+ Reply to Thread
Page 150 of 150 FirstFirst ... 50 100 140 147 148 149 150
Results 3,726 to 3,737 of 3737
  1. #3726

    Re: Another day, another mass shooting in America

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    No I don't but I don't view this legislation as the first step to National gun control laws either.
    Ok...

  2. #3727
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: Another day, another mass shooting in America

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Ok...
    I don't see anything positive or useful in this.

    I also think its a waste of congressional time and effort that should be spent in more productive areas.

    But if later it becomes back door precedent that can be used to get tougher national gun legislation down the road, I'll try and remember it was Mr. Coffee who gets the credit for incredible foresight.

    But more likely I see it eroding the stronger laws of potentially neighboring states.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  3. #3728

    Re: Another day, another mass shooting in America

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I don't see anything positive or useful in this.

    I also think its a waste of congressional time and effort that should be spent in more productive areas.

    But if later it becomes back door precedent that can be used to get tougher national gun legislation down the road, I'll try and remember it was Mr. Coffee who gets the credit for incredible foresight.

    But more likely I see it eroding the stronger laws of potentially neighboring states.
    I'm not looking for credit-- I've come to terms with the fact that I will be unappreciated in my lifetime.

    That said, the problem isn't with licensed CC holders. It's a non-issue.

    Those stronger neighboring gun laws are already being eroded by those who-- get this-- don't follow the law.

    The part we're not addressing is that the other bill this is paired with aims to strengthen background checks. To shoot that down for this reason is ludicrous, IMO.

  4. #3729
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: Another day, another mass shooting in America

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I'm not looking for credit-- I've come to terms with the fact that I will be unappreciated in my lifetime.

    That said, the problem isn't with licensed CC holders. It's a non-issue.

    Those stronger neighboring gun laws are already being eroded by those who-- get this-- don't follow the law.

    The part we're not addressing is that the other bill this is paired with aims to strengthen background checks. To shoot that down for this reason is ludicrous, IMO.
    I don't see a single thing about this in this bill. Maybe you can point me to the section I missed.
    https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...y+act%22%5D%7D

    If it was included in this bill or passed before this one maybe you're on to something. By I don't even see a reference to the other bill your are referencing.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  5. #3730

    Re: Another day, another mass shooting in America

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I don't see a single thing about this in this bill. Maybe you can point me to the section I missed.
    https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...y+act%22%5D%7D

    If it was included in this bill or passed before this one maybe you're on to something. By I don't even see a reference to the other bill your are referencing.
    It's a different bill. Look at the original article you posted.

  6. #3731
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: Another day, another mass shooting in America

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    It's a different bill. Look at the original article you posted.
    Let me know when that one comes up for a vote and we'll see if it passes.

    I read that bill, its not that exciting but it's a start.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  7. #3732
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: Another day, another mass shooting in America

    Five years ago my hometown where I was born, raised and still live became a national name. 20 elementary school students and 6 teachers/principal were slaughtered by a disturbed man at Sandy Hook Elementary School right here in Newtown, CT. No point to be made other than to note it and reflect on it.
    Posts in invisible key strokes

  8. #3733
    Get Off My Lawn. Maynerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs

    Re: Another day, another mass shooting in America

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    No point to be made other than to note it and reflect on it.
    Oh, there's definitely a point to be made. In five years we've done NOTHING to prevent a similar tragedy. That's what we, as a society, should be reflecting upon.

    "But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

  9. #3734

    Re: Another day, another mass shooting in America

    Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    Oh, there's definitely a point to be made. In five years we've done NOTHING to prevent a similar tragedy. That's what we, as a society, should be reflecting upon.
    Yes, this despite the fact that Americans are overwhelming in favor of gun safety measures like background checks, despite the fact that the majority of NRA members are in favor of gun safety measures like background checks.

    All this shows is that politicians will respond to their big donors like gun manufacturers before anyone else.

  10. #3735
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: Another day, another mass shooting in America

    Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    Oh, there's definitely a point to be made. In five years we've done NOTHING to prevent a similar tragedy. That's what we, as a society, should be reflecting upon.
    Agreed but I am also a realist and realize this is sadly the norm.
    Posts in invisible key strokes

  11. #3736

    Re: Another day, another mass shooting in America

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    Yes, this despite the fact that Americans are overwhelming in favor of gun safety measures like background checks, despite the fact that the majority of NRA members are in favor of gun safety measures like background checks.

    All this shows is that politicians will respond to their big donors like gun manufacturers before anyone else.
    I'm not sure how stricter gun laws (short of outright ban) could have prevented Sandy Hook. Lanza killed his mom and took her guns. He didn't purchase them himself.

    That said, stricter laws can prevent some of these shootings.

  12. #3737

    Re: Another day, another mass shooting in America

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I'm not sure how stricter gun laws (short of outright ban) could have prevented Sandy Hook. Lanza killed his mom and took her guns. He didn't purchase them himself.

    That said, stricter laws can prevent some of these shootings.
    I agree if we look at it in the narrow context of that situation and the individuals involved. However, the problem is that our permissive gun laws and the unchecked advertising by the firearms industry foster a culture that leads to the actions of the shooter's mother and its ultimate affect on him.

    The plain truth is staring us right in the face. We have more gun deaths in this country than the rest of the industrialized countries combined. They restrict guns to varying degrees far more than we do. That creates a different kind of gun culture than ours.

    All we have to do is look at the effect that the restrictions on smoking had. Within in a generation, smoking habits had been turned on their ear. If we had a corresponding effort toward guns, we'd get the same result. Look at the impact of MADD and of holding bars more responsible for the accidents created by drunk drivers. Same thing as smoking restrictions, labeling, and advertising.

    Arguing over finding the right law is a fool's errand. Anything that restricts guns and therefore heightens the awareness of their dangers and fosters greater respect for their use is a step in the right direction.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts