+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 173 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Re: 2016 Minor league news and notes

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    I'll give rpimpsner credit for this-

Yankees release Angelo Gumbs and Isaias Tejeda.
    That draft was monkey butt ugly at the top. Sheesh.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFortune3 View Post
    That draft was monkey butt ugly at the top. Sheesh.
    Really was. I liked Gumbs a lot and, like YF already said, there was a time where it looked like Angelo was going to breakout. It just never happened.

I remember reading "wait 5 years before you judge a draft."

Culver 32
    Syndergaard 38

Roller 265
    DeGrom 272

Can I have another 5 years?
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    I don't mind that they picked him, but he definitely would have been there for the taking at least in the 2nd or 3rd round
    I don't know how you can say he definitely would have been there in round 2 or 3.

NYYF Legend

because he wasn't a consensus 1st round pick?
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BomberBrian View Post
    I don't know how you can say he definitely would have been there in round 2 or 3.
    The pick was terrible as soon as it was made. Just like we all knew it the moment Culver and Bleich were picked.

NYYF Cy Young

I didn't like the Holder pick but I have to admit that he's an interesting story. Two sport athlete who didn't even fully commit to baseball last year. I've read a couple of his ex-coaches say he is an amazingly skillful player at whatever he chooses. So I can why the Yankees were interested. But he's not going to suddenly outplay Mateo or other prospects farther up the ladder. They should have gone with somebody else that early in the draft.
    When I was a kid, my father told me, "Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it."

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    because he wasn't a consensus 1st round pick?
    So because he wasn't a consensus first round pick now you know that he will definitely be available either 27 picks or 62 picks later?

BA had him ranked 38th overall and the 8th rated SS (5th College SS). MLB.com had him 51st overall and the 9th rated SS (6th College SS).

At pick 30 he ended up being the 7th SS taken and the 5th College SS.

It is entirely possible that he would not be available at pick 57.

NYYF Legend

don't get me wrong, i wouldn't have minded if they didn't use the pick on him

it was a reach pick no matter how much anyone tries to justify it
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    The pick was terrible as soon as it was made. Just like we all knew it the moment Culver and Bleich were picked.
    I remember watching the draft and the reaction to that pick was sad. No one knew about him, it was like the Yankees had picked myself in the draft. The entire draft was pretty ................ty. Whitley and Williams might be the best guys we picked. I guess we can hold out for Mason Williams seeing the light and becoming a legit player, but the chance of him doing that...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dpbddd99 View Post
    Article on Holder. Still think his selection was a major reach.

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/...rt_river_index
    I hated the pick but the guy is the real deal at short. Kyle is fundamentally sound and when he went the other way with an outside pitch he didn't display the upper cut. I think he can alter that swing ,and could be a valuable pick. I know it's easier said then done .

NYYF Legend

Holder was projected to be picked between late first round and second round. He's not Culver.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Holder was projected to be picked between late first round and second round. He's not Culver.
    Holder was not an over-draft. He went right where most draft experts predicted. The kid can play. His glove is the real deal and has a solid approach at the plate. I see him putting on a bit more muscle and then you will see some of the balls missing gloves more.
    Get the Yankees prospect coverage you deserve at http://www.pinstripedprospects.com/!

the all field project bat ss type rarely work out. yea you are dreaming of lindor but they simply don't draft high enough to be in play for actually good prospects in that profile. the typical good ss prospect is uber athletic and basically is too good to be missed or slide down to the 20's.
    always reasonable

Aaron Judge Career Homer #8
    http://m.mlb.com/video/v1294788283/s...-to-deep-right

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    the all field project bat ss type rarely work out. yea you are dreaming of lindor but they simply don't draft high enough to be in play for actually good prospects in that profile. the typical good ss prospect is uber athletic and basically is too good to be missed or slide down to the 20's.
    Will he hit enough to support the glove ? I don't know ? I will say that you're right, most of these type picks don't work out but he started baseball late after playing basketball , he is a top athlete and i feel a lot better about the pick after seeing him play.

Sickels 2016 list for the Yankees prospects

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2016/...pects-for-2016

Seems like a deeper system, but not too many great players.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by TheHugeUnit2 View Post

So glad that Sickels mentioned Cale Coshow. I have totally missed him until reading the list. Coshow looks like a very interesting prospect. Could be last season Rookie Davis or even better.

NYYF Legend

So glad that Sickels mentioned Cale Coshow. I have totally missed him until reading the list. Coshow looks like a very interesting prospect. Could be last season Rookie Davis or even better.
    Well he throws harder for sure. Cale is a big kid but needs to keep the pounds off .

NYYF Cy Young

I think we will see a general improvement of the quality of prospects. They just need a few more years of retaining draft picks and continuing signing international free agents (once the spending limit goes up again). The hiring of Denbo and the turnover in player development really did the trick.
    When I was a kid, my father told me, "Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it."

NYYF Legend

Minor league transactions per BA...I would have to think Wandy Soto is another IFA signing, being I can't find anything on him......http://www.baseballamerica.com/minor...ons-jan-15-21/

Quote Originally Posted by oneill96 View Post
    I think we will see a general improvement of the quality of prospects. They just need a few more years of retaining draft picks and continuing signing international free agents (once the spending limit goes up again). The hiring of Denbo and the turnover in player development really did the trick.
    Yep, we really need to hit on this draft 1st rounder. Hopefully some how we are able to add some picks next year too with Chapman, Tex, and maybe even Nova (He might be a top 10 pitcher in a weak pitching class). Really hoping for Cal Quantril with our pick as of right now, I know it's 6 months out though so a lot can change. We need our 2014 IFA class to start to make some moves. You have to figure Sanchez and maybe even Judge will lose their prospect status and we'll probably be crushed with injuries again too.

NYYF Legend

Yep, we really need to hit on this draft 1st rounder. Hopefully some how we are able to add some picks next year too with Chapman, Tex, and maybe even Nova (He might be a top 10 pitcher in a weak pitching class). Really hoping for Cal Quantril with our pick as of right now, I know it's 6 months out though so a lot can change. We need our 2014 IFA class to start to make some moves. You have to figure Sanchez and maybe even Judge will lose their prospect status and we'll probably be crushed with injuries again too.
    More pick's would be great but only Chapman, I believe would bring back a pick.Unless Nova has a good year , I don't think they would offer a 1 year deal for 16 mill.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankyfan View Post
    More pick's would be great but only Chapman, I believe would bring back a pick.Unless Nova has a good year , I don't think they would offer a 1 year deal for 16 mill.
    Seeing what Kennedy got, and how weak the entire free agent class is, I think its possible we can get a pick from him. I'm still thinking he'll be our 5th starter somehow, given how prone our starters are to injuries. I can see him putting up solid numbers and if he does, he might end up being a top 5 pitcher on the market next year.

NYYF Legend

Seeing what Kennedy got, and how weak the entire free agent class is, I think its possible we can get a pick from him. I'm still thinking he'll be our 5th starter somehow, given how prone our starters are to injuries. I can see him putting up solid numbers and if he does, he might end up being a top 5 pitcher on the market next year.
    That would be great if it happens.

Huge FB. Not as polished as Rookie but elite arm strength. Him and Acevedo have monster ceilings if they (somehow) remain starters.

Thread Information