+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2015 New York Giants Thread

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    He's a project in that he isnt ready. Its not like they can just slot him into the starting lineup in Week 1 without any concerns and expect him to play well. He's going to struggle. He needs alot of work. He has tools (the dreaded "upside" word) but he's raw. His footwork needs significant improvement, he needs to improve his technique in handling edge rushers (and I question whether he simply has the ability to do so). Are these things that we can work on w/him? Sure and obviously the hope at this point is he gets better and becomes a LT.

There are alot of question marks though and he needs substantial improvement to become an upper echelon OL. I guess my point was when you pick an OL in the Top 10, he needs to be a guy who very few (if any) question marks.

I would assume next year he'll play on the inside. If thats all he ends up being, then it will really be a bad pick.
    Unless he greatly improves his footwork, he would likely be a RT or guard instead of LT. His pass blocking is really questionable. Very high ceiling though.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    I haven't read anything suggesting he's a project. McShay thought it was a great pick.
    If you view him as a LT, he's a project and risky pick. Very high upside but also lots of question marks.

If you view him as a guard, he's a great and safe pick. He's probably the best run blocker in this year draft.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    If you view him as a LT, he's a project and risky pick. Very high upside also lots of question marks.

If you view him as a guard, he's a great and safe pick. He's probably the best run blocker in this year draft.
    Agreed 100%. IMO you dont use the #9 pick to draft a guy who would be a good guard and "might" be a good tackle. Its wasted value.

NYYF Legend

Just curious, have you ever seen him play?

There will be Tight Ends available in rounds 2-4. The BPA decree decreases by the round.

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    He's a project in that he isnt ready. Its not like they can just slot him into the starting lineup in Week 1 without any concerns and expect him to play well. He's going to struggle. He needs alot of work. He has tools (the dreaded "upside" word) but he's raw. His footwork needs significant improvement, he needs to improve his technique in handling edge rushers (and I question whether he simply has the ability to do so). Are these things that we can work on w/him? Sure and obviously the hope at this point is he gets better and becomes a LT.

There are alot of question marks though and he needs substantial improvement to become an upper echelon OL. I guess my point was when you pick an OL in the Top 10, he needs to be a guy who very few (if any) question marks.

I would assume next year he'll play on the inside. If thats all he ends up being, then it will really be a bad pick.
    Yeah, you could be correct.

Within an hour after my celebration of the pick.....I read articles which indicated that he is a project that is not ready to simply step into the LT spot. I originally just assumed he was similar to the Iowa OL that was drafted by Washington, just a slight bit lower. Apparently the gap is bigger than I expected.

He was "an inconsistent pass protector at Miami"?! Sorry, Eli...

Flowers is a 21-year-old project. Yes, he could step in immediately in 2015 and help the run game as a starting guard or right tackle, but the reason he was worth taking with the No. 9 overall pick was his upside as a potential left tackle down the road.
    Whether that happens or not depends on....the ability of the Giants' coaching staff to even out the footwork and technique issues that made Flowers an inconsistent pass-protector at Miami. When you put it that way, it sounds like a risky pick for a team that has missed the playoffs three years in a row.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-gia...king-long-term

Agreed with those comments you pasted. He's a project. He can probably play the inside next year and be decent. But again, you dont draft guards at #9 and you dont draft projects w/RT or LT "upside" at #9. I mean if we picked this kid at #15 or lower, I'd have much less of an issue with it and probably would be ok with it. Not where we were though. Trae Waynes was there, Shelton was there, Gurley, Parker. All these guys have a much better chance at making an immediate impact and also of becoming good NFL players. Like you said, for a team thats missed the playoffs 3 years in a row, we needed to do better then taking a OL project at #9.

I mean....he's here now. Flaherty and the staff have their work cut out for them trying to get the upside out of him and turn him into AT LEAST a stud RT, if not a very good LT.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    Just curious, have you ever seen him play?

There will be Tight Ends available in rounds 2-4. The BPA decree decreases by the round.
    Meh, they were unhappy about drafting Beckham last year.

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    From that year's college season, I remembered Watkins, Evans, and Benjamin. I wasn't that familiar with OBJ. But I just told my friends to have faith, the Giants FO is pretty good with their drafting.

Years ago, I wanted the Giants to draft a defensive stud from Pitt, named Hugh Green. He came in 2nd in the Heisman voting. Instead, the Giants drafted Lawrence Taylor. I bellyached for short while....until training camp started. That's when I learned to give the benefit of the doubt to the Giants brass. And that includes Flowers.
    Last edited by melon; 05-01-15 at 07:38 PM.

NYYF Triple Crown

Well, I guess the GMen got Antrel Rolle's replacement. We'll see.

Landon Collins. U of Alabama.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Papa B. View Post
    Well, I guess the GMen got Antrel Rolle's replacement. We'll see.

Landon Collins. U of Alabama.
    Love it...first round talent.

As much as I disliked the Flowers pick, is how much I love trading up for Collins. Excellent pick. 1st round talent for sure and he is even someone that awhile back was mentioned as an option for us at #9. It was obvious how bad safety help was needed too.

Nice pick. OL and safety.

Now, lets a DL on the next pick.

NYYF Triple Crown

Owa Odighizuwa. 6-3, 267 lbs. DE from UCLA. 3rd round pick.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Papa B. View Post
    Owa Odighizuwa. 6-3, 267 lbs. DE from UCLA. 3rd round pick.
    Good luck pronouncing that one.

Scott Wright had him ranked as the 5th best DE, ahead of Nate Orchard and Mario Edwards.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Um.....I'm not a Giants fan and just expressed what I think about the player. Last year WR class was one of the all time best IMO and I didn't think Beckham was a bad pick.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think Flowers is going to be a bust. I just don't think that he could stick at LT from what I watched his game. He's likely a guard or RT. If he turns out to be a Pro Bowl guard, it still an excellent pick.

NYYF Triple Crown

Giants take Mykkele Thompson, Safety U of Texas in the 5th round. And Geremy Davis, WR from UConn in the 6th round.

NYYF Triple Crown

Here's a list of the GMen's UFA & Mini camp invites:

UDFAs expected to sign with the Giants:
    TE Matt LaCrosse, Illinois
    RB Akeem Hunt, Purdue
    LB Cole Farrand, Maryland
    S Justin Currie, Western Michigan
    OL Sean Donnelly, Tulane
    OL Jacob Ruby, Richmond
    Players invited to mini-camp for a tryout:
    OL Sukh Chungh, University of Calgary
    OL Sean McEwen, University of Calgary

NYYF Legend

I glad they signed a TE. I was hoping they would have drafted one. Reese is putting too much faith in our current group of tight ends.

I hope everyone voted for Gronk...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/feature/maddenvote

Quote Originally Posted by Panamaniac42 View Post
    I hope everyone voted for Gronk...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/feature/maddenvote
    I did a write-in for Greg Ellis.

Will Beatty out 5-6 months w/torn pectoral.

NYYF Triple Crown

On a quiet night of sports last night I happened to notice two pictures side-by-side. And I was wondering if anyone else noticed the resemblance:

Last edited by Cool Papa B.; 06-04-15 at 02:36 PM.
    [FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][B]“I would like to take the great Di Maggio fishing....They say his father was a fisherman. Maybe he was as poor as we are and would understand.”[/B]
    [/SIZE][SIZE=2]Ernest Hemingway
    “The Old Man and the Sea”[/SIZE][/FONT]

Reports are coming out that JPP severly injured his hand in a fireworks accident last night. Possibly to the point where he could have lost fingers or even his hand. Holy sh*t. Its all over Twitter and Bleacher Report broke the story. Waiting on ESPN to pick it up before I say its 100% legit, but wow.

Thread Information