+ Reply to Thread
Page 172 of 172 FirstFirst ... 72 122 162 169 170 171 172
Results 4,276 to 4,284 of 4284
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    I don't know why you would think it's unlikely. I read the book back in high school in the early 1970s and I still have a copy of it in my book library. Brickhill stated that's the main technique they used to how they got rid of the dirt, even if the 1963 film strayed from the book when it comes to some other details. Grand Illusion was a 1937 film so why couldn't the POW's copy that idea in 1943-1944, when they dug those tunnels in Stalag Luft III? Perhaps you need to read the below Wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalag_Luft_III
    Canít say the coincidence makes much sense to me, but it doesnít really matter. The Great Escape just isn't important enough to me to be worth arguing about.

Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 3.0)

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Can’t say the coincidence makes much sense to me, but it doesn’t really matter. The Great Escape just isn't important enough to me to be worth arguing about.
    Frankly, I don't know why you're arguing as I think I made a convincing argument that perhaps Grand Illusion had some enlightenment how the POWS in WWII could get rid of the sand from their tunnels. The movie came out 1937 and the tunnels were dug in 1943/1944 during a time when everybody went to the movies. Most of those POWs were from Europe so it's no question that many of them saw Grand Illusion. I wouldn't call that a coincidence.
    God, I love Yankee fans as they're never satisfied!

As over the top as this might sound, I think itís completely beautiful movie, with a nuanced, entirely hu,anistic view at both a micro and macro level (that is, the individualís and the historical sweep). It's not technically innovative or anything, but its depth of understanding is beyond just about anything. And von Stroheim is magnificent.

And it didnít "influence" The Great Escape. TGE totally ripped it off. But Grand Illusion's story with the German woman - which I think is lovely - definitely influenced Jules and Jim. Truffaut is one of the few directors Iíd put in the same class for simple human understanding.

Edit: I think it was gutsy, but not as much as it would have been a couple of years later. Renoir once said: "In 1937 I was told I had made the greatest antiwar picture - two years later war broke out."

Also, the actor who played Rosenthal, Marcel Dalio, escaped from Paris in 1940 with his much-younger wife, Madeleine Lebeau. By a roundabout route, they finally made it to the US. Both were in Casablanca - Dalio as the croupier, Lebeau as Yvonne.
    Just for the record, I thought that part was very good. I'm just not sure how I feel about how it fit into the movie. It kind of felt like a different movie, though I similarly themed one. I was also impressed by how human he made all the characters (especially the Germans) at a time when a lot of war films were especially and baldly nationalistic.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

As over the top as this might sound, I think itís completely beautiful movie, with a nuanced, entirely hu,anistic view at both a micro and macro level (that is, the individualís and the historical sweep). It's not technically innovative or anything, but its depth of understanding is beyond just about anything. And von Stroheim is magnificent.

And it didnít "influence" The Great Escape. TGE totally ripped it off. But Grand Illusion's story with the German woman - which I think is lovely - definitely influenced Jules and Jim. Truffaut is one of the few directors Iíd put in the same class for simple human understanding.

Edit: I think it was gutsy, but not as much as it would have been a couple of years later. Renoir once said: "In 1937 I was told I had made the greatest antiwar picture - two years later war broke out."

Also, the actor who played Rosenthal, Marcel Dalio, escaped from Paris in 1940 with his much-younger wife, Madeleine Lebeau. By a roundabout route, they finally made it to the US. Both were in Casablanca - Dalio as the croupier, Lebeau as Yvonne.
    When I think of von Stroheim I always associate him with his role in Sunset Boulevard which was brilliant casting.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Tonight's foreign classic was Fellini's 8 1/2. I'll preface the same way I do talking about 2001: A Space Odyssey and The Seventh Seal: it's very possible, even likely, that it's just me and that I'm simply not smart enough for the movie given their reputations and how much people I otherwise think highly of think of them, but this one was very much not for me. I felt it was over the top pretentious gobbledygook and argle-bargle and smotheringly self indulgent. If I had to say something nice about it, it would be that the set design was noticeably great and that's about it.

I saw Fellini's La Strada a while back and, while I liked it considerably more than this, thought it was just okay. I'm starting to think he might just not click with me. I'm not ready to give up on him yet, but if his next movie I watch doesn't grab me, I might be done with him.
    -Kevin

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    Tonight's foreign classic was Fellini's 8 1/2. I'll preface the same way I do talking about 2001: A Space Odyssey and The Seventh Seal: it's very possible, even likely, that it's just me and that I'm simply not smart enough for the movie given their reputations and how much people I otherwise think highly of think of them, but this one was very much not for me. I felt it was over the top pretentious gobbledygook and argle-bargle and smotheringly self indulgent. If I had to say something nice about it, it would be that the set design was noticeably great and that's about it.

I saw Fellini's La Strada a while back and, while I liked it considerably more than this, thought it was just okay. I'm starting to think he might just not click with me. I'm not ready to give up on him yet, but if his next movie I watch doesn't grab me, I might be done with him.

MAN IN LINE
    (Loudly to his companion right behind Alvy and Annie)
    We saw the Fellini film last Tuesday. It is not one of his best. It lacks a cohesive structure. You know, you get the feeling that he's not absolutely sure what it is he wants to say. 'Course, I've always felt he was essentially a-a technical film maker. Granted, La Strada was a great film. Great in its use of negative energy more than anything else. But that simple cohesive core ...

Alvy, reacting to the man's loud monologue, starts to get annoyed, while Annie
    begins to read her newspaper.

ALVY
    (Overlapping the man's speech)
    I'm-I'm-I'm gonna have a stroke.

ANNIE
    (Reading)
    Well, stop listening to him.

MAN IN LINE
    (Overlapping Alvy and Annie)
    You know, it must need to have had its leading from one thought to another. You know what I'm talking about?

ALVY
    (Sighing)
    He's screaming his opinions in my ear.

MAN IN LINE
    Like all that Juliet of the Spirits or Satyricon, I found it incredibly ... indulgent. You know, he really is. He's one of the most indulgent film makers. He really is-

ALVY
    (Overlapping)
    Key word here is "indulgent."

MAN IN LINE
    (Overlapping)
    -without getting ... well, let's put it this way ...

[snip]

MAN IN LINE
    - It's like Samuel Beckett, you know-I admire the technique but he doesn't ... he doesn't hit me on a gut level.

ALVY
    (To Annie)
    I'd like to hit this guy on a gut level.

MAN IN LINE
    Would have rather been watching that movie.
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    Would have rather been watching that movie.
    I saw 8-1/2 and La Dolce Vita long ago, and I'm having trouble separating the two in my mind. All I really remember of them is Marcello Mastroianni and women wearing sunglasses and saying "Ciao, bella!" a lot.

I've seen several other Fellini movies, and they generally don't hit me on a gut level. Amarcord was probably the one I liked the most.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

I watched Blade Runner 2049 last night. It was so beautifully shot and a joy to watch. Did it need to be 2:45 minutes long? No, but for in initial viewing it was lovely to see the sweeping shots that easily could have been left out. There's a very good 2:10 version of this movie that would be much more rewatchable, but I'm glad the original exists.

The performances were all pretty good and the story, while a little hard to follow at times, was worthy and it did not feel like a useless money grab sequel.

It's currently #183 on the IMDB top 250. The original is at #150. I haven't seen the original in over a decade. I should revisit it at some point.

Thread Information