+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Re: 2014 New York Jets Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I'm not sure how the Steelers more or less avoid the classless tag they so clearly deserve.
    Grittiness and toughness trump classless in football team label rocks-paper-scissors.

NYYF Legend

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Panamaniac42 View Post
    I didn't know Schiano was coaching the Steeler's D. Good for Mangold.

Lol.......I love Mangold even more after that.

Really don't understand all the Izdik hate.

Or for that matter, the Ryan hate, but at least with him it's probably best that he and the team get fresh starts.

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post

Or for that matter, the Ryan hate, but at least with him it's probably best that he and the team get fresh starts.
    When a team is awful, the GM/Coach are going to get the hate/blame, whether it's warranted or not.

NYYF Triple Crown

Not a Jets fan, but being $20mil under the cap and not going after a CB when there was some on the market at the time and your team desperately needing one might be one of the reasons for the hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Papa B. View Post
    Not a Jets fan, but being $20mil under the cap and not going after a CB when there was some on the market at the time and your team desperately needing one might be one of the reasons for the hate.
    Their number one target was Davis.....they almost got him, but lost.

They signed Patterson only for him to crazy.....hard to foresee.

I'd much rather that a GM makes calculated moves rather than make panic moves and overspend on someone overrated because they missed out.

And although they swung and missed badly with their corners, they have the 17th best pass defense without being with what they viewed as their number 1 corner for majority of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    When a team is awful, the GM/Coach are going to get the hate/blame, whether it's warranted or not.
    Fair enough. Although it must be said that when you say the team is awful, by team you mean Geno.

Evidently the Jets/Bills game in Detroit is already sold out.

I understand the tickets were free, but I still didn't see that coming at all.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    Evidently the Jets/Bills game in Detroit is already sold out.

I understand the tickets were free, but I still didn't see that coming at all.
    Initially I didn't understand why they chose Detriot being that Cleveland and Pittsburgh are closer to Buffalo. Or maybe even the Carrier Dome which is closer. I had no idea that you could drive to Detriot from Buffalo in 4 1/2 hours via Canada. So I am sure some fans in Western NY are making the trek plus some Canadian fans who tend to root for the Bills.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

I heard that Detroit radio is trying to get everyone to root for the Jets, since the Bills beat the Lions earlier this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    Initially I didn't understand why they chose Detriot being that Cleveland and Pittsburgh are closer to Buffalo. Or maybe even the Carrier Dome which is closer. I had no idea that you could drive to Detriot from Buffalo in 4 1/2 hours via Canada. So I am sure some fans in Western NY are making the trek plus some Canadian fans who tend to root for the Bills.
    I'm not sure how much proximity to Buffalo mattered in the end. I'm not sure, but I can't imagine many in Buffalo were able to get out to go to a game. I'm still surprised they were able to fill the stadium this much, even with admission being free. The Upper Deck looks pretty empty, though, at least in the end zones.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    I heard that Detroit radio is trying to get everyone to root for the Jets, since the Bills beat the Lions earlier this year.
    Not because the Bills beat the Lions per se but because the DC for the Bills is the former Lions head coach who left Detroit under hostile circumstances, and when the Bills beat the Lions in Detroit this year he had his players carry him off the field on their shoulders as a sort of "F-U" gesture to Detroit.

Is Geno, the worst QB in the history of football?

Certainly one of the worst QBs in Jets history. Sad.

Is Geno, the worst QB in the history of football?

Certainly one of the worst QBs in Jets history. Sad.
    He played pretty respectably yesterday. One of his better games for sure, which isn't saying much, but still, if he played like that every game they probably wouldn't have as much of an issue.

NYYF Legend

Why didn't the Jets go for two once they went up 9-8? I'm thinking through the scenarios and can't see the downside.

Quote Originally Posted by RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees View Post
    Why didn't the Jets go for two once they went up 9-8? I'm thinking through the scenarios and can't see the downside.
    That early in the game, there are still a ton of scenarios where not having that one point could come back to bite you. For instance, you don't convert, stay up 9-8, if they score a touchdown and go for and get two, you're down a touchdown rather than two field goals. If they score a touchdown and kick the extra point, a second field goal would tie it instead of winning it, etc. Additionally, if you're up 2, rather than 1, and score a touchdown, kicking an extra point puts you up 2 scores. That early in the game I think it's fine to kick the extra point there. I don't think the benefit of being up 3 vs. up 2 that early would justify the risk of not converting on the two point conversion, which is generally about a 50/50 proposition (probably lower for the Jets.)

NYYF Legend

Man, it would be cool if one day the Jets had a tall receiver for the red zone (like Plaxico that one year, but not as old and felonius). Thats 2 catchable TDs that Kerley doesn't bring in because he's 1) short and 2) very average

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    Man, it would be cool if one day the Jets had a tall receiver for the red zone (like Plaxico that one year, but not as old and felonius).
    I remember yelling for Kelvin Benjamin when the Jets were on the clock. And I echo your thoughts about hoping for an elite, tall WR.

Woody Johnson is close to hiring Charlie Casserly as a consultant? If so, that could be the end of Idzik.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    Woody Johnson is close to hiring Charlie Casserly as a consultant? If so, that could be the end of Idzik.
    Seems to me Johnson is on an endless search to hire someone to compensate for his total lack of NFL team administrative skills.

He should just cut to the chase and step down as chairman & CEO. Nothing will improve until that happens

Ron Wolf rumored to being added as a consultant, too?

Can't believe last time Woody hired Korn Ferry (a business executive search firm) to find Idzik. This time, he's going to have experienced ex-GM's handle his search.

The Jets have fired both GM John Idzik and head coach Rex Ryan according to multiple reports.

Is it me or does it seem like the Jets are always in a state of rebuilding?

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/12/...an-john-idzik/
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Some people might consider Johnson callous for these firings, but Ryan never seemed to gain a foothold on the coaching position. As for Idzik, he barely got his feet wet. I don't think it will be hard to fill Ryan's shoes, as there will be many qualified coaches trying to get their foot in the door.

Maybe they should hire a personnel guy as a GM, and not another cap guy. And maybe a head coach who understands its not 1985 anymore and offense has evolved.

Thread Information