+ Reply to Thread
    NYYF Legend

Can We Please Embed Tweets in ITL?

I know that over time several of us have raised the question of why we are unable to embed tweets in the Inside the Lines forum within an active thread but those requests can get lost and go unseen.

So, I'd like to make an official request to have the ability to embed tweets in the ITL Forum. Is there perhaps a specific reason that we're able to do that in each of the other forums but not ITL? If that's not the case, can a Mod work some magic so that we'll have that ability? Thanks.

NYYF Legend

Re: Can We Please Embed Tweets in ITL?

I was the one doing most of the raising of that question, so I'd like to officially second your request. Please?

NYYF Legend

Maybe if we bump this thread once in a while someone will finally notice? Please?

Living Life Outloud yankeeschic12324's Avatar

We notice. I just have no clue.

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Quote Originally Posted by yankeeschic12324 View Post
    We notice. I just have no clue.

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar

Until Jim F somehow arrives at this thread, then takes action, I would simply suggest the following:

Hyperlink + quote feature.

Or it could simply be limits in this forum's software. Are other discussion/chat websites able to embed tweets?
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post
    Until Jim F somehow arrives at this thread, then takes action, I would simply suggest the following:

Hyperlink + quote feature.

Or it could simply be limits in this forum's software. Are other discussion/chat websites able to embed tweets?
    Brad, this site is able to embed tweets in many of its forums, just not in ITL (and, I believe, some others). For instance, I can embed them here:

My workaround is to clip the tweet with Imgur's capture function, and post it as an image. But it's more work, and not as functional for the reader. He can't click on an included link or #hashtag, for example, or decide to follow the 'tweeter.'
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    Brad, this site is able to embed tweets in many of its forums, just not in ITL (and, I believe, some others). For instance, I can embed them here:

My workaround is to clip the tweet with Imgur's capture function, and post it as an image. But it's more work, and not as functional for the reader. He can't click on an included link or #hashtag, for example, or decide to follow the 'tweeter.'
    Is it Tim or Timothy? I know one was Ok, the other, you didn't like, so my apologies.

That doesn't look embedded. When I think embedded, it's like a picture or a youtube video, like there's something there to show that it's a tweet.

I personally think that the word "tweet" is pretty weird. I keep thinking of this little guy (and his clumsy pursuer, Sylvester):

RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

NYYF Legend

Is it Tim or Timothy? I know one was Ok, the other, you didn't like, so my apologies.

That doesn't look embedded. When I think embedded, it's like a picture or a youtube video, like there's something there to show that it's a tweet.
    Tim. Only my mother called me Timothy, and that only when she was drunk.

It's embedded because a) you can see it in tweet format and b) the links are live, just like on twitter.com. If you click "Follow", you will be following the tweeter--if you are signed in to twitter. What else do you want from a tweet?
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    Tim. Only my mother called me Timothy, and that only when she was drunk.

It's embedded because a) you can see it in tweet format and b) the links are live, just like on twitter.com. If you click "Follow", you will be following the tweeter--if you are signed in to twitter. What else do you want from a tweet?
    Ok, Tim.

So if people were allowed to embed tweets and follow the tweeters, just which accounts on that social media place are we referring to? The Yankees'? ESPN's? CBS Sports? I'm guessing that instead of linking news stories, they people here could link to tweets for ongoing discussions.

NYYF Legend

Ok, Tim.

So if people were allowed to embed tweets and follow the tweeters, just which accounts on that social media place are we referring to? The Yankees'? ESPN's? CBS Sports? I'm guessing that instead of linking news stories, they people here could link to tweets for ongoing discussions.
    First, we are allowed to embed tweets here but, for some unknown reason, not in the "Inside the Lines" forum. It works in all the others. It's become particularly problematic with the "Injury Discussion Thread" which this year was started in the "Inside the Lines" forum instead of in the "Player Performance Threads" forum where it's always been and where tweets are able to be embedded. Especially regarding breaking injury reports, Twitter has become the best and quickest source for information. It's much easier and more efficient to be able to embed a tweet than to have to link the Twitter page source and then copy the tweet text to be able to quote it here. Additionally, if the tweet has an embedded photo and/or link, it doesn't transfer over. You can copy and paste the photo separately but that is again another step.

As to the second part of your question, the forum wouldn't "follow the tweeters" as you described. Each individual who has an interest establishes his/her own Twitter account and follows whomever they wish. I've had a Twitter account for several years now and although I never tweet myself, I do find it an invaluable tool in keeping up with what's going on in the world in general and specifically within the baseball world. I follow the twitter accounts for a couple of local news outlets to stay informed about breaking local news, traffic and weather. For MLB and the Yankees I follow most of the Yankees' beat writers, some of the YES personalities (Curry, Marakovitz) a few national sports' news outlets, etc. As you start to follow twitter feeds in one topical area they sort of just find others when you see feeds that are re-tweeted by those you already follow.

Anyway, it would be very beneficial for forum members to be able to embed tweets in the only forum where we currently cannot!

NYYF Legend

Hey -tz, this got me to thinking: Why don't you start a new 2015 Injury Update Thread in the Player Performance Thread forum--it's always been your thread anyway --so we'll have the ability to embed tweets? The current Injury Discussion Thread in ITL would still be a valuable thread there for forumers to discuss the injuries. The discussion has, in prior years, taken away from the idea of the update thread anyway, which has always been just to give a quick report or update on an injured player with discussion carrying over to the player's individual PPT. I think it would be a good temporary solution to the problem of our inability to embed tweets. I'll gladly do it if you want me to, but the IUT was always your baby to begin with so you get first crack at it.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post
    Hey -tz, this got me to thinking: Why don't you start a new 2015 Injury Update Thread in the Player Performance Thread forum--it's always been your thread anyway --so we'll have the ability to embed tweets? The current Injury Discussion Thread in ITL would still be a valuable thread there for forumers to discuss the injuries. The discussion has, in prior years, taken away from the idea of the update thread anyway, which has always been just to give a quick report or update on an injured player with discussion carrying over to the player's individual PPT. I think it would be a good temporary solution to the problem of our inability to embed tweets. I'll gladly do it if you want me to, but the IUT was always your baby to begin with so you get first crack at it.
    Thanks ... I didn't see this post until after JDPNYY had started the Player Performance Forum thread. I'm glad someone did it, and that this vexation has been solved!

NYYF Legend

I'm once again bumping this request for the ability to embed tweets in ITL. I've been scanning my Twitter feed and there are several interesting tweets that I would have liked to embed in the 2015 Season Discussion Thread but can't because of the restriction. Why is this such a problem? If there's a legitimate reason why we can't, please let us know but it's positively ridiculous that we can embed tweets in every other forum, but not in ITL.

Thread Information