+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gdr 2013?

NYYF Legend

Gdr 2013?

I thought the league worked fairly well last year, but I've heard from one owner that he doesn't intend to return for 2013. How many other owners might be interested in playing again? I'll happily sign up for another go-round, but it's pretty dependent on getting enough turn-out to make it worthwhile.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania
    Mayonnaise is a demanding master.

NYYF HOF

Re: Gdr 2013?

I'm in

Im out. Sorry guys I dont really have the time to devote in order to be a meaningful and active owner. Thanks though.

Forum Regular

I'm in (The Marine Biologists).

Choo Choo Train and Dead Men, Inc. are as well. They work with me.

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

For the record, I'm out...

Forum Regular

So we have how many? Gosh, I loved GDR. Is it the cost? Maybe I can e-mail for a discount code on the league...?

NYYF Legend

My brother's said 'no' (med student; pretty busy), so we have 5 out of 10. We need 5 new owners, really. Can everyone ask around to see if anyone else might want to join? If we can't get another 5 or so in 2 weeks, we should probably call it.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

Iowa Yankee

I'm in again.
    rodg12
    'I'd like to thank to good Lord for making me a Yankee' - Joe D

'My office is at Yankee stadium. Yes, dreams do come true.' - Derek Jeter

NYYF Legend

OK, that's 6. Does anyone know anyone else who might want to join?

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

I have some interest in joining, but I need to know the weird rules you guys got going. I see this is not a standard roto league.

And I know Costanza and I didn't get off on the right foot in the other league so if I'm exiled it's cool. Let me know though, I will join another if this one is out.

I'm out. Sorry.

Okay, league looks like it's not going well. I withdraw.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Okay, league looks like it's not going well. I withdraw.
    In the interest of full disclosure, I was never in to begin with.

Still looks bad though. I PM'd Ben and the league is very light as of now.

2013 NYYFans Fantasy Champ miko's Avatar

I'll join. Just like Steve though, I need the weird stuff explained. There are contracts and stuff and ballpark effects I believe. It is quite in depth. Been looking for another league to get into but very few up here to begin with.

Forum Regular

I'm out guys. I decided to consolidate leagues. I hope you understand. And, Hitman, I don't even know you personally, I'm sure you're a good guy. No problems here.

NYYF Legend

Costanza, are your co-workers still in or out?

I have a max of 7 'in' at the moment with Hitman and Miko, or as low as 3-4 if Costanza's friends are also quitting.

I really liked GDR, but it doesn't seem like there's enough interest to sustain it at this stage. If we can find 2-3 new owners by the end of 3rd March, then I think we're still on. Otherwise . . . anyone up for a free league?

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

Any way to scale it back to standard roto if the interest in this league has gone down? You may get more owners. Just a suggestion. Since you already have the forum set and what-not I'd hate to see it go away.

Forum Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Saxmania View Post
    Costanza, are your co-workers still in or out?

I have a max of 7 'in' at the moment with Hitman and Miko, or as low as 3-4 if Costanza's friends are also quitting.

I really liked GDR, but it doesn't seem like there's enough interest to sustain it at this stage. If we can find 2-3 new owners by the end of 3rd March, then I think we're still on. Otherwise . . . anyone up for a free league?

Be seeing you,

Saxmania
    I will ask them tonight, but I'm pretty sure they'd still be in.

Forum Regular

Ya know, I apologize. I still haven't asked them. One moved away to Colorado and his wife just had a baby, and I introduced the other to GDR, so he may not stick if he hears I'm leaving. I loved GDR; I was in 11 leagues last year and trying to slow down a bit to coach Little League and all.

So sorry. I can't imagine forum members wouldn't have a great time and a league is, what, like $10 a player? I can't recall.

Forum Regular

I will get a final decision from both tonight - if you guys are serious about playing GDR this year?

NYYF Legend

I'm up for it if others are. Tell you what, I'll post something in the other forum for attention.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

Ben, if you send me the rules I would like to look them over before I answer.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Ben, if you send me the rules I would like to look them over before I answer.
    Best thing to do is probably read http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread...g?daysprune=-1

The league as a whole is a relatively straightforward Head to Head league. Only a couple of wrinkles:

1) Your lineup and pitching rotation matters a bit. You get some bonuses in your lineup, e.g. if the player you have hitting 1st gets stolen bases, or if your cleanup hitter hits a HR. In your rotation, only one start per SP counts each week, and you can choose before the week begins. Their 1st start, their 2nd start, or the average of the two? Your pick. (Choose 'average' as the default safe pick if you don't want to mess with this.)

2) You can choose to 'pitch around' one player in the opposing team's lineup. If you do, that player gets a 20% discount to their points, but the player after them in the lineup gets a 25% bonus. So if I bat Fielder 3rd and Cervelli 4th, my opponent can 'pitch around' Fielder, and might force my score lower for that week. It's entirely optional, though.

The main difference is in signing players - the thread above has a few more details. Essentially, it's a bidding process, but you don't always know what other teams are bidding on the same player, or what they've bid. Players are on the market for 1-2 days, and during that time, you can bid on them, or amend an existing bid. Players will sign with the 'best' offer at the end of their time on the market.

Complicating this is 'GM rating' - every time you make a bid that a player accepts as the 'best', your GM rating goes up. As it does, you can see more info on what your competition are doing. If you withdraw or change a bid late on, or make a bid you can't follow through on (because your payroll is full, for example), it goes down.

I won't lie - it's more complex than a draft, or even an auction. But it's also better, you don't have to be online at a particular time of day, and it's fun when you get into it. It also makes a lot more sense after the first few bids go in.

Feel free to ask questions - I've done this a few times now. It's a really clever system. And once the year starts, most of the complexity goes away.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

whoa....

Thread Information