+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 125 1 2 3 4 11 51 101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 3121
  1. #1
    Waiting for 2018 Big_E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

    The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 3.0)

    Google Chrome is blocking the "The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)" thread to me:



    where I can't view or reply to the thread anymore. In case anyone else has that problem I thought maybe we should start a new thread here... Version 3.0
    Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's
    2016 NYYFans.com Fantasy Baseball League Champjons

  2. #2
    NYYF Legend

    JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Still under the unfinished breezeway

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 3.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    Google Chrome is blocking the "The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)" thread to me:



    where I can't view or reply to the thread anymore. In case anyone else has that problem I thought maybe we should start a new thread here... Version 3.0
    I got the same warning when going to the last page of the thread. No warning when trying to go to the first page of the thread. Someone posted a bad thing.
    That's our second Arby's in town. Some say it's better, the fries are curlier, though I wouldn't know. I'm loyal to the original.

  3. #3
    Chapecó, que tristeza theDurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Basking Ridge, NJ

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 3.0)

    Trusting in my malware prophylactic measures, I investigated.

    The suspect item is RhodyYanksFan's Wolverine image:

    Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    I watched "The Wolverine" on HBO last night. It was a fun movie, 100x better than the XMen Origins abomination, but it could have been so much better. This was a movie that really was dragged down by the studio insisting a PG13 rating. When you have Wolverine fighting ninjas and truly going animalistic on them it should have been much more brutal and graphic. There was virtually no blood. If they wanted to make a samurai / kung fu movie they should have really gone for it and mimicked the Japanese movies they were going for, kind of like what Tarantino did with Kill Bill. Maybe the unrated cut that was released on bluray is like that.

    I'm totally straight but god damn is Hugh Jackman in good shape. Look at the difference between XMen 1 and this movie.

    [IMGREM]http://geekologie.com/2014/03/27/wolverine-then-vs-now.jpg[/IMGREM]
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

  4. #4
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    Trusting in my malware prophylactic measures, I investigated.

    The suspect item is RhodyYanksFan's Wolverine image:
    Thanks for reposting it, Durk.

  5. #5
    Chapecó, que tristeza theDurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Basking Ridge, NJ

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 3.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Thanks for reposting it, Durk.
    Sorry, I fixed it 10 seconds later. I thought the link would not operate within my text quote, but that was wrong. You were a little quick on the trigger to jump on me. Plus, it's a .jpg and it really won't hurt anybody...but my intent was to display the link address (which I bolded), not the image.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

  6. #6

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 3.0)

    In honor of the new thread, I will report that I watched Colors last night. Penn and Duvall are fine, but the rest of the movie seems dated. Gave it 6/10 on IMDB.
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

  7. #7
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    Sorry, I fixed it 10 seconds later. I thought the link would not operate within my text quote, but that was wrong. You were a little quick on the trigger to jump on me. Plus, it's a .jpg and it really won't hurt anybody.
    Glad I was quick enough to catch it.

  8. #8
    Chapecó, que tristeza theDurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Basking Ridge, NJ

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 3.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Glad I was quick enough to catch it.
    I owe you one.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

  9. #9
    Not fooling anyone. Soriambi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 3.0)

    So if we saw that image should we be worried?
    -Kevin

    "My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan


    "I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

    RIP, Pete.

  10. #10
    Chapecó, que tristeza theDurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Basking Ridge, NJ

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 3.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    So if we saw that image should we be worried?
    No. Google is blocking the geekologie.com site as a whole for its association with reports of malware infection, not that individual .jpg on the site. As far as I know, a malware infection requires you to click on an executable command, and a .jpg file does not qualify.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

  11. #11
    Not fooling anyone. Soriambi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 3.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    No. Google is blocking the geekologie.com site as a whole for its association with reports of malware infection, not that individual .jpg on the site. As far as I know, a malware infection requires you to click on an executable command, and a .jpg file does not qualify.
    Yeah, that's what I'm not totally clear on. That's what I thought, but you hear certain things about ads on sites and stuff causing viruses as well.
    -Kevin

    "My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan


    "I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

    RIP, Pete.

  12. #12
    Chapecó, que tristeza theDurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Basking Ridge, NJ

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 3.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    Yeah, that's what I'm not totally clear on. That's what I thought, but you hear certain things about ads on sites and stuff causing viruses as well.
    Ads can definitely carry malware. RhodyYanksFan is the only one who was exposed to those. Still, I think you have to click on the ad for it to infect you (as opposed to merely set off a warning. Of course, once you click, it's too late.) This board set off AVG warnings at one point, due to malware in ads, if memory serves.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

  13. #13
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    I owe you one.
    As if you wouldn't take an opportunity that presented itself anyway. I would hope you would, anyway.

  14. #14
    Chapecó, que tristeza theDurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Basking Ridge, NJ

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 3.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    As if you wouldn't take an opportunity that presented itself anyway. I would hope you would, anyway.
    As dey say, "Ya got that right!"
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

  15. #15
    Do not vex me mortal Hitman23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Long Island

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 3.0)

    I watched "Lord of War" yesterday. Another time I sit here baffled and wondering why people dislike Nicholas Cage so much. I know he's had some clunkers but he has enough really good roles for me to respect him. Anyway, really good movie.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball - Evil Empire
    Not making a decision, is a biiiiig decision!

  16. #16
    Waiting for 2018 Big_E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 3.0)

    A friend of mine recommended "The Long Hot Summer". I added it to my Netflix queue.
    Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's
    2016 NYYFans.com Fantasy Baseball League Champjons

  17. #17
    NYYF Legend

    GiambiRocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Hamilton, NJ

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 3.0)

    We watched a french movie last night 'The Well-Digger's Daughter'. It's a remake of a 1940's movie. The cinematography was beautiful, the story a bit cheesy but an overall good movie.
    My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay.

  18. #18
    NYYF Cy Young

    Tyler Durden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The CT/MA Border, aka Pink Sox Territory

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 3.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    I watched "Lord of War" yesterday. Another time I sit here baffled and wondering why people dislike Nicholas Cage so much. I know he's had some clunkers but he has enough really good roles for me to respect him. Anyway, really good movie.
    Cage is hit-or-miss for me, but you're right that his good roles are highly entertaining.

    Lord of War and Matchstick Men are 2 of my personal favorites from him.

  19. #19

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 3.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    I watched "Lord of War" yesterday. Another time I sit here baffled and wondering why people dislike Nicholas Cage so much. I know he's had some clunkers but he has enough really good roles for me to respect him. Anyway, really good movie.
    Are you really baffled? He's had more than "some" clunkers. He's had a couple dozen of them and they were clunkers every bit as much for his overacting as they were for the dopey stories. I sit there baffled and wonder why people commit any money to anything he headlines. Gee, what am I going to get this time...a dumb name (Memphis Raines, Benjamin Franklin Gates, Acid Yellow, Stanley Goodspeed),a ridiculous voice and the worst punchlines ever. "Put tha bunneh back in tha box" alone should have got him kicked out for life.
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

  20. #20
    Do not vex me mortal Hitman23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Long Island

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 3.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Cage is hit-or-miss for me, but you're right that his good roles are highly entertaining.

    Lord of War and Matchstick Men are 2 of my personal favorites from him.
    Bringing out the Dead is my favorite I think but this one he definitely nailed.
    Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Are you really baffled? He's had more than "some" clunkers. He's had a couple dozen of them and they were clunkers every bit as much for his overacting as they were for the dopey stories. I sit there baffled and wonder why people commit any money to anything he headlines. Gee, what am I going to get this time...a dumb name (Memphis Raines, Benjamin Franklin Gates, Acid Yellow, Stanley Goodspeed),a ridiculous voice and the worst punchlines ever. "Put tha bunneh back in tha box" alone should have got him kicked out for life.
    Well, no I suppose it's a poor choice of words. Maybe more disappointed that he is so easily dismissed. Everyone's got clunkers. And it's the actor's job to nail the role that was written, not actually create the character, no? Maybe he's just one of those people that can't be picky.

    I guess my point is that he's been in enough movies and nailed enough good characters that I don't just easily dismiss him as a crappy actor.

    I do understand that sometimes there are just some actors where the mere site of them pisses you off. For me it's Owen Wilson and Ben Stiller primarily. So if that's the case there is no examples I can produce to change your mind. I get that. I guess I'm just more surprised that so many people get that from Nicolas Cage.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball - Evil Empire
    Not making a decision, is a biiiiig decision!

  21. #21
    Not fooling anyone. Soriambi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 3.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Cage is hit-or-miss for me, but you're right that his good roles are highly entertaining.
    I think the good thing with Cage is that his bad roles are just as entertaining if not more so, just in a different way. He's very rarely dull, and even more rarely timid.
    -Kevin

    "My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan


    "I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

    RIP, Pete.

  22. #22

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 3.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    I think the good thing with Cage is that his bad roles are just as entertaining if not more so, just in a different way. He's very rarely dull.
    That's what I have issue with. I don't enjoy the "so bad it's good" movies and he has many of those. I enjoyed Adaptation....that was 12 years and 23 titles ago. Let me put it in terms of this site (stealing from Adam Carolla)...he has a really low batting average. And his power numbers (he really wasn't that great in Leaving Las Vegas) don't offset his high K total.
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

  23. #23
    Do not vex me mortal Hitman23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Long Island

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 3.0)

    ^ haha clever!
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball - Evil Empire
    Not making a decision, is a biiiiig decision!

  24. #24
    Not fooling anyone. Soriambi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 3.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    That's what I have issue with. I don't enjoy the "so bad it's good" movies and he has many of those. I enjoyed Adaptation....that was 12 years and 23 titles ago. Let me put it in terms of this site (stealing from Adam Carolla)...he has a really low batting average. And his power numbers (he really wasn't that great in Leaving Las Vegas) don't offset his high K total.
    That's fair enough. I do, and am often just as amazed by watching him perform absolutely horrendously as tremendously. I think he always goes full out for a role and takes major chances, whether for the better or the worse, and I respect him for that.
    -Kevin

    "My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan


    "I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

    RIP, Pete.

  25. #25
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 3.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    That's fair enough. I do, and am often just as amazed by watching him perform absolutely horrendously as tremendously. I think he always goes full out for a role and takes major chances, whether for the better or the worse, and I respect him for that.
    I will always be grateful for his performances in Raising Arizona and Face/Off (though Travolta, channeling Cage pretending to be Travolta, may have been even better than Cage as Travolta pretending to be Cage). I thought he was terrific in Adaptation, and in some other manic, seat-of-the-pants performances (Wild at Heart, Red Rock West).

    I've only seen clips of the romances, but I know you couldn't pay me enough to watch him do puppy-dog eyes in City of Angels, The Family Man, etc. And, unlike you, I find that his performances in catastrophes like 8MM and Snake Eyes just make the movies more catastrophic - he's ludicrous without being interesting, IMHO.

    If you haven't guessed from the movies I cited, I haven't seen anything he's done in the last 10 years or so. Looking over the list, I'm OK with that.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts