+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Let's Talk Podcasts, What Do You Listen To?

I am a rabid fan of Comedy Bang Bang (saw them live two weeks ago here in DC). I also enjoy a few other things on the Earwolf Network like Ronna & Beverly, Sklarbro Country and Hollywoord Handbook. On the comedy front I also listen to Real Time, Doug Loves Movies and You Made it Weird (by the way Pete Holmes new show on TBS is fantastic).

The popculture podcasts I really like are Firewall & Iceberg and Hollywood Prospectus. For political podcasts, I listen to Slate's Political Gabfest, the New Yorker's Political Scene, Vice and Politico's The Scrum.

Other stuff I listen to include The NYTims Science Times, Stuff You Missed In History Class, Here's The Thing, Savage Lovecast, Freakonomics Radio, Baseball Prospectus Tower of Power Fantasy Hour and Radiolab.

I listen to all of this stuff while I am at work. It is pretty amazing how much you can listen to at work, when you don't have to interact with people.

OK, what do you listen to? What should I be listening to? Podcasts are currently launching the careers of people from Earwolf and The Nerdists networks, not to mention guys likes Marc Maron. Are podcasts going to kill radio?
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

NYYF Legend

Re: Let's Talk Podcasts, What Do You Listen To?

I've started listening to Podcasts a ton over the past year or two.

The Nerdist Podcast is hilarious, though I completely understand if some people get turned off by Chris Hardwick. However, his guests are always great and far more interesting than he is.

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History and Common Sense podcasts are both very good. Hardcore History doesn't come out very often, but when it does it's a must-listen.

The TED Radio Hour Podcast by NPR is also great. It's basically a post-interview with people who have given TED talks. The shows are divided into general topics, with usually 3 or 4 TED speakers being interviewed who gave related talks.

IGN does a number of podcasts worth listening to. Podcast Beyond is a good Playstation podcast, the IGN AU Pubcast is freaking hilarious. It's their Australian team drinking beers and talking about what's up with games this week, and they're amazing. The IGN UK podcast is also very funny, and also discusses new movies more often.

Startalk with Neil DeGrasse Tyson is a great astrophysics/general science talk show. He recently did a good two part episode where he interviewed Dan Aykroyd.

I also occasionally listen to the Stuff You Should Know podcast and Freakonomics Radio.

I've listened to WTF with Marc Maron, but I don't really like his demeanor or his style in interviews. I typically end up getting more from The Nerdist podcast.

As to whether Podcasts will kill radio, I think they do. I can stream via bluetooth in my car from my phone. It has completely replaced AM/FM radio for me. I occasionally still listen to Sirius though.

NYYF Legend

I listen to This American Life, The Moth, All things Considered, and Brian & Jill show. That's it

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

I've been listening to podcasts for around six years now. I used to listen to sixty different ones per week. That number has come down now though it's still pretty high, over thirty probably. Some are 5 minutes long, some are two hours.

The best podcast I ever listened to was Baseball Prospectus' Up & In which ran for two years. They talked about baseball, scouting prospects, had superb guests and some pop culture. They stopped it when one of the host became head of Baseball Scouting for the Astros. All 101 episodes are still on ITunes and are still a good listen.

I got into podcasts when I occasionally guested on a Yankee podcast run by Ty Hildenbrandt who now does the Solid Verbal podcast.

Baseball
    Baseball America
    The Baseball Show with Rany & Joe (excellent)
    Baseball Prospectus' Effectively Wild
    Keith Law's Behind the Dish
    FanGraphs (only select ones, not all of them)
    Pinstripe Alley (best Yankee one out there now)
    River Ave Blues (they haven't done one in a while though)

NFL
    Daily Madden
    ESPN Football Today (not what it was)
    The F*Ball Podcast
    Inside the Huddle (UK based and getting worse)
    MMQB with Peter King
    Around the League
    The Coaches' Show
    College Football 24/7
    The Dave Dameshek Podcast
    ProFootballTalk
    The Rich Eisen Podcast
    The Ross Tucker Podcast (very good)
    Tuesday Morning Podcast (UK based)
    SI's Audibles with Doug Farrah & Greg Cosell (excellent)

Niners Specific
    KNBR Fitz & Brooks
    KNBR Mac & Murph
    KNBR Gary & Larry
    KNBR Tom Tolbert
    Hooked on the Niners
    Niner Talk Central
    Niner Nation
    49ers' Webzone

Other Sports
    BBC 5 Live Sport Specials (various documentaries & discussions)
    BBC Test Match Special (cricket)
    Cricinfo The Switch Hit (cricket)

Other
    BBC Friday Night Comedy
    BBC Mark Kermode's Film Reviews
    BBC Documentaries
    Real Time with Bill Maher

I recently cut around five or six others off the list as I wasn't able to fit them in during the week. The KNBR podcasts are radio interviews about Bay Area sports. I only listen to select Niner ones (not player interviews as they're usually useless). Right now, the Keith Law's is very good and so is Rany & Joe's Baseball Show. The BBC have tonnes of excellent podcasts on various subjects and topics. There websites is a good way of finding them. Them use iTunes (if apple is your podcast listening device) as finding them all on iTunes doesn't always work.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Quote Originally Posted by bcom33 View Post
    I've started listening to Podcasts a ton over the past year or two.

The Nerdist Podcast is hilarious, though I completely understand if some people get turned off by Chris Hardwick. However, his guests are always great and far more interesting than he is.
    Yeah I just don't find him all that funny, even his standup. I actually am enjoying his new show @Midnight on Comedy Central, but I think it is more because of the other funny people he has on.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

I got rid of XM because I found myself listening to podcasts on my commute way more. I listen to many of the same ones already mentioned (Nerdist, Ted, Freakonomics, Firewall & Iceberg) but I'll mention a few others I find interesting.

BS Report with Bill Simmons - you know what you get with him. The NFL ones are fun, especially on Mondays when he guesses the spreads for the upcoming week. I delete any NBA or Red Sox ones though.
    Grantland NFL - good analysis by Bill Barnwell & Robert Mays
    Penn's Sunday School -Penn Jillette just discussing stuff for 90 minutes. He's a great storyteller.
    NPR Planet Money
    NPR Pop Culture Happy Hour - they put on a real good show. Highly recommend it, especially their "what's making me happy this week" segment
    Alton Brown-cast - Alton Brown discussing food news sounds boring but it isn't and he gets some good guests

and my new favorite:
    James Bonding - two huge Bond fans go in depth on one movie per episode. They're going snake style so they started with Dr No, then Skyfall, then FRWL, then Quantum of Solace etc. Each week they put up a new one. Very fun if you like Bond.

Quote Originally Posted by NYDCYankee View Post
    Yeah I just don't find him all that funny, even his standup. I actually am enjoying his new show @Midnight on Comedy Central, but I think it is more because of the other funny people he has on.
    That's the nice thing about Nerdist, though. The focus is on the guest and, as annoying as Hardwick can be, he's actually very skilled at getting his guests to loosen up and just be themselves for an hour.

The only podcasts I really listen to on a regular basis are Nerdist and Kevin Smith's Smodcast. I used to listen to a bunch when LOST was on, but I haven't really replaced those with anything.

During the season I really enjoy "A Cast of Kings" about Game of Thrones. They did a good Breaking Bad one too. I find the male host annoying because he's so nit picky, but the girl more than cancels him out with her good analysis and insight.

I gave up on Smodcast a while ago. Try Penn's Sunday School for "show about nothing"ness.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    During the season I really enjoy "A Cast of Kings" about Game of Thrones. They did a good Breaking Bad one too. I find the male host annoying because he's so nit picky, but the girl more than cancels him out with her good analysis and insight.

I gave up on Smodcast a while ago. Try Penn's Sunday School for "show about nothing"ness.
    Yeah, I had been listening to Podcast Winterfell during the season for Game of Thrones. Pretty informative.

Have you guys found the TV show specific podcasts to be spoilery?

NYYF Legend

Having only listened to Podcast Winterfell, I can just say that they're extremely wary about spoilers, and give warnings. However, I usually won't listen until I've watched the episode they're going to talk about anyway.

Devoted Member

Baseball Prospectus Fringe Average
    Baseball Prospectus Effectively Wild
    Baseball Tonight with Buster Olney (really miss the old show with Karabell/Pascarelli)
    Fantasy Focus Baseball
    Fantasy Focus Football
    Fantasy Football - Fantasy Underground
    Giant Bombcast
    Bombin' the A.M.
    BBC Global News
    FanGraphs (various)

The ones I listen to spoil everything through that weeks episode but they go to great lengths to not spoil future things either known (as in ASOIAF books) or unknown (rumors or even episode titles).

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Quote Originally Posted by Vazquez View Post
    Baseball Prospectus Fringe Average
    Baseball Prospectus Effectively Wild
    Baseball Tonight with Buster Olney (really miss the old show with Karabell/Pascarelli)
    Fantasy Focus Baseball
    Fantasy Focus Football
    Fantasy Football - Fantasy Underground
    Giant Bombcast
    Bombin' the A.M.
    BBC Global News
    FanGraphs (various)

I gave up on Buster Onley's podcast. The previous version was far better. ESPM have really screwed up their podcast department.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    I gave up on Buster Onley's podcast. The previous version was far better. ESPM have really screwed up their podcast department.
    They have. Buster's podcast is just a series of pre-recorded clips with the occasional decent guest. Karabell and Pascarelli had an awesome back-and-forth with a good mix of banter and analysis. Also Nate/Berry are leaving Fantasy Focus Baseball. It's pretty apparent ESPN really just wants to pack as many football podcasts as they can into iTunes.

Wait Berry is leaving too?

Devoted Member

Wait Berry is leaving too?
    They are doing FF: Football but both are leaving FF: Baseball. I imagine it will be a combination of Cockcroft/Karabell going forward next year on the baseball pod.

I just listened to the final podcast for the year and yeah it looks like he is leaving. I don't really enjoy Cockraft and Karabell. I hope they go in a different direction.

Honestly, I like the CBS crew better as far as the daily fanatsy podcasts go, even if Nando is a giant douche.

I have trouble listening to my weekly podcasts in a timely manner, I couldn't imagine trying to keep up with a 45-60 minute daily one.

I think I actually replaced watching baseball for listening to fantasy baseball podcasts this year.

Bump.

Recently I've been catching up with Welcome to Night Vale. It's awesome. I started from the beginning, which I think is a good idea, because there's a lot of information that runs throughout the series - the forbidden dog park, Carlos the scientist (lovely Carlos), the abandoned mineshaft outside town (HBO in every cell!) and so on.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Bump.

Who else is hooked on Serial?

http://serialpodcast.org/
    Serial is a podcast where we unfold one nonfiction story, week by week, over the course of a season. We'll stay with each story for as long as it takes to get to the bottom of it.

On January 13, 1999, a girl named Hae Min Lee, a senior at Woodlawn High School in Baltimore County, Maryland, disappeared. A month later, her body turned up in a city park. She'd been strangled. Her 17-year-old ex-boyfriend, Adnan Syed, was arrested for the crime, and within a year, he was convicted and sentenced to spend the rest of his life in prison. The case against him was largely based on the story of one witness, Adnanís friend Jay, who testified that he helped Adnan bury Hae's body. But Adnan has always maintained he had nothing to do with Haeís death. Some people believe heís telling the truth. Many others donít.

Sarah Koenig, who hosts Serial, first learned about this case more than a year ago. In the months since, she's been sorting through box after box (after box) of legal documents and investigators' notes, listening to trial testimony and police interrogations, and talking to everyone she can find who remembers what happened between Adnan Syed and Hae Min Lee fifteen years ago. What she realized is that the trial covered up a far more complicated story, which neither the jury nor the public got to hear. The high school scene, the shifting statements to police, the prejudices, the sketchy alibis, the scant forensic evidence - all of it leads back to the most basic questions: How can you know a personís character? How can you tell what theyíre capable of? In Season One of Serial, she looks for answers.

I am totally hooked. Love it.

I think Adnan did it but Jay is totally more involved then we know yet.

Probably my favorite non-comedy podcast ever.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Bump.

Recently I've been catching up with Welcome to Night Vale. It's awesome. I started from the beginning, which I think is a good idea, because there's a lot of information that runs throughout the series - the forbidden dog park, Carlos the scientist (lovely Carlos), the abandoned mineshaft outside town (HBO in every cell!) and so on.
    Just caught this about a year late. That looks really fun.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

Thread Information