+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 18 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast
    Designed to Win BroadwayBomber55's Avatar

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Football/Soccer Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BRenninger View Post
    Croatia knocked the mighty Russian team out.
    Hellova a match. One of the best of the WC so far.
    I say one of top 3 matches of the 2018 FIFA World Cup at the moment.
    "Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

The semifinal matchups

France v. Belgium
    Croatia v. England

I'm partial to Croatia but I don't know how well they will be physically up for England. They seem to have left it all on the field this time. Keeper has a hamstring problem. Hope they can recover.
    All the semi-finals should be great matches.
    The presidency doesn't change who you are. It reveals who you are. First Lady Michelle Obama (2015)

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55 View Post
    The semifinal matchups

France v. Belgium
    Croatia v. England

Modric was just unreal yesterday. I had 4 future bets before the tourney, 3 are alive
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

BB55's Picks - 2018 FIFA World Cup

Knockout Stage

Semifinals

France over Belgium
    England over Croatia

I'm partial to Croatia but I don't know how well they will be physically up for England. They seem to have left it all on the field this time. Keeper has a hamstring problem. Hope they can recover.
    All the semi-finals should be great matches.
    Both semifinal clashes should be very good.

France maybe the favorite against Belgium, but the longer Les Bleus keeps Roberto Martinez's Red Devils around, the better the chances Romelu Lukaku and company have against them.

Vincent Kompany and the Belgian defense need to keep the likes of Kylian Mbappe, Paul Pogba and Antoine Griezmann at bay.

As for Croatia vs. England, England should be favored and they will test Croatia on set pieces, but if this goes to a penalty shootout, it's anything goes.

Farewell to some of the legends as the 2018 FIFA World Cup was their last tournament in international association football/soccer.
    https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/visual...s-of-the-game/

2018 FIFA World Cup

Knockout Stage

Semifinals

Fixtures: July 10, 2018

From FIFA.com

Didier Deschamps knows how to win FIFA World Cups. He was one of the key members of the 1998 FIFA World Cup winning squad when France hosted the tournament.

Now, Deschamps is manager of Les Bleus as they're gunning for their second ever FIFA World Cup title in Russia 2018.

But to reach the grand finale on Sunday, Les Bleus has to overcome Roberto Martinez's Belgium, who are coming off their biggest scalp in their history as they bounced Neymar and five-time FIFA World Cup champions Brazil in the Quarterfinals.

In Mexico 1986, the Red Devils finished fourth in their best FIFA World Cup finish ever.

Now, Belgium wants to take their Russia 2018 run one step further with a place in the final inside Moscow's Luzhniki Stadium.

The first spot in the final is up for grabs.

Krestovsky Stadium, Saint Petersburg
    21:00 France v. Belgium
    Referee: Andres Cunha (URU)

All 12 boys and coach rescued from Thailand cave; invited to the FIFA World Cup Final, but declined
    https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/wor...ely-to-attend/

NYYF Legend

Vi va la france?

1-0 over Belgium
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

That ref was a disgrace. Clearly pro-France. Hazard was getting mauled, yet nothing was called. The slightest touch would get called for the French though. Thankfully, he won't ref the final.

2018 FIFA World Cup

Knockout Stage

Semifinals

FT Scores: July 10, 2018

From FIFA.com

20 years ago, Didier Deschamps was one of many key players who led France to the 1998 FIFA World Cup title on home soil.

20 years later, Deschamps led France to the final of the 2018 FIFA World Cup after edging 1986 FIFA World Cup Fourth Place finishers Belgium 1-0 inside Saint Petersburg's Krestovsky Stadium.

The only goal of the match came in the 51st minute.

Atletico Madrid livewire forward Antoine Griezmann had his second assist of the tournament after whipping in a corner and FC Barcelona center-back Samuel Umtiti headed in the delivery for his goal of the tournament.

Umtiti and the French defense also held Manchester City winger Kevin De Bruyne, Chelsea and Belgian captain playmaker Eden Hazard and Manchester United striker Romelu Lukaku at bay.

Tottenham Hotspur and French captain goalkeeper Hugo Lloris has his third clean sheet of the tournament.

Les Bleus will make their third FIFA World Cup Grand Final appearance, the third most among UEFA members. Only Germany with eight and Italy with six have more.

France will take on the winner of England-Croatia inside Moscow's Luzhniki Stadium on Sunday.

As for the Red Devils, Roberto Martinez will stay in Saint Petersburg for the Third Place match against the loser of England-Croatia on Saturday.

France 1:0 (0:0) Belgium
    BB55's Man of the Match: Samuel Umtiti, France

2018 FIFA World Cup

Knockout Stage

Semifinals

Fixtures: July 11, 2018

From FIFA.com

The last time England was inside Moscow's Luzhniki Stadium, it was in a UEFA Euro 2008 qualifier on October 17, 2017.

Wayne Rooney scored the opening goal in the 29th minute, but a second-half brace from Roman Pavlyuchenko gave Russia a 2-1 victory and dealt a heavy blow for the Three Lions.

The final nails were in their UEFA Euro 2008 qualifying and Steve McClaren's coffins when England lost 3-2 to Croatia inside Wembley Stadium as Croatia punched their ticket to Austria and Switzerland.

However, England swept Croatia in both qualifiers for the 2010 FIFA World Cup outscoring their foes, 9-2.

Inside Luzhniki Stadium, both England and Croatia are playing for much higher stakes: a place in the grand finale against France on Sunday while the loser plays for Third Place.

Tottenham Hotspur and English captain striker Harry Kane and Real Madrid and Croatian captain midfielder Luka Modric are two players in line for the Golden Ball of the tournament.

If England wins, it will be their first top two finish in a major tournament since winning it all on home soil in 1966.

If Croatia wins, it will be their first top two finish in a major tournament ever.

Something's gotta give on Wednesday.

Luzhniki Stadium, Moscow
    21:00 Croatia v. England
    Referee: Cuneyt Cakir (TUR)

Quote Originally Posted by albo4lyfe View Post
    That ref was a disgrace. Clearly pro-France. Hazard was getting mauled, yet nothing was called. The slightest touch would get called for the French though. Thankfully, he won't ref the final.
    I only saw the last 30 min plus stoppage. I saw hazard getting tackled hard but they looked clean to me. Though French defenders made smart challeneges
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    I only saw the last 30 min plus stoppage. I saw hazard getting tackled hard but they looked clean to me. Though French defenders made smart challeneges
    Clean? Absolutely not. Blatant fouls, just not according to the ref who urged them to play on. Unbelievable. Hernandez tackled Hazard from the behind to stop the counter...just a fouled called. Hazard just about nicks Matuidi to stop the counter...yellow card. C'mun!

Like I said, I'm just thankful that whoever that ref was won't ref the final. It better be Kuipers in the final.

Clean? Absolutely not. Blatant fouls, just not according to the ref who urged them to play on. Unbelievable. Hernandez tackled Hazard from the behind to stop the counter...just a fouled called. Hazard just about nicks Matuidi to stop the counter...yellow card. C'mun!

Like I said, I'm just thankful that whoever that ref was won't ref the final. It better be Kuipers in the final.
    I thought your beef was more with challenges that were werenít called has fouls

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    I thought your beef was more with challenges that were werenít called has fouls
    My beef was with the ref who was clearly pro-France. The calls he made and didn't make benefitted France and hurt Belgium. Can't have refs like him deciding games on the biggest tournament in the world. I'm just glad the final won't be tainted by him.

Couldn't be happier for Croatia.
    The presidency doesn't change who you are. It reveals who you are. First Lady Michelle Obama (2015)

Couldn't be happier for Croatia.
    Neither could I
    Attached Images

That was the best game so far; will probably be much better than the final. Croatia played its heart out. What a monster goal by Perisic.

France has a massive advantage in the final. Croatia is just about spent. Three straight games of extra time is killer.

2018 FIFA World Cup

Knockout Stage

Semifinals

FT Scores: July 11, 2018

From FIFA.com

Croatia topped their best FIFA World Cup finish ever.

The Vatreni did one better than David Suker's Croatia in France 1998 when they finished third as they book their first ever major tournament final against France on Sunday.

Real Madrid and Croatian captain midfielder Luka Modric and company outlasted 1966 FIFA World Cup champions England 2-1 after extra time to play inside Moscow's Luzhniki Stadium again in the grand final.

Croatia is the 13th different nation to appear in a FIFA World Cup Final.

But the Three Lions drew first blood in the fifth minute as Tottenham Hotspur right back Kieran Trippier struck home a free kick to give England a 1-0 lead.

But Gareth Southgate and England felt deja vu all over again as they failed to find the second goal just like in the UEFA Euro 1996 semifinals against Germany.

Once Croatia hung around, England were on their heels.

And Croatia made it 1-1 in the 68th minute as Atletico Madrid right back Sime Vrsaljko whipped in a diagonal cross into the box that saw Manchester City central defender Kyle Walker going down and mistimed his challenge and Inter Milan forward Ivan Perisic sticked out his left boot over Walker's head and poked in the equalizer. It is Perisic's third goal of the tournament.

The game headed into extra time.

And Croatia took their first lead in the contest as Perisic found Inter Milan forward Mario Mandzukic who scored his third goal of the tournament to give his side a 2-1 lead in the 109th minute in the first half of extra time.

Everton goalkeeper Jordan Pickford kept England in the match with five saves.

England pressed for their equalizer to make it 2-2, but they had to do it for most of the second half of extra time with 10 men as Leicester City defender Harry Maguire left the game with an injury and they used up all four of their substitutions.

Croatia hang on for the victory as they enter the final against France with three knockout stage victories in extra time and penalties.

For England, their heartbreaking defeat landed a spot in the Third Place game against Belgium on Saturday inside Saint Petersburg's Krestovsky Stadium.

Croatia 2:1 (0:1) a.e.t. England
    BB55's Man of the Match: Ivan Perisic, Croatia

That was the best game so far; will probably be much better than the final. Croatia played its heart out. What a monster goal by Perisic.

France has a massive advantage in the final. Croatia is just about spent. Three straight games of extra time is killer.
    Not only heart, but grit and guts from Croatia.

I bet Kyle Walker is going to have nightmares watching that equalizer. If he could've stand up instead of going down for that challenge on Ivan Perisic, that goal wouldn't happen.

France needs to learn from their mistakes in the UEFA Euro 2016 final against Portugal: Strike Hard, Strike Fast and Strike Often.

Because if Les Bleus let Croatia hang around, Croatia could outlast their opponents again.

The third-place match between Belgium and England should be more exciting than the Final between France and Croatia in my opinion.

Why? Belgium and England will swing for the fences and it should be a high-scoring clash. Harry Kane and Romelu Lukaku are separated by two goals for the golden boot. Both England and Belgium also played all 20 outfield players and have two goalkeepers having yet to play a match.

The final should be a feeling out chess match for the first 15-20 minutes and then both teams are going to gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55 View Post
    The third-place match between Belgium and England should be more exciting than the Final between France and Croatia in my opinion.

Why? Belgium and England will swing for the fences and it should be a high-scoring clash. Harry Kane and Romelu Lukaku are separated by two goals for the golden boot. Both England and Belgium also played all 20 outfield players and have two goalkeepers having yet to play a match.

The final should be a feeling out chess match for the first 15-20 minutes and then both teams are going to gamble.
    Rematch of the group stage game, however, both teams will be starting the regulars for this one. And, agreed, they will go all out; haven't got much to lose now.

Thread Information