+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 152 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 54 104 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 3.0)

GF and I saw A Most Wanted Man last night. Theater was empty at 7:30 on a summer Sunday, maybe 10 people. It is not a great film, but worth seeing if only to say goodbye to Philip Seymour Hoffman. He looked like someone who was about to die of substance abuse. Sure, it was clearly part of the character, which he nailed as usual, but reality may have been showing through. The character did not give PSH the chance to shine as brilliantly as he usually does, but it was still an excellent performance.

It is one of the best John le Carré films I have seen. It was faster paced, and more comprehensible than Tinker, Tailor. Gunther Bachmann is a more likable, dynamic character than George Smiley. These are all extremely low bars, but it made for a much more enjoyable film.

I'd recommend for anyone who is a fan of le Carré or PSH, although the German accent, while credible, is a little off-putting in the case of the latter. The rest of the cast is just there for the ride (Willem Dafoe, Rachel McAdams, Robin Wright, others), but all do workmanlike jobs. If you want CGI explosions and car crashes in your spy film, go elsewhere.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    No, the last trailer isn't. Which I love. I'm with Greg I'll go in blind on any Nolan movie. But they just released another trailer at comic con. I'm debating looking for it.
    I'm not sure if the one I saw in the theater was the one revealed at Comic-con. I've generally avoiding stuff about it, as like you two, I'll go in blind on anything Nolan does until he disappoints me.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    GF and I saw A Most Wanted Man last night. Theater was empty at 7:30 on a summer Sunday, maybe 10 people. It is not a great film, but worth seeing if only to say goodbye to Philip Seymour Hoffman. He looked like someone who was about to die of substance abuse. Sure, it was clearly part of the character, which he nailed as usual, but reality may have been showing through. The character did not give PSH the chance to shine as brilliantly as he usually does, but it was still an excellent performance.

It is one of the best John le Carré films I have seen. It was faster paced, and more comprehensible than Tinker, Tailor. Gunther Bachmann is a more likable, dynamic character than George Smiley. These are all extremely low bars, but it made for a much more enjoyable film.

I'd recommend for anyone who is a fan of le Carré or PSH, although the German accent, while credible, is a little off-putting in the case of the latter. The rest of the cast is just there for the ride (Willem Dafoe, Rachel McAdams, Robin Wright, others), but all do workmanlike jobs. If you want CGI explosions and car crashes in your spy film, go elsewhere.
    Le Carre tends not to translate well into movies. Lots of procedure, lots of bureaucracy and spycraft, lots of thinking and internal conflict. Generally not all that much action.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Le Carre tends not to translate well into movies. Lots of procedure, lots of bureaucracy and spycraft, lots of thinking and internal conflict. Generally not all that much action.
    Hence the extremely low bar.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by NYYDragoon View Post
    I am so disappointed with you. My roommate saw it over the weekend and I said the same thing to him.

Really, all they had to do was change the rationale for the premise and I would be indifferent about this movie. I can't wait for Lucy II where she starts using 100% of her lung capacity.
    I mean, I knew going in that the premise was ridiculous, but if it was fun, had a lot of action, and we got to see ScarJo kicking a whole lot of ass, I could look past it and just explain it away as "superpowers" without getting into the "10%" fallacy. But none of that happened. It was a super dull movie that also had a stupid premise.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

I still haven't seen the 2nd film. I'm waiting for the Jackson cut that comes out in November.

Been a while since I read the book but wasn't Bilbo knocked out or asleep for the battle of the five armies?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    I still haven't seen the 2nd film. I'm waiting for the Jackson cut that comes out in November.
    What, WHAT.

Been a while since I read the book but wasn't Bilbo knocked out or asleep for the battle of the five armies?
    Yes. But that wouldn't work as a bloated film now would it?

(He's knocked out for the bulk of the battle but he's there for the beginning and aftermath.)

EDIT: Oh god, no Greg, it's a longer cut. Don't see it. The theatrical cut was obnoxiously long as it was. Ugh. I was hoping for a condensed version, but I guess that work will be up to the fans.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    I mean, I knew going in that the premise was ridiculous, but if it was fun, had a lot of action, and we got to see ScarJo kicking a whole lot of ass, I could look past it and just explain it away as "superpowers" without getting into the "10%" fallacy. But none of that happened. It was a super dull movie that also had a stupid premise.
    But why couldn't they just have used unexplained superpowers to begin with?

http://imgur.com/gallery/srHXdYG

But why couldn't they just have used unexplained superpowers to begin with?

http://imgur.com/gallery/srHXdYG
    I don't know, but it doesn't really matter because the movie still would have sucked either way.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    I don't know, but it doesn't really matter because the movie still would have sucked either way.
    Marvel really needs to just make a Black Widow movie. I hope they don't use the critical failure of Lucy as an excuse to avoid that.

Speaking of Marvel WHO'S PSYCHED FOR GUARDIANS?!

NYYF Legend

Marvel really needs to just make a Black Widow movie. I hope they don't use the critical failure of Lucy as an excuse to avoid that.

Speaking of Marvel WHO'S PSYCHED FOR GUARDIANS?!
    *Raises hand*. Looks like it's going to be a really fun time.

What, WHAT.

(He's knocked out for the bulk of the battle but he's there for the beginning and aftermath.)

EDIT: Oh god, no Greg, it's a longer cut. Don't see it. The theatrical cut was obnoxiously long as it was. Ugh. I was hoping for a condensed version, but I guess that work will be up to the fans.
    I have the extended edition of all LOTR and the 1st Hobbit one. I'm just gonna continue to get them all. I think the Hobbit bluray has both versions on it. I think the extended versions worked well for the LOTR films.

What, WHAT.

I watched the first Hobbit movie, and probably won't watch the other two. I think that's an acceptable way of condensing it. It was only a 300-page book to begin with.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

I have the extended edition of all LOTR and the 1st Hobbit one. I'm just gonna continue to get them all. I think the Hobbit bluray has both versions on it. I think the extended versions worked well for the LOTR films.
    Are there audio commentaries on the extended version of The Hobbit? I'd consider buying the three Hobbit movies as a set if they had the same level of audio commentary as the LOTR extended editions. Those were amazing, 4 commentary tracks for each movie, Director/Writers, Cast, Art/Design, and Special Effects.

NYYF Legend

The difference being that each LotR film was based off of its own 400-500 pg book. The Hobbit is trying to squeeze that same 9+ hours of screen time from 300 pages. Desolation of Smaug already felt like an extended cut; I'm not sure how there could be anything left.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I watched the first Hobbit movie, and probably won't watch the other two. I think that's an acceptable way of condensing it. It was only a 300-page book to begin with.
    After the first one I had so much hope for this series. I figured Peter Jackson was making the brilliant move of presenting The Hobbit as if Tolkien knew that it would be a prequel to LotR. Then I saw the second...and realized it's just a bunch of studio-driven bloat.

Quote Originally Posted by bcom33 View Post
    Are there audio commentaries on the extended version of The Hobbit? I'd consider buying the three Hobbit movies as a set if they had the same level of audio commentary as the LOTR extended editions. Those were amazing, 4 commentary tracks for each movie, Director/Writers, Cast, Art/Design, and Special Effects.
    I think it's just Jackson & Boyens, but it continues the appendices special features from the LOTR series which I really love.

Chris Pratt rules...

http://uproxx.com/filmdrunk/2014/07/...l-of-the-kids/
    Disney and the New York Daily News teamed up with Variety the Children’s Charity of New York and Children of Promise for a special screening of Guardians of the Galaxy for 250 kids. After the movie was over, Pratt surprised the kids with some words of inspiration about his own struggles growing up, and then he did the unthinkably cool and stayed until he’d taken a seflie with every single kid in the theater.

On theRecommendation of theDurk, I saw A Most Wanted Man tonight. I'm pretty much on the same page with all of his comments. It's fairly similar to other Le Carre based movies in feel, though I probably enjoyed it more overall than Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. I've never been a big fan of Le Carre, but seeing that style of spy movie is refreshing from time to time, though the limitations Dr. John points out do cause for some rather difficult watching at times.
    -Kevin

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

NYYF Cy Young

I finally watcher Her last night, what an odd movie, I really enjoyed it though. It gave a scary look into what could become our future.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by MoVaughnEatsAlot View Post
    I finally watcher Her last night, what an odd movie, I really enjoyed it though. It gave a scary look into what could become our future.
    Phoenix was awesome in that movie.

Oh, one more thought on A Most Wanted Man (or really Rachel McAdams in general). Rachel McAdams always looks good, but I don't think there's another actress out there whose looks tend to improve in movies over "real life" more than her. When you see appearances by her on talk shows or pictures of her from events or whatever, she looks good, but in her movies she's almost always absolutely stunning, and this movie's no exception. Nothing beats her in Wedding Crashers, though.
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

More Chris Pratt awesomeness.

http://imgur.com/gallery/vX6u4

NYYF Legend

NYC or 2.77 miles from the greatest stadium on earth

Trailer #3 for Interstellar got released today. It looks utterly mind blowing.
    Fire Tanaka

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sam18 View Post
    Trailer #3 for Interstellar got released today. It looks utterly mind blowing.
    Yes it does. I'm glad to see a resurgence in space movies.

I watched Hoosiers for the first time ever last night. I guess everyone loves it because it's the prototypical sports movie and created a lot of sports movie cliche's but wow was it full of cliches. Horrible character development too. It was very boring.

Thread Information