+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6
    not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Re: Let's Talk Podcasts, What Do You Listen To?

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Fascinating, in that everything you think along the way turns out to be not quite so. More than a little uncomfortable, in that the story they made - an in-depth examination of one person, his life and his eccentricities - wasn't the story they were brought in to make, and they probably couldn't have made it if he hadn't killed himself. Brian's shock and grief were probably real, but he and his team realized quickly enough what a great opportunity it gave them. They were able to put John B.'s life under a highly intrusive microscope, with no one to set limits on their invason of his privacy.
    interesting take.

the complete willingness for so many people to talk brian and john b's openness that one day he was going to kill himself made me wonder if john only bought brian in to eventually shine a light on his suicide as a means of addressing the wider issues he was concerned with.

in addition to that, john b continually kept the link going with brian even after the initial investigation was over through the emails.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    interesting take.

the complete willingness for so many people to talk brian and john b's openness that one day he was going to kill himself made me wonder if john only bought brian in to eventually shine a light on his suicide as a means of addressing the wider issues he was concerned with.

in addition to that, john b continually kept the link going with brian even after the initial investigation was over through the emails.
    I'm not denying that John B. provided the opportunity, and plenty of material. Plus, they explicitly decided that, since he was an atheist who didn't believe in an afterlife, they could blow past any boundaries they wanted, even boundaries they knew he didn't want crossed. Maybe John B. would have loved the story they ended up making. Maybe he wanted them to make it from the beginning. But he didn't say so, and he didn't give permission, and once he was dead, well, there was no one to stop them. Their own sense of restraint and appropriateness certainly didn't get in the way.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

I loved S-Town. I listened to the first half on a drive up from DC to NY for a fantasy draft and then the rest of it on my way back.

It is going to be one of my favorite things produced tv/movies/books/podcasts all year.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

I'm not denying that John B. provided the opportunity, and plenty of material. Plus, they explicitly decided that, since he was an atheist who didn't believe in an afterlife, they could blow past any boundaries they wanted, even boundaries they knew he didn't want crossed. Maybe John B. would have loved the story they ended up making. Maybe he wanted them to make it from the beginning. But he didn't say so, and he didn't give permission, and once he was dead, well, there was no one to stop them. Their own sense of restraint and appropriateness certainly didn't get in the way.
    interesting. it's not something i considered. i'm still not sure they did anything wrong morally but your point has made me think about it. also, not sure him being an atheist changed anything.

interesting. it's not something i considered. i'm still not sure they did anything wrong morally but your point has made me think about it. also, not sure him being an atheist changed anything.
    In the last episode, they specifically talked about his atheism as a factor in their decision-making.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

In the last episode, they specifically talked about his atheism as a factor in their decision-making.
    really? i must have missed that. i recall them mentioning it but not that it factored in their decision.

really? i must have missed that. i recall them mentioning it but not that it factored in their decision.
    Yep they said that it did.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

i believe you - both.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Dan Carlin just uploaded another episode of Hardcore History. Kind of a standalone episode.
    I've recently started trying to get into more podcasts and I just finished listening to an episode of this, though not this episode. I thought it was great, though some of the run times are a bit intimidating (the episode I listened to was over 4 hours long.) I subscribed to a bunch of things--not sure what will stick and what won't, but that show definitely seems like a keeper. He's great at providing context and seems to be a great storyteller.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

Thread Information