Page 1388 of 1388 FirstFirst ... 388 888 1288 1338 1378 1385 1386 1387 1388
Results 34,676 to 34,694 of 34694
    Living Life Outloud yankeeschic12324's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    if it doesn't give you joy....
    *throws whole house away*

Re: Longest Thread Ever 5.0

Follow up.

I had shared a while back that my daughter, the NPS Park Ranger, was on the event logistics team yesterday. Their role was largely to put up signage on the temporary fencing, and to provide food, water, and first aid to the various police and National Guardsmen providing security.

Anyway, at some point after the swearing-in yesterday, she was out in her golf cart, delivering box lunches to the security folks scattered about, and her cohort suddenly yells "Did you see that?" There was a van parked on Pennsylvania Avenue marked 'World Central Kitchen,' Jose Andres' charity, and she was pretty sure Andres himself was behind the wheel. My daughter does a multi-lane sweep of Pennsylvania Ave (something you can't normally do, but when the city is devoid of vehicle traffic, you can, even in a golf cart).

Now, Jose Andres might not be a household name everywhere in the country, but he should be. The man is arguably the premiere chef in America, and he honestly deserves a Nobel Peace Prize for his charitable endeavors. But with a chef in my family, we DEFINITELY know who he is, and have him on a pedestal alongside the best-known entertainers, athletes and rock stars.

World Central Kitchen was ALSO feeding various people yesterday. My daughter started sending people looking for her box lunches over to chef for soup and chili.

Anyway, Chef left with special Inauguration NPS Junior Ranger Badges for his staff, and my daughter has a selfie with Chef Andres. My son, the chef, is jealous beyond words.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by yankeeschic12324 View Post
    *throws whole house away*
    I gave my wife that "get rid of it if it doesn't give you joy" line and she told me I better watch myself because depending upon the day I might find myself in the trash.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    Follow up.

I had shared a while back that my daughter, the NPS Park Ranger, was on the event logistics team yesterday. Their role was largely to put up signage on the temporary fencing, and to provide food, water, and first aid to the various police and National Guardsmen providing security.

Anyway, at some point after the swearing-in yesterday, she was out in her golf cart, delivering box lunches to the security folks scattered about, and her cohort suddenly yells "Did you see that?" There was a van parked on Pennsylvania Avenue marked 'World Central Kitchen,' Jose Andres' charity, and she was pretty sure Andres himself was behind the wheel. My daughter does a multi-lane sweep of Pennsylvania Ave (something you can't normally do, but when the city is devoid of vehicle traffic, you can, even in a golf cart).

Now, Jose Andres might not be a household name everywhere in the country, but he should be. The man is arguably the premiere chef in America, and he honestly deserves a Nobel Peace Prize for his charitable endeavors. But with a chef in my family, we DEFINITELY know who he is, and have him on a pedestal alongside the best-known entertainers, athletes and rock stars.

World Central Kitchen was ALSO feeding various people yesterday. My daughter started sending people looking for her box lunches over to chef for soup and chili.

Anyway, Chef left with special Inauguration NPS Junior Ranger Badges for his staff, and my daughter has a selfie with Chef Andres. My son, the chef, is jealous beyond words.
    Jose Andres is apparently a great chef, and an even better person.

I gave my wife that "get rid of it if it doesn't give you joy" line and she told me I better watch myself because depending upon the day I might find myself in the trash.

Wow Maynerd how exciting your daughter must have felt seeing him! He sounds like a good people.

More Twitter fans than Trump Casey at the Bat's Avatar

Follow up.

That's pretty dang cool. And what Chef Andres has done in the past 10 years to feed people is nothing but remarkable.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Jose Andres is apparently a great chef, and an even better person.
    Quote Originally Posted by yankeeschic12324
    He sounds like a good people.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Andr%C3%A9s

His list of culinary awards is impressive, but it's exceeded by his list of humanitarian awards. The man is a saint.

I've been to Jaleo (in DC), Zaytinya, and Bazaar Meat. I doubt he was anywhere near the kitchen for any of those adventures, but it's still his brand, and each experience was incredible. One of these days, we're going to get to minibar.

But it's his efforts in Haiti, Puerto Rico, Africa and Central America that lead to the National Humanities Medal and a Nobel nomination.

And yes, my daughter was beside herself with getting not only to meet him, but to interact with him for more than a few minutes. [My son the chef is still pouting.]

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Follow up.

That's a cool story and he sounds like a rad human. Nice.

"Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Saturday I’m driving my parents to Florida. My dad (nearly 90) has trouble with the cold weather. Their home in Florida is better suited for them. One story, a garage, a few steps to the front door. All things they don’t have in NJ.

So we planned this out. January is a tough time for me to get away (payroll, you know).

I was hoping weather would not get in the way of this. The trip down (with one overnight stay) looks good for this weekend.

My wife and I will share the driving. Then we’ll stay a few days to get them set back up down there. Then come back the next Friday or Saturday.

Not looking forward to the two drives. But it will be nice to go someplace else (even though we won’t go out down there either). Plus a week off from work will be more than welcomed.

So anyway. No snow for the next 12 days or so will make me happy.
    Where do you typically stop for the evening on the way down / way back up?

I do the Baltimore to Palm Beach Gardens, FL drive a few times a year. Usually stop at the Hyatt Place in Pooler, GA on the way down, and then on the way back whatever decent place I can nab in Fayetteville, NC (or Greensboro if I coordinate a stop over with friends).
    “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

How is your life today ? JDPNYY's Avatar
    Sometimes I feel like my sell by date expired yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post

I do the Baltimore to Palm Beach Gardens, FL drive a few times a year. Usually stop at the Hyatt Place in Pooler, GA on the way down, and then on the way back whatever decent place I can nab in Fayetteville, NC (or Greensboro if I coordinate a stop over with friends).
    We have a hotel in Fayetteville booked for the way down. Playing the trip back by ear. We may take our time and stay over 2 nights.

You have about a 3 hour head start on my on the way down, (it takes me about 3 hours to get to Baltimore) but then you are about an hour further south in Florida than I go.
    He finally met himself, coming down an up-staircase, and the encounter was crushing.

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post

We have a hotel in Fayetteville booked for the way down. Playing the trip back by ear. We may take our time and stay over 2 nights.

You have about a 3 hour head start on my on the way down, (it takes me about 3 hours to get to Baltimore) but then you are about an hour further south in Florida than I go.
    I was lucky...I used to do NJ to Daytona Beach for college but I have an aunt who lives just outside Raleigh where I'd stop for the night. Saved me quite a bit of money.

How is your life today ? JDPNYY's Avatar
    Sometimes I feel like my sell by date expired yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees View Post
    I was lucky...I used to do NJ to Daytona Beach for college but I have an aunt who lives just outside Raleigh where I'd stop for the night. Saved me quite a bit of money.
    Nice.
    He finally met himself, coming down an up-staircase, and the encounter was crushing.

I hate driving long distances. My wife on the other hand, loves driving. She should have been a longhaul truck driver.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

I hate driving long distances. My wife on the other hand, loves driving. She should have been a longhaul truck driver.
    I like driving long distances, but I also stop every 1.5-2 hours to stretch/use the bathroom/get a drink which drives most people nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees View Post
    I like driving long distances, but I also stop every 1.5-2 hours to stretch/use the bathroom/get a drink which drives most people nuts.
    I can't stand being in an airline for more than 3 hours, either. After 3 hours I want to find a parachute and jump out the exit door.

NYYF Legend

The trick for me is leaving late enough in the AM out of Baltimore to hit the 95 expressway in NoVA after it switches to southbound. It saves me at least an hour by avoiding traffic.

If I’m traveling with my wife (not always a given since her family is in MD), pre-pandemic we typically would coordinate a stopover in either Savannah or St. Augustine. Both are fantastic towns (Chucktown/Charleston, too for that matter)...
    “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

I'm with you. I hate being in cars for long periods of time.
    "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

It might snow at my house early next week. I NEED THIS.

I know you all think I'm weird and that's OK. I've accepted it.

Thread Information