Closed Thread
Page 1464 of 1501 FirstFirst ... 464 964 1364 1414 1454 1461 1462 1463 1464 1465 1466 1467 1474 ... LastLast
Results 36,576 to 36,600 of 37508

Thread: Election 2016

Re: Election 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I'd love for him to release tax returns.

I am not a reporter.

I'm convinced they will never be released since he's not legally required to do so.

Would love to see a law past that anyone running for president is required to release the last 10 year's tax returns but probably not going to happen.
    I couldn't care less about any President's tax returns. If they're not under investigation for tax fraud, it means the IRS has accepted their returns.

What's the point of seeing them?

EDIT: just read Maynerd's response...same thing.
    Hideki Matsui is capable of anything

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    I doubt there is a coherent rationale, but has anyone ever heard any rationale about why Mexico will send the US tens of billions of dollars for our own infrastructure project? Does it just boil down to Trump holding an unfavorable trade deal over their heads? (some form of blackmail/abusive negotiation)
    That's my understanding of what he's implying, but I'm not sure if he's ever been specific.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    Why? What business is it of ours what the details of a candidate's tax return looks like? Is there an income level above which a candidate should be disqualified? Is there a minimum allowable charitable contribution level? Should a candidate be disqualified if he legally takes certain deductions? Should we have visibility on his family's medical costs? Should someone be disqualified if they earned income from certain foreign sources before taking office? I just don't see what value that information has in determining who we should vote for.

Personally, I'd like to see rules and regulations codified concerning how a high-placed political leader's assets are managed, to include things like the blind trust and even charitable foundation management. But I've long thought that the actual tax returns are absolutely none of our business.
    For leading the highest office in the land I think it is important we get a fuller picture of the man or woman who will be leading us. I can understand the flip side you bring up. I just think it tells us more about the person in charge and think it should be mandatory disclosure for highest office.

And totally agree on the blind trust/charitable foundation issue. That's a great idea.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    This is not fake news. While not verified, it was collected by an operative that is considered trustworthy. Of course it's possible that he was fed bad info. Duped. But that's not what fake news is. Just like Trump yelling at the CNN reporter at his presser that CNN is fake news. The whole fake news thing is being distorted in a way that is dangerous to the first amendment.
    You are right. Thanks for correcting me. It's important to make that distinction.
    -Kevin

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

It probably wouldn't be quite as blatant as I say. But there will be some "economic aid package to Mexico" down the road that essentially covers the cost.

Trump gets his wall and takes credit for getting Mexico to pay for it.

Mexico keeps good relations with Washington.

US Tax payer gets bent over for a wall that probably doesn't serve any purpose except make the company that wins the construction bid rich. And down the road the owner of that construction company will claim he's a boot strapy self made man who never had any help from the government.
    I agree. The first part of your post is how I see it going down.

After the Wollman Skating Rink ordeal, I'm holding out hope that The Donald might find a way to stretch federal funds, while still letting the construction companies get rich.
    George, Gabe, Stick >>> Hal, Randy, Cash

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    No, absolutely. Trump has definitely profited off of fake news and conspiracy theories and it's somewhat poetic that he's likely being hoisted on his own peetard here, but that doesn't make it right. Fighting fake news with fake news is extremely dangerous.
    I see what you did there.

Quote Originally Posted by Trish View Post
    I see what you did there.
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

I understand. And you've done a perfect job of illustrating why the EC should be gotten rid of ASAP.
    Strongly disagree.

If we were the People's Republic of America, fine. But, we're not. We're the United STATES of America. If States are to have no power and influence, why do we have them? If the Electoral College should be eliminated, shouldn't we, for the exact same reason, disband state governments and state borders and abolish the US Senate?

Why does the left decry any time a cop uses force against someone from a minority group, but then propose a tyranny of the majority when it comes to Presidential elections?

North Dakota lives matter. Iowa lives matter. Idaho lives matter. Arkansas lives matter. No love for these minorities?

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    This is what I've been saying. The wall, or reinforced fencing will be started. And it won't be finished. But something will be done and Mexico will pay at least a symbolic amount that can be used in a future campaign speech.

The rest of your post makes sense and the money might eventually be shifted to more CBP and new technology.
    Didn't Dubya promise the Iraq War would not cost America anything due to oil reserve payback?...........7 trillion dollars later..........

"The Bush administration claimed at its outset that the Iraq war would finance itself out of Iraqi oil revenues. When Bush’s National Economic Council director Lawrence Lindsey told the Wall Street Journal that the war would cost between $100 billion and $200 billion, he came under intense fire from others in the administration who claimed that this was a gross overestimation, and he was forced to resign."

Well this awkward......

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by montrealer View Post
    Didn't Dubya promise the Iraq War would not cost America anything due to oil reserve payback?...........7 trillion dollars later..........
    Is your point that you don't think any portion of a wall or reinforced fence will be built and Mexico will not reimburse the US for a penny?

Or that the wall will actually be built in places and the cost will be astronomical, like under any other administration?
    George, Gabe, Stick >>> Hal, Randy, Cash

NYYF Legend

Is your point that you don't think any portion of a wall or reinforced fence will be built and Mexico will not reimburse the US for a penny?

Or that the wall will actually be built in places and the cost will be astronomical, like under any other administration?
    Presidential promises more times than not rarely come true.......the Wall thing seems very foggy on how,where and when it will begin.........and now comes the wishy washy way as it will be paid off..........

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

NYYF Legend

Strongly disagree.

If we were the People's Republic of America, fine. But, we're not. We're the United STATES of America. If States are to have no power and influence, why do we have them? If the Electoral College should be eliminated, shouldn't we, for the exact same reason, disband state governments and state borders and abolish the US Senate?

Why does the left decry any time a cop uses force against someone from a minority group, but then propose a tyranny of the majority when it comes to Presidential elections?

North Dakota lives matter. Iowa lives matter. Idaho lives matter. Arkansas lives matter. No love for these minorities?
    And they already have equal representation in the house and disproportional representation in the senate. I've never said it shouldn't be that way but you blindly ignore that everytime you bring up your argument.

Every American Vote for President should count the same whether it is is the smallest state by side - Rhode Island, the smallest state by population - Montana, the largest state by population - California, the largest state by size - Alaska. It is a simple concept and one you can't seem to grasp.

And in no way marginalizes or decreases anyone. 1 person, 1 vote. Simple.
    Baseball is life;

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    no.

you have to let the world see this kind of despicable moron. a light needs to be shone on it all the time. and it works best when the moron is the one holding the torch (flashlight).
    They'll see him on TV, unfortunately. Twitter, FB, instagram, etc, ALL should ban him.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    If you had no knowledge of idiomatic English - if you knew no English, in fact, and were translating literally, word-for-word from an Arizona-English dictionary, you might be confused by my phrasing. However, in that case, you would probably be confused by a whole lot of things that are said to you.

Your objection has nothing to do with actual language use. You did not read my post and say, "Ah, he means that he cares a little bit." You read it and said, "Gotcha! A phrase that, if analyzed literally according to rules of grammar, means the exact opposite of what I actually do know he is saying!" Yes, it means the opposite, hence my use of the word "ironic." The phrase has a better ring, and it's more fun in casual use, especially since it pisses off some people. But since there's zero loss of communicative value - you knew exactly what I was saying - it don't make no nevermind to me if you disapprove.
    I don't care if it was ironic, and I knew why you used that word. Saying the opposite of what you mean, even if people know what you mean, is irritating in any circumstance. Stop being such a pompous windbag.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    You state you're not in denial, then proceed to be in denial, and you hope to be taken seriously?

306 to 232 is in no universe "barely" won the EC. The 3M popular vote is something to consider until you realize that the margin in California was +4.3M for Hillary. The day when California decides elections for the country is when we're really in trouble
    The last sentence is ridiculous. Californians are Americans and have as much right to have their votes count as the people in WV. The EC is ludicrous because if those same Californians spread out and lived/voted in other states, specifically a few in the Midwest, their votes would've counted. Same people, different location - that would've changed the outcome. That makes ZERO sense.

Twitter would harm itself by banning him. It's competitors in the social media world would like nothing better than to have Trump and his millions of followers be transferred to their company.
    All major social media outlets should band together to ban him. He's a national humiliation.

Strongly disagree.

According to you, though, California votes DON'T matter. This is complete bullsh*t, no matter how much you insist otherwise. And your calling the mainly white people in those states who voted for him "minorities" is kind of gross.

Strongly disagree.

None of this means anything.

NYYF Legend

Maynerd only likes the EC because #notHillary.
    Baseball is life;

I'm going to show restraint and not head over to urban dictionary. Yes, this is based on past experiences.
    I did not have your restraint. You made the right choice.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    No, absolutely. Trump has definitely profited off of fake news and conspiracy theories and it's somewhat poetic that he's likely being hoisted on his own peetard here, but that doesn't make it right. Fighting fake news with fake news is extremely dangerous.
    Little known fact: "petard" comes from a French word for "fart."
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Racism and sexism were better predictors of Trump support than was economic dissatisfaction. Hot damn, I'm shocked (note sarcasm).

Explaining White Polarization in the 2016 Vote for President:
    The Sobering Role of Racism and Sexism

http://people.umass.edu/schaffne/sch...conference.pdf

Vox summarized the paper.

Study: racism and sexism predict support for Trump much more than economic dissatisfaction

http://www.vox.com/identities/2017/1...-economy-study

Quote Originally Posted by Gregorius Chant View Post
    None of this means anything.
    I have to agree on this one. I'm not following the line of logic at all. I don't follow why the elimination of state governments follows the abolishment of the electoral college and the comparison of the issue to the black lives matter movement is just weird.
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Little known fact: "petard" comes from a French word for "fart."
    Who said anything about petards?
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    there are so many funny tweets about this:

I know I shouldn't laugh...
    It's a fine line. I think it's ok to laugh, but not so hard that you pee yourself because at that point you're just giving him what he wants.

Not so. Maynerd was a fan of the Electoral College long before the 2016 election.

My preference for s State-centric methodology for selecting the President is based on population distribution and the very nature of our Republic. If popular votes select the President, candidates will concentrate on the population centers (NY, LA, Chicago) to the detriment of most of the nation. Elected officials with national-level aspirations will do the same. The "flyover states" will become even less significant. We're a Republic, and not a Democracy. We're a collection of individual states, and not a cohesive population.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980
    And your calling the mainly white people in those states who voted for him "minorities" is kind of gross.
    First of all, I never addressed the race of the people living in various states. Second, POC in America are clearly a minority when compared to the white population. Well, I have news for you. People in Kansas, regardless of their race, are a minority when compared to the people in California and New York. If racism is defined (as I've been told here repeatedly) by the majority holding power over the minority, then a popular vote creates state-ism. The majorities in NY and CA would hold undue power over the minorities in Utah and New Mexico. A minority is still a minority, whether it involves race or not.

The point is moot. It would take a Constitutional Amendment to change how we select the President, and I don't see two thirds of the State Legislatures voting to give their influence away to Los Angeles.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Strongly disagree.

I'm getting more and more comfortable with the idea of getting rid of those state borders. All they do is reinforce antebellum ideas about the states taking any sort of precedence over the Union.

And no, Idaho and Iowa aren't minority groups.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    I don't care if it was ironic, and I knew why you used that word. Saying the opposite of what you mean, even if people know what you mean, is irritating in any circumstance. Stop being such a pompous windbag.
    So you don't like it when I'm right. I could care less.
    - Barry Manilow

Thread Information