you pretty soon. not a fan of smaller WR but shepherd is a rare exception. hands and the best route running skills. equally, paul perkins in the third round would have been solid but getting him in the fifth? jeez, that's superb. very surprised adams lasted to the sixth. could be a big time playmaker. very willing blocker. refine his technique and he could be an excellent player. apple might be the weakest pick in the draft and i think he'll end up being an effective starter over the long run.

So I guess we have to suffer thru another season of turnstile Newhouse on the OL? One of these years Eli is going to get injured because of Reese's inability to build a proper OL.

There is alot of talk that we wanted Floyd but somebody in Reese's war room let that leak out. The Bears found out and then traded up to 9. Reese, without a backup plan, panicked and took Apple. I mean stuff like this is just unacceptable. First of all, letting information leak is a joke. Stop acting like high school kids spreading gossip. Maybe worst of all though, how do you not have a backup plan? This is the draft. Crazy things happen and you need to be prepared for that. I mean when I run my fantasy drafts I have contingency plans for certain things that may happen. And that is a fake draft for a fake league that means nothing. You're telling me a GM of a real life professional sports team is not prepared? and doesn't have several backup plans?

I cant stress enough how much of an embarassment this is. I also dont know how to explain it other then Reese is in way over his head and has no clue what he's doing. He is one of the worst GM's I ever seen. He absolutely lucked into two SB victories. 98% of the work was done by Ernie Accorsi. He made the trade for Eli, he drafted Tuck and Osi, drafted Corey Webster and Jacobs, and he put together that great OL we had. He signed Burress and Antonio Pierce. Reese absolutely rode the coattails of that core that Accorsi built. Yes he's had a few solid picks here and there; JPP has been mostly good. Obviously he hit a HR with Beckham. Outside of that, his track record of drafting and FA signings is downright absymal. He has completely neglected several key areas of this team such as OL and LB. If you really go back and look closely at the drafts he has run....they are dreadful.
    His eye for talent suppose to be pass rushers, yet JPP is the only legit pass rusher he's drafter in 9 years.
    I know he was previously a scout for the Giants, but that doesn't prove it was specifically him finding those Ernie pass rushers. His record in that area since becoming GM speaks for itself.

Matt Slauson was released by the Bears a couple days ago. Maybe sign him and move Pugh back to RT? I know Pugh was rough at RT a couple years ago but he cant be worse than Newhouse right? Also saw Rolle is back on the market and wants to come back.....

Quote Originally Posted by wang+cano=future View Post
    Also saw Rolle is back on the market and wants to come back.....
    Yeah well, I want to be a NY Giant too. He and I may not be equally qualified, but the gap is narrowing. (Slauson on the other hand I wouldn't mind seeing here).

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    Yeah well, I want to be a NY Giant too. He and I may not be equally qualified, but the gap is narrowing. (Slauson on the other hand I wouldn't mind seeing here).
    They definitely missed him in the locker room last year, but yeah...turn the page.

Quote Originally Posted by wang+cano=future View Post
    Matt Slauson was released by the Bears a couple days ago. Maybe sign him and move Pugh back to RT? I know Pugh was rough at RT a couple years ago but he cant be worse than Newhouse right? Also saw Rolle is back on the market and wants to come back.....
    I'd like to keep Pugh at LG. Plug Slauson in at RG, giving Bobby Hart some more time (unless they feel he's worth a shot at RT).

As for RT, I guess we're left hoping for Eugene Monroe to be released or put on the trade block, or seeing if something can be done to acquire Anthony Davis (if his head is screwed on straight and he's really ready to play again).

Ill do backflips if they can get Anthony Davis from the 49ers if/when he un-retires. He makes too much sense for the Giants at RT. Would do more backflips if they can sign Slauson. Davis and Slauson would help so much on the right side. I know its all speculation at this point and probably makes too much sense for Reese to actually do.

http://www.bigblueview.com/2016/4/11...rancisco-49ers

http://www.bigblueview.com/2016/5/1/...ew-york-giants

NYYF Legend

We might have a new RT soon.

SPN's Adam Schefter reports the Ravens were talking a Monroe trade with the Giants, but the deal fell through, and Baltimore has decided to release the eight-year veteran. The G-Men have an obvious need with replacement-talent veteran Marshall Newhouse currently manning right tackle and second-year LT Ereck Flowers coming off a bad pass-protecting season. Schefter mentions the Giants, Chargers, and Seahawks as possible landing spots for Monroe, who lost his job in Baltimore after the Ravens drafted LT Ronnie Stanley at No. 6 overall. Monroe has missed 15 games due to injury over the past two seasons.
    http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5198/eugene-monroe\

They've lost out on a few decent LT options in order to keep Flowers there. I hope they were right to do so.

NYYF Legend

Monroe refuses to play LT even thought there are no RT jobs available in the NFL. What a schmuck.

NYYF Legend

Did anyone watch the 1st preseason game? How did we look? Why didn't Eli play? Will Cruz ever play again?

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    Did anyone watch the 1st preseason game? How did we look? Why didn't Eli play? Will Cruz ever play again?
    McAdoo didnt think it was necessary for Eli to play. I dont think Cruz will even make the team if he cant get on the field for a couple of these preseason games.

Josh Brown has been suspended for the opening game at Dallas for violating the league's personal conduct policy. No info yet on what exactly he did.

Thread Information