+ Reply to Thread
Page 125 of 153 FirstFirst ... 25 75 115 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 135 ... LastLast
Results 3,101 to 3,125 of 3801

Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 3.0)

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    It was mediocre, but made worse by the fact I found it repugnant to be watching dumbass Patriot fans (and almost certainly summer-time Red Sox fans). Who else would let their family burn while buying beer ?

Afflack got a lot of praise for his acting, but really, how much talent does it take to play a leaden, slow-witted drunk? It's like Kevin Costner getting praise for playing a clueless dufus.

I really enjoyed Hell or High Water, and put it just ahead of Arrival, which I also liked a lot. Jackie was meh as a film, although it had some good points. It was still better than Manchester. I did not see Moonlight or Hacksaw. because I didn't think I'd like them.
    Jackie wasn't nominated but Hidden Fences was.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

(caution, language)

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball - Evil Empire

“Losers look stuff up while the rest of us are out carpin’ all them diems”

NYYF Legend

Saw Get Out last night. Very well made, good thriller. I was able to call a few things from early on, but still very entertained.

Suspended

I started watching 'Li'l Quinquin' (French) last night on NetFlix. I have yet to finish it because its over 3 and a half hours. However, it's extremely entertaining, funny, and very different.

NYYF Legend

I watched the Oscar winner for Best Foreign Film The Salesman (Forushande) with my oldest son today. (GF doesn't do subtitles). This is a very good film--just as good as A Separation, his previous Oscar winner. It is probably more polished. Asghar Farhadi is a superior filmmaker. You can see the planning and composition on every single shot. The man does most of his editing before the camera rolls. I especially like how he highlights little pieces of ordinary life that are the same whether you live in Tehran, São Paulo or Anywhere USA. It made the whole film that much more real. At the same time, he had a lot to say about the complicated (for lack of a better word) role of women in modern Iranian society.

In some ways, there is a similarity in theme to Manchester by the Sea. Both are films about ordinary people and what happens when a traumatic event changes their lives. What struck me was how much more real these Iranians seemed to me than the folks in Manchester and how much more I cared about what happened to them. For the second time, Farhadi deserved his Oscar. Too bad Trump's Muslim-banning led him to refuse to come pick it up, but I applaud him for his stance. See this film if you do subtitles.

I've lined up all but one of the other Best Foreign Film nominees. Looking forward to seeing them.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

I just saw Searstar.. I can't believe this!
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Saw Get Out last night. Very well made, good thriller. I was able to call a few things from early on, but still very entertained.
    I read good things about that. It's on my list.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

I watched 13th on Netflix this weekend and now I'm angry at the world yet again.

Prison industrial complex is pretty disgusting.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    I watched 13th on Netflix this weekend and now I'm angry at the world yet again.

Prison industrial complex is pretty disgusting.
    So let's make it worse and throw some pot smokers there too! Ruin more lives!
    SJW - bad attempt at insulting people that care about other's rights and not just their own.

LOGAN was a game changer

Quote Originally Posted by BxBomber44 View Post
    LOGAN was a game changer
    I've read it's better than Dark Knight.

This isn't old enough for the "Classic" thread, but over the weekend I watched Cop Land again, first time I've seen it since it was new. Very underrated movie - not great, but pretty good, and with an all-star cast. It's unfortunate that that cast is headed by Stallone, but he's not bad, and the rest - Keitel, DeNiro, Liotta, Annabella Sciorra, Michael Rapaport, and various and sundry others - are as solid as you'd expect. Oh, and Janeane Garofalo, since it was 1997 and they were required by law to include her in the cast.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    This isn't old enough for the "Classic" thread, but over the weekend I watched Cop Land again, first time I've seen it since it was new. Very underrated movie - not great, but pretty good, and with an all-star cast. It's unfortunate that that cast is headed by Stallone, but he's not bad, and the rest - Keitel, DeNiro, Liotta, Annabella Sciorra, Michael Rapaport, and various and sundry others - are as solid as you'd expect. Oh, and Janeane Garofalo, since it was 1997 and they were required by law to include her in the cast.
    I rewatched it a few years ago and it held up pretty good. I think it was a pet project for Stallone and there was a lot of talk about how he got fat for the role.

Quote Originally Posted by BxBomber44 View Post
    LOGAN was a game changer

Yeah, that was a good movie.

Not that I minded, and I know these movies are violent, but this one felt off the charts in that context.
    Hideki Matsui is capable of anything

I'm hearing awesome reviews about Logan from everyone. I'm pretty excited to see it. Most likely going to be a blind purchase when it hits blu ray.

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    Not that I minded, and I know these movies are violent, but this one felt off the charts in that context.
    you say that as if it's a negative!

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    Yeah, that was a good movie.

Did you miss the R rating on your way in or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Gregorius Chant View Post
    Did you miss the R rating on your way in or something?
    Never looked at the ratings, reviews, or anything.

Went on a whim after a Yankees ST game.
    Hideki Matsui is capable of anything

NYYF Legend

Speaking of ratings, why are they still dicking around with the rating for Life?

Went to see Lego Batman movie yesterday with the family. It was really fun and silly. I think I like the original Lego movie better but that was mainly because I had zero expectations and it was legitimately a good movie.

My one gripe with this one is they didn't have it tied in to the original film at all. I loved the twist with that one how their entire world was just Will Ferrell's basement play set. This movie made it out like they were all really cognizant Legos with souls

Oh and it was awesome how Billy Dee Williams was Two Face.

This movie made it out like they were all really cognizant Legos with souls[/spoiler]

Aren't we all?
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Kong Skull Island was mostly boring. FX was amazing though.

Logan is waaaaaaay overrated. It's a good movie but critics are losing their ever loving sh*t for no reason. Everything with the kids at the end sucked hard.

Justice League trailer:

The Flash looks cool but everything else is just ugh. I'm not a huge DC guy, but what the f*ck is even the point of Cyborg? "I know, let's create Iron Man but the suit will be...on the INSIDE of his body!"*

*ZERO idea if Cyborg predates Iron Man. Doesn't matter cause Marvel still beat 'em to the movie market.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregorius Chant View Post
    Justice League trailer:

The Flash looks cool but everything else is just ugh. I'm not a huge DC guy, but what the f*ck is even the point of Cyborg? "I know, let's create Iron Man but the suit will be...on the INSIDE of his body!"*

*ZERO idea if Cyborg predates Iron Man. Doesn't matter cause Marvel still beat 'em to the movie market.
    Yeah, it's a shame they half assed this whole connected universe. They saw how much Marvel was making and didn't want to put the effort in for a 5 year plan to build up to something like this. So instead of having every person get their own movie first they shoehorned them into BvS and now will shoehorn them in to this.

I will give the trailer editors credit for not showing or even hinting at Superman's return because we all know Cavill is in this. I'm sure the 2nd trailer will have something though, just like how BvS trailer ruined Doomsday.

Yeah, it's a shame they half assed this whole connected universe. They saw how much Marvel was making and didn't want to put the effort in for a 5 year plan to build up to something like this. So instead of having every person get their own movie first they shoehorned them into BvS and now will shoehorn them in to this.

I will give the trailer editors credit for not showing or even hinting at Superman's return because we all know Cavill is in this. I'm sure the 2nd trailer will have something though, just like how BvS trailer ruined Doomsday.
    They half assed it with Snyder. He's clearly the wrong guy for this material. They didn't need to necessarily follow the Marvel model of building out a movie a year until they got to Justice League. They keep hiring guys who don't grasp the material, like Snyder and Ayer. I actually like DC's approach to the philosophy - hire real filmmakers to make MOVIES, unlike Marvel which just cranks out TV episodes blown up for the screen. Again though, they seem to be hiring the wrong guys.

And you're nice to even use spoiler tags there but there are tribes living in caves on the other side of the world that know the ending to BvS was of course BS.

NYYF Legend

I just want to comment that the current crop of films in theaters this past weekend was as weak as I can remember. Just nothing I thought the GF and I would enjoy. (We don't do comedies, horror, cartoons, or comic book stuff. The last I will watch with youngest son, probably streaming.) There wasn't even something I would want to watch when it becomes available to stream. Pitiful.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Thread Information