Closed Thread
Page 1462 of 1501 FirstFirst ... 462 962 1362 1412 1452 1459 1460 1461 1462 1463 1464 1465 1472 ... LastLast
Results 36,526 to 36,550 of 37508

Thread: Election 2016

NYYF Legend

Re: Election 2016

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    Do you know the final decision for Softbank? I read that they decided to invest in the US based on something similar. Someone here countered with an article that said the funds were already there, pre-trump, but that didn't mean much, since where the funds were going to be spent is the question.

Do you know if that was all fake news BS?
    Softbank will be making investments in the US from this new $100B fund. Trump made a big show about bringing in that investment. Yes the money was probably already there for the fund, but I would say they'll be more aggressive in deploying the capital in a pro-business administration under Trump.

Nobody knows how much will go towards supporting start-ups vis-a-vis acquiring existing established co's, but it's a good sign of economic activity. Basically the sign on the white house lawn right now is "open for business". The Trump haters will continue screaming for 4 years open for his "personal" business, but so far the stock market & financial sector have been betting on big improvements for the entire economy

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    It's hard to watch.
    The exchange with the CNN reporter is who this guy is. A bully that won't tolerate anyone questioning him.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Softbank will be making investments in the US from this new $100B fund. Trump made a big show about bringing in that investment. Yes the money was probably already there for the fund, but I would say they'll be more aggressive in deploying the capital in a pro-business administration under Trump.

Nobody knows how much will go towards supporting start-ups vis-a-vis acquiring existing established co's, but it's a good sign of economic activity. Basically the sign on the white house lawn right now is "open for business". The Trump haters will continue screaming for 4 years open for his "personal" business, but so far the stock market & financial sector have been betting on big improvements for the entire economy
    YEah, I'd say pro-business environments tend to be good news for working people. Just look at how much the banks did for everyone when they let them get into all those expensive homes they couldn't afford.

Just some FYI stuff.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...en-study-finds

Sweden’s most authoritative foreign policy institute has accused Russia of using fake news, false documents and disinformation as part of a coordinated campaign to influence public opinion and decision-making in the Scandinavian country.
    Moscow’s main aim was to “preserve the geo-strategic status quo” by minimising Nato’s role in the Baltic region and keeping Sweden out of the international military alliance, the study said.

Following accusations that Russian hackers interfered with the US presidential election and similar concerns expressed in Germany, the authors said their study confirmed a “growing body of research highlighting Russia’s increasing use of active measures as a foreign policy tool towards western states” since 2014.

“We believe it demonstrates an intent to influence decision-making,” Martin Kragh, one of the report’s authors, told Dagens Nyheter newspaper. “That is in itself a reason to try to document and understand the ways in which it is being done.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gregorius Chant View Post
    The exchange with the CNN reporter is who this guy is. A bully that won't tolerate anyone questioning him.
    The question about media reform came from a Breitbart reporter.

It's amazing is how adept he is at accusing people of doing exactly what he does to everyone else.
    CONTRACTS and only CONTRACTS determine how much GMs value players

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    B
    Because the "leak" did not mention a Kentucky Klondike Bar or an Alabama Hot Pocket.
    I'm going to show restraint and not head over to urban dictionary. Yes, this is based on past experiences.
    George, Gabe, Stick >>> Hal, Randy, Cash

NYYF Legend

He stated they want to repeal and replace the ACA, and it would happen on the same day. That'll be interesting.

He's also still totally all about building the Mexican wall. I can't imagine a scenario where this gets done. I can see it being started and then the funding for it is pulled, and stopped (like one of his condo/hotels in Rosarito, Mexico). They build it in California and Arizona then Mexicans start instagram'ing them hopping over with ladders. Would be brilliant. Can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricStuff View Post
    It's amazing is how adept he is at accusing people of doing exactly what he does to everyone else.
    First and foremost, he's pretty dumb. He doesn't have the normal instincts or vocabulary to properly defend himself. Part of that is probably due to not needing to up until now.

There's also the problem that most of what's charged against him is true.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    It's brilliant really. Absolutely genius. Everyone needs to get together and start doing it to Russia until Putin is removed from power.

NYYF Legend

The only people concerned with Donald Trump's tax returns are reporters?

Aren't reporters, by extension, the media, which of course is short for intermediate, which is to provide information from the powers that be to the people?

He stated they want to repeal and replace the ACA, and it would happen on the same day. That'll be interesting.
    Yes, and this is how he phrased it:

"Almost simultaneously, shortly thereafter."

He's also still totally all about building the Mexican wall. I can't imagine a scenario where this gets done. I can see it being started and then the funding for it is pulled, and stopped (like one of his condo/hotels in Rosarito, Mexico). They build it in California and Arizona then Mexicans start instagram'ing out them hopping over with ladders. Would be brilliant. Can't wait.
    He's not building a wall. Especially now that the theme is "We'll pay for it, and then send the receipt to Mexico."

2 - It's not a movement. Not a populist revolt. He lost the pop vote by nearly 3m, and barely won the EC.
    I don't see how anyone (other than Donald Trump) could look at the election results and see a populist revolt or any sort of a mandate. So, I agree with your premise. But, I have to question your math skills.

Hillary Clinton received 65,844,954 votes, to Trump's 62,979,879. That means she got 4.5% more votes than he did. In the Electoral College, Trump earned 306 votes, compared to Clinton's 232 (I'm looking at earned votes rather than actual votes, discounting faithless Electors). That means he got 31.9% more EC votes than she did (33.9% if you look at the actuals). Barely won the EC? His EC margin was significantly greater than her popular vote margin. In reality, he had a comfortable EC win, compared to her razor-thin popular vote plurality.

Just sayin'.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    I don't see how anyone (other than Donald Trump) could look at the election results and see a populist revolt or any sort of a mandate. So, I agree with your premise. But, I have to question your math skills.

Hillary Clinton received 65,844,954 votes, to Trump's 62,979,879. That means she got 4.5% more votes than he did. In the Electoral College, Trump earned 306 votes, compared to Clinton's 232 (I'm looking at earned votes rather than actual votes, discounting faithless Electors). That means he got 31.9% more EC votes than she did (33.9% if you look at the actuals). Barely won the EC? His EC margin was significantly greater than her popular vote margin. In reality, he had a comfortable EC win, compared to her razor-thin popular vote plurality.

Just sayin'.
    How does one win EC votes?

YEah, I'd say pro-business environments tend to be good news for working people. Just look at how much the banks did for everyone when they let them get into all those expensive homes they couldn't afford.
    College was costing too much, and a lot of people couldn't afford to send their kids. So, the government stepped in and created Stafford Loans, so everyone could go. With more money available to pay for college, guess what happened to college costs? They skyrocketed.

Housing was costing too much, and a lot of people couldn't afford to buy a home. So, the government stepped in and relaxed restrictions on who could qualify for mortgages. With more money available to buy houses, guess what happened to home values? They skyrocketed.

Someone explain to me again how government intervention is the solution to healthcare costs.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

How does one win EC votes?
    One wins states.

One doesn't rely on New York, California, and Illinois to override the heartland.

I know where you're going. Trump's margin in several of the states he carried was very thin. But, I still can't justify 31.9% more votes in the EC as barely winning the EC.

- President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

Just sayin'.
    Got it 2.8 Million americans is razor thing.

74 is sweeping mandate.

Yes he won the EC easy.

But to put it in perspective in 2016 Clinton beat Trump in the popular vote by nearly the same margin that Bush beat Kerry in the popular vote in 2004. And despite a nearly 6M swing in votes (Bush +~3M to Trump -~3M) in that election Bush won the EC by "only" 45 EVs.

The EC is an antiquated joke that should be amended out of the constitution as soon as possible.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Just sayin'.
    That's true, but it's also a bit of hyperbole. It was one of the smallest electoral college wins in history. It was a comfortable EC win, but we've also almost never had such a close EC race.

One wins states.

One doesn't rely on New York, California, and Illinois to override the heartland.
    Well, this is a different conversation. I'm not sure why the heartland gets to override the rest of the country.

I know where you're going. Trump's margin in several of the states he carried was very thin. But, I still can't justify 31.9% more votes in the EC as barely winning the EC.
    You don't have to. A fact remains a fact regardless of your take on it. Yes, Trump won the EC. No, that total in and of itself does not suggest a huge margin of victory because it's not as though EC votes are cast independent of each other. You win a state, you get the whole bucket even if you win it by one vote.

None of this denies he's the rightful winner of the election under current rules. But he won the EC by a squeaker, lost the pop. vote, and there ain't no way 'round that.

No movement. No populist uprising.

College was costing too much, and a lot of people couldn't afford to send their kids. So, the government stepped in and created Stafford Loans, so everyone could go. With more money available to pay for college, guess what happened to college costs? They skyrocketed.

Housing was costing too much, and a lot of people couldn't afford to buy a home. So, the government stepped in and relaxed restrictions on who could qualify for mortgages. With more money available to buy houses, guess what happened to home values? They skyrocketed.

Someone explain to me again how government intervention is the solution to healthcare costs.
    I guess that goes for banks and Ford too?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    The only people concerned with Donald Trump's tax returns are reporters?

Aren't reporters, by extension, the media, which of course is short for intermediate, which is to provide information from the powers that be to the people?
    I'd love for him to release tax returns.

I am not a reporter.

I'm convinced they will never be released since he's not legally required to do so.

Would love to see a law past that anyone running for president is required to release the last 10 year's tax returns but probably not going to happen.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

I doubt there is a coherent rationale, but has anyone ever heard any rationale about why Mexico will send the US tens of billions of dollars for our own infrastructure project? Does it just boil down to Trump holding an unfavorable trade deal over their heads? (some form of blackmail/abusive negotiation)

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    I doubt there is a coherent rationale, but has anyone ever heard any rationale about why Mexico will send the US tens of billions of dollars for our own infrastructure project? Does it just boil down to Trump holding an unfavorable trade deal over their heads? (some form of blackmail/abusive negotiation)
    There is none. It's just Trump being Trump. HE says whatever he wants, maybe it's true, probably not, he doesn't care either way. Sounds good to the rubes who support him.

It's brilliant really. Absolutely genius. Everyone needs to get together and start doing it to Russia until Putin is removed from power.
    That stuff wouldn't affect Putin. He just murders whomever he wants in the media, and rigs elections.

NYYF Legend

He won the election 1-0, by an infinite percentage. That doesn't say anything about the actual margin and how close he was to losing - the Electoral College argument is similar.

If he won 306-232 but with large margins in the states that went for him, I'd agree with you.

Thread Information