Closed Thread
Page 1 of 1501 1 2 3 4 11 51 101 501 1001 ... LastLast

Thread: Election 2016

Election 2016

Maynerd has given permission to start this thread, so long as it discusses current events. Don't start name-calling candidates or each other, or it will get shut down. Don't be buttheads and ruin it, please.

Apparently the GOP is planning for a brokered convention, since they have so many candidates. Personally, I'm still hoping that DT runs as an independent. That would be epic.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/10/politi...ion/index.html

NYYF Legend

Re: Election 2016

If DT runs as an independent, the presidency will go directly to Hillary.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Same if DT gets the Republican nomination, and I'm no Hillary lover.

Thanks, Maynerd, but if this thread lasts two months I'll be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    I'm hoping it's Bernie, but I agree with your thought process. That's why I hope he does it. It would be just like Ross Perot in 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    True. Moderates and independents would unite against him. He really has zero chance in a general election. Even his own party and fellow candidates have repudiated him and his hateful comments.

Here are recent poll results. I'm honestly surprised that DT is so far ahead in New Hampshire. Bernie is also ahead in NH, but behind by 20 points nationally. Bernie polls ahead of Hillary against all GOP candidates.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...lls/president/

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

I think the electoral map is set up for Hillary to win regardless, but if Trump (or Carson, who said today he'd leave the party if they do a brokered convention) ran as a 3rd party she would win with ease not seen since Reagan in 84.

I really don't like her but, like many people I think, will hold my nose and vote for her over any GOP candidate if for no other reason than the next president will be appointing 3-5 supreme court justices.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    I think the electoral map is set up for Hillary to win regardless, but if Trump (or Carson, who said today he'd leave the party if they do a brokered convention) ran as a 3rd party she would win with ease not seen since Reagan in 84.

I really don't like her but, like many people I think, will hold my nose and vote for her over any GOP candidate if for no other reason than the next president will be appointing 3-5 supreme court justices.
    This is a really important point. It's one of the most important presidential elections in a long time due to this fact.

I'm personally a Bernie supporter, but don't think he has a great chance of winning.

NYYF Legend

As far as Bernie Sanders and foreign policy. The one thing I know for sure is he's less of a hawk than Hillary and will try to avoid unnecessary conflict. Especially sending ground troops into places we have no business trying to mess around with.

Beyond that, his domestic policy is the only one being proposed that is actually middle-class friendly. So he's absolutely my candidate, and I hope he edges out Hillary by some miracle.

As far as Trump, I envision a scenario where he runs as an independent, then drops out of the race at the last second, and all of his votes go to Rubio who wins the election. Which would be disastrous, in my opinion, for the Supreme Court reasons mentioned above. That's my doomsday scenario anyway.

I'll take the under on two months.

(I actually know 3 people who have worked for, or are working, for Trump. One is currently working as a superintendent at one of his golf courses. Another was the previous superintendent at that same course but left to pursue other options, and the other owns a construction company that has done a lot of work for Trump at his golf courses. They all say he's not a bad guy to work for. You just better have the answers for his questions and hop in the air when he says jump.)
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    This is a really important point. It's one of the most important presidential elections in a long time due to this fact.

I'm personally a Bernie supporter, but don't think he has a great chance of winning.
    I don't know why people discount Bernie. As I posted already, he currently beats every GOP candidate by more than Hillary does in head to head match-ups. He's also an honest person. I don't feel the same way about HC.

Quote Originally Posted by bcom33 View Post
    As far as Bernie Sanders and foreign policy. The one thing I know for sure is he's less of a hawk than Hillary and will try to avoid unnecessary conflict. Especially sending ground troops into places we have no business trying to mess around with.

Beyond that, his domestic policy is the only one being proposed that is actually middle-class friendly. So he's absolutely my candidate, and I hope he edges out Hillary by some miracle.

As far as Trump, I envision a scenario where he runs as an independent, then drops out of the race at the last second, and all of his votes go to Rubio who wins the election. Which would be disastrous, in my opinion, for the Supreme Court reasons mentioned above. That's my doomsday scenario anyway.
    He'd have to drop out sooner than that. I also don't think Rubio would beat either Hillary or Bernie.

Yes, thanks, Maynerd.

PS: I'll take the under. In fact, Golden State could still be undefeated....
    George, Gabe, Stick >> Hal, Randy, Cashman.

True.

But apparently, the best case for the GOP to keep the house and senate would be if there was a 3rd party run- assuming DT was going to win the nomination.
    George, Gabe, Stick >> Hal, Randy, Cashman.

Quote Originally Posted by 21stAmendment View Post
    Rubio is so overrated by the media. He likes to say he's a new generation, a fresh start, and Clinton is the past. Meanwhile he wants to roll back LGBT rights, he wants to take away a women's right to choose, even in the cases of rape and incest. He's a neocon with extreme social views.

The only Republican I think is a threat in the general election is Chris Christie. I've seen up close how talented he is politically. I say this as someone who absolutely despises the man.
    Yeah, Rubio is extreme like most of the GOP.

A few months back, I read that Christie had a woman tell him that her sister was a teacher in NJ, and his policies had hurt NJ teachers. Christie's response was, "Oh, well."

Damn, it's really tough not to say what I think of these...individuals.

I'm not sure what's worse in a candidate. Someone who is truly crazy like Carson or someone like Cruz or Rubio who know better but say crazy things to appeal to the people most likely to go out and vote.

Like Ted Cruz went to Harvard Law. He knows full well that Obama isn't a Kenyan dictator but he still talks like that and gets love for it. Marco Rubio is too smart to really think that climate change isn't real but he can't say so because it would ruin his chances at winning the nomination.

At least Ben Carson really believes the nonsense he says.

Personally I think Bernie Sanders is the most honest and would do the most possible for the middle class. He makes a great point about Hillary. How will she ever police Wall Street when they are her biggest contributors, not to mention the millions her and Bill have made doing appearances at corporate events over the years? I'll vote for Bernie in my primary and hopefully he'd pick Hillary or someone with strong foreign policy credentials at his running mate.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    Maynerd has given permission to start this thread, so long as it discusses current events. Don't start name-calling candidates or each other, or it will get shut down. Don't be buttheads and ruin it, please.

Apparently the GOP is planning for a brokered convention, since they have so many candidates. Personally, I'm still hoping that DT runs as an independent. That would be epic.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/10/politi...ion/index.html
    Not even Trump? I feel like there should be an exception for Trump. Maynerd?
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    Borat did a good job on Kimmel last night.

http://youtu.be/hcH0gPaMay8?t=2m12s

NYYF Cy Young

I'm not sure what's worse in a candidate. Someone who is truly crazy like Carson or someone like Cruz or Rubio who know better but say crazy things to appeal to the people most likely to go out and vote.
    I think it speaks to the wave of anti-establishment sentiment sweeping through both parties. It's why Trump and Sanders are polling so well, as both speak to the populist angst of their respective parties. Other candidates see that and try to clumsily co-opt the rhetoric, but come across as complete frauds in doing so.

Oddly enough, there is some overlap on a few of Trump and Sanders' positions: Both favor progressive tax plans, oppose NAFTA, want to reign in Wall Street and have promised not to take Super PAC money. Other than that, the two couldn't be further apart.

Vote your heart in the primaries and with any luck, you won't have to hold your nose and vote the lesser of two evils in 2016.

In his response to my PM, he gave examples of what not to say. Trump was, much to my chagrin, one of the examples and was not exempt from name-calling.

In his response to my PM, he gave examples of what not to say. Trump was, much to my chagrin, one of the examples and was not exempt from name-calling.
    Maybe he just doesn't know who Trump is. That seems the most logical explanation.
    -Kevin

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Can he (or anyone) provide a link to community standards here?
    Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's
    2016 NYYFans.com Fantasy Baseball League Champjons

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    You keep saying this as if it means something. As long as the CS are being enforced, we still have CS, even if there's no link to them any more. Think of them as National Security laws or something. You can't see them, but they're there.
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

If you look at the last six presidential elections there are 18 states the Democrats have won all six times, totaling 242 EC Votes.

The Republicans, 13 states, totaling 102 EC Votes

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact...ture-gop-says/

Basically, the Democrats start needing just 28 votes to win. Florida holds 29 EC votes itself...and an interesting article (from 2001):

http://www.wrmea.org/2001-january-fe...bloc-vote.html

In a post-election survey of American Muslim voters conducted by the Washington, DC-based Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), one of the nation’s largest grassroots Muslim advocacy and civil rights groups, nearly three-quarters of respondents indicated that they had voted for Texas Governor Bush. Of these, 85 percent noted that the endorsement of Bush by the American Muslim Political Coordinating Committee Political Action Committee (AMPCC-PAC) was a factor in their vote. In this survey of 1,774 voters, 72 percent of Muslim respondents said they voted for Bush, 19 percent supported Green Party candidate Ralph Nader, and only 8 percent favored Vice President Al Gore. Those results reflected a major change from a September poll that showed 24 percent support for Gore. In an important footnote to this survey, an astounding 36 percent of Muslim respondents indicated that they were first-time voters.

American Muslim voters also played an important role in the critical state of Florida. While perhaps too much media attention was focused on the importance of the Jewish vote in Florida, the as yet unrecognized role of the state’s estimated 60,000 Muslim voters—who participated in the bloc vote for Bush—may ultimately prove to be one of this bizarre election year’s most momentous—if unreported—stories. According to an exit survey conducted by the American Muslim Alliance (AMA), over 90 percent of Florida Muslim voters chose Bush for president. The math is simple. In an election that hinged on several hundred ballots, the Muslim vote played a pivotal role in determining the presidency—far exceeding Bush’s slim margin of victory.
    That's 54,000 votes for Bush, 6000 for Gore, in a state decided by 600 votes. With the GOP (and especially Trump) throwing away the Muslim vote, that number could flip entirely. And maybe already has...Obama won Florida by 240,000 votes in 2008; he won by 70,000 in 2012. Giving up the Muslim vote may seem insignificant but with 6-8,000,000 Muslims voting in 2000 (out of 105,000,000), give most of those votes in 2016 to the Democrats, and this election is over....especially if it gives them Florida. That's 271, and another 4 years of Democrats.

My take for Democratic priorities:

1) Win White House
    2) Win Senate
    3a) Win state governorship's
    3b) Win state legislatures
    5) Win House of Representatives.

You keep saying this as if it means something. As long as the CS are being enforced, we still have CS, even if there's no link to them any more. Think of them as National Security laws or something. You can't see them, but they're there.
    OK, but what is being enforced? It's a serious question. There is no link to any community standards. Anywhere. If something's against the rules, show me the rules. There's a link for CS that has been broken for years. How is a new registrant supposed to know the rules if there is no link to rules?

Now, a mod could lock a thread for being abusive, or name calling between members. And while it's nice Jenn asked permission to start this thread, there are no rules published against politics. /rant

Maybe he just doesn't know who Trump is. That seems the most logical explanation.
    I concur.

I understand your point, Eric, but please don't start crap. I don't want this closed.

If you look at the last six presidential elections there are 18 states the Democrats have won all six times, totaling 242 EC Votes.

The Republicans, 13 states, totaling 102 EC Votes

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact...ture-gop-says/

Basically, the Democrats start needing just 28 votes to win. Florida holds 29 EC votes itself...and an interesting article (from 2001):

http://www.wrmea.org/2001-january-fe...bloc-vote.html

That's 54,000 votes for Bush, 6000 for Gore, in a state decided by 600 votes. With the GOP (and especially Trump) throwing away the Muslim vote, that number could flip entirely. And maybe already has...Obama won Florida by 240,000 votes in 2008; he won by 70,000 in 2012. Giving up the Muslim vote may seem insignificant but with 6-8,000,000 Muslims voting in 2000 (out of 105,000,000), give most of those votes in 2016 to the Democrats, and this election is over....especially if it gives them Florida. That's 271, and another 4 years of Democrats.

My take for Democratic priorities:

1) Win White House
    2) Win Senate
    3a) Win state governorship's
    3b) Win state legislatures
    5) Win House of Representatives.
    That is interesting.

Thread Information