+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: Let's Talk Podcasts, What Do You Listen To?

No Serial podcast this Thursday.

Thanks for nothing Thanksgiving!
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

"Because, you know, what if he is a psychopath?"

Great ending.

Quote Originally Posted by NYDCYankee View Post
    "Because, you know, what if he is a psychopath?"

Great ending.
    I don't know if that was meant to be ironic, but that's how it sounded to me, because a good psychopath would be the best there is at showing remorse. At some point he'd figure out that there's no payoff in continuing to insist on his innocence - in fact, he's said so - so he'd start working on making a good impression for parole.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

I usually don't mind the Baltimore accent, but my god, was his lawyer's voice grating.

As some one who lives in Maryland I hate it, but it isn't worse or as pervasive as Long Island where I am from.

NYYF Legend

I keep falling asleep every time I try to listen to this week's episode. I hope next week's is better.

That was a pretty terrific finale for Serial. About as good as it could be.

I hope they give us some follow up eps and updates.

Quote Originally Posted by NYDCYankee View Post
    That was a pretty terrific finale for Serial. About as good as it could be.

I hope they give us some follow up eps and updates.
    Loved it. I'm in the same camp as Sarah. I think he did it, but I don't think there's enough evidence for him to have been convicted of it.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Loved it. I'm in the same camp as Sarah. I think he did it, but I don't think there's enough evidence for him to have been convicted of it.
    Agreed, though I'd say I think he might have done it. I'm not convinced one way or the other, but I don't see how the state came close to proving a case.

A lot of people have been complaining that Serial didn't provide a definite conclusion. Well, tough. This isn't CSI, where if you examine all the evidence carefully enough, you can solve a case definitively. Welcome to life, folks.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

I haven't heard complaints. I have been hearing praise everywhere for the way it ended.

Sarah Koenig
    So back to Adnanís question. Do I have an ending?

Adnan Syed
    I was just thinking the other day, Iím pretty sure that she has people telling her, ďlook,
    you know this case is-- heís probably guilty. Youíre going crazy trying to find out if heís
    innocent which youíre not going to find because heís guilty.Ē I donít think youíll ever have
    one hundred percent or any type of certainty about it. The only person in the whole world
    who can have that is me. For what itís worth, whoever did it. You know youíll never have
    that, I donít think you will.

Did anyone just stop and think that Adnan finally slipped with these words??!!

Adnan is just screaming his guilt, but will always refuse to confess because he actually knows all the details of that day (Jan. 13 '99). Adnan realizes the original police investigation didn't uncover everything despite Jay providing crucial info, and Koenig still couldn't uncover everything despite the Serial team's heroic efforts to interview anyone remotely connected to the circumstances of the crime.

I'm surprised Koenig had no additional comment or spontaneous reaction to Adnan's above comments. Or I think the Serial team knows exactly what it was doing by putting that clip near the very end and didn't want to comment further.

I hope Serial will make the complete phone conversations (plus transcripts) between Adnan and Koenig on the podcast website in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by hongchihkuo View Post
    Sarah Koenig
    So back to Adnanís question. Do I have an ending?

Adnan Syed
    I was just thinking the other day, Iím pretty sure that she has people telling her, ďlook,
    you know this case is-- heís probably guilty. Youíre going crazy trying to find out if heís
    innocent which youíre not going to find because heís guilty.Ē I donít think youíll ever have
    one hundred percent or any type of certainty about it. The only person in the whole world
    who can have that is me. For what itís worth, whoever did it. You know youíll never have
    that, I donít think you will.

Did anyone just stop and think that Adnan finally slipped with these words??!!

Adnan is just screaming his guilt, but will always refuse to confess because he actually knows all the details of that day (Jan. 13 '99). Adnan realizes the original police investigation didn't uncover everything despite Jay providing crucial info, and Koenig still couldn't uncover everything despite the Serial team's heroic efforts to interview anyone remotely connected to the circumstances of the crime.

I'm surprised Koenig had no additional comment or spontaneous reaction to Adnan's above comments. Or I think the Serial team knows exactly what it was doing by putting that clip near the very end and didn't want to comment further.

I hope Serial will make the complete phone conversations (plus transcripts) between Adnan and Koenig on the podcast website in the future.
    Eh, I didn't hear it that way at all.
    - Barry Manilow

Btw, I like The Savage Lovecast a lot. But fair warning - a lot of the questions begin with things like, "I'm a guy who likes to drink pee..."
    - Barry Manilow

For followers of the Serial podcast, Jay grants an interview to discuss the case:
    https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2...ial-case-pt-1/

There are significant details in his interview that have not appeared in his previous interviews with police or his testimony at trial. I'm still convinced of Adnan's guilt, and this interview serves primarily to back the idea that Adnan is aware the complete details have not been presented and many facts were misrepresented at the original trial and he hopes that can somehow help him gain freedom.

Again for followers of the case chronicled in the Serial podcast, this second part of an interview with Jay is even more informative than part 1:
    https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2...ve-jay-part-2/

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

i listen to an insane amount of podcasts - probably 80 to 100 hours per week when the baseball, NFL & football (soccer) seasons overlap. serial is one of only three that i'd give 5 out of 5. i didn't start listening to it until all 12 episodes had been released so i was able to listen to all twelve in two days. it's the first podcast that is comparable to a page-turner or TV show that you binge watch over a weekend.

outstanding stuff.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Agreed, though I'd say I think he might have done it. I'm not convinced one way or the other, but I don't see how the state came close to proving a case.

A lot of people have been complaining that Serial didn't provide a definite conclusion. Well, tough. This isn't CSI, where if you examine all the evidence carefully enough, you can solve a case definitively. Welcome to life, folks.
    i'm deeply uncomfortable with him being found guilty given the evidence. for his sake and the justice system's, i hope he at lest gets some kind of appeal or re-trial (i'm don't know how the legal system works from this point forward).

Serial season 2 started yesterday! Odd timing with Christmas and New Years on Thursdays when the show usually comes out, but whatever.

Also, I listened to this Katie Nolan girl on Bill Simmons' podcast. No idea who she is but I just want to say I love her voice. Super sexy.

Serial season 2 started yesterday! Odd timing with Christmas and New Years on Thursdays when the show usually comes out, but whatever.
    They might hav considered changing it from Thursdays to another day, but then podcasts are like dvrs, you can listen to them anytime. In terms of Bergdahl's case, though, their timing is great. Sometime soon, the Army will be deciding whether or not to court-martial him, and if they choose not to (which seems likely), there will be lots of controversy, political posturing, Congressional hearings and so on. It's started already (thanks, Donald, for your well-informed and nuanced appraisal), but it will get worse.

Here are some in my wheelhouse right now:

- Bill Simmons Podcast

- Channel 33 (The Watch, formally Hollywood Prospectus w/ Andy Greenwald and Chris Ryan, Andy also has his own podcast)

-SI Media Podcast w/ Richard Deitsch

- /Filmcast

- The Axe Files w/ David Axelrod

- WTF w/ Marc Maron

- Monday Morning Podcast w/ Bill Burr

- Fargo talks Fargo

-The Nerdist w/ Chris Hardwick

Quote Originally Posted by 21stAmendment View Post
    Here are some in my wheelhouse right now:

- Bill Simmons Podcast

- Channel 33 (The Watch, formally Hollywood Prospectus w/ Andy Greenwald and Chris Ryan, Andy also has his own podcast)

-SI Media Podcast w/ Richard Deitsch

- /Filmcast

- The Axe Files w/ David Axelrod

- WTF w/ Marc Maron

- Monday Morning Podcast w/ Bill Burr

- Fargo talks Fargo

-The Nerdist w/ Chris Hardwick
    I've subscribed to Channel 33 but have yet to listen to an episode. They haven't talked about anything I'm into or have seen. I really like Greenwald and his take on shows but Chris Ryan bugs me.

Nerdist is great. He gets good guests and they talk about a whole multitude of things, not just whatever the celeb is there to plug. Really enjoyed the episode with Bruce Campbell recently and also Daniel Craig.

I recently found a fun podcast called Hello from the Magic Tavern. It's essentially an improv show. The premise is the host fell through a portal to the magical land of Foon and he hosts a weekly podcast talking to the locals. His cohosts include a wizard (Usidore, Wizard of the 12th Realm of Ephysiyies, Master of Light and Shadow, Manipulator of Magical Delights, Devourer of Chaos, Champion of the Great Halls of Terr'akkas. The elves know me as Fiíang Yalok. The dwarves know me as Zoenen Hoogstandjes. I am also known in the Northeast as Gaismunēnas Meistar) and Chunt, a shape shifting badger. Like any good fantasy story there is a good amount of world building and stories that are told one week have repercussions in subsequent episodes. Very clever and fun and only 30-35 minutes an episode which is nice.

https://hellofromthemagictavern.com/

with NFL draft season in progress, channel 33 (as mentioned above) has had a solid podcast on the topic.

equally, pro football focus' podcasts remain excellent.

Serial season 2 started yesterday! .
    Did you, or anyone, make it all the way through? I stopped after the third episode, I think.

Thread Information