+ Reply to Thread
Page 118 of 138 FirstFirst ... 18 68 108 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 128 ... LastLast
Results 2,926 to 2,950 of 3442

Thread: Sooo...Today...

Re: Sooo...Today...

J. Geils found dead in Massachusetts home

http://www.wcvb.com/article/guitaris...s-home/9263211

GROTON, Massachusetts —
    5 Investigates has learned John Warren Geils Jr., the artist known professionally as J. Geils and part of the rock group The J. Geils Band, was found dead in his Groton, Massachusetts home.

He was 71.

Geils and the band are best known for their album, "Freeze Frame" and the song "Centerfold," which hit No. 1 for six weeks.

Geils formed the band during his time at Worcester Polytechnic Institute, where he studied mechanical engineering.

At Worcester, he formed J. Geils Blues Band with Danny Klein, Magic Dick Salwitz, Stephen Jo Bladd, and Peter Wolf, with Seth Justman becoming the last member before the band released its debut album in 1970.
    The presidency doesn't change who you are. It reveals who you are. First Lady Michelle Obama (2015)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BRenninger View Post

GROTON, Massachusetts —
    5 Investigates has learned John Warren Geils Jr., the artist known professionally as J. Geils and part of the rock group The J. Geils Band, was found dead in his Groton, Massachusetts home.

He was 71.

Geils and the band are best known for their album, "Freeze Frame" and the song "Centerfold," which hit No. 1 for six weeks.

Geils formed the band during his time at Worcester Polytechnic Institute, where he studied mechanical engineering.

At Worcester, he formed J. Geils Blues Band with Danny Klein, Magic Dick Salwitz, Stephen Jo Bladd, and Peter Wolf, with Seth Justman becoming the last member before the band released its debut album in 1970.
    I saw them at the old Asbury Park Convention Hall (Springsteen was the lead-in group!). It was the LOUDEST concert of all the many shows I saw in my life. I was there for Bruce, not J. Geils, and they really were not a group I liked that much. RIP.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

The J. Geils Band were the quintessential party band fusing R&B with rock and roll like few others. The band you'd want to hire for your keg party. The first live recording LP I ever bought was their '76 double LP, "Blow Your Face Out".

Just kept it simple, stupid. Oh and Peter Wolf.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    The J. Geils Band were the quintessential party band fusing R&B with rock and roll like few others. The band you'd want to hire for your keg party. The first live recording LP I ever bought was their '76 double LP, "Blow Your Face Out".

Just kept it simple, stupid. Oh and Peter Wolf.

"Looking For a Love" was good. After that, eh.

Oh, and there were kind of a lot of bands that fused R&B with rock and roll successfully, though they tended to be British.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    "Looking For a Love" was good. After that, eh.

Oh, and there were kind of a lot of bands that fused R&B with rock and roll successfully, though they tended to be British.
    Most of that stuff were straightforward, four on the floor stompers. I loved it. And yeah, I hear the Brit bands weren't really responsive to requests to play parties stateside though.

CHARLIE MURPHY
    DEAD AT 57
    After Leukemia Battle
    http://www.tmz.com/2017/04/12/charli...urphy-brother/

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

He can hang out with Prince & Rick James again.

Good to the last drop CoyoteYankee's Avatar

So sad about this. I'm going to watch some Chappelle Show in tribute.
    2017 - Better than expected!

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

Sad news. Way too young. It also said his wife died of cervical cancer in 2009. How awful for his children.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BRenninger View Post

GROTON, Massachusetts —

He was 71.

Saw him open for Bob Seger in 2014.
    Posts in invisible key strokes

Most of that stuff were straightforward, four on the floor stompers. I loved it. And yeah, I hear the Brit bands weren't really responsive to requests to play parties stateside though.

The J. Geils Band played at your parties?
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

The J. Geils Band played at your parties?
    No, but [seriously, true story]...The J. Geils Band were somewhat legendary in New England, and they were responsive to a friend's inquiry about playing her wedding in New Hampshire (this was back in '97). Alas, the dates wouldn't align, so my friend wound up going with the the band that was 'Til Tuesday (minus Aimee Mann, of course).

After the band took their first break during the wedding reception, one of the guys in the band approached the bar I was in line to get a drink..

"You guys sound really good!"

"Thanks man."

"So...What's Aimee Mann doing these days?"

"What's YOUR ex-girlfriend doing these days?"

"I guess you get tired of that question, huh..."

And then he went with the rest of the band behind their van to get high, comforted in the knowledge he shot down yet another pesky question about their former lead singer with the spiked hair...My memory's a little foggy, but I'm pretty sure we got high with the band later that evening. But hush-hush on that one..

Dan Rooney, 84, President/Owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers, Ambassador to Ireland during Barack Obama's administration.
    Best known for pushing the NFL to hire qualified minority coaches.
    RIP
    The presidency doesn't change who you are. It reveals who you are. First Lady Michelle Obama (2015)

No, but [seriously, true story]...The J. Geils Band were somewhat legendary in New England, and they were responsive to a friend's inquiry about playing her wedding in New Hampshire (this was back in '97). Alas, the dates wouldn't align, so my friend wound up going with the the band that was 'Til Tuesday (minus Aimee Mann, of course).

After the band took their first break during the wedding reception, one of the guys in the band approached the bar I was in line to get a drink..

"You guys sound really good!"

"Thanks man."

"So...What's Aimee Mann doing these days?"

"What's YOUR ex-girlfriend doing these days?"

"I guess you get tired of that question, huh..."

And then he went with the rest of the band behind their van to get high, comforted in the knowledge he shot down yet another pesky question about their former lead singer with the spiked hair...My memory's a little foggy, but I'm pretty sure we got high with the band later that evening. But hush-hush on that one..
    Nice story. I was both a big J. Geils and Aimee Mann fan. Especially Mann, but didn't know she started with that band. I'll have to check them out.
    It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    Nice story. I was both a big J. Geils and Aimee Mann fan. Especially Mann, but didn't know she started with that band. I'll have to check them out.
    Oh yeah. Aimee Mann was essentially 'Til Tuesday', and once she left, they were reduced to playing relatively expensive weddings.

Seventy Five years ago today, 80 brave heroes boarded 16 B-25 Mitchell Bombers, and took off from the USS Hornet. Led by Jimmy Doolittle, their mission was to demonstrate that the United States, just four months after Pearl harbor, could bring the battle to the Japanese. The raid didn't damage any high-value military targets, but it significantly raised American morale, and caused some questions among the Japanese people about their leadership.

Only one of the B-25s landed. They needed to take off much earlier than anticipated after the carrier was spotted, and didn't have fuel enough to reach their planned landing sites in China. 77 of the crew members survived the mission. Eight were captured, with three of these dying in captivity.

Richard Cole of Dayton is the only surviving Doolittle Raider.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    Seventy Five years ago today, 80 brave heroes boarded 16 B-25 Mitchell Bombers, and took off from the USS Hornet. Led by Jimmy Doolittle, their mission was to demonstrate that the United States, just four months after Pearl harbor, could bring the battle to the Japanese. The raid didn't damage any high-value military targets, but it significantly raised American morale, and caused some questions among the Japanese people about their leadership.

Only one of the B-25s landed. They needed to take off much earlier than anticipated after the carrier was spotted, and didn't have fuel enough to reach their planned landing sites in China. 77 of the crew members survived the mission. Eight were captured, with three of these dying in captivity.

Richard Cole of Dayton is the only surviving Doolittle Raider.
    One of the most important consequences of the raid was that it helped set in motion the Japanese move towards Midway. With the raid having been launched from a carrier group, the Japanese desired a showdown with the American carriers so that they could destroy the ability of the US to wage any kind of offensive action. And with the Japanese move to Midway, it effectively ended with critical damage to the IJN which they were never able to recover from.

Aaron Hernandez commits suicide reportedly

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/19/us/aar....html?adkey=bn
    Quote Originally Posted by DEADSOX
    We won, stop bitching. Bitches.
    This Administration reminds me of Reservoir Dogs...Evil white guys in suits, few roles for women and Mr. Orange lies through the whole thing.

NYYF Legend

He'll be missed.
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

242 years ago.

"By the rude bridge that arched the flood,
    Their flag to April’s breeze unfurled,
    Here once the embattled farmers stood ...
    And fired the shot heard round the world."

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

242 years ago.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Oops, that means I missed yesterday:

Listen, my children, and you shall hear
    Of the midnight ride of Paul Revere,
    On the eighteenth of April, in Seventy-Five:
    Hardly a man is now alive
    Who remembers that famous day and year.

Except Muggs.

-Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, published in the Atlantic Monthly, January, 1861.
    - Barry Manilow

Except Muggs.
    Well done.

- President Barack Obama

242 years ago.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by DrNick View Post
    Aaron Hernandez commits suicide reportedly

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/19/us/aar....html?adkey=bn
    Wow. That poor daughter of his. She had to be in the courtroom while he was going through his trial and now her dad takes his life. She is going to be screwed up mentally for a long time.
    ”What people call love is just a chemical reaction that compels animals to breed. It hits hard, Morty, then it slowly fades.”

Erin Moran, Best Known as Happy Days' Joanie Cunningham, Has Died at 56

http://people.com/celebrity/happy-da...as-died-at-56/

Thread Information