+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Re: Let's Talk Podcasts, What Do You Listen To?

Quote Originally Posted by NYDCYankee View Post
    I am totally hooked. Love it.

I think Adnan did it but Jay is totally more involved then we know yet.

Probably my favorite non-comedy podcast ever.
    Yeah, like Sarah has said, the State's case is weak, and it sounds like his lawyer was crappy, but his story is weaker. However, Jay is way more involved and shady than he's letting on.

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    Just caught this about a year late. That looks really fun.
    It was. It's worth starting from the beginning. Then, after a while, I stopped.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Yeah, like Sarah has said, the State's case is weak, and it sounds like his lawyer was crappy, but his story is weaker. However, Jay is way more involved and shady than he's letting on.
    Well it is important to remember that Sarah holds all the information and she is giving it to us in bits and pieces to make this a compelling story (and it is already a fascinating story.)

I think of it as a TV crime procedural, and that means even more evidence is coming and I think a twist. Though it is hard to know, we haven't seen anything like this before, Serial is unprecedented.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    It was. It's worth starting from the beginning. Then, after a while, I stopped.
    Listened to the first four episodes of this today. There were really some great lines.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    Listened to the first four episodes of this today. There were really some great lines.
    The very first item:
    To start things off I’ve been asked to read this brief notice: the city council announces the opening of a new dog park at the corner of Earl and Summerset near the Ralph’s. They would like to remind everyone that dogs are not allowed in the dog park. People are not allowed in the dog park. It is possible you will see hooded figures in the dog park. Do not approach them. Do not approach the dog park. The fence is electrified and highly dangerous. Try not to look at the dog park, and especially do not look for any period of time at the hooded figures. The dog park will not harm you.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    The very first item:
    To start things off I’ve been asked to read this brief notice: the city council announces the opening of a new dog park at the corner of Earl and Summerset near the Ralph’s. They would like to remind everyone that dogs are not allowed in the dog park. People are not allowed in the dog park. It is possible you will see hooded figures in the dog park. Do not approach them. Do not approach the dog park. The fence is electrified and highly dangerous. Try not to look at the dog park, and especially do not look for any period of time at the hooded figures. The dog park will not harm you.
    I love the Sheriff's Secret Police and World Government both running fronts out of used sporting goods stores.
    -Kevin

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

Well it is important to remember that Sarah holds all the information and she is giving it to us in bits and pieces to make this a compelling story (and it is already a fascinating story.)

I think of it as a TV crime procedural, and that means even more evidence is coming and I think a twist. Though it is hard to know, we haven't seen anything like this before, Serial is unprecedented.
    According to her you're wrong.
    http://www.vulture.com/2014/10/seria...t-podcast.html

QUESTION
    After listening to the last episode (Episode Five), it is still impossible to tell whether or not Adnan did it! But the big question is … do you have some idea? It feels like you must know which way you are leaning by now.
    Sarah:
    It’s so funny, that is what everyone keeps saying, and to be honest, it’s driving me crazy. I do not know how this is all going to turn out. I just read a piece on Slate that insisted I have some tricks up my sleeve and am manipulating the audience in some way, and that really couldn’t [be] farther from the truth. I am not playing all of you. If you guys only knew how this is put together. I'm not far ahead of you. Episode Five just aired, and I just did a first draft of Episode Six this afternoon, so I am pretty much creating this thing in real time now. Yes, I could say, there was a point where I thought I knew the truth. And then I found out that I didn't know as much as I thought I did, and I did more reporting, and now I don't know what I don't know again! Are you mad at me? Don't be mad at me!

She has been researching this for a year and she has to have an outline for what episodes are going to be about what.

I love her but I don't necessarily buy what Koenig is saying.

She has been researching this for a year and she has to have an outline for what episodes are going to be about what.

I love her but I don't necessarily buy what Koenig is saying.
    Yeah, if I am understanding what the show is then I would imagine she must have some idea of how it's going to go or she would have no idea whether she even had anything resembling a story or whether she was just going to run into an anti-climactic dead end.
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

So I am a big fan of all the Earwolf stuff. I listen to every Comedy Bang Bang, How Did This Get Made, Professor Blastoff, Hollywood Handbook and Ronna & Beverly. I listen to every U Talkin' U2 To Me and Affirmation with Bob Ducca when they come on and I occasionally listen to Sklarbro Country and Who Charted depending on the guest.

Anyway...

Looks like Earwolf launched a new spinoff site this week called WolfPop, which is headed up by Paul Scherer. Rather than straight up comedy, this network is going to be focusing on pop culture, but there still will be funny people involved.

For example, Scherer is doing a special two week podcast with Sylvester Stallone.
    W. Kamau Bell is doing a podcast about Denzel Washington and his movies.
    Rob Corddrey is doing a podcast on reading aloud the written word (both funny and series) and books in general. They are even going to have a monthly book club. This is based on a UCB show he has.
    There is going to be a podcast called "Maltin on Movies" which obviously is a podcast by Leonard Maltin about movies but it also has Baron Vaughn.
    Happy Sad Confused is joining the network. It apparently is a podcast that has existed for awhile but I hadn't heard about it, which is weird because it is an interview show with huge A List stars like Michael Fassbender, Kristen Stewart and Al Pacino (which I listened to today and enjoyed).
    There is some podcast called Nerd Machine's Picking Favorites with Zachary Levi, who I always enjoyed from Chuck.

There are more shows than that and I assume they will add some stuff along the way, here is a link to the new site: http://wolfpop.com/shows

Good to the last drop CoyoteYankee's Avatar

I've seen Comedy Bang Bang here a couple of times and I've seen some comedians tweet about it. What's the gist of it?
    2016 - At least we won as many postseason games as the Red Sox

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

If I had to pick one favorite, Comedy Bang Bang is my favorite. The basic format is that there is a celebrity guest and then one or two comedians come on and play some kind of character or impression and they all chat and usually play a game. Most of the time it spirals into some truly absurd stuff. It is worth trying out for sure, because some episodes are better than others. Skip the Halloween episode they did, I am not a fan of those.

NYYF Legend

Bump.

Who else is hooked on Serial?

http://serialpodcast.org/
    I just listened to this weeks episode. This podcast is driving me crazy, and I'm afraid it's going to end like that old TV special on Al Capones vault.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey at the Bat View Post
    I just listened to this weeks episode. This podcast is driving me crazy, and I'm afraid it's going to end like that old TV special on Al Capones vault.
    You mean with no resolution?

NYYF Legend

You mean with no resolution?
    Yes, a whole lot of nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey at the Bat View Post
    Yes, a whole lot of nothing.
    But it is already about SO much. It is about the justice system, race, technology, journalism, etc.

This isn't True Detective or some other fake story that you can put a bow on. This is real life with real people and in real life there are no easy answers.

If there is no solid answer as to what happened then the answer is that Adnan is in jail and he is staying there. That is real life.

And fixing this isn't going to be a quick thing, if they stumble on some facts they aren't going to just let Adnan out. There is a process to things and they take time. But this could wind up being a Paradise Lost situation and even that took 25 years or whatever to get the West Memphis 3 out of jail.

NYYF Legend

But it is already about SO much. It is about the justice system, race, technology, journalism, etc.

This isn't True Detective or some other fake story that you can put a bow on. This is real life with real people and in real life there are no easy answers.

If there is no solid answer as to what happened then the answer is that Adnan is in jail and he is staying there. That is real life.

And fixing this isn't going to be a quick thing, if they stumble on some facts they aren't going to just let Adnan out. There is a process to things and they take time. But this could wind up being a Paradise Lost situation and even that took 25 years or whatever to get the West Memphis 3 out of jail.
    It's also about entertainment. I'm thoroughly entertained right now, but if it leads to nothing... if it turns out they were right all along and adnan belongs in jail... then what was the purpose of the story? Twelve weeks to tell us that they had it right in week one?

Well if you are entertained right now, then you have been entertained for 8 episodes.

Then there is the ethical question I have seen on a lot of websites about whether this is something we should be entertained by. Again this is about a real life murder.

As per usual, Alan Sepinwall sums things up nicely.

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...-crime-stories
    This is a true story, and it's not just about whether Adnan did it, but questions of how memories change over time, about the legal process, and about how little it is possible to understand even of something that is true. But the fact that we follow the story in pieces week after week can make "Serial" feel more like one of the dozens of serialized TV mysteries of recent years, and can create in some listeners the expectation that there will be — must be — a satisfying conclusion at the end of this story.

There has been pressure on so many of these TV shows — from something relatively short like the 8 hours of "True Detective" to something long like the 6 seasons of "Lost" — to stick the landing, and a belief that any show that doesn't offer an ending that is both definitive and satisfying has, in retrospect, been a total failure. See the "True Detective" backlash over that show's divisive finale, or see Damon Lindelof's retirement from Twitter after one too many "You owe me six years of my life, a-hole!" tweets.

Unless the Innocence Project lawyers who got involved in the case last week are able to make some miraculous discoveries that Koenig and Snyder couldn't, I'm not expecting "Serial" to conclude with Adnan's tearful release from prison(*). But I think even more than a lot of these TV shows, "Serial" has been very upfront about this being about the journey and not the destination. This story came across Koenig's desk, and she decided to find out what she could about it. And she's presenting that to us in a riveting manner. Like "Breaking Bad," it's demonstrating just how interesting process can be when you really get into the little details, like Koenig and Snyder driving around Baltimore trying to see if the timeline presented in Jay's account of the crime was possible.

Found a new one this week that has hooked me.

www.hearstartup.com

Alex Blumberg formerly of This American Life and Planet Money is starting his own media company centered around podcasts and he's making a podcast to show what it takes to start a business.

After years of reporting on other people's businesses, I decided to start my own.

This show follows what happens next – my difficult journey from man to businessman. It's a classic start-up story, but one that's recorded in real time. I've documented disastrous pitches to investors, difficult conversations with my wife, and tense negotiations with my co-founder. The result is an honest, transparent account of something that happens all the time, but that we can rarely listen in on: starting a business.

Terrific Serial episode today. The first 15 minutes were pretty stunning, and really wrecked Jay's timeline if true.

Terrific Serial episode today. The first 15 minutes were pretty stunning, and really wrecked Jay's timeline if true.
    Yup. She's totally playing with us now. One week convincing us that he must have done it, the next week putting that fire out just enough to make it look like he couldn't have.

Yup. She's totally playing with us now. One week convincing us that he must have done it, the next week putting that fire out just enough to make it look like he couldn't have.

It is masterful really.

I have listened to Serial since it initially started and also listened to Slate's Serial Spoilers podcasts that started after episode 5, and I often share similar reactions as the Slate staff. I have not followed other outside discussions (i.e. reddit) regarding the Serial podcast or done any research in to any publicly available legal documents regarding the case.

I still have no doubt of Adnan's guilt and none of his conversations with Koenig sway my opinion; in fact, I only am truly astonished at his behavior/mannerisms even after all these years. Jay's testimony is inconsistent, but I doubt he (and/or a third party) are framing Adnan.

Quote Originally Posted by hongchihkuo View Post
    I have listened to Serial since it initially started and also listened to Slate's Serial Spoilers podcasts that started after episode 5, and I often share similar reactions as the Slate staff. I have not followed other outside discussions (i.e. reddit) regarding the Serial podcast or done any research in to any publicly available legal documents regarding the case.

I still have no doubt of Adnan's guilt and none of his conversations with Koenig sway my opinion; in fact, I only am truly astonished at his behavior/mannerisms even after all these years. Jay's testimony is inconsistent, but I doubt he (and/or a third party) are framing Adnan.
    Thanks to you guys, I've been completely binging on this. It's taken over my morning and evening commutes, and I'm listening to the next-to-last episode now.

I think it's perfectly possible that Adnan did it, and I don't see any way that Koenig is going to be able to prove otherwise. I also don't see any way that this can be justified as a good prosecution or a good conviction.
    - Barry Manilow

Thread Information