+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 150 1 2 3 4 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Another day, another mass shooting in America

I'm so sick of this garbage. Sick of it. It makes me ashamed to be American.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/01/politi...nse/index.html

Re: Another day, another mass shooting in America

10 dead. 10 Injured.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    I'm so sick of this garbage. Sick of it. It makes me ashamed to be American.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/01/politi...nse/index.html
    Never going to stop. America loves it's guns more then it's children.

NYYF Legend

By Monday it will be back to the Kardashians. I have given up. This is America. Guns are cool maaaaannn! Who cares how many die. Yes I am pissed off
    Posts in invisible key strokes

NYYF Legend

NYC or 2.77 miles from the greatest stadium on earth

Another day another nerdy white kid goes on shooting spree cuz he couldn't get any sex.
    Fire Tanaka

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    By Monday it will be back to the Kardashians. I have given up. This is America. Guns are cool maaaaannn! Who cares how many die. Yes I am pissed off
    We should wait to see how he actually got the gun. It's possible he wouldn't have been stopped by background checks.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonC View Post
    We should wait to see how he actually got the gun. It's possible he wouldn't have been stopped by background checks.
    Doesn't matter. Nothing will change. Not as long as the NRA owns DC
    Posts in invisible key strokes

Quote Originally Posted by Sam18 View Post
    Another day another nerdy white kid goes on shooting spree cuz he couldn't get any sex.
    Biracial.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

It's all about gun control and education. Can America do that?

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

I guarantee that at work today, more people will talk about the Yankees finally clinching a playoff spot than the shooting.

Gun Control lost after Sandy Hook. If you want to be safe, move to Australia or the UK.

Everything has a price. The price to live in America is your life by gun violence.
    Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's
    2016 NYYFans.com Fantasy Baseball League Champjons

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's
    2016 NYYFans.com Fantasy Baseball League Champjons

I have no answer to the senseless killing, but you'd be shocked at how many believe that the answer is arming everybody...the students, the movie goers, or just about anyone who goes out of the house. It's third grade reasoning, at best.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BRenninger View Post
    Never going to stop. America loves it's guns more then it's children.

It's not that America loves guns as much as the NRA loves getting funded by the gun and munition manufacturers and that Congress simply adores the bribes they get from the NRA to not disturb the status quo. At least Obama has seen the light, but Congress gets too much money to change current laws.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    I have no answer to the senseless killing, but you'd be shocked at how many believe that the answer is arming everybody...the students, the movie goers, or just about anyone who goes out of the house. It's third grade reasoning, at best.

Bob, I know many, many people who want rigorous gun control but it will never happen while the money flows from the gun and munition manufacturers to the NRA and from the NRA to Congress. Maybe if a CEO of a major gun manufacturer, or if the President of the NRA had someone from his immediate family caught up in one of these all to frequent massacres, things might start to change.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

When will responsible gun owners and members of the NRA stand up to the lobbying arm of that entity? Polls show most gun owners agree that there should be background checks and other common sense restrictions but the NRA and the candidates they pay for won't hear it.

The NRA doesn't represent gun owners, it represents gun manufacturers who have no interest in any regulation at all.

Yes there are nuts who really think "the only thing that stops a bad man with a gun is a good man with a gun" but I refuse to believe that the majority of gun owners and NRA members think that it's OK to have mentally ill people able to legally get a gun with ease.

I don't know what the answer is, because it is true that anyone who wants to get a gun will be able to - legally or not - because there's just so many guns in the country. However to continually do nothing like we have is just making us the laughingstock of the civilized world.

Ted Cruz, Mike Huckabee, and the rest of the NRA owned candidates care more about protecting lunatics rights to get guns than safety of citizens. And what's sad/scary is, even if they don't they still have to say things that make it sound that way because they live in fear of the gun nuts turning on them.

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Externalities of gun manufacturing.

Compel the gun industry to the table financially for every gun-related murder, and you'll see them adjust their price points overnight. You'd then see guns winding up in the wrong hands fall precipitously. Until measures like these are taken, it's just same sh..t different day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    I saw a cartoon yesterday that said something like, "Everyone is safer if we all have guns. War zones are known for their safety, after all."

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    When will responsible gun owners and members of the NRA stand up to the lobbying arm of that entity? Polls show most gun owners agree that there should be background checks and other common sense restrictions but the NRA and the candidates they pay for won't hear it.

Good question. These are the same people that are always saying "when will the moderate Muslims stand up to the extremists?" Bunch of hypocrites.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

NYYF Legend

Is there anyone here stupid enough to accept the NRA's mantra "Guns don't kill people, people kill people"?

I simple go bananas whenever I hear that slogan.

When will we petition Congress and tell them that if they don't pass responsible gun laws we will vote them out of office?
    These bastards who run our country, in the majority have never worked a day in their lives and they have lived off out tax dollars for their entire lives and supplement their incomes with bribes from institutions like the NRA, tha Pharmaceutical Industry, The auto industry and their ilk.

Just look at my Governor of NJ. Chris Christy who maintains he has nothing to do with Bridgegate. No one in NJ believes him. How much time has he spent in our state? Instead he is spending my tax dollars flying around the country, living in the best hotels and eating at the best restaurants (just look at his enormous fat body) and not spending one cent of his personal money. All the while knowing with absolute certainty that he has absolutely no chance at the Republican nomination for President.

When will we get wise to these crooks?

It is time we citizens get angry about what is happening in Washington and regain control of our destiny through the ballot box. The whole Washington scene disgusts me. And I will not even get into what I think of Trump.

Andy

Well said.

Investigate Gun industry's externality.

It's the missing link.

Let me begin by saying I honestly am trying to learn about perspectives with this post, not jam my opinion down anyone's throats or insult anyone who doesn't think about this the way I do. I'm still trying to educate myself on this matter.

I believe in the second amendment. I know many people mock that out of understandable frustration around this chain of events. But I do believe in the rights of the individual to arm themselves and protect themselves. I also believe that some common sense controls to try and prevent guns from getting into the wrong hands shouldn't be shouted down by simply yelling SECOND AMENDMENT as loud as possible. For some reason, our country's leadership can't seem to have constructive conversation about this. How do we protect the individual's liberty to own a gun, while simultaneously protect the individual's liberty to go to school without having to wear a bullet proof vest? It is so frustrating that an informed discussion can't be held, with both sides insisting it's my way or the high way.

I do have a question though. Again, I'm asking because I want to expand my knowledge so I'm hoping for calm, educational responses and not snarky one-liners here... I support some of the gun control measures that have been proposed. They just seem common sense. That said, how would those measures address this problem specifically? While I support background checks and restrictions on weapons that go beyond simple self-defense, can someone help me understand how that stops someone from committing this type of evil act?

I feel like the cry out for gun control when these events occur, while understandable, is like a doctor putting a bandaid on a papercut when the patient was in the ER because of a broken leg. What are the measures that are going to stop these events from occurring? Why can't we get common sense gun control, but why do we focus on that if it's not going to solve this problem? Is there a broader strategy that is feasible and of which gun control is a part that should be discussed?

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Let me begin by saying I honestly am trying to learn about perspectives with this post, not jam my opinion down anyone's throats or insult anyone who doesn't think about this the way I do. I'm still trying to educate myself on this matter.

I believe in the second amendment. I know many people mock that out of understandable frustration around this chain of events. But I do believe in the rights of the individual to arm themselves and protect themselves. I also believe that some common sense controls to try and prevent guns from getting into the wrong hands shouldn't be shouted down by simply yelling SECOND AMENDMENT as loud as possible. For some reason, our country's leadership can't seem to have constructive conversation about this. How do we protect the individual's liberty to own a gun, while simultaneously protect the individual's liberty to go to school without having to wear a bullet proof vest? It is so frustrating that an informed discussion can't be held, with both sides insisting it's my way or the high way.

I do have a question though. Again, I'm asking because I want to expand my knowledge so I'm hoping for calm, educational responses and not snarky one-liners here... I support some of the gun control measures that have been proposed. They just seem common sense. That said, how would those measures address this problem specifically? While I support background checks and restrictions on weapons that go beyond simple self-defense, can someone help me understand how that stops someone from committing this type of evil act?

I feel like the cry out for gun control when these events occur, while understandable, is like a doctor putting a bandaid on a papercut when the patient was in the ER because of a broken leg. What are the measures that are going to stop these events from occurring? Why can't we get common sense gun control, but why do we focus on that if it's not going to solve this problem? Is there a broader strategy that is feasible and of which gun control is a part that should be discussed?
    You've come to the wrong site if you want a sane discussion about guns.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    [...]Again, I'm asking because I want to expand my knowledge so I'm hoping for calm, educational responses and not snarky one-liners here... [...]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoodoo View Post
    You had one job, Hoodoo. FAIL.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodoo View Post
    It's to the point where we need 'Dad' to come in and fix this. The debate is drawn along the lines of the 2nd amendment. And the stoolies at the NRA do the gun manufacturers' bidding by shilling the rhetoric. LaPierre is a loon. But then, so are leftwing extremists who want to repeal the 2nd amendment.

You've got to hit the gun manufacturer where it hurts. Its wallet for every gun-related murder moving forward. Every gun ever made - if it was made by Smith & Wesson, and it's proven in a court of law that was the gun that fired the bullet that killed the man, then S&W gets a substantial fine.

What isn't 'opinion' is that it costs taxpayers over $100b (BILLION) a year due to the effects of gun violence. Those are the externalities. The gunshot victims and deceased. The cost and effects of the violence. Yet the manufacturer profits from it all.

Fix that. Compel them to the table.

As it stands there are simply too many guns sold. Fix the price points by fining the manufacturer for each murder. It'd help rectify the situation immensely.

Thread Information