Page 3 of 173 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 53 103 ... LastLast
    Richmond Virginians

Re: 2016 Minor league news and notes

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by TheHugeUnit2 View Post
    Sickels 2016 list for the Yankees prospects

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2016/...pects-for-2016

Seems like a deeper system, but not too many great players.
    I realize Clarkin has been injured but I don't get ranking him behind Holder. Neither have really put up stellar numbers thus far so if you are ranking on their projections, a "#3 starter" (which is how Sickels describes Clarkin) should be more valuable than a slick fielding infielder who can't hit a lick.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    I realize Clarkin has been injured but I don't get ranking him behind Holder. Neither have really put up stellar numbers thus far so if you are ranking on their projections, a "#3 starter" (which is how Sickels describes Clarkin) should be more valuable than a slick fielding infielder who can't hit a lick.
    I think it's because Holder is already a slick-fielding infielder who can't hit. His defense is major-league ready, he's a usable piece right now in some capacity, even if he wouldn't be more than a utility IF at this point. High floor.

Clarkin, on the other hand, has the ceiling of a SP3, but the floor is that he doesn't even become a usable ML piece.
    On the other hand, you have different fingers.

my blog: http://nybaseballoffice.blogspot.com

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Stache Fan View Post
    I think it's because Holder is already a slick-fielding infielder who can't hit. His defense is major-league ready, he's a usable piece right now in some capacity, even if he wouldn't be more than a utility IF at this point. High floor.

Clarkin, on the other hand, has the ceiling of a SP3, but the floor is that he doesn't even become a usable ML piece.
    Wow. A point of view I have no argument for. I like it.
    "No, I would not like to reconsider being a Yankee fan, and no, marrying a New Englander should have no bearing on it."

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Stache Fan View Post

Fair enough.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

https://www.sny.tv/yankees/news/base...pect/163147694

Outfielder Aaron Judge, shortstop Jorge Mateo and catcher Gary Sanchez were all ranked among the top 101 prospects in baseball, according to Baseball Prospectus.

Judge was ranked 18th, Mateo 65th and Sanchez 92nd.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

NYYF Legend

Aaron can do it all but needs to work on his pitch selection and cover the outside of the plate. They were wise to him last year and pounded him there. Aaron also had an issue with his lower back or hip. I can't remember which. If he can conquer those issues he will be a force to be reckoned with. His power is a fun watch.
    Last edited by Yankyfan; 02-01-16 at 05:16 PM.

MLB.com top 100 http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2016/?list=prospects

30) Mateo
    31) Judge
    59) Sanchez

Change your AV you hex.

Anyone know how fast Cale Coshow is likely to move?

NYYF Legend

So is Austin the opening day SWB 1st baseman or is Roller still in the system?
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

NYYF Legend

Roller is no longer in the system. It might be Austin, by default.

From yesterday.

Brendan Kuty:
    Cashman: Tyler Austin's not expected to be an option at Triple-A SWB at first base.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    Anyone know how fast Cale Coshow is likely to move?
    Hard to say. They got somewhat aggressive with him last year but he still has a lot to prove. Tremendous arm strength (up to 99-100 in the pen) but still has to prove his arm and his big body can hold up over a full year starting. They began building him up last year but less than half of his appearances in 2015 were starts.

I know there are exceptions to the big-body guys but I don't think he's athletic enough to be a 200-inning horse unless he drops weight and better conditions himself for the long term. I think he started to do that last year and he pitched well enough at Trenton but he turns 24 in July and is still kind of raw IMO. If he pitches well in the EL all year I'd be very satisfied with that.

e: If you want to see something great, watch Cale's swing mechanics from a HS scouting video: http://www.baseballwebtv.com/Video.aspx?videoID=34198
    Last edited by Melancynic; 02-02-16 at 03:20 PM.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by hairnovaaa View Post
    From yesterday.

Brendan Kuty:
    Cashman: Tyler Austin's not expected to be an option at Triple-A SWB at first base.
    Who are they going to get to replace Byrd? Sign a free agent?
    When I was a kid, my father told me, "Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it."

Quote Originally Posted by Melancynic View Post
    Hard to say. They got somewhat aggressive with him last year but he still has a lot to prove. Tremendous arm strength (up to 99-100 in the pen) but still has to prove his arm and his big body can hold up over a full year starting. They began building him up last year but less than half of his appearances in 2015 were starts.

I know there are exceptions to the big-body guys but I don't think he's athletic enough to be a 200-inning horse unless he drops weight and better conditions himself for the long term. I think he started to do that last year and he pitched well enough at Trenton but he turns 24 in July and is still kind of raw IMO. If he pitches well in the EL all year I'd be very satisfied with that.

e: If you want to see something great, watch Cale's swing mechanics from a HS scouting video: http://www.baseballwebtv.com/Video.aspx?videoID=34198
    lol @ the video. Needs more dirt.

That's kinda what I was expecting. Slow moving if he's kept a starter. If they scrap that plan, I can see him being a very quick riser as a relief arm.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    That's kinda what I was expecting. Slow moving if he's kept a starter. If they scrap that plan, I can see him being a very quick riser as a relief arm.
    Absolutely. He already has closing experience and "looks" the part of a late-inning reliever. Even his delivery is reliever-esqe. Rookie Davis, on the other hand, looked the part of a starter. Hopefully Coshow breaks out and takes a step forward in becoming a legit starting pitcher. He's got the tools - cutter/curve/changeup can be decent to average offerings backed up by a heavy 94-96 FB - but will be very interesting to see how he responds to a full season at Trenton.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    Roller is no longer in the system. It might be Austin, by default.
    I think Roller signed with TB?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Melancynic View Post

I agree. As a starter.

NYYF Legend

The Yanks sign a RHP and 3b from Korean League http://www.baseballamerica.com/minor...ons-jan-21-29/

Quote Originally Posted by Yankyfan View Post
    As a starter.
    Well yeah, that's obviously the role I was talking about.

I wouldn't be happy if Coshow was converted back into a reliever in Trenton next year. He may very well hold his greatest value as a back-of-the-bullpen guy but he should be given the opportunity to start until proven otherwise.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by hairnovaaa View Post
    From yesterday.

Brendan Kuty:
    if so, who is the AAA 1B? In fact, who is the AA 1B? And don't tell me Bichette.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    if so, who is the AAA 1B? In fact, who is the AA 1B? And don't tell me Bichette.
    Would you consider putting Judge at 1B during spring training to see how he could handle the position?

Just asking.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Would you consider putting Judge at 1B during spring training to see how he could handle the position?

Just asking.
    That would be a real waste considering he is a good OFer. But more importantly, you don't mess with your top prospects, especially one who needs to hurdle some issues at the plate in AAA first. Adding a new position would be a terrible decision, and unnecessary.

Thread Information