+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2015 New York Jets Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    In this case, though, it seems they were more or less choosing to kick and didn't really have a strong preference of end to defend. It's not like there was a significant wind like there was in the 1962 game or a student section or something. They definitely meant to defend an end, but I think that was more or less arbitrary and didn't make a difference.
    i would agree with you but Pats definitely went on field with intent to kick and yet their rep was still a bit beside himself when the refs set the order of the kickoff. I know the winds at MetLife are not necessarily like Jeppesen Stadium in 1962 but hot damn, if you hear the postgame comments, Belichick's instructions were loud and clear yet you still see the Pats captain in wide-eyed disbelief after the flip. Football players iz dumb, i still suspect Belichick's instructions were misunderstood. Even if the wind were only 5 mph, if you intend to kick, why not use the coin flip win to choose the goal? why just say "kick"? that makes no sense.

They Abner Haynes'd, they did.

Connecticut Transplant TheDozen's Avatar

I still can't believe overthinking the coin toss after the Jets coughed up the lead. It felt great to win immediately.

Funny to have Rex Ryan's team as the last potential obstacle.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDozen View Post
    I still can't believe overthinking the coin toss after the Jets coughed up the lead. It felt great to win immediately.

With the new OT rules, I actually think kicking off in OT is a good strategy in many cases. It didn't work out for the Pats this time, but I really think it's something more teams should seriously consider.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDozen View Post

I'm really looking forward to that game. After a dramatic win against the Patriots, a lot of us long suffering Jets fans have a lot invested in the outcome.

With the new OT rules, I actually think kicking off in OT is a good strategy in many cases. It didn't work out for the Pats this time, but I really think it's something more teams should seriously consider.
    I can't imagine why given that you unnecessarily accept the risk you may never touch the ball offensively. I mean, perhaps if there were insane weather conditions and direction of your offense/defense was massively one-sided? Why do you think this may be a good strategy? Especially with the way the Jets defense was containing the Pats offense?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I'm really looking forward to that game. After a dramatic win against the Patriots, a lot of us long suffering Jets fans have a lot invested in the outcome.
    Good luck.

I can't imagine why given that you unnecessarily accept the risk you may never touch the ball offensively. I mean, perhaps if there were insane weather conditions and direction of your offense/defense was massively one-sided? Why do you think this may be a good strategy? Especially with the way the Jets defense was containing the Pats offense?
    I agree. There are very few situations where kicking the ball makes sense in OT.

Yeah, I don't care if BB wanted to kick, it's still an awful decision and they paid for it immediately. Trying to spin it as more Patriots smarts is dumb.

NYYF Legend

The funny thing is that the coin flip decision is the postgame narrative ("the Jets were given a Christmas present" was a headline everywhere) but watching that game, I thought the Jets pretty strongly outplayed the Pats throughout.

The Pats didn't have an offensive touchdown until they went into high-risk, high-reward desperation mode (4th and 9 conversion), and they were only close to begin with because of a good but semi-fluky defensive play (I mean the Jets player had the best chance to recover that fumble to begin with). They kind of played it a little safe with the lead late (somewhat successfully), and still had a few deep balls barely miss.

I know the Pats are hurt and thats all anyone talks about, but who are the Pats getting back besides Edelman?

NYYF Legend

The Patriots did the same thing in an OT game against the Broncos in 2013. They won that game.

I think it can be good strategy because it opens the possibility of winning the game on a FG on your first possession, something the other team can't do. Let's say you have Gostkowski and you're pretty much ensured a touchback on your kickoff, or a very good chance of one. Over the past several years, teams have scored a touchdown on roughly 16% of their drives starting from their own 20 yard line. If you're a great offense, I'd imagine that's higher, if not, I'd imagine that's lower. Let's say the offense is average. That means you have a 16% chance of losing the game without touching the ball. There's about another 11% chance of the other team getting a FG, which would leave you in a CFB type situation, knowing you need a FG to tie or a TD to win (and letting you know if you need to go for it on fourth down to get in FG range.) You have about an 84% chance of either getting the ball with the score still tied or down 3 knowing what you need to do.

If you do get the ball with the score still tied, which is more likely than not, it's fairly likely that you'll get the ball in either better field position then your own 20 or at your own 20. It's possible you'll get the ball inside your own 20, but you'd need only a field goal to win the game. If the other team has an offense that has difficulty scoring touchdowns or is having trouble moving the ball, or if you have a really good defense, I like taking that 76% chance (or higher) of getting the ball back with the score tied needing only a field goal rather than that 16% chance of scoring a touchdown on your first drive and winning the game. You'll lose and look like a dope like the Patriots did here and there, but in the long run I think it's a strategy that pays off if used in the correct situations (weather, against certain kinds of teams, by certain kinds of teams.)

All things being equal the team that receives the OT kickoff should win about 53% of the time, so I'm certainly not suggesting kicking off in all situations is a good idea, but I think there are numerous situations where it might be worth considering (certainly far more than under the old rule).

I think it can be good strategy because it opens the possibility of winning the game on a FG on your first possession, something the other team can't do. Let's say you have Gostkowski and you're pretty much ensured a touchback on your kickoff, or a very good chance of one. Over the past several years, teams have scored a touchdown on roughly 16% of their drives starting from their own 20 yard line. If you're a great offense, I'd imagine that's higher, if not, I'd imagine that's lower. Let's say the offense is average. That means you have a 16% chance of losing the game without touching the ball. There's about another 11% chance of the other team getting a FG, which would leave you in a CFB type situation, knowing you need a FG to tie or a TD to win (and letting you know if you need to go for it on fourth down to get in FG range.) You have about an 84% chance of either getting the ball with the score still tied or down 3 knowing what you need to do.

If you do get the ball with the score still tied, which is more likely than not, it's fairly likely that you'll get the ball in either better field position then your own 20 or at your own 20. It's possible you'll get the ball inside your own 20, but you'd need only a field goal to win the game. If the other team has an offense that has difficulty scoring touchdowns or is having trouble moving the ball, or if you have a really good defense, I like taking that 76% chance (or higher) of getting the ball back with the score tied needing only a field goal rather than that 16% chance of scoring a touchdown on your first drive and winning the game. You'll lose and look like a dope like the Patriots did here and there, but in the long run I think it's a strategy that pays off if used in the correct situations (weather, against certain kinds of teams, by certain kinds of teams.)

All things being equal the team that receives the OT kickoff should win about 53% of the time, so I'm certainly not suggesting kicking off in all situations is a good idea, but I think there are numerous situations where it might be worth considering (certainly far more than under the old rule).
    Thank you for the well thought out and detailed response. I still don't get it though. If you elect to kick, you have to make at least one offensive stop.

If the receiving team scores a TD, you're done.

If they score a FG, they are probably putting you on the 20 when you gain possession - just like you would have been if you elected to receive.

If they punt without scoring, you can win with a FG... although it's possible you could win with a FG if you elect to receive as well and your defense makes that same single (or multiple, for that matter) stand against the other team's offense.

If you have an immovable force defense and elite special teams perhaps you bank that you can get tremendous field position... but that gamble isn't really worth taking the risk that you never see the ball offensively. And I wouldn't put New England's play yesterday in that category.

NYYF Legend

This game is only 13 minutes old and I already want to punch something.

Quote Originally Posted by RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees View Post
    This game is only 13 minutes old and I already want to punch something.
    You should try watching a NY Rangers' game with my wife.

NYYF Legend

Upset, but not even that mad. They simply didn't play like they deserved to be there today. Losing to a rudderless, floundering team like the Bills when the season is on the line isn't a fluke. The defense simply could not get off the field.

If anything I'm a bit disappointed with Bowles. Still appreciate him, but this game was a pretty damning moment for him.

NYYF Legend

I'm starting to think that the Jets are performance art, a half century in the making.

Horrible defensive game plan for the Jets. Why is Revis playing 10-15 yards off Watkins all day? Especially after Watkins started to just feast on 10 yard curl and inside slant routes...maybe make an adjustment and play him up at the line? Jam him and make it hard for him to get free. This is what Revis excels at anyway. He played Watkins this way in the first matchup, and Watkins I think had 3 catches.

They had Revis give way too much cushion. Other then a few passes to Salas, the only guy Taylor was looking at was Watkins.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees View Post
    I'm starting to think that the Jets are performance art, a half century in the making.
    The actors change, the script NEVER does. Same Old Jets.

It's even more annoying that, even had they won, the Jets were totally outplayed and undeserving.

This was brutal.

So predictable. Badly played, even worse coached. I haven't been a huge Bowles guy all year, but I'm even lower on him now than I was. Hopefully he learned from this season.

NYYF Legend

Revis's Island uninhabited today, along with the rest of the Jets D

The stupid part is that Rex cost the Jets a playoff berth, yet he has nothing to show for it on his team nor led the Jets anywhere in the last years here. Thanks for delivering again Rex

NYYF Legend

I have come to believe the same thing. Players change, coaches change. But Jets always end up disappointing us in the end. They can beat the Pats but also lost 2 games to the Bills and one to the Raiders!

NYYF Legend

Rex did not cost the Jets the playoffs. Jets coming up small in biggest game of the season cost them the playoffs.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    I have come to believe the same thing. Players change, coaches change. But Jets always end up disappointing us in the end. They can beat the Pats but also lost 2 games to the Bills and one to the Raiders!
    Don't forget the gem against the Eagles.

NYYF Legend

Yes, A win in just one of those games gets the Jets into the playoffs. Of course 10-6 usually gets you in too.

The only 10-6 team in the NFL not in the playoffs. #Jets

Texans and Redskins both won their divisions at 9-7.

Thread Information