+ Reply to Thread
Page 117 of 130 FirstFirst ... 17 67 107 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 127 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,925 of 3231

Thread: Sooo...Today...

Re: Sooo...Today...

Lou Duva was a legend in boxing. He managed and trained many champs. Main Events was one of the most powerful companies in the sport.

Among his many champs, he was also known for coming so very close to a couple of huge upset wins. Meldrick Taylor just had to stay on his feet to take Julio Cesar Chavez's title and got KO'ed with a couple of seconds left. Andrew Golota had an easy win against champion Riddick Bowe but inexplicably, couldn't control the low blows and got disqualified.

RIP to an icon in the sport.
    It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

James Cotton, 81. Blues harmonica. Was the best ever.
    RIP
    The presidency doesn't change who you are. It reveals who you are. First Lady Michelle Obama (2015)

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    Lou Duva was a legend in boxing. He managed and trained many champs. Main Events was one of the most powerful companies in the sport.

Among his many champs, he was also known for coming so very close to a couple of huge upset wins. Meldrick Taylor just had to stay on his feet to take Julio Cesar Chavez's title and got KO'ed with a couple of seconds left. Andrew Golota had an easy win against champion Riddick Bowe but inexplicably, couldn't control the low blows and got disqualified.

RIP to an icon in the sport.
    Sounds great. I'd followed Lou Duva on and off for many years, but not continuously. I was more into the boxers than the promoters.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post

Among his many champs, he was also known for coming so very close to a couple of huge upset wins. Meldrick Taylor just had to stay on his feet to take Julio Cesar Chavez's title and got KO'ed with a couple of seconds left.
    Sorta
    Conservatives want live babies so they can raise them to be dead soldiers- George Carlin

Legendary Newspaper Columnist Jimmy Breslin Dead at 87

http://time.com/4706200/newspaper-co...alflow_twitter

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post

Here's another great link: http://nypost.com/2017/03/19/pulitze...in-dies-at-86/

One of the best hard-nosed reporters whose columns I've ever read. He definitely was one of the great ones.

One of the footnotes in his career, which thankfully didn't define him, was that Al Berkowitz, the much villianized "Son of Sam" convict, wrote directly to Jimmy Breslin when he (Son of Sam) was on the loose, shooting blond-haired teen girls in Bensonhurst/Bath Beach, Brooklyn around 1977.

Breslin put that into his articles, since it was Berkowitz who'd written to him, the only journalist he'd contacted. In the end, Jimmy was correct in that the so-called .44 caliber killer (who used a Charter Firearms "Bulldog" (snub-nosed) 5- or 6-shot revolver) would likely be caught with a parking ticket. Yep, cops trailing every single buyer of that weapon, make their catch when Berkowitz got a ticket near and around the time when one of the shootings took place.

An army of cops surrounded Berkowitz' vehicle to catch him ... on his way, heavily armed, to shoot up a club. Berkowitz remains the only person I've ever heard of who was brought into court in an armored car. That's how much he was despised.

Thank you very much, Jimmy Breslin. I read my father's copy of the NY Daily News, often to read your articles. You will be greatly missed.

R-I-P
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post

Remember Jimmy from Goodfellas (Robert DeNiro's character)? He hated Breslin for writing critical articles about him. That's what I remember about him, along with him being single handedly responsible for me drinking Piels when I was broke.

It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

David Rockefeller, the last surviving grandson of John D. - which is to say, the last of the real Rockefellers - died at age 101.

I grew up not far from the main Rockefeller estate in Pocantico Hills. When I was a teenager, I used to love driving the narrow, winding road that went through parts of the estate. At one point there was a driveway with a plain metal mailbox on a post. The mailbox read, "DAVID ROCKEFELLER." I thought that was kind of cool, for the billionaire chairman of the Chase Manhattan Bank.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    David Rockefeller, the last surviving grandson of John D. - which is to say, the last of the real Rockefellers - died at age 101.

I grew up not far from the main Rockefeller estate in Pocantico Hills. When I was a teenager, I used to love driving the narrow, winding road that went through parts of the estate. At one point there was a driveway with a plain metal mailbox on a post. The mailbox read, "DAVID ROCKEFELLER." I thought that was kind of cool, for the billionaire chairman of the Chase Manhattan Bank.
    Did you knock it over?
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Did you knock it over?
    I would have been having too much fun driving way too fast in my Dad's Mercedes sports car to stop for that. I knew every inch of that stretch of road by heart, so I could take the tightest turns with just a well-timed tap on the brakes.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

‘Gong Show’ creator Chuck Barris dies at 87
    http://nypost.com/2017/03/22/gong-sh...ntent=20170322

It's been a bad few days for guys called Chuck.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

RIP Hitman.
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    It's been a bad few days for guys called Chuck.
    These things come in threes. Chuck Norris better watch out.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    These things come in threes. Chuck Norris better watch out.
    Maybe we should start a Chuck death pool?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Maybe we should start a Chuck death pool?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck
    Looking at that list it appears Chuck Yeager is the oldest living Chuck on it.

Back in the late 70s there was a Gong Show tour using local celebrities. They came to Siena College where I was going to school. A bunch of us musicians put together a Blues Brothers act and won. I was hammered at the time, but mostly I remember it being a lot of fun.
    Let the kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Back in the late 70s there was a Gong Show tour using local celebrities. They came to Siena College where I was going to school. A bunch of us musicians put together a Blues Brothers act and won. I was hammered at the time, but mostly I remember it being a lot of fun.
    Of course it was. You were hammered at the time.
    - Barry Manilow

Roger Wilkins, 85, Pulitzer Prize winning journalist for editorials on Watergate.
    RIP

*RW would have a field day with this mess in DC today*
    The presidency doesn't change who you are. It reveals who you are. First Lady Michelle Obama (2015)

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Gilbert Baker, the San-Francisco-based artist who created the rainbow flag as a symbol for the gay community, has died aged 65, US media report.

The San Francisco Chronicle said Mr Baker died in his sleep at his home in New York on Thursday night.

He initially designed an eight-colour flag in 1978 for the city's gay freedom day, the precursor to the modern pride parade.

A candlelight vigil is planned for Friday evening in San Francisco.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39462530
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

I woke up this morning to the joyous news that the UCONN Women and that smug ass Geno Auriemma lost last night. What great news to start the day.

William Coleman died on March 31. He was 96......a really good run.

Coleman was a lifelong Republican, and a champion of civil rights. He wrote the primary brief for Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka, was co-counsel for Loving v. Virginia, and was the second African American to head a cabinet department (Secretary of Transportation, under President Ford).

He's a bit of a historical footnote, but to have been a significant contributor to both Brown and Loving should put him on a civil rights pedestal. RIP.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

Not the Yankee Paul O'Neill, the Savatage/Trans Siberian Orchestra Paul O'Neill (RIP)

http://bravewords.com/news/trans-sib...is-heartbroken

Don Rickles dead at 90.

Billie Holiday would have been 102 today. I considered posting "Strange Fruit" because it's beautiful, haunting and important, or "All of Me" because it's probably the single best collaboration with Lester Young. But I'll go with this, because I like it.

- Barry Manilow

Thread Information