+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 147 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 52 102 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 3.0)

Come on guys - The Rock was an awesome movie. One of my favorite childhood movies.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Come on guys - The Rock was an awesome movie. One of my favorite childhood movies.
    I honestly don't remember if I ever saw it.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I honestly don't remember if I ever saw it.
    Then you didn't see it. (Your film memory is beyond impressive.) Connery and Cage and high power ensemble cast doing action stuff for some reason on an Alcatraz turned into a freaky funhouse of fire, steam, trapdoors and rotating blades. Just an all-around good time--perfect for the two of them. Any ten year-old would love it. Absolutely requires over-acting.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

I watched "The Words" last night. I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. Bradley Cooper and Dennis Quaid. Neither of which would really get me to see a movie. But Olivia Wilde will even though her part is small. Not the type of movie that I would come here to write about but something about it kind of stuck.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball - Evil Empire

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    Then you didn't see it. (Your film memory is beyond impressive.) Connery and Cage and high power ensemble cast doing action stuff for some reason on an Alcatraz turned into a freaky funhouse of fire, steam, trapdoors and rotating blades. Just an all-around good time--perfect for the two of them. Any ten year-old would love it. Absolutely requires over-acting.
    You're probably right that I didn't see it (though there are movies that I barely remember). I did see Con Air, another reasonably fun, preposterous action movie. That also had a high-powered ensemble cast, so much so that Cage barely stood out. (How's he going to do over-the-top, seat-of-his-pants absurdity better than Malkovich?)
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

I think you may enjoy the charm of "The Rock", John. It's a very entertaining movie.

Speaking of Cage, has anyone seen Joe? The South just seems like another world.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    You're probably right that I didn't see it (though there are movies that I barely remember). I did see Con Air, another reasonably fun, preposterous action movie. That also had a high-powered ensemble cast, so much so that Cage barely stood out. (How's he going to do over-the-top, seat-of-his-pants absurdity better than Malkovich?)
    If you enjoyed Con Air, you'd probably enjoy The Rock (though I'm somewhat surprised you enjoyed Con Air.) I can't imagine you not remembering The Rock if you'd seen it. Cage, Sean Connery, Ed Harris, and Michael Bay actually making something watchable if not downright solid. There are a lot of memorable elements there.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    If you enjoyed Con Air, you'd probably enjoy The Rock. I can't imagine you not remembering The Rock if you'd seen it. Cage, Sean Connery, Ed Harris, and Michael Bay actually making something watchable if not downright solid. There are a lot of memorable elements there.
    Especially this scene -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbXV_204RrQ

In honor of watching World War Z this weekend....... malware took a bite out of 2.0

Who's excited for Apes?? Reviews are great

Question for you.....
    Where do you sand on the creatures in WWZ? Zombies or Infected?

I go with Infected. Which makes the Z innacurate. Assuming that's what Z stands for. They even mention the word "zombie" in the movie which is very rarely done, if ever.

The reason I go with infected is due to the scene where Brad Pitt is standing on the roof counting down to see if he would turn. So you don't need to die in order to turn. To me this is infected and zombies are supposed to be dead.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    A friend of mine recommended "The Long Hot Summer". I added it to my Netflix queue.
    The one with Paul Newman? Shouldn't this be in the classic movie thread?
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Question for you.....
    Where do you sand on the creatures in WWZ? Zombies or Infected?

I go with Infected. Which makes the Z innacurate. Assuming that's what Z stands for. They even mention the word "zombie" in the movie which is very rarely done, if ever.

The reason I go with infected is due to the scene where Brad Pitt is standing on the roof counting down to see if he would turn. So you don't need to die in order to turn. To me this is infected and zombies are supposed to be dead.

Thoughts?
    Infected. Didn't the guy in Israel call them the undead... or the memo called them that? Either way, they end up fighting it with viruses so I'd argue it's something biological.

Continued... I kept thinking about this and realized that it has nothing to do with combatting a virus biologically. It's more psychological because they're weak/sick. I still think it's an infection - but this is pretty genius creatively.

I am also fascinated by the fact Mel Brooks' son wrote the book.
    Last edited by BxBomber44; 07-07-14 at 05:52 PM.

NYYF Legend

NYC or 2.77 miles from the greatest stadium on earth

Idk how people can ever apply logic to zombie movies.
    Fire Tanaka

"Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by Sam18 View Post
    Idk how people can ever apply logic to zombie movies.
    The same as you would for any universe. Intentional or not there is a distinction between dead and infected.

Quote Originally Posted by BxBomber44 View Post
    Infected. Didn't the guy in Israel call them the undead... or the memo called them that? Either way, they end up fighting it with viruses so I'd argue it's something biological.

Continued... I kept thinking about this and realized that it has nothing to do with combatting a virus biologically. It's more psychological because they're weak/sick. I still think it's an infection - but this is pretty genius creatively.

I am also fascinated by the fact Mel Brooks' son wrote the book.
    Can you expand on the psychological theory? I'm not quite sure I follow.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    This was amazing... Can't watch just once
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Can you expand on the psychological theory? I'm not quite sure I follow.
    The 'infected' do not attack the weak/sick because they are psychologically drawn towards a healthier target. An instinctual survival of the fittest tendency

Just got back from seeing Planet of The Apes...enjoyed it
    Quote Originally Posted by DEADSOX
    We won, stop bitching. Bitches.
    This Administration reminds me of Reservoir Dogs...Evil white guys in suits, few roles for women and Mr. Orange lies through the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNick View Post
    Just got back from seeing Planet of The Apes...enjoyed it
    Aye, it was really good.

x3.

Apes was excellent... and Giacchino's score was as good as the vfx work.

Everyone stop what they are doing and go watch The Battered Bastards of Baseball on Netflix right now.

It is excellent.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

8 new photos from Avengers 2 up on EW.com

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,2039...834753,00.html

Quote Originally Posted by NYDCYankee View Post
    Everyone stop what they are doing and go watch The Battered Bastards of Baseball on Netflix right now.

It is excellent.
    This is actually playing at an art-house theater close to my apt. Was curious as to what it was..

Thread Information