Closed Thread
Page 1463 of 1501 FirstFirst ... 463 963 1363 1413 1453 1460 1461 1462 1463 1464 1465 1466 1473 ... LastLast
Results 36,551 to 36,575 of 37508

Thread: Election 2016

NYYF Legend

Re: Election 2016

Quote Originally Posted by ZYanksRule View Post
    That's true, but it's also a bit of hyperbole. It was one of the smallest electoral college wins in history. It was a comfortable EC win, but we've also almost never had such a close EC race.
    Not true. It's about 14th in smallest percent margin of victory in EC.

And in "recent" memory the following elections have had a smaller % margin in EC: 1960, 1968, 1976, 2000, 2004
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Gregorius Chant View Post
    That stuff wouldn't affect Putin. He just murders whomever he wants in the media, and rigs elections.
    it would. The Russian population loves Putin. 83% approval rating.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    He's slipping. Didn't it used to be 99%?
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

There is none. It's just Trump being Trump. HE says whatever he wants, maybe it's true, probably not, he doesn't care either way. Sounds good to the rubes who support him.
    It seems like there's enough smart Republican reps/senators that seem to agree with him that Mexico will pay, so I figure they have to have some internal thought process on how/why that will happen. I'm just wondering what that is.

I don't know what that number is based on or how polling in Russia works, nor would it matter if it were lower because Putin ain't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    It seems like there's enough smart Republican reps/senators that seem to agree with him that Mexico will pay, so I figure they have to have some internal thought process on how/why that will happen.
    Hard disagree on the word "smart" in that paragraph.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Not true. It's about 14th in smallest percent margin of victory in EC.

And in "recent" memory the following elections have had a smaller % margin in EC: 1960, 1968, 1976, 2000, 2004
    It ranked 46th out of 58 elections.

http://www.factcheck.org/2016/11/trump-landslide-nope/

This was not a landslide, and he does not have a mandate. Far from it.

NYYF Legend

It seems like there's enough smart Republican reps/senators that seem to agree with him that Mexico will pay, so I figure they have to have some internal thought process on how/why that will happen. I'm just wondering what that is.
    We'll probably loan them the money to make the banks look good.

Mexico will then default on the loan.

US will make banks whole.

Everybody will win but the US tax payer.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

He's slipping. Didn't it used to be 99%?
    I don't know what that number is based on or how polling in Russia works, nor would it matter if it were lower because Putin ain't care.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.03cd63c0f913

Putin will definitely still kill people, but losing popularity would be a huge blow to re-election efforts.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ZYanksRule View Post
    It ranked 46th out of 58 elections.

http://www.factcheck.org/2016/11/trump-landslide-nope/

This was not a landslide, and he does not have a mandate. Far from it.
    I agree. But I was just saying it wasn't "one of the smallest margins ever in the EC."

Doesn't meant the Rs in congress aren't already ready to railroad through a mandate agenda.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

Hard disagree on the word "smart" in that paragraph.
    You obviously disagree with them, and I do too (esp in this case), but that's not the same thing as them being dumb or being the same as Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    What do you think it would change? Clearly Republicans DGAF what he does.
    No, I mean it would change things in reality. Being a despicable moron with normal or even semi-normal political intentions is one thing, but literally being controlled by a foreign power is another.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

Got it 2.8 Million americans is razor thing.

74 is sweeping mandate.
    Wow. And, I'm the one that gets accused of false equivalencies. You're comparing apples to bicycles.

2.8 million is razor thin when compared to the 136.6 million votes that were cast.

And, I specifically stated that the election result could NOT be considered any sort of mandate. But that 74 vote margin needs to compared with the 538 total Electors. Yes, this Electoral College result was closer than most. Still doesn't mean Trump barely won in the EC. He won by over 30% of the votes cast, a significantly greater margin than the 4% represented by those 2.8 million voters.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

We'll probably loan them the money to make the banks look good.

Mexico will then default on the loan.

US will make banks whole.

That's possible, although Mexico would still have to agree to it, and I don't see why they would (which gets back to the original question). What's the point of hurting their own credit for no real reason unless they are being blackmailed/pressured in some form?

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I feel the same way.... but when has facts ever stopped Trump from running with a conspiracy theory or fake news story?
    No, absolutely. Trump has definitely profited off of fake news and conspiracy theories and it's somewhat poetic that he's likely being hoisted on his own peetard here, but that doesn't make it right. Fighting fake news with fake news is extremely dangerous.
    -Kevin

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    No, absolutely. Trump has definitely profited off of fake news and conspiracy theories and it's somewhat poetic that he's likely being hoisted on his own peetard here, but that doesn't make it right. Fighting fake news with fake news is extremely dangerous.
    This is not fake news. While not verified, it was collected by an operative that is considered trustworthy. Of course it's possible that he was fed bad info. Duped. But that's not what fake news is. Just like Trump yelling at the CNN reporter at his presser that CNN is fake news. The whole fake news thing is being distorted in a way that is dangerous to the first amendment.

NYYF Legend

He's created an environment where his supporters (err...handlers) felt the need to clap for him during the presser.

What an insecure and pathetic old man.

Nothing quite says dignity like an applause cue.

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post

I fear Mr Trump will try to communicate any vision he has via Twitter, and his attempts to motivate others will be by berating them. Americans will quickly yearn for Obama's coolness, his oratory, and most definitely his leadership.
    I think Trump's presidency has a chance to ultimately make Obama an incredibly popular figure in his post-presidency, just based on the comparison.
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Highlights from his first news conference in over 6 months.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/11/u...smtyp=cur&_r=0

He denied that he has any business dealings in Russia: I tweeted out that I have no dealings with Russia. I have no deals in Russia. I have no deals that could happen in Russia because weve stayed away. And I have no loans with Russia. As a real estate developer, I have very, very little debt.
    So he just expects us to believe this because he says so? Release your damn taxes!

The internal thought process is that Trump said Mexico would pay for it, and he won the election. So, agreeing with the position correlates to votes. A Congress without term limits will always consider future votes first, and policy second.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper
    Isn't this pretty much how it always turns out, regardless of who's in the White House or who's in control of Congress?

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

He stated they want to repeal and replace the ACA, and it would happen on the same day. That'll be interesting.

He's also still totally all about building the Mexican wall. I can't imagine a scenario where this gets done. I can see it being started and then the funding for it is pulled, and stopped (like one of his condo/hotels in Rosarito, Mexico). They build it in California and Arizona then Mexicans start instagram'ing them hopping over with ladders. Would be brilliant. Can't wait.
    This is what I've been saying. The wall, or reinforced fencing will be started. And it won't be finished. But something will be done and Mexico will pay at least a symbolic amount that can be used in a future campaign speech.

The rest of your post makes sense and the money might eventually be shifted to more CBP and new technology.
    George, Gabe, Stick >>> Hal, Randy, Cash

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    I truly wish twitter would ban him. They should've done it long ago.
    Twitter would harm itself by banning him. It's competitors in the social media world would like nothing better than to have Trump and his millions of followers be transferred to their company.
    George, Gabe, Stick >>> Hal, Randy, Cash

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    Wow. And, I'm the one that gets accused of false equivalencies. You're comparing apples to bicycles.

2.8 million is razor thin when compared to the 136.6 million votes that were cast.

And, I specifically stated that the election result could NOT be considered any sort of mandate. But that 74 vote margin needs to compared with the 538 total Electors. Yes, this Electoral College result was closer than most. Still doesn't mean Trump barely won in the EC. He won by over 30% of the votes cast, a significantly greater margin than the 4% represented by those 2.8 million voters.
    I understand. And you've done a perfect job of illustrating why the EC should be gotten rid of ASAP.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

That's possible, although Mexico would still have to agree to it, and I don't see why they would (which gets back to the original question). What's the point of hurting their own credit for no real reason unless they are being blackmailed/pressured in some form?
    It probably wouldn't be quite as blatant as I say. But there will be some "economic aid package to Mexico" down the road that essentially covers the cost.

Trump gets his wall and takes credit for getting Mexico to pay for it.

Mexico keeps good relations with Washington.

US Tax payer gets bent over for a wall that probably doesn't serve any purpose except make the company that wins the construction bid rich. And down the road the owner of that construction company will claim he's a boot strapy self made man who never had any help from the government.
    Baseball is life;

I'd love for him to release tax returns.

I am not a reporter.

I'm convinced they will never be released since he's not legally required to do so.

Would love to see a law past that anyone running for president is required to release the last 10 year's tax returns but probably not going to happen.
    Why? What business is it of ours what the details of a candidate's tax return looks like? Is there an income level above which a candidate should be disqualified? Is there a minimum allowable charitable contribution level? Should a candidate be disqualified if he legally takes certain deductions? Should we have visibility on his family's medical costs? Should someone be disqualified if they earned income from certain foreign sources before taking office? I just don't see what value that information has in determining who we should vote for.

Personally, I'd like to see rules and regulations codified concerning how a high-placed political leader's assets are managed, to include things like the blind trust and even charitable foundation management. But I've long thought that the actual tax returns are absolutely none of our business.

- President Barack Obama

Thread Information