+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: Let's Talk Podcasts, What Do You Listen To?

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Did you, or anyone, make it all the way through? I stopped after the third episode, I think.
    Nope. Still sitting there on my phone. I imagine I will get to it eventually.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

Huffington Posts Sam Steins new pod Candidate Confessional is good. It's a long form interview with losing political candidates. He's done one with Anthony Weiner, Martin O'Malley, Tim Pawlenty, Michelle Bachman. My favorite so far is Howard Deans.
    My Top 100 Films of 2015: http://funnylookinfilms.tumblr.com/

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Did you, or anyone, make it all the way through? I stopped after the third episode, I think.
    I gave up after 4 of them I think. Whenever they switched to every-other-week releases - by then I totally lost interest and that week without one was the final push I needed.

I recently got a job that allows me to listen to something while I work, so I have fairly recently gotten into podcasts. The comedy ones are my favorite.

Comedy Bang! Bang! (Going to my first live show in May!!!)
    Spontaneanation (or anything with Paul F. Tompkins really... I also greatly enjoy his old podcasts- Pod F. Tompkast, Dead Author's Podcast, The Thrilling Adventure Hour, Superego)
    Judge John Hodgman
    Pistol Shrimps Radio
    With Special Guest Lauren Lapkus
    Doug Love Movies

I also listen to things like This American Life, Welcome to Night Vale, The Moth, Ted Radio Hour, Radiolab, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, Ask Me Another, and Better Call Saul Insider.

As far as interview podcasts go, I occasionally listen to the Nerdist, You Made it Weird, and WTF, but usually only when I'm interested in the interviewee.

I agree about this season of Serial. I have several unplayed episodes sitting on my iPod.

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

yep, listened to everyone. it steadily and consistently improved, peaking one or two from the end. it was interesting. not like the first one, less spectacular but certainly still interesting.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Quote Originally Posted by SheffRocks11 View Post
    I recently got a job that allows me to listen to something while I work, so I have fairly recently gotten into podcasts. The comedy ones are my favorite.

Comedy Bang! Bang! (Going to my first live show in May!!!)
    Spontaneanation (or anything with Paul F. Tompkins really... I also greatly enjoy his old podcasts- Pod F. Tompkast, Dead Author's Podcast, The Thrilling Adventure Hour, Superego)
    Judge John Hodgman
    Pistol Shrimps Radio
    With Special Guest Lauren Lapkus
    Doug Love Movies
    We have similar comedy podcast tastes (and I have seen CBB live too, it was great). My favorite though is Hollywood Handbook. Hayes and Shawn are so hilarious, they were great on Monday's CBB and I hope when they show up on there that they get a ton of listeners.

Quote Originally Posted by 21stAmendment View Post
    Huffington Posts Sam Steins new pod Candidate Confessional is good. It's a long form interview with losing political candidates. He's done one with Anthony Weiner, Martin O'Malley, Tim Pawlenty, Michelle Bachman. My favorite so far is Howard Deans.
    The terrific John Dickerson, host of CBS Face the Nation and Slate's Political Gabfest, has a terrific podcast about the history of campaigns called Whistlestop. High recommendation.

Political podcasts are starting to pop up all over the place. You have the Gabfest and Whistlestop. 538's election podcast is mandatory listening right now. Keeping in 1600 is now part of the Bill Simmons new network of podcast and his hosted by top level Obama staffers Jon Favreu and Dan Pfieffer. Trumpcast is a daily Slate podcast about all things Trump that will be on everyday until he is gone (even if it is 8 years from now). David Axelrod's The Axe Files, is more of an interview podcast but is still pretty insightful and he has some really great interviews with GOP figures recently like Eric Erickson, Jon Huntsman and Lindsey Graham. Also, David Gregory (who I have always kind of liked) just started an interview podcast on the Earwolf network (started today actually) and he hasn't had any political guests but I imagine that he will soon.

Quote Originally Posted by NYDCYankee View Post
    We have similar comedy podcast tastes (and I have seen CBB live too, it was great). My favorite though is Hollywood Handbook. Hayes and Shawn are so hilarious, they were great on Monday's CBB and I hope when they show up on there that they get a ton of listeners.
    I plan on adding that, along with How Did This Get Made, to my rotation after I finish going through the cbb and superego backlogs.

Quote Originally Posted by SheffRocks11 View Post
    I plan on adding that, along with How Did This Get Made, to my rotation after I finish going through the cbb and superego backlogs.
    Yeah, HDTGM is outstanding. Today's episode was really really really funny. And recently they went on a real string of awesome episodes.

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

had to drop stuff you should know from by subscribed list today. just can't keep up with all of the podcasts.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Yeah, HDTGM is outstanding. Today's episode was really really really funny. And recently they went on a real string of awesome episodes.
    Is it still funny if you've never seen the movie they're discussing? The parts I liked the best were when they touched on the stupid parts in these movies that I wondered about myself. Not sure if I'd have the same reaction if I didn't know what they meant.

If you loved Serial but hated Serial S2, then you need to listen to In The Dark because it is the true successor to the amazing original Serial podcast.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    If you loved Serial but hated Serial S2, then you need to listen to In The Dark because it is the true successor to the amazing original Serial podcast.
    Thanks for the tip. I've been listening to Accused, which isn't bad but falls short of Serial standards.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

I liked In The Dark but felt it kind of dropped off towards the end.

NYYF Legend

I'm not a huge podcast person, but there's two of them I listen to every week.

"Keepin' it 1600:" Four former Obama stagehands dishing on the election and the world of politics. They're (obviously) very liberal so if that's not your thing, this isn't the podcast for you. But if you are a Democrat, they're very smart guys with good guests who bring some interesting observations about the election.

"West Wing Weekly": Josh Molina (former actor on the show) is one of the hosts of this podcast, which goes episode by episode on The West Wing. They're currently early in season 2, and it's great. They've had all the main actors on as guests already as well as Aaron Sorkin, and it's a great behind-the-scenes look at how they made the show, which I consider one of the greatest shows in American TV history.

Just started listening to Crimetown, which is going to look at the crime culture of a different city each season. Fantastic choice for season 1: Providence, RI. Rhodey, you'll like this one.

Also the first two episodes of Homecoming, a drama that hasn't quite gotten going yet, but has an amazing cast - Catherine Keener and Oscar Isaac in the leads, with support from David Schwimmer, David Cross and Amy Sedaris.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Just started listening to Crimetown, which is going to look at the crime culture of a different city each season. Fantastic choice for season 1: Providence, RI. Rhodey, you'll like this one.

Also the first two episodes of Homecoming, a drama that hasn't quite gotten going yet, but has an amazing cast - Catherine Keener and Oscar Isaac in the leads, with support from David Schwimmer, David Cross and Amy Sedaris.
    Looks like two good recs. Thanks!

In the true crime vein Stranglers (about the Boston strangler) just got started and it is very interesting.

I have also been enjoying Hannibal Burress' new podcast, because he is just a funny dude. And Still Processing with Wesley Morris and a co-host, where they discuss pop culture and things going on in the world from an African American perspective.

Yes! I found this one yesterday and listened to the first 3 already. Buddy Cianci is a really amazing figure in RI history. He actually ran for mayor again in 2014 as an independent. He came in 2nd with 45% of the vote.

american interest
    geology flannel cast
    new books series

https://theringer.com/crimetown-podc...949#.ec7e6uc4l

Not-So-Divine Providence
    ‘Crimetown’ is a bracing, investigative deep dive into crime and corruption — and part of a wave of podcasts that are primed for TV and film adaption

I'd love to see someone do a show on this. It would kind of be a mashup of The Wire and Show Me A Hero.

I'd love to see someone do a show on this. It would kind of be a mashup of The Wire and Show Me A Hero.
    Have you listened to Homecoming yet?
    - Barry Manilow

Have you listened to Homecoming yet?
    Yeah I have been. I am enjoying that too. But do you know how many episodes it is supposed to be?

Yeah I have been. I am enjoying that too. But do you know how many episodes it is supposed to be?
    Nope. It does have a certain...leisurely pace, doesn't it?
    - Barry Manilow

Nope. It does have a certain...leisurely pace, doesn't it?
    It sure does. And I am enjoying it, but I would be happy to know that there are just four more episodes or something like that.

Thread Information