+ Reply to Thread
Page 191 of 193 FirstFirst ... 91 141 181 188 189 190 191 192 193 LastLast
Results 4,751 to 4,775 of 4809
    NYYF Cy Young

Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 3.0)

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    This sums it up nicely. 1969 is my favorite historical year for many reasons, and they went to a lot of trouble getting the staging right. I'd love to see a bunch of still frames to examine it more closely. The storyline was basically uncomplicated, but the acting, directing and scenery was top notch.
    Just saw it yesterday. Loved it.

The staging is incredible and it's beautifully shot. QT outdid himself to re-create the world of late 60's Hollywood.

This is definitely a "hangout" movie in that it takes its time telling its story. It also doesn't neatly fit into a specific genre, so those who are expecting a more up-tempo crime thriller or those who don't know/care much about what was happening in Hollywood in 1969 probably won't enjoy it as much.

Margot Robbie doesn't have much dialogue at all, but she has one of the best scenes (when she's in the movie theater).

Overall, it felt like Jackie Brown Unplugged to me, which is a good look for Tarantino.
    Jingoism is not Patriotism

So after all these years I finally watched The Deer Hunter last night. Meh. It doesn't seem like it has aged well to me.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    So after all these years I finally watched The Deer Hunter last night. Meh. It doesn't seem like it has aged well to me.
    Itís probably the worst movie John Cazale ever appeared in.

The Godfather
    The Conversation
    The Godfather Part II
    Dog Day Afternoon
    The Deer Hunter.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post

The Godfather
    The Conversation
    The Godfather Part II
    Dog Day Afternoon
    The Deer Hunter.
    An amazing career.
    In "Kids in the Hall" I trust

The Godfather
    The Conversation
    The Godfather Part II
    Dog Day Afternoon
    The Deer Hunter.
    My ranking would be different but The Deer Hunter would be a distant last.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

My ranking would be different but The Deer Hunter would be a distant last.
    Chronological order.

Chronological order.
    ahhh, gotcha

I don't know, I love that movie, though probably more for sentimental reasons. Speaking of DeNiro and linking to the Scorsese posts, I saw Mean Streets for the first time a couple of days ago. I thought it was just ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Just saw it yesterday. Loved it.

The staging is incredible and it's beautifully shot. QT outdid himself to re-create the world of late 60's Hollywood.

This is definitely a "hangout" movie in that it takes its time telling its story. It also doesn't neatly fit into a specific genre, so those who are expecting a more up-tempo crime thriller or those who don't know/care much about what was happening in Hollywood in 1969 probably won't enjoy it as much.

Margot Robbie doesn't have much dialogue at all, but she has one of the best scenes (when she's in the movie theater).

Overall, it felt like Jackie Brown Unplugged to me, which is a good look for Tarantino.
    I dug it, slow roll to an epic finish. Acting, directing, and cinematography were all A+. Margo Robbie is gorgeous and has jumped over ScarJo and Charlize on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Saw Yesterday yesterday. Itís a fun movie, a bit slow at times, with a bizarre premise. If youíre not a Beatles fan but like a love story youíll still like this film. If youíre a Beatles fan itís worth seeing. Guy who plays Lennon looks exactly like him...gives you the chills. Yesterday gets a B on the Bub scale.
    Recently saw this. I'll give it a B+. It was actually pretty humorous, Kate McKinnon was great.

On to Lennon, I went with my daughter (will be a HS Sr.) and her boyfriend who just graduated from HS. We were walking out and he comes out with this gem "It was really cool that John Lennon got to be in the movie". My daughter and I looked at each other with matching WTF? expressions. He was serious, had no idea he had been murdered in 1980. I told her she should probably end the relationship.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by freebubba View Post
    Recently saw this. I'll give it a B+. It was actually pretty humorous, Kate McKinnon was great.

On to Lennon, I went with my daughter (will be a HS Sr.) and her boyfriend who just graduated from HS. We were walking out and he comes out with this gem "It was really cool that John Lennon got to be in the movie". My daughter and I looked at each other with matching WTF? expressions. He was serious, had no idea he had been murdered in 1980. I told her she should probably end the relationship.
    ...if you going to the movies with them hasn't already done that.
    In "Kids in the Hall" I trust

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I was thinking freebubba must have paid

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post

I was thinking freebubba must have paid
    They actually invited me, and when I met them at the local theater in town, they had already bought my ticket for me. I picked up the concessions.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Has anyone seen It-2? I loved the first one, but between part 2 being almost 3 hours and getting bad reviews I'm gonna wait for HBO.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Has anyone seen It-2? I loved the first one, but between part 2 being almost 3 hours and getting bad reviews I'm gonna wait for HBO.
    I havenít seen it, but Iím past my Finn Wolfhard threshold for the year.

I didn't know it had bad reviews. I went on Saturday and thought it was good. I liked the first one better, but this one was still good.

Good to the last drop CoyoteYankee's Avatar

Most people that I've talked to said that they enjoyed it but that it was too long.
    2017 - Better than expected!

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

Movie Pass has announced it's officially going kaput today

I watched half of Bohemian Rhapsody and turned it off. I thought he was an insufferable twit.

I watched half of Bohemian Rhapsody and turned it off. I thought he was an insufferable twit.
    You really set yourself up for a "you're a....." with that one.

You really set yourself up for a "you're a....." with that one.
    Itís a fair assessment, but Iím not in the same league as Mercury as they portrayed him.

Hope is eternal

Saw ďOfficial SecretsĒ. If true, it eliminates any remaining doubt that the Iraqi War (2003) was set up by lies and not faulty intelligence
    The sky is falling! We are doomed!

NYYF Cy Young

Even though some of the father-son space metaphors were a bit too on the nose, I really enjoyed Ad Astra.

As far as recent emotional space movies go, I'd rank it behind Moon but ahead of Interstellar.
    Jingoism is not Patriotism

If anyone is looking for a good, underrated mob/organized crime flick, Kill The Irishman was pretty good. It has been around for a few years. Anyone old enough to remember Cleveland in the mid-70's (which I am not) will especially enjoy it.

Thread Information