+ Reply to Thread
Page 1377 of 1379 FirstFirst ... 377 877 1277 1327 1367 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 1379 LastLast
Results 34,401 to 34,425 of 34452
    Living Life Outloud yankeeschic12324's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees View Post
    I hear Montana is lovely in December.
    I mean... for $10k/week it canít be that bad right lol.

Re: Longest Thread Ever 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by yankeeschic12324 View Post
    *puts on "I Love Helena!" t-shirt*

*puts on "I Love Helena!" t-shirt*

Uh, please tell me you're going.
    "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Sign a one-week contract!

I've heard good things about Bozeman. Butte, not desirable.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

Morning......1st significant snowfall today.....

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I'd go with Missoula. Also a college town, but twice the size and a much better college.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow
    Person, woman, man, camera, TV

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I'd go with Missoula. Also a college town, but twice the size and a much better college.
    Depends on how much the outdoorsy element means to you. Montana natives tend to lean Bozeman for that reason, but outsiders like Missoula for the reasons you stated. I could be completely content for a summer in towns on the north side of Flathead Lake, like Big Fork. Decent amount of breweries in all of those, plus Whitefish and Kalispell. Burgers that taste a little closer to the source.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey at the Bat View Post
    Sign a one-week contract!
    I wish! They are requiring minimum 2wk contracts. Plus I already went to Texas in sept for a covid crisis contract and honestly missed my son so much I donít think I can do another contract unless theyíre (husband and son) with me.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    Uh, please tell me you're going.

Nah Iím not that hungry. I would miss my son too much.

You're a Butte, not desirable.
    "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Nah Iím not that hungry. I would miss my son too much.
    I totally get that. <3

I totally get that. <3
    More than anything, I am burned out. All of us are.

Who names a town Missoula?
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

You're a Butte, not desirable.
    hmmmmph

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Depends on how much the outdoorsy element means to you. Montana natives tend to lean Bozeman for that reason, but outsiders like Missoula for the reasons you stated. I could be completely content for a summer in towns on the north side of Flathead Lake, like Big Fork. Decent amount of breweries in all of those, plus Whitefish and Kalispell. Burgers that taste a little closer to the source.
    I vacationed some years ago in Whitefish. In the Winter. It was outstanding. Skiing is right there, the community had a certain small town charm. Glacier National Park is right there, as is the lake.

Keep in mind I lived in North Dakota for five years. Montana is a lot like North Dakota, only with stuff to do. North Dakota gave you the cold and wind, but hey, you could go to.......never mind. You couldn't go anywhere.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    I vacationed some years ago in Whitefish. In the Winter. It was outstanding. Skiing is right there, the community had a certain small town charm. Glacier National Park is right there, as is the lake.

Keep in mind I lived in North Dakota for five years. Montana is a lot like North Dakota, only with stuff to do. North Dakota gave you the cold and wind, but hey, you could go to.......never mind. You couldn't go anywhere.
    I know about Coney Island Whitefish. Are they similar?

Yesterday across the state of AZ we had no available icu beds. Patients that required icu level care sat in hospital ERs holding up a room for who knows how long, which just makes ER wait times even longer.

I know about Coney Island Whitefish.
    You're a Coney Island Whitefish. [And no, I have no idea what that even means.]
    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3
    Are they similar?
    Not so much.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

I know about Coney Island Whitefish. Are they similar?
    Maynerd, donít google this.

My grandma and my aunt (who has lymphoma) both tested positive for covid this week. Ugh.
    Update: just found out my grandma has been in the hospital since Saturday.

Yesterday across the state of AZ we had no available icu beds. Patients that required icu level care sat in hospital ERs holding up a room for who knows how long, which just makes ER wait times even longer.
    It's so bad everywhere. Devastating.

Ugh, I'm sorry, Linda. Is she in ICU? I hope she recovers soon.

How is your life today ? JDPNYY's Avatar
    Waiting for the day when I will crawl away.

I've been away from this thread for a while. I have questions and statements.

So.... I don't have Covid and have dodged that bullet. BUT.... it turns out that I have - wait for it - tonsillitis. What grown man of my age gets tonsillitis? So anyway, I have to follow up with an ENT. Aye yie yie.
    Feeling any better? My wife used to get tonsillitis regularly, but has avoided it for quite a while. She was told numerous times to have them removed. She has passed on that advice.
    I had mine removed the day the Yankees supposedly lost game 7 (I still won't believe it as I was out of it) in 2003. The aftermath is not fun at all.

My poor mom threw her back out a few weeks ago when she was really sick and coughing (not COVID). The pain got so bad that my brother took her to the ER at 3:00 AM today. My mom has an extremely high pain tolerance and she said the morphine they gave her only brought the pain down to an 8 out of 10. A CT scan showed a degenerative disc and stress fractures. Sigh.
    How is your mom faring? Any relief?

Iím having an echocardiogram tomorrow afternoon. Turns out my brother has an enlarged heart that might be genetic.
    How did that go? Hopefully well since you haven't updated us.

Quote Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
    Next week I should find out if work is going to pay (90%) of my $87k graduate school tuition.
    Well? Did work come thru?

My employer is no longer supplying us with disposable surgical masks. They are giving out 5 reuseable masks to employees. I Am livid.
    That's simply horrific.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    2020 gets worse and worse. 3 deaths in the last 2 weeks of retirees where I used to work. My best friend's son who's been missing for 3 months was found dead - he was in his late 20s and we went to bat day together about 20 years ago. I can't imagine the pain my friend is going through...it was his only child. Then there's my 99 year-old dad who was doing well until this past September but is now failing fast...probably just a few weeks left, if that. I feel kind of numb right now....don't know how else to describe it.
    So sad Bub? How's your dad? Haven't seen you around much. What an awful year.

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    Sorry to hear all of that, Bub. Stay strong.

Ownership of my son's restaurant called him last week and pointed out that the restaurant wasn't making any money. He observed that at 50% capacity NO restaurants were making money....they were simply trying to survive. Their solution? Back off the fine dining experience they were offering, and go with a simpler menu, one that only required a cook, and not a chef. He had run the restaurant for the last year, through Covid and the sickness and death of the owner. The owner's son simply looked at the cash flow, and sacked the highest paid employee....the chef/general manager. No notice. No severance. No opportunity to rebrand the restaurant. It's not a good time for a chef to be unemployed. Colorado is now at 25% capacity for restaurants, so no one is hiring. If anything, they're all laying off their staff.

None of that compares to deaths in or near your family, but it does contribute to how badly 2020 sucks.
    Layoffs in so many places. Sorry for your son.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Restaurants/small businesses are really getting hit hard. My middle child was laid off from her teaching position and is collecting unemployment while tutoring on the side. She and your son will eventually bounce back but it might be up to a year. So many arenít coming back though...itís so sad.
    Best to your daughter. So hard on teachers right now.

My grandma and my aunt (who has lymphoma) both tested positive for covid this week. Ugh.
    Any news on them? Are they hanging in there. By the way thank you for being on the front lines. You need to be thanked early and often.

So another part-time worker/college student at my work has tested positive for Covid. It's just a matter of time until I get it.
    Don't talk like that. Please don't get it.

Me? Working from home. Other than boredom doing well, trying to stay positive. My company has suffered for sure. Lots of people no longer working there.
    My oldest son, an animal Doc, has worked the whole time through (albeit, limited during the peak of this early this year. His wife is also a Vet but works doing research (from home since March).
    My middle son is a teacher in a school for severely disabled kids. He worked remotely in the spring (a disaster, since what he does can't be done remotely). He went back to the classroom in July and has been there since. A few COVID cases in the school, but he has avoided it so far.
    My youngest - got a new job at the end of February (baseball related, nice), and was furloughed 3 weeks later for 6 months or so. Back to work since October working remotely.
    My wonderful wife watches my two granddaughters 4 or 5 days a week and still takes care of her 101.5 year old mom all day every day. Mom-in-law isn't doing real well. Heart issues. She's had 3 procedures in the last 6 weeks and is still going, but... 101.5. Still lives alone in a huge house (other than my wife stopping in several times a day and some others in the family stopping in now and then). The Yankees will lose a great fan someday when she passes.
    My mom and dad are doing ok for a couple of folks in their very late 80s. The rarely go out. My dad for a walk every day and my mom to the supermarket once a week or so.

Thanksgiving will be small. Just my wife and me and the two youngest sons. Small gathering at my other sons house with his wife's parents and the little ones.

It's been quite a terrible year for so many. I hope everyone around here comes out the other side of this ok.

Thanks for reading by bestest invisible friends.
    He finally met himself, coming down an up-staircase, and the encounter was crushing.

Thanks for checking in Johndpnyy. Hope your mil makes it through. Tough times out there for everyone for sure.

Update on grandma- last I heard she was stable for now. She spent 2 days holding in the er waiting for a bed. Sheís not in icu so thatís a good sign for now. Theyíre treating her for covid and pneumonia.
    My aunt is doing ok. Her symptoms have been mild thus far thank god.
    Also, thank you for the kind words.

Thread Information