Closed Thread
Page 462 of 1501 FirstFirst ... 362 412 452 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 472 512 562 962 1462 ... LastLast
Results 11,526 to 11,550 of 37508

Thread: Election 2016

Re: Election 2016

Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    You see, I had the same reaction towards Hillary in '08. But before I give her too much credit, this is what I remember...

She campaigned through the last state and she came up short. After the last primary, she let it be known that she was going to the convention with her sleeves rolled up. Around that time, some influential Dems (off the top of my head, but I'm not sure....Rangel and Lewis) got her on a conference call and convinced her to drop her campaign for the good of the party. She did- but she was also taken care of.

I'm expecting Sanders to follow a similar script. But let's remember that Hillary was prepared to battle in the convention, before she decided to help unite the party.
    I admittedly don't remember her or her campaign ever seriously discussing taking this to the convention like Sanders campaign has. But with that said, that race was hell of a lot closer. She won some big important states. Florida, New York, PA, NJ, California, Ohio...
    My Top 100 Films of 2015: http://funnylookinfilms.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 21stAmendment View Post
    I admittedly don't remember her or her campaign ever seriously discussing taking this to the convention like Sanders campaign has. But with that said, that race was hell of a lot closer. She won some big important states. Florida, New York, PA, NJ, California, Ohio...
    I did a quick google search and this was after the last state had voted in the primary.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/24953561/n.../#.V0PHDCMrKCc

After 8 years, I moved on from my distaste over her '08 campaign. Then, when Hillary sent Chelsea to stump for her, implying that Bernie wants to take away health care from millions of poor people, I saw she was back to her old tactics.
    George, Gabe, Stick >>> Hal, Randy, Cash

so did people like her and thought she was a terrible SOS or did they think she was a good SOS, but didn't like her? I find it hard to believe people liked her but thought she did a poor job at the state department lol.
    I'm not sure if that was the case there either way, and I think there's probably usually a strong correlation between the two. I was just saying they're not the same and there could potentially be differences.

A relevant article on the subject from 2011:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...bility/243823/
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

I did a quick google search and this was after the last state had voted in the primary.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/24953561/n.../#.V0PHDCMrKCc

After 8 years, I moved on from my distaste over her '08 campaign. Then, when Hillary sent Chelsea to stump for her, implying that Bernie wants to take away health care from millions of poor people, I saw she was back to her old tactics.
    Her statements seem pretty standard. Don't see any talk about moving on to the convention. Sounds like a candidate who hasn't yet scheduled her speech to drop out.

I agree on the healthcare thing, I called BS on her campaigns talking points on this at the time, haven't really seen Chelsea on the trail since.

Her statements seem pretty standard. Don't see any talk about moving on to the convention. Sounds like a candidate who hasn't yet scheduled her speech to drop out.

I agree on the healthcare thing, I called BS on her campaigns talking points on this at the time, haven't really seen Chelsea on the trail since.
    You're probably correct. Since I was supporting Obama, it seemed longer to me, I guess. Here's an article that discussed the conference call with Rangel and company.

http://www.politico.com/story/2008/0...ove-010886?o=0

I feel that Bernie was too soft in his campaign- starting from publicly staying away from her server issues. His artful smears have been tame compared to what was going on in the GOP side.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    ...However, no matter what happens in here I am a fan of the thread. I've learned a lot through links and the conversation overall. There are some really intelligent and informed people posting here and I appreciate reading their views. Regardless of whether I agree with them or not.
    This is really my favorite thing about this thread... learning from others, even when I disagree with them. That was what I liked the most about the old forum, and what I missed the most. I've joined and unjoined a few other political threads on facebook or other forums, and they are always the same... more noise and shouting at each other than actual conversation and debating. The honest truth is that I am a more informed person because of this thread.

Ahh memories.

From April 23rd, 2008

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...-debate-watch/

Hillary Clinton’s campaign has increased its efforts to pressure Barack Obama to agree to more debates.

On Wednesday, they sent reporters a press release titled “Debate Watch: Day 1,” as part of their continuing effort to focus attention on Obama’s reluctance to schedule more primary season showdowns.

During a rally in Hillsborough, North Carolina Wednesday afternoon, former President Bill Clinton, standing on the back of a pick-up truck, told voters: “I think I know the answer to why one candidate wants to debate, ‘cuz I saw the debate in Pennsylvania. And afterwards, 41 percent of the voters saw it. And by 55 to 22, they said Hillary won.”

Earlier this week, a proposed North Carolina debate was cancelled after Obama’s team said the Illinois senator would not be able to find time in his schedule.

“It's not clear that another debate is going to be the best use of our time,” Obama told CNN’s Roland Martin Wednesday.
    ...this post in the comments section caught my eye.

Marie in California

I think Obama is too chicken-hearted to debate Hillary again. He only does things that are "safe" and now he's gun-shy because he feels ABC beat up on him in the last debate. Poor baby....upset because they asked quesruons that directly relate to character and judgment.

I also know Obama won't debate on Fox News Channel, even though they've invited him. Heck, he won't even appear on their channel.....too scared to face their questions.

Well, I've noticed Hillary always comes back for more debates, even after getting beat up by the mainstream media during the preceding 20 debates as they tried to pimp Obama, their Chosen One.

Give me a break!

Hillary or McCain – 2008

April 23, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |

Reid J. Epstein
    I went to Ohio and found Bernie people volunteering for Hillary's general election campaign http://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-trump-lags-behind-hillary-clinton-in-organizing-key-states-1463945208?tesla=y …

I guess we won't hear DWS say that Bernie isn't doing enough for down-ballot candidates:

Debbie Wasserman Schultz is finally sitting up and taking notice of her congressional primary opponent Tim Canova after the rookie candidate raised 250,000 in one weekend from a Bernie-promoted email.

In the wake of Florida Congressional Candidate Tim Canova’s announcement that he had raised $250,000 from one pro-Canova fundraising email from Bernie Sanders, DNC chair Wasserman Schultz sent out her own campaign email, referring to the mass of small, individual contributions as “undisclosed, outside money.”
    http://trofire.com/2016/05/23/debbie...any-donations/

Different topic, what are your thoughts on Bernie's campaign and the DNC agreeing on the members that make up the party platform committee. Personally I don't like that Bernie picked Cornell West to be one of those people. He's said some offensive things about President Obama. But other than that... I'm somewhat hopeful about the development. He also picked Keith Ellison, who I like a lot. Don't know much about the others.
    It's a step in the right direction.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

That would be true, but remember they started with 17 candidates. After struggling in Wisconsin, Trump received over 50% over the next 7 states among a field of 3.

The notion about people voting against him had been incorrectly echoed by most of his opponents and anti Trump pundits during the GOP primaries. However, it's true in the general election at this point- many are voting against both Trump and Hillary.
    Even when he's getting over 50% in these primaries it's still a small percentage of the overall electorate. In Rhode Island he won with about 62% of the vote, but when they ran the numbers, only 8% of eligible voters voted in the republican primary so he got 62% of 8% of the population and it was seen as a huge win.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I guess we won't hear DWS say that Bernie isn't doing enough for down-ballot candidates:

http://trofire.com/2016/05/23/debbie...any-donations/
    It's really amazing how bad she is at her job. I hope she gets crushed in the primary. When is primary day in Florida?

How funny would it be if the head of the DNC and the speaker of the house lose their primaries?

Quote Originally Posted by Casey at the Bat View Post
    This is really my favorite thing about this thread... learning from others, even when I disagree with them. That was what I liked the most about the old forum, and what I missed the most. I've joined and unjoined a few other political threads on facebook or other forums, and they are always the same... more noise and shouting at each other than actual conversation and debating. The honest truth is that I am a more informed person because of this thread.
    And this is largely why I approved the thread, even though it's pretty clearly, on concept, out of bounds.

I've needed to put my Moderator hat on a couple times, but just to throttle back the rhetoric, when it's started to get out of hand. To be brutally honest, I anticipated needing to do so much more often. You've all behaved remarkably well. Please continue.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Ahh memories.

From April 23rd, 2008

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...-debate-watch/

...this post in the comments section caught my eye.
    Nice memories from, up until this year, the most interesting primary season that I've followed. This primary has '08 beat because the interest level in '15 blew away it's counterpart in '07.

[URL="https://twitter.com/reidepstein"]

My take:

I didn't mind when Obama didn't want to debate anymore.
    I didn't mind when Trump decided he had enough debates- leaving Cruz and Kasich to debate each other. At which point, Cruz declined for the same reason Trump did.
    I do mind that Hillary won't debate one more time.

I was angry when Hillary wouldn't drop out in '08, and carried things out through the last state and then had her "What does Hillary want?" speech.
    I'm not angry that Bernie is staying in- possibly to the convention.

Inconsistent? I guess. I liked the underdogs - Obama and Trump, when it seemed when the deck was stacked against them. That, and I simply dislike and distrust Hillary for reasons that have already been mentioned in the previous 462 pages here. Independent voters can be very fickle and frustrating for candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    And this is largely why I approved the thread, even though it's pretty clearly, on concept, out of bounds.

I've needed to put my Moderator hat on a couple times, but just to throttle back the rhetoric, when it's started to get out of hand. To be brutally honest, I anticipated needing to do so much more often. You've all behaved remarkably well. Please continue.
    Go to heck.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar

Thank you for setting an even tone here. Greatly appreciated.

How-EVA ... Mr Coffee did throw some spitballs my way ... and our very own Kevinambi and Rizzo supplied the spitballs and straw.

I suggest that they all be put into detention.

*runs & hides*
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Even when he's getting over 50% in these primaries it's still a small percentage of the overall electorate. In Rhode Island he won with about 62% of the vote, but when they ran the numbers, only 8% of eligible voters voted in the republican primary so he got 62% of 8% of the population and it was seen as a huge win.

It's really amazing how bad she is at her job. I hope she gets crushed in the primary. When is primary day in Florida?

How funny would it be if the head of the DNC and the speaker of the house lose their primaries?
    Seems unlikely. A guy (Sanders) who got
    blown out by over 30% in this district prolly doesn't have much pull with voters in said district.

My take:

I didn't mind when Obama didn't want to debate anymore.
    I didn't mind when Trump decided he had enough debates- leaving Cruz and Kasich to debate each other. At which point, Cruz declined for the same reason Trump did.
    I do mind that Hillary won't debate one more time.

I was angry when Hillary wouldn't drop out in '08, and carried things out through the last state and then had her "What does Hillary want?" speech.
    I'm not angry that Bernie is staying in- possibly to the convention.

Inconsistent? I guess. I liked the underdogs - Obama and Trump, when it seemed when the deck was stacked against them. That, and I simply dislike and distrust Hillary for reasons that have already been mentioned in the previous 462 pages here. Independent voters can be very fickle and frustrating for candidates.
    Well at least you admit your inconsistencies. She's playing it smart just like Obama did.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Seems unlikely. A guy (Sanders) who got
    blown out by over 30% in this district prolly doesn't have much pull with voters in said district.
    It's ok. We all know she'll be given some position in a Clinton administration and will leave Congress anyway.

Oh the ironies of ironies.
    Ken Starr, of Bill Clinton/Monica Lewinsky fame, spending 40 million of our tax dollars to investigate a BJ was fired today as President of Baylor University. Seems Mr. Starr had a long range of burying sexual misconduct of the Baylor Bears football team. Some incidents were buried and some incidents Mr. Starr questioned the mental status of the victims.

Good job Kenny. Karma came to haunt you.

Eff off.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Go to heck.
    Damn you.

@danmericaCNN Sanders has requested a "a full and complete recanvass of every one of the voting machines and absentee ballots" in KY, per @joejohnscnn.

@ForecasterEnten
    The recanvass fits within the narrative that Clinton is winning this nomination through a "rigged" process.

@NateSilver538
    The system is rigged in favor of the candidate who's won 3 million more votes. Unbelievable.

---

Sanders campaign riling up his base with conspiracy in hopes to bring in cash, which they are running low on.

Bernie Sanders is burning through his campaign account.

The Sanders presidential campaign began May with just $5.8 million cash on hand, according to reports filed Friday with the Federal Election Commission. That was significantly less than the $30 million available to Democratic presidential front-runner Hillary Clinton.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0613b512a5fad

@danmericaCNN Sanders has requested a "a full and complete recanvass of every one of the voting machines and absentee ballots" in KY, per @joejohnscnn.

@ForecasterEnten
    The recanvass fits within the narrative that Clinton is winning this nomination through a "rigged" process.

@NateSilver538
    The system is rigged in favor of the candidate who's won 3 million more votes. Unbelievable.

---

Sanders campaign riling up his base with conspiracy in hopes to bring in cash, which they are running low on.
    Because things can't possibly be rigged.

Also, cash on hand at the end of April doesn't reflect where he's at right now. That was just the date of the last FEC filing period, which came right after those 5 primaries on April 26.

I'm pretty sure he's collected some money since then.

Because things can't possibly be rigged.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=JrGlaUo4JEE

I think this covers everything.

Also, cash on hand at the end of April doesn't reflect where he's at right now. That was just the date of the last FEC filing period, which came right after those 5 primaries on April 26.

I'm pretty sure he's collected some money since then.
    I can read. Particularly articles I post that say this very thing.

I can read. Particularly articles I post that say this very thing.
    I know you can read.

It's the 'post hoc ergo propter hoc' you sometimes struggle with.

Thread Information