+ Reply to Thread
Page 108 of 130 FirstFirst ... 8 58 98 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 118 ... LastLast
Results 2,676 to 2,700 of 3240

Thread: Sooo...Today...

Re: Sooo...Today...

I have no issue with the death penalty when the case is cut and dried. However aren't appeals up the judiciary chain mandatory in all death penalty cases? I think I read a couple years ago that appeals are more costly than life in prison ... like millions of $. I could be wrong but that's my recollection. If that's true, just let him rot for 70 years in solitary. I don't really care if that's cruel and unusual punishment. But if my assumption is wrong, the firing squad will suffice.

Edit: Now that I think of it, if the snively little turd doesn't want to appeal even if it is mandatory, maybe just one appeal denied by the lowest court would be all that is required saving us a lot of money.

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Skowron View Post
    I have no issue with the death penalty when the case is cut and dried. However aren't appeals up the judiciary chain mandatory in all death penalty cases? I think I read a couple years ago that appeals are more costly than life in prison ... like millions of $. I could be wrong but that's my recollection. If that's true, just let him rot for 70 years in solitary. I don't really care if that's cruel and unusual punishment. But if my assumption is wrong, the firing squad will suffice.

Edit: Now that I think of it, if the snively little turd doesn't want to appeal even if it is mandatory, maybe just one appeal denied by the lowest court would be all that is required saving us a lot of money.
    I'd much rather that he hung or fried by the chair.

As to cost, I'm not sure what the appeals process would be (especially since he has represented himself during the trial and may have to be forced to use counsel on appeal), but with all the costs to feed, protect, house a criminal, including potential law suits brought up by the convicts (who carefully study the appeals process using the books the prison library allows them to use), you could be looking at some heavy expenses there.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

The Circus died today (or at least its death was announced).

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...01-15-02-07-10

THE BIG TOP COMES DOWN: RINGLING BROS. CIRCUS IS CLOSING
    BY TAMARA LUSH ASSOCIATED PRESS

ELLENTON, Fla. (AP) -- After 146 years, the curtain is coming down on "The Greatest Show on Earth." The owner of the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus told The Associated Press that the show will close forever in May.
    My parents took me to see it at MSG (the old one) when I was in grade school. A treasured memory. Then in the early 70s, during winter break, the little island my mother lived on in Florida would borrow the island school bus and set up an open bar in the back, and pack it with all ages. We'd make the trek up to Sarasota to watch the rehearsal shows at the home base there.

I know--animals--but I'm sad it's gone.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

I took my kids to the show about 20 years ago. I was more impressed with the trapeze folks than anything else, but left feeling bad for the animals, and not just the elephants. I'm not the activist type, but would never go back and support that kind of act. The experience did pay off though...I manage a bunch of race horses and they spend a lot of time roaming in fields and having fun. Most of them like racing as well, and I didn't get the same feeling watching the circus animals.
    Let the kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post

My parents took me to see it at MSG (the old one) when I was in grade school. A treasured memory. Then in the early 70s, during winter break, the little island my mother lived on in Florida would borrow the island school bus and set up an open bar in the back, and pack it with all ages. We'd make the trek up to Sarasota to watch the rehearsal shows at the home base there.

I remember going to the old Garden, too, to see the circus. I don't remember much other than being scared to death I was going to fall out of my seat in the upper balcony.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

We took the kids to see it at MSG about 10-12 years ago. When I was a kid, there were always three rings of entertainment going on at once. Last time, it seemed like everything was a featured act, with only one thing at a time going on.
    Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's
    2016 NYYFans.com Fantasy Baseball League Champjons

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    We took the kids to see it at MSG about 10-12 years ago. When I was a kid, there were always three rings of entertainment going on at once. Last time, it seemed like everything was a featured act, with only one thing at a time going on.
    Sounds like a gosh darn three ring circus. No wonder they're going out of business.
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

I remember going to MSG to see the circus as a kid. what I remember most was wishing it was a Rangers game instead.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Sounds like a gosh darn three ring circus. No wonder they're going out of business.
    I found the three-ring thing very frustrating. I always felt as though I was watching the wrong thing at the wrong time, and missing the dramatic moment in the other ring.

That's without talking about the maddeningly distracting clowns running around the outside. What were they thinking?
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

NYYF Legend

I found the three-ring thing very frustrating. I always felt as though I was watching the wrong thing at the wrong time, and missing the dramatic moment in the other ring.

That's without talking about the maddeningly distracting clowns running around the outside. What were they thinking?
    I hated the circus. I put it up there with Parades and the Radio City Christmas Show.

Things I couldn't wait to end.

I just focused on what ring had the most scantily clad female circus performer.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

I hated the circus. I put it up there with Parades and the Radio City Christmas Show.

Nothing goes with those like a nice slice of pie.

i don't know if you're serious or not, but I agree.

And mimes. I hate mimes.

This is fabulous news. I, too, enjoyed it as a kid. But I didn't understand the suffering those animals endured for my entertainment. Wild animals should not be forced to perform. I read this last night and cheered.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    100% serious.

And mimes. I hate mimes.
    And you guys call me old. You two were old cranky men when you were just kids.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I never called you old.

I wasnt cranky, I was bored!

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    This is fabulous news. I, too, enjoyed it as a kid. But I didn't understand the suffering those animals endured for my entertainment. Wild animals should not be forced to perform. I read this last night and cheered.
    Even as a kid, I didn't think the lions, tigers and elephants were the most interesting. The poor old elephants just looked kind of sad. I wish the circus had evolved to where they could have survived without them.

I loved the guy getting shot out of a cannon, the high wire and trapeze stuff, and the bareback stuff. Horse acts are a different category. They've been domestic for thousands of years and the humans were a part of the acrobatics, not just whip-snappers.

Clowns I could do without, but they do add some visual texture.

Even as a kid, I didn't think the lions, tigers and elephants were the most interesting. The poor old elephants just looked kind of sad. I wish the circus had evolved to where they could have survived without them.

I loved the guy getting shot out of a cannon, the high wire and trapeze stuff, and the bareback stuff. Horse acts are a different category. They've been domestic for thousands of years and the humans were a part of the acrobatics, not just whip-snappers.

Yes, I enjoyed the human performers. It's too bad that the circus couldn't evolve into something with solely them.

NYYF Legend

Elephants possess empathy and mourn each others' lost loved ones. I have little doubt that you saw depression and exasperation in those elephants' eyes.

Good riddance to the circus. I mean, I had fun too when my parents took us as kids, but I didn't know any better. A guy I know used to get contracted to do events at the Baltimore Arena. The cages the big cats were forced to exist in, and the chains the elephants were tied down with...Glad I never saw that.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    Yes, I enjoyed the human performers. It's too bad that the circus couldn't evolve into something with solely them.
    The Big Apple Circus tried to be that but they went bankrupt last year too. The animals they had were all rescues and they lived on the owner's farm upstate. It was a not for profit too. PBS did an good documentary on them a few years ago. I think people just aren't interested in that kind of old fashioned family entertainment anymore. I think Cirque du Soleil still does well though.

Superfly Snuka passes at 73 from stomach cancer.

It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

I remember going to the old Garden, too, to see the circus. I don't remember much other than being scared to death I was going to fall out of my seat in the upper balcony.
    Yeah, it felt like I was going to land on top of the Gumper's head. I always leaned back going down the steps.

As for the circus, my parents and grandparents took me to the old Garden which always had a sideshow that freaked me out to some extent.

I remember going to MSG to see the circus as a kid. what I remember most was wishing it was a Rangers game instead.
    Yes! That and being more interested in playing with the flashlight than watching what was happening within 3 rings. The thought of going to the show (probably the way Knicks and Rangers broadcasts promoted it), was more intriguing than the show itself.

Thread Information