+ Reply to Thread
Page 154 of 157 FirstFirst ... 54 104 144 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 LastLast
Results 3,826 to 3,850 of 3904

Thread: Sooo...Today...

Re: Sooo...Today...

The Longest Yard was great.
    The presidency doesn't change who you are. It reveals who you are. First Lady Michelle Obama (2015)

Hope is eternal

When I lived in Florida in Jupiter, Burt Reynolds was in often. Nice guy.
    Trading insults is a waste of time. Persuade why someone should see your point.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Gleason was hysterical in that movie.

82 is young these days.
    Average U.S. life expectancy is 78.7. Lower than other developed nations. My grandma is 88 and healthy, so she's doing pretty well.
    I am not free while any woman is unfree, even when her shackles are very different from my own.

--Audre Lorde

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar

Gleason was hysterical in that movie.

82 is young these days.
    You would've thought that any other great actor who had played Ralph Kramden, the lead role in The Hustler, and also Life of Reilly, would have run out of other off-the-charts roles, this time as a supporting character as Smokey.

Between all the other truckers called up on the CB radio, switching lanes to block Smokey, to allow Burt's escape, then Gleason's insistence that he was the law, which was to be upheld. That was the PERFECT way to keep that funny movie going.

THEN when the movie ended as the roof or something of the car is chopped off as Smokey fumed some hilarious rant to no end, as Burt and Sally Field drove off. Wow.

---------

I remember Burt saying that he made some big mistake with Sally Field. Maybe he wanted to marry her? Sally said he will always be a part of her history, but I'm not sure if that is in a good or not so good way.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Aretha Franklin; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J; Smokin' Joe

NYYF Legend

"Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

NYYF Legend

RIP Turd Ferguson

Bill Daily, a/k/a Major Healey on I Dream of Jeannie, 91. Just Barbara Eden left from that show, I think.
    Let the kids play.

Bill Daily, a/k/a Major Healey on I Dream of Jeannie, 91. Just Barbara Eden left from that show, I think.
    He also played a similar part on The Bob Newhart Show, but every time I saw him there I still thought of him as Major Healey.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

91 is a good run.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Go back to Cali, Cali, Cali ArodEra's Avatar

This is what it sounds like when doves (and Metallica) die.

I'm still cringing.

NYYF Legend

Marty Balin, a patron of the 1960s "San Francisco Sound" both as founder and lead singer of the Jefferson Airplane and co-owner of the club where the Airplane and other Bay Area bands performed, has died. He was 76.
    https://www.nbcchicago.com/entertain...494663481.html

A real force in early psychedelic rock. RIP.

Grace just does the backup on this song.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    https://www.nbcchicago.com/entertain...494663481.html

A real force in early psychedelic rock. RIP.
    Oh, yeah. The other lead vocalist for the Airplane.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Oh, yeah. The other lead vocalist for the Airplane.
    "Every time I did something, it was always Grace Slick and the Airplane and Grace Slick and the Starship," he told Relix magazine in 1993. "Even if it was my voice. I've even done songs of mine on my own and people come up to me and say, 'I'm surprised you do that song. I always thought it was Grace's.' For a while that hurt my feelings, but there's nothing I can do about it."
    --Marty Balin

--Marty Balin
    We had an argument here a few years ago about just that. In one of JDPNYY's QOD contests, someone nominated the Airplane as one of the best bands led by a female singer. I made the case that she split duties with Balín, who was just as much the lead singer. JDPNYY agreed.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    We had an argument here a few years ago about just that. In one of JDPNYY's QOD contests, someone nominated the Airplane as one of the best bands led by a female singer. I made the case that she split duties with Balín, who was just as much the lead singer. JDPNYY agreed.
    I'm not going down that rabbit hole. Go ask Alice.

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Surrealistic Pillow is one of my favorite LPs of all time. Balin’s vox on a few of those tracks remind me of what was going on around that time in England (think Lindisfarne, early Hawkwind, Fairport Convention), and he provided a good counterbalance to Slick’s vox as well. Mama’s & Papa’s sorta stuff.

Aaaaaand let me just add this: Jorma Kaukonen’s work on Embryonic Journey? Effortlessly impossible, and just the perfect segue into White Rabbit.

Rest in peace, Marty.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Surrealistic Pillow is one of my favorite LPs of all time. Balin’s vox on a few of those tracks remind me of what was going on around that time in England (think Lindisfarne, early Hawkwind, Fairport Convention), and he provided a good counterbalance to Slick’s vox as well. Mama’s & Papa’s sorta stuff.

Aaaaaand let me just add this: Jorma Kaukonen’s work on Embryonic Journey? Effortlessly impossible, and just the perfect segue into White Rabbit.

Rest in peace, Marty.
    Pillow was the third album I ever bought, and the oldest one I am still (very) proud to own. (The first two were forgettable.)

Just so we don't agree totally on something and cause a rift in the space/time continuum, Fairport's first album was not released until 1968, so they were a little later.

NYYF Legend

I'm not going down that rabbit hole. Go ask Alice.
    You think she'll know?

Paul Allen, 65. Microsoft co-founder.
    The presidency doesn't change who you are. It reveals who you are. First Lady Michelle Obama (2015)

NYYF Legend

Dennis Hof https://www.complex.com/life/2018/10...hof-dead-at-72
    Guess Nevada won't be getting a brothel owner in the assembly next month.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Triple Crown

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    He outlived Pathmark.

RIP to a guy we all knew, but never knew his name.
    Do not fear, all we want to do is talk.

Only words, and then your thoughts.

Willie McCovey, 80.
    SF Giant great 1st baseman.
    RIP

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRenninger View Post
    Willie McCovey, 80.
    SF Giant great 1st baseman.
    RIP
    All those kayakers retrieving HR balls in McCovey Cove ... will now turn to teardrops upon his passing.

An honorable man who will be greatly missed.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Aretha Franklin; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J; Smokin' Joe

Remember, remember
    The fifth of November
    The gunpowder treason and plot.
    I know of no reason
    Why the gunpowder treason
    Should ever be forgot.

Thread Information