+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 869
  1. #76
    NYYF Cy Young


    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Westchester

    Re: Interesting Yankee News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

    Anyone else notice that Gene Monahan is the trainer for Team USA in the WBC? Nice to see him back

    And it's a blast from the past- Joe Torre, Larry Bowa, and Gene Monahan. Little bit of nostalgia here.

  2. #77

    Re: Interesting Yankee News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

    I recognize the guy in the middle, who are the other two manly spanish whisky drinkers?


  3. #78

    Re: Interesting Yankee News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

    Had to Google:

    Don Omar – multi-platinum recording artist, philanthropist, entrepreneur, actor and founder of his own record music label Orfanato Music Group

    Jorge Posada – beloved and legendary former New York Yankee catcher, whose valuable contributions to five World Series Championships made him a five-time All-Star.

    Alex Sensation – one of New York City's most celebrated media personalities, radio hosts and nightlife icons.

  4. #79
    NYYF MVP


    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The Kingdom of Back

    Re: Interesting Yankee News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

    Was very happy to hear John Sterling say that Producer Curtis Sliva was in the booth

    Probably got some funny looks from surrounding fans when I looked up to the booth & clapped. (should carry a transistor instead of wearing earphones. lol)

  5. #80
    NYYF Legend

    -tz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NYC

    Re: Interesting Yankee News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

    That is good news! Hope he was there tonight, too, to see a W.

  6. #81
    NYYF Triple Crown

    StingrayJG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Shelton, CT

    Re: Interesting Yankee News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

    The Fourth Period reported the NHL is close to a deal for a game featuring the Los Angeles Kings at Dodger Stadium. Player agent Allan Walsh tweeted the deal was done and the game likely would take place on Hockey Day in America. The Fourth Period also reported the NHL has been discussing a deal for a game featuring the New York Rangers and would prefer it to be played at Yankee Stadium. Writer Dave Pagnotta hinted at a Hockey Day in America doubleheader.
    NHL wants multiple outdoor games
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...0852--nhl.html
    Jimmy G. (Seniority 03/28/1994)
    1994-2008: Main Res MVP Sec. 14, Row G
    2009: Section 330, Row 6
    2010: Section 233A, Row 20
    2011: Section 229, Row 16 *All Sunday Plans*
    2012: No longer STH, liberated!

  7. #82
    Forum Regular
    BronxBombers92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New York

    Re: Interesting Yankee News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by StingrayJG View Post
    If it makes it to the Bronx I'm there

  8. #83
    NYYF Legend

    GordonGecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York City

    Re: Interesting Yankee News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

    doesn't seem thread worthy but is anyone buying soccer tickets this year? presales are today, I'm going to pass

  9. #84

    Re: Interesting Yankee News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    doesn't seem thread worthy but is anyone buying soccer tickets this year? presales are today, I'm going to pass
    Passed as well.

  10. #85
    NYYF Cy Young

    Sparky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: Interesting Yankee News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NYY_72 View Post
    Passed as well.
    Passing too.

  11. #86
    NYYF Triple Crown

    StingrayJG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Shelton, CT

    Re: Interesting Yankee News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

    Not sure if this was mentioned anywhere else here but, just another classy move by a rare breed we can use a lot more of in professional sports....

    During his final trip around the majors, Rivera, who is retiring at the end of this, his 19th season with the Yankees, is taking time to visit with team employees who work behind the scenes. On Wednesday, Rivera met with 25 Indians employees - ushers, ticket salespersons, custodians and others - for 30 minutes before the Yankees played the Indians.
    They came to say goodbye to Rivera, who answered questions, posed for pictures and handed out autographed baseballs to Clevelanders who seemed in awe of the classy gesture.
    Mariano Rivera thanks Indians employees on final visit there


    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb....ap/index.html
    Jimmy G. (Seniority 03/28/1994)
    1994-2008: Main Res MVP Sec. 14, Row G
    2009: Section 330, Row 6
    2010: Section 233A, Row 20
    2011: Section 229, Row 16 *All Sunday Plans*
    2012: No longer STH, liberated!

  12. #87
    NYYF Legend

    -tz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NYC

    Re: Interesting Yankee News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by StingrayJG View Post
    Not sure if this was mentioned anywhere else here but, just another classy move by a rare breed we can use a lot more of in professional sports....

    Mariano Rivera thanks Indians employees on final visit there


    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb....ap/index.html
    It was actually reported in his performance thread, though I suppose this is the more appropriate forum.

  13. #88
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: Interesting Yankee News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by StingrayJG View Post
    Not sure if this was mentioned anywhere else here but, just another classy move by a rare breed we can use a lot more of in professional sports....

    Mariano Rivera thanks Indians employees on final visit there


    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb....ap/index.html
    I am wondering if this entire season of Mariano's tributes to the fans and employees of other teams warrants its own thread - so far, he has done Detroit & Cleveland, both times with a very classy act.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

  14. #89
    NYYF Legend

    35Knucklecurve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Maryland branches, Pennsylvania roots

    Re: Interesting Yankee News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    I am wondering if this entire season of Mariano's tributes to the fans and employees of other teams warrants its own thread - so far, he has done Detroit & Cleveland, both times with a very classy act.
    Leave it to Mo to think about the people behind the scenes - the ones who probably get the least amount of appreciation and acknowledgement. He's finding ways to make his final trip to each city a celebration without being a media circus. Although the circumstances were different, Ripken's Streak became such a distraction, he had to stay at an undisclosed hotel, away from the rest of the team.

    I wonder if he's planning anything really special for Yankee employees?
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

  15. #90

    Re: Interesting Yankee News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    Leave it to Mo to think about the people behind the scenes - the ones who probably get the least amount of appreciation and acknowledgement. He's finding ways to make his final trip to each city a celebration without being a media circus. Although the circumstances were different, Ripken's Streak became such a distraction, he had to stay at an undisclosed hotel, away from the rest of the team.

    I wonder if he's planning anything really special for Yankee employees?

    I think a separate thread is a great idea--there will be so many great stories!

    Wouldn't it be great if Rivera could meet with some NYY fans and "behind the scenes" Yankees people during some of the homestand games?

  16. #91
    NYYF MVP


    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The Kingdom of Back

    Re: Interesting Yankee News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by njyankeesfan View Post

    Wouldn't it be great if Rivera could meet with some NYY fans and "behind the scenes" Yankees people during some of the homestand games?

    He's probably been doing just that, as his normal routine, for years. Bet he treats all the behind-the-scenes people, and anyone he's encountered on a normal day, like gold.

  17. #92
    NYYF Legend

    theDurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Itu-SP Brasil

    Re: Interesting Yankee News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HerbieLee20 View Post
    He's probably been doing just that, as his normal routine, for years. Bet he treats all the behind-the-scenes people, and anyone he's encountered on a normal day, like gold.
    Safe bet.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

  18. #93
    NYYF Cy Young


    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Westchester

    Re: Interesting Yankee News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

    Yankees and Norton Antivirus? Seriously?


  19. #94
    NYYF Cy Young

    Sparky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: Interesting Yankee News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by yankeesrule View Post
    Yankees and Norton Antivirus? Seriously?

    Does the firewall block SH by default?

  20. #95
    NYYF Cy Young


    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Westchester

    Re: Interesting Yankee News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Does the firewall block SH by default?
    Sadly I can see that being true- trying to load a Yankees StubHub page redirects you to Yankees Ticket Exchange for that game

  21. #96

    Re: Interesting Yankee News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Does the firewall block SH by default?
    ...

  22. #97
    NYYF Cy Young


    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Westchester

    Re: Interesting Yankee News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

    A classy move by the Yankees here (nice to say that for once):

    To pay tribute to the victims of the Boston Marathon bombings, the Yankees will have a special moment of silence and will play Fenway favorite "Sweet Caroline" at the end of the third inning tonight at Yankee Stadium.
    http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/b...9&city=newyork

  23. #98

    Re: Interesting Yankee News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

    Article in this morning's USA Today Sports Weekly (page 21) about the Yankees (i.e. Steinbrenners) refusing to erect a statue of Babe Ruth (while erecting two statues and the infamous plaque of George Steinbrenner). Additionally, the New York City official in charge of statues in City Parks says the City doesn't erect statues of former players. Likewise, the City also has refused to name a field at the Old Yankee Stadium site after Babe Ruth, despite having destroyed the City's officially "permanent" tribute to Babe Ruth - Babe Ruth Memorial Field - to build New Yankee Stadium. What a disgrace.

  24. #99

    Re: Interesting Yankee News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

    Context of article is tomorrow's 90th Anniversary of Old Yankee Stadium, and efforts by fans for commemoration of that anniversary and a tribute to Babe Ruth.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sECzoj0ALL0

  25. #100
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: Interesting Yankee News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFanUSA View Post
    Article in this morning's USA Today Sports Weekly (page 21) about the Yankees (i.e. Steinbrenners) refusing to erect a statue of Babe Ruth (while erecting two statues and the infamous plaque of George Steinbrenner). Additionally, the New York City official in charge of statues in City Parks says the City doesn't erect statues of former players. Likewise, the City also has refused to name a field at the Old Yankee Stadium site after Babe Ruth, despite having destroyed the City's officially "permanent" tribute to Babe Ruth - Babe Ruth Memorial Field - to build New Yankee Stadium. What a disgrace.
    I'm not offended. Well, I'm offended by the Steinbrenner plaque, but not by the decision not to put up a statue of Ruth.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts