+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

2014 New York Jets Thread

Didn't see the game yesterday (worked until 7:00), but the highlights looked sloppy.

Thoughts?

Re: 2014 New York Jets Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees View Post
    Didn't see the game yesterday (worked until 7:00), but the highlights looked sloppy.

Thoughts?
    Definitely sloppyish, but they looked like a team with serious potential if they can put it together. Their main issue yesterday was constant penalties. They pretty much totally dominated all phases of the game, far more than the score would indicate. The running game looked terrific, Geno had a pretty solid game (his INT was more a great play by Woodson than a big mistake on his part), and the defense looked impressive. Very strong tackling. Of course, it was against the Raiders, so everything needs to be taken with a grain of salt. It was basically a matter of the Jets' best efforts to blow the game being outdone by the Raiders' pure suckiness. I think we'll know a lot more after next week.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Yeah, don't know what to make of that game.

Statistically, utter domination and the stats are misleading. It wasn't as close as they made it seemed.

Reality is a 5 pt win at home against a bottom feeder team.

Rewatching the game, I do have to say I like the zip on Geno's passes.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    Yeah, don't know what to make of that game.

Statistically, utter domination and the stats are misleading. It wasn't as close as they made it seemed.

Reality is a 5 pt win at home against a bottom feeder team.
    A win is a win. They were never really in danger of losing. Granted the Raiders probably aren't the best measuring stick but it sure as hell beats starting out 0-1 to a team you are supposed to handle.

Well, you can't say they don't find creative ways to lose. No one can take that away from them.

After that false start that Rodgers was OBVIOUSLY trying to goad us offsides and got a bad call to his favor, he completely owned us.

After that horrible playcall by Morningweig and subsequent horrible pass by Geno at the end of the half......he turned into mush.

Milliner and Pryor look horrid.

And Marty decided to do something that might make us forget his crappy play calling for the game.

Such a stomach punch......I'm already looking towards next years draft.

And Marty decided to do something that might make us forget his crappy play calling for the game.

Such a stomach punch......I'm already looking towards next years draft.
    It's certainly a gutpunch of a game for any number of reasons, but in the end it's a loss to the Packers on the road, which I think we were probably all expecting anyway at 4:24 this afternoon. Would have been nice to get an unexpected one there, but hopefully they can bounce back.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    A win is a win. They were never really in danger of losing. Granted the Raiders probably aren't the best measuring stick but it sure as hell beats starting out 0-1 to a team you are supposed to handle.
    If your supposed to handle them, then it doesn't look well for the team when they don't. If this was a playoff contender, then I'll buy the a win is a win theorem. Considering we are still trying to build towards that, I'd prefer to see the team play good as a whole and lose v. escaping by one of the worst teams in the NFL and winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    It's certainly a gutpunch of a game for any number of reasons, but in the end it's a loss to the Packers on the road, which I think we were probably all expecting anyway at 4:24 this afternoon. Would have been nice to get an unexpected one there, but hopefully they can bounce back.
    Fair point. However, the way we lost is very telling, IMO.

I suppose crazier things have happened, but the QB is generally the spark plug to lead or carry teams, and ours doesn't spark much confidence.

Fair point. However, the way we lost is very telling, IMO.

I suppose crazier things have happened, but the QB is generally the spark plug to lead or carry teams, and ours doesn't spark much confidence.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they're great or anything. I think they're maybe a bubble playoff contender if things go well, but no more than that. I was just saying they're 1-1, which is where any realistic expectation probably would have had them. It just hurts more because they blew a big lead and also got very creative in finding a way to blow it at the end, and you know they could have easily been 2-0.

If they can get through their first seven games at 3-4 or better, I like how the rest of their schedule shapes up for them. I'd be surprised if they beat Denver or won @ New England, but I think all of the other six are very winnable games, too, so it's possible they could be significantly better than that. I think Decker's injury status is critical, too. If Wilkerson gets suspended that's not going to help either.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they're great or anything. I think they're maybe a bubble playoff contender if things go well, but no more than that. I was just saying they're 1-1, which is where any realistic expectation probably would have had them. It just hurts more because they blew a big lead and also got very creative in finding a way to blow it at the end, and you know they could have easily been 2-0.

If they can get through their first seven games at 3-4 or better, I like how the rest of their schedule shapes up for them. I'd be surprised if they beat Denver or won @ New England, but I think all of the other six are very winnable games, too, so it's possible they could be significantly better than that. I think Decker's injury status is critical, too. If Wilkerson gets suspended that's not going to help either.
    The way Milliner and Geno played makes me think 6 wins is an optimistic view. Those 2 were going to need to show marked improvement from last year for us to be a bubble team.

They failed miserably today.

The way Milliner and Geno played makes me think 6 wins is an optimistic view. Those 2 were going to need to show marked improvement from last year for us to be a bubble team.

They failed miserably today.
    The secondary as a whole definitely looks like it might be the team's Achilles Heel. I'm usually as pessimistic as anyone when it comes to this team, but I'd be very surprised if they won under 6 games this year, assuming everyone stays healthy.

NYYF Legend

Speechless ................you guys find the strangest ways to lose a game.........

Quote Originally Posted by montrealer View Post
    Speechless ................you guys find the strangest ways to lose a game.........
    We do, but this was still a refs error.

I don't understand how refs are known to pick up flags, consult with each other, etc and reverse calls........and yet whether Marty or Richardson called it, they couldn't reverse the TO given.

We do, but this was still a refs error.

I don't understand how refs are known to pick up flags, consult with each other, etc and reverse calls........and yet whether Marty or Richardson called it, they couldn't reverse the TO given.
    Because once he granted the timeout it was a dead ball and the play never happened, whether or not most people on the field saw him calling it or heard the whistle. The entire play from snap to throw to catch happened after the play was already dead, so you can't reverse it. I mean, you could have given the Jets their timeout back, I suppose, but you couldn't let the touchdown stand. Also, since they were granted a timeout, I'm not sure giving them their timeout back was appropriate, either.

Much as I'd like to, I don't blame this one on the refs at all. In fact, I don't necessarily think it was anyone's "fault." If anything, if the offensive coordinator wanted a timeout based on how something looked on 4th and 4, they were probably fortunate it was given to them without Rex calling it. If the pass had been incomplete they would have gotten another try, too. I think a weird thing happened to match up with a good play and the noise and game circumstances just so happened to result in the play seeming to happen. I think it's just a bad situation all around, but I don't blame Marty for trying to get Rex's attention to call timeout if he didn't like how things looked, I don't blame Richardson for trying to help if he saw Marty desperately trying to call timeout, and I can't blame the ref for calling timeout when he heard someone say timeout from where Ryan was standing as the play clock ran down.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

NYYF Legend

lots of action in here

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    lots of action in here
    Gang Green is alive and well with death threats and bullying...........

NYYF Legend

So sad there's no one here so I can gloat!!

Never been so embarrassed to be a Jets fan.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Fan View Post
    So sad there's no one here so I can gloat!!
    Do you gloat when you beat a three year old at basketball?

NYYF Legend

Do you gloat when you beat a three year old at basketball?
    Nah...... not I!

NYYF Legend

J
    E
    T
    S
    suck !
    suck !
    suck !

NYYF Legend

Waste a very good defense.

At what point do the Jets tank to try and be in a position to draft Mariota? They desperately a true franchise QB.

Thread Information