+ Reply to Thread
Page 149 of 150 FirstFirst ... 49 99 139 146 147 148 149 150 LastLast
Results 3,701 to 3,725 of 3737
  1. #3701

    Re: Another day, another mass shooting in America

    Some gun numbers.

    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-133m-firearms

    American civilians own at least 265m firearms, which gives Americans the highest rate of per capita firearm ownership in the world, with about one gun for every American.
    But surveys show that gun ownership in America is actually highly concentrated. Only 22 to 31% of Americans adults say they personally own a gun.
    Most of Americaís gun owners have relatively modest collections, with the majority of gun owners having an average of just three guns, and nearly half owning just one or two, according to a 2015 survey by Harvard and Northeastern researchers, which gave the most in-depth estimate of Americansí current patterns of gun ownerships.
    But Americaís gun super-owners, have amassed huge collections. Just 3% of American adults own a collective 133m firearms Ė half of Americaís total gun stock. These owners have collections that range from eight to 140 guns, the 2015 study found. Their average collection: 17 guns each.
    Super-owners were less diverse than gun owners overall, with super-owners more likely to be male, less likely to be black or Hispanic, and more likely to own a gun for protection, researchers said.
    More than 38,000 Americans were killed with guns last year, according to preliminary statistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
    Gun suicides make up the majority of gun deaths, more than 20,000 each year. But violent gun injuries represent an even larger toll: more than 60,000 people are shot each year and survive, according to CDC estimates.
    More than 700 gun murders each year are related to domestic violence. An Associated Press analysis of official crime data between 2006 and 2014 found an average of 760 Americans were killed with guns each year by spouses, former spouses, or dating partners.
    More than half of Americaís gun homicides were clustered in just 127 cities and towns, which together have less than a quarter of the nationís population.

  2. #3702

    Re: Another day, another mass shooting in America

    I was able to buy an AR-15 in five minutes. Iím 20 and my ID is expired.

    Goddammit. Why can't we have better gun laws in this country? I am so over the second amendment.

  3. #3703

    Re: Another day, another mass shooting in America

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    I was able to buy an AR-15 in five minutes. Iím 20 and my ID is expired.

    Goddammit. Why can't we have better gun laws in this country? I am so over the second amendment.
    The second amendment doesn't say what he NRA says it does.

    "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

    There's that annoying word "regulated" right there in the second amendment. So inconvenient.

    A reading of the Federalist Papers shows that this amendment was a result of how to provide for national security. They opted for a "people's army" if you will, a standing militia rather than a standing army. The Massachusetts Minutemen were the precious example of the implementation of such an idea, but the Federalist Papers discussion goes back to the ancient Greeks.

    The amendment itself clearly states that the purpose of the amendment is to provide for national security. It clearly states that the role of an arms bearing populace to meet these national security requirements is subject to regulation. For almost 200 years, the courts unwaveringly recognized and supported government regulation of guns.

    Anything else is pure fiction. The NRA an arm of the gun industry. It exists to boost corporate profits, which is the purpose of its so-called "second amendment" lobby. They are one of the best examples in US history of a successful lobbying effort. It's also one of the best examples of corporations convincing people to vote against their own interests, proving PT Barnum's adage, "There's a sucker born every minute."

  4. #3704
    Not fooling anyone. Soriambi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: Another day, another mass shooting in America

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    The second amendment doesn't say what he NRA says it does.

    "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

    There's that annoying word "regulated" right there in the second amendment. So inconvenient.

    A reading of the Federalist Papers shows that this amendment was a result of how to provide for national security. They opted for a "people's army" if you will, a standing militia rather than a standing army. The Massachusetts Minutemen were the precious example of the implementation of such an idea, but the Federalist Papers discussion goes back to the ancient Greeks.

    The amendment itself clearly states that the purpose of the amendment is to provide for national security. It clearly states that the role of an arms bearing populace to meet these national security requirements is subject to regulation. For almost 200 years, the courts unwaveringly recognized and supported government regulation of guns.

    Anything else is pure fiction. The NRA an arm of the gun industry. It exists to boost corporate profits, which is the purpose of its so-called "second amendment" lobby. They are one of the best examples in US history of a successful lobbying effort. It's also one of the best examples of corporations convincing people to vote against their own interests, proving PT Barnum's adage, "There's a sucker born every minute."
    I don't think the amendment clearly states anything, which is the issue with it. It's the only amendment with an explanatory clause, and no one's quite sure how to deal with that. No argument with most of the rest of what you say.
    -Kevin

    "My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan


    "I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

    RIP, Pete.

  5. #3705
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    The second amendment doesn't say what he NRA says it does.

    "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

    There's that annoying word "regulated" right there in the second amendment. So inconvenient.

    A reading of the Federalist Papers shows that this amendment was a result of how to provide for national security. They opted for a "people's army" if you will, a standing militia rather than a standing army. The Massachusetts Minutemen were the precious example of the implementation of such an idea, but the Federalist Papers discussion goes back to the ancient Greeks.

    The amendment itself clearly states that the purpose of the amendment is to provide for national security. It clearly states that the role of an arms bearing populace to meet these national security requirements is subject to regulation. For almost 200 years, the courts unwaveringly recognized and supported government regulation of guns.

    Anything else is pure fiction. The NRA an arm of the gun industry. It exists to boost corporate profits, which is the purpose of its so-called "second amendment" lobby. They are one of the best examples in US history of a successful lobbying effort. It's also one of the best examples of corporations convincing people to vote against their own interests, proving PT Barnum's adage, "There's a sucker born every minute."
    You're right, the Second Amendment doesnít mean what the NRA says it does. Unfortunately, it does mean what the Supreme Court says it does.

  6. #3706
    Get Off My Lawn. Maynerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs

    Re: Another day, another mass shooting in America

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    You're right, the Second Amendment doesnít mean what the NRA says it does. Unfortunately, it does mean what the Supreme Court says it does.
    True, however, wouldn't a reasonable Congress address this...


    Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi
    I don't think the amendment clearly states anything, which is the issue with it.

    ...by amending the Second Amendment to allow for fewer interpretational issues?

    "But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

  7. #3707

    Re: Another day, another mass shooting in America

    Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    True, however, wouldn't a reasonable Congress address this...




    ...by amending the Second Amendment to allow for fewer interpretational issues?

    I have a vague recollection of something like that maybe existing once long ago?

  8. #3708
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    True, however, wouldn't a reasonable Congress address this...





    ...by amending the Second Amendment to allow for fewer interpretational issues?
    You couldnít get a two-thirds majority in both houses to agree that the sun rises in the east.

  9. #3709
    Not fooling anyone. Soriambi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: Another day, another mass shooting in America

    Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    True, however, wouldn't a reasonable Congress address this...





    ...by amending the Second Amendment to allow for fewer interpretational issues?
    Well, sure, but what's your point?
    -Kevin

    "My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan


    "I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

    RIP, Pete.

  10. #3710
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: Another day, another mass shooting in America

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...hts/ar-BBGkfQ9

    Just what we need, an expansion of gun rights so of course that's what the House is working on.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  11. #3711
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: Another day, another mass shooting in America

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...hts/ar-BBGkfQ9

    Just what we need, an expansion of gun rights so of course that's what the House is working on.
    States rights only matter to them when it's convenient.

  12. #3712
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: Another day, another mass shooting in America

    Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    States rights only matter to them when it's convenient.
    I think it's been that way since 1787.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  13. #3713
    Get Off My Lawn. Maynerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs

    Re: Another day, another mass shooting in America

    Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    States rights only matter to them when it's convenient.
    Just as the deficit is only important when the other party is in power.

    "But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

  14. #3714
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: Another day, another mass shooting in America

    Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    Just as the deficit is only important when the other party is in power.
    Except Rhodyís point referred to ONE partyí hypocrisy. Republicans say regularly of their belief in stateís rights over federal and the federal government needs to stay out of it. Just like with spending it seems to only apply to things that benefit their belief at the moment. The debt issue relates to BOTH parties so comparing the debt issue to this is not an Apple to Apple comparison.
    Posts in invisible key strokes

  15. #3715
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: Another day, another mass shooting in America

    Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    Just as the deficit is only important when the other party is in power.
    No idea what that has to do with guns.

    I mean after the shooting in Vegas it "wasn't the time" to discuss it but I guess we are far enough removed that the Federal Government is ready to take up the mantle of trampling States Rights in favor of expanding federal Gun Rights of the poor oppressed conceal carry folks who travel across state lines.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  16. #3716

    Re: Another day, another mass shooting in America

    Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    States rights only matter to them when it's convenient.
    This is exactly why they should pass this.

    It would set a precedent towards national laws governing guns in the future.

    And let's face it-- statistically not only aren't licensed handgun owners a problem, if they did want to kill someone over state lines a law saying they can't take their gun there wouldn't stop them anyway.

  17. #3717
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    This is exactly why they should pass this.

    It would set a precedent towards national laws governing guns in the future.

    And let's face it-- statistically not only aren't licensed handgun owners a problem, if they did want to kill someone over state lines a law saying they can't take their gun there wouldn't stop them anyway.
    Setting the loosest state standards as a national standard isnít what I was looking for. It sets no precedent towards any national standards that would limit anyone's behavior, ever.

  18. #3718

    Re: Another day, another mass shooting in America

    I guess universal background checks and uniform concealed carry legislation is too much to hope for.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

  19. #3719

    Re: Another day, another mass shooting in America

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Setting the loosest state standards as a national standard isnít what I was looking for. It sets no precedent towards any national standards that would limit anyone's behavior, ever.
    What do you think is the loosest state standard for concealed carry?

    And that wouldn't make it the national standard. That would just allow people from that state to carry when visiting another state.

    And it would clearly set a precedent for future national gun laws. It wouldn't necessarily make any other national gun laws a slam-dunk, but there would be an argument to be made.

  20. #3720
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    What do you think is the loosest state standard for concealed carry?

    And that wouldn't make it the national standard. That would just allow people from that state to carry when visiting another state.

    And it would clearly set a precedent for future national gun laws. It wouldn't necessarily make any other national gun laws a slam-dunk, but there would be an argument to be made.
    There are already some national standards. I donít see how this furthers the concept in the slightest.

  21. #3721

    Re: Another day, another mass shooting in America

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    There are already some national standards. I donít see how this furthers the concept in the slightest.
    I see state to state reciprocity as the necessary first step to a national firearm license.

  22. #3722
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: Another day, another mass shooting in America

    8 states allow conceal carry with no permit. I guess for residents of those 8 states it's the old west on laws when traveling out of state.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  23. #3723

    Re: Another day, another mass shooting in America

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    8 states allow conceal carry with no permit. I guess for residents of those 8 states it's the old west on laws when traveling out of state.
    Not as I see it.

    The law would allow those who have a license to carry to have that license honored in other states.

    If they have no license, then they cannot carry in another state.

  24. #3724

    Re: Another day, another mass shooting in America

    BTW, do you guys think that there are a whole bunch of licensed gun holders that are dying to shoot people in anther state however the lack of that state honoring their license is what's holding them back?

  25. #3725
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: Another day, another mass shooting in America

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    BTW, do you guys think that there are a whole bunch of licensed gun holders that are dying to shoot people in anther state however the lack of that state honoring their license is what's holding them back?
    No I don't but I don't view this legislation as the first step to National gun control laws either.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts