Closed Thread
Page 1467 of 1501 FirstFirst ... 467 967 1367 1417 1457 1464 1465 1466 1467 1468 1469 1470 1477 ... LastLast
Results 36,651 to 36,675 of 37508

Thread: Election 2016

Re: Election 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    I posted many pages back that I've always been intrigued by the National Bonus Plan. It seems like it would address issues from both sides of the argument.

http://articles.latimes.com/2000/dec/17/opinion/op-1069
    Thanks. Scanned (will read in detail later) but didn't initially draw the connection between awarding 102 EC votes to whomever wins the popular vote and the bolded below...

The plan, by encouraging parties to maximize their vote in states they have no hope of winning, would stimulate turnout, reinvigorate state parties, enhance voter equality and contribute to the vitality of federalism.
    What am I missing?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I mean, if you can't put forth the basic level of effort to identify what you can/can't do when it comes to further education in an environment where these affordable options exist,
    Yes more effort should be put into this now.

It's not working.

Have you sent a kid to college recently? I can tell you the experience can be overwhelming and the support resources are nearly non-existent.

We had the means to pay for an expert in the field to assist us with the process, many others are not so fortunate including those who could most use the assistance.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    You're trying to get me and GC fighting over Laura Linney again, aren't you?
    The wife made me watch (well, she had it on and I watched) a pretty forgettable Laura Linney movie called P.S. the other night. Are you sure she's worth fighting over?
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I'm starting to think we're all the main characters of the Truman Show.
    Who's Ed Harris?
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    So, should we eliminate corporate income tax? Leaving more money in the hands of corporations would create better paying jobs and in turn more in individual income taxes.
    Hasn't worked in the past. Don't see why it would in the future.

We've long decided that K-12 was the appropriate level of education to require society to fund the process for the public good. What happened that we should extend this through an Undergraduate Degree? Will we also pay for those who opt to go to a trade school? Plumbers and cooks are also a benefit to the public. Where do we draw the line? If we pay for everyone to get a BA/BS, will we then need to have "free" Masters Degrees as a general benefit to the public?
    Times change. A "6th grade education" was one the gold standard.

Yes I would gladly pay for trade school as an alternative to Undergraduate degree.

As for the line? Don't know haven't thought it through fully. But for many fields today's under graduate degree is sort of the equivalent of what a HS diploma was 50 years ago.

My Undergraduate Degree was paid for in its entirety by US taxpayers. I'm humbled and deeply appreciative of that. However, I owed five years of service to my country in exchange for that education. Wouldn't our society benefit much more if there was a similar requirement for students receiving tax dollars to further their education?
    It's an idea I can get behind.
    Baseball is life;

So, should we eliminate corporate income tax? Leaving more money in the hands of corporations would create better paying jobs and in turn more in individual income taxes.

Or not. Leaving more money in the hands of corporations might just mean leaving more money in the hands of the stockholders, or of the executives.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

The minimum GPA should be passing. The kid that works his rear off to maintain a 1.85 GPA should not be penalized for not learning as easily as someone else.
    Ehhh, I might disagree with this.

I'm not sure yet.

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Who's Ed Harris?

That was the movie that made me realize that Ed Harris could do anything.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Thanks. Scanned (will read in detail later) but didn't initially draw the connection between awarding 102 EC votes to whomever wins the popular vote and the bolded below...

What am I missing?
    The bonus votes are awarded to whoever wins the popular vote.

http://archive.fairvote.org/e_college/reform.htm

n the 2000 election, for example, Gore had no reason to campaign in Texas because, with a winner take all allocation of electoral votes, Bush’s conservative home state was clearly going to bring in a Republican majority. However, the Democratic voters living in Texas would have had more incentive to go to the polls if the popular vote affected the election.

My Undergraduate Degree was paid for in its entirety by US taxpayers. I'm humbled and deeply appreciative of that. However, I owed five years of service to my country in exchange for that education. Wouldn't our society benefit much more if there was a similar requirement for students receiving tax dollars to further their education?
    That was part of the Clinton proposal - work it off!

I really like that. If you're working it off somehow, then I can get behind Tex's "passing" cutoff more readily.

I'm not talking so much about military service, but more like community service.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    Ehhh, I might disagree with this.

I'm not sure yet.
    There can be other requirements such as government service type programs to "pay back" your debt.

Wait. Are we all agreeing on something?

That was the movie that made me realize that Ed Harris could do anything.
    Mmm, those eyes...

No...
    - Barry Manilow

Quick, let's take a vote before GC and Coffee get back.

No...
    Phew. Scared myself there for a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Also require some minimum GPA to continue "free".
    If I'm the Administrator for NYYFans College, wouldn't it be to my benefit to make sure all my students met that minimum?

We already refuse to allow an underperforming student to fail in the public school system. Are we now going to allow colleges to give everyone an A or a B in all their classes, so they can keep getting that "free" revenue from them?

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

No...
    Oh, FFS.

Can we all agree that JL25and3 tends to be difficult?

We already refuse to allow an underperforming student to fail in the public school system. Are we now going to allow colleges to give everyone an A or a B in all their classes, so they can keep getting that "free" revenue from them?
    Fair point.

That's why I like the work it off approach.

If the problem has always been that of affordability, just let them use a different currency if they're otherwise qualified.

The bonus votes are awarded to whoever wins the popular vote.
    Even I, as the lone Electoral College fan around here, have no objection to a system like this, provided it's left up to the individual states. Nowhere in the Constitution does it say the state's Electoral Votes must be winner-take-all. Maine and Nebraska already do their own thing.

I think that a certain degree of state autonomy is necessary and proper if we're to be the United STATES of America. A system like this, with voluntary buy-in state by state, seems reasonable.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

If I'm the Administrator for NYYFans College, wouldn't it be to my benefit to make sure all my students met that minimum?

Your a Nattering Nabob of Negativism Maynerd.

I personally think there is something that can be worked out. The details are important for sure but one I'm sure this great country can overcome. I was just throwing out an idea.
    Baseball is life;

Nah. I'm just a realist. If you create a minimum GPA, and make it to the college's advantage for their students to achieve it, you'll immediately have grade inflation.

Several times in this thread, we've gone off on a tangent relating to education, that honestly has little to do with Election 2016. I enjoy the insight on what changes to the present-day system are necessary to generate improvements. So, I created a separate thread to discuss education. Have at it.

- President Barack Obama

Nah. I'm just a realist. If you create a minimum GPA, and make it to the college's advantage for their students to achieve it, you'll immediately have grade inflation.

Several times in this thread, we've gone off on a tangent relating to education, that honestly has little to do with Election 2016. I enjoy the insight on what changes to the present-day system are necessary to generate improvements. So, I created a separate thread to discuss education. Have at it.
    I thought you mentioned closing this thread and starting a general political current events type of thread now that the election is over.

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I thought you mentioned closing this thread and starting a general political current events type of thread now that the election is over.
    I did, and I still plan to do so, concurrent with the inauguration.

But the discussion of Education seems to go much deeper than just current events, so I decided to give it a home of its own. Let's wait and see if it gets any traction.

- President Barack Obama

Oooh. Nice. Spiro Agnew references have become all too rare.
    - Barry Manilow

Thread Information