+ Reply to Thread
Page 183 of 183 FirstFirst ... 83 133 173 180 181 182 183
Results 4,551 to 4,572 of 4572
    NYYF Legend

Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 3.0)

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    You have something about big metal barns?

Bruce Springsteen was at the same Dylan concert I was. This was not long after Born to Run came out, when Bruce was the biggest thing in rock. My friends and I had better seats than he did.
    Speaking of demolishing old wrecks, are you joining the throngs watching the obliteration of the Tappan Zee Bridge? It must be the event of the year in your neck of the woods....

EDIT: Just read it was postponed....new date not yet announced
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    Speaking of demolishing old wrecks, are you joining the throngs watching the obliteration of the Tappan Zee Bridge? It must be the event of the year in your neck of the woods....
    I was amazed how fast it got built
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post

EDIT: Just read it was postponed....new date not yet announced
    I’m going into the city tomorrow morning. I was hoping to see it from the train.

The new bridge is actually quite attractive, which could never be said about the old one.

Hope is eternal

Just saw “On the Basis of Sex”. Felicity Jones did an incredible job.
    Thankful to be a fan of a big market team

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Can someone explain what's so great about Roma?

Hot take: Black Panther being nominated for best picture is nothing but a virtue signal. The dialogue was okay and the CGI was honestly trash. Its a stereotypical superhero film. Sure it tackles cultural issues but I do not think that warrants a best picture nomination. There are simply better films
    Everything should be joked about

Anti Zionism can be anti semitisim

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    Hot take: Black Panther being nominated for best picture is nothing but a virtue signal. The dialogue was okay and the CGI was honestly trash. Its a stereotypical superhero film. Sure it tackles cultural issues but I do not think that warrants a best picture nomination. There are simply better films
    I thought it was terrific, and I’m not a fan of superhero movies. I think it has more to do with the movie's staggering popularity than with "virtue signaling."

NYYF Legend

I saw Stan and Ollie the other night. A good little movie. A touching and somewhat sad tale.

Coogan and Reilly were absolutely dead on.
    Do not fear, all we want to do is talk.

Only words, and then your thoughts.

Which is why it wasn't nominated for writing or visual effects.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I thought it was terrific, and I’m not a fan of superhero movies. I think it has more to do with the movie's staggering popularity than with "virtue signaling."
    That doesn't make any sense because infinity war is very popular made tons of money. more money than black panther

In case you couldn’t tell, “virtue signaling” is the empty catch phrase of the last couple months for the Shapiro crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    In case you couldn’t tell, “virtue signaling” is the empty catch phrase of the last couple months for the Shapiro crowd.
    Im more of a Sam Harris guy myself

I think you’re working much too hard to explain a decision by the Academy that you disagree with. Even truly egregious decisions (which this surely isn’t) don’t need any explanation beyond: it’s the Academy. That’s what they do.

That doesn't make any sense because infinity war is very popular made tons of money. more money than black panther
    Actually Black Panther made more than Infinity War, at least in America.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly...er=DESC&p=.htm

I tried watching Roma again and....I just don't care. Why is this movie so highly regarded?

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    I tried watching Roma again and....I just don't care. Why is this movie so highly regarded?
    That's art. I found it to be a beautiful and emotionally moving story about life and relationships and what matters and what doesn't. I cried a few times during it and then thought about constantly days. Then I watched it again and started the cycle all over again. I thought both the storytelling and the cinematography were masterful. Sometimes you just come across film or tv show or a book that everyone raves about but it just doesn't click for you. I feel that way about a lot of things. It's perfectly fine.

This twitter thread from Guillermo de Toro is pretty awesome analysis. https://twitter.com/RealGDT/status/1084701184110153729

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    That's art. I found it to be a beautiful and emotionally moving story about life and relationships and what matters and what doesn't. I cried a few times during it and then thought about constantly days. Then I watched it again and started the cycle all over again. I thought both the storytelling and the cinematography were masterful. Sometimes you just come across film or tv show or a book that everyone raves about but it just doesn't click for you. I feel that way about a lot of things. It's perfectly fine.

This twitter thread from Guillermo de Toro is pretty awesome analysis. https://twitter.com/RealGDT/status/1084701184110153729
    28 flavors
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

I agree it was beautifully shot but all I kept thinking about was "why do I care about these people?"

I agree it was beautifully shot but all I kept thinking about was "why do I care about these people?"
    "these people." What people? Mexicans? Rhody.

"these people." What people? Mexicans? Rhody.

I meant the awful family and the maids. No character that I could relate to.

NYYF Cy Young

The Netflix documentary Fyre, about the failed Fyre Fest music festival, was very good.

The best thing about Instagram Influencer culture is that every moment of these people's lives being recorded makes for fantastic documentary footage when things go bad, as is the case here.
    Jingoism is not Patriotism

NYYF Legend

As I said in my post way back in early December, the movie sneaks up on you. At first, I was more in to the technical mastery as we witnessed the somewhat mundane quotidien existence of this upper middle-class Mexican family. The difference is, later on, as bad stuff started to happen, I learned I really did care about what happened to them, and I watched raptly to learn the outcome. I'm sure the fact I saw it in the theater during the limited release and that I understand Spanish made a difference, but I was very involved.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Thread Information