+ Reply to Thread
Page 1370 of 1377 FirstFirst ... 370 870 1270 1320 1360 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 1372 1373 ... LastLast
Results 34,226 to 34,250 of 34421

Re: Longest Thread Ever 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    After almost 80 years in Basking Ridge, the last of my family is leaving New Jersey. I have sold the home I was born and raised in that was built by my parents in 1936 and I'm moving to a smaller place in the Poconos. Happily, it's still in the Yankee footprint, and quite close to RailRiders Stadium, or whatever it's called. It's also reasonably close to son#1 and Grandbaby #2, and work-from-home son #2 is coming with me.
    My Grandparents purchased the home I was brought up in 15 years before I was born. After my Grandfather died, and my Grandmother couldn't keep up the home on her own, my parents moved in. It was HOME. The only one I knew.

Then, of course, I went in to the military, and went wherever the Air Force sent me. But that house in New Jersey was still HOME. Sometimes, a couple years would go by without me being able to visit, but it was still HOME.

When my Mother retired, she wanted out. Out of the big house. Out of a region of the country where it snowed. Out of a place with a lawn that needed to be cared for and maintenance needed to happen. Out.

I can still remember my last visit to that house. Over a dozen years after I physically moved out. Mom hadn't sold it yet, but it was clear that was going to happen, and soon. It hurt. I remember Mrs Maynerd, recognizing I was in a bit of pain, saying "Is there something you want to take with you?" All I could answer was "...all of it."

I've been back to my home town once or twice. I go by that house. I guess, just to make sure the current owners are taking care of it.

I have a new HOME now. So do you. You need to remember all the things that made the old house special (and in my case, at least, most of that was actually family, and not walls and floorboards), and put them front and center in the new home.

Cheers.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    My Grandparents purchased the home I was brought up in 15 years before I was born. After my Grandfather died, and my Grandmother couldn't keep up the home on her own, my parents moved in. It was HOME. The only one I knew.

Then, of course, I went in to the military, and went wherever the Air Force sent me. But that house in New Jersey was still HOME. Sometimes, a couple years would go by without me being able to visit, but it was still HOME.

When my Mother retired, she wanted out. Out of the big house. Out of a region of the country where it snowed. Out of a place with a lawn that needed to be cared for and maintenance needed to happen. Out.

I can still remember my last visit to that house. Over a dozen years after I physically moved out. Mom hadn't sold it yet, but it was clear that was going to happen, and soon. It hurt. I remember Mrs Maynerd, recognizing I was in a bit of pain, saying "Is there something you want to take with you?" All I could answer was "...all of it."

I've been back to my home town once or twice. I go by that house. I guess, just to make sure the current owners are taking care of it.

I have a new HOME now. So do you. You need to remember all the things that made the old house special (and in my case, at least, most of that was actually family, and not walls and floorboards), and put them front and center in the new home.

Cheers.
    Yeah. Exactly. I would come back after years in Brazil and get here and I was HOME. In the room I am in right now I watched Popeye with my father, watched Ruby kill Oswald live, saw Armstrong land on the moon, watched the second tower fall, and Hillary lose and so on. There are family members in every room. The new owners will demolish this 3400 sq. ft. 1937 grand house to put up a 7000 sq. ft. monster. I don't want to see it.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

The new owners will demolish this 3400 sq. ft. 1937 grand house to put up a 7000 sq. ft. monster. I don't want to see it.
    Like I said, I've gone by that old house a couple times. I was uncomfortable when the new owners had the audacity to enclose the front porch and put up fencing in the back yard. If they tore that house down and rebuilt, my knees would buckle. I wouldn't want to see that, either.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Cheers.
    A few years back I visited the house I grew up in. They had put up an ugly and rusting chain link fence. Cut down the apple tree. And there literally wasn't a single living blade of grass. The house needed painting and the roof looked shot. And for some reason the house actually looked smaller than how I had remembered it.

I wish I had never gone for a look-see.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by yankeeschic12324 View Post
    Congrats!
    She also announced she's pregnant so sometime next Spring I'm going to have another honorary grandchild or whatever you call our relationship. I haven't been able to figure that out but she's definitely family in every sense of the word.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Living Life Outloud yankeeschic12324's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    She also announced she's pregnant so sometime next Spring I'm going to have another honorary grandchild or whatever you call our relationship. I haven't been able to figure that out but she's definitely family in every sense of the word.

Wow exciting! Another grandbaby for you to love and spoil!

Like I said, I've gone by that old house a couple times. I was uncomfortable when the new owners had the audacity to enclose the front porch and put up fencing in the back yard. If they tore that house down and rebuilt, my knees would buckle. I wouldn't want to see that, either.
    My childhood home recently went up for sale. I looked at the pictures on Zillow and the inside is almost unrecognizable and it made me sad.

My parents have been at my childhood home for 75 years now, and I'm there every day. The house itself has changed very little, and neither have the neighboring homes, but the families have all changed, some multiple times, and that saddens me more than anything. I can remember every person in every one of the dozen homes on the block, some of which have been gone for over 50 years. I have no connection to the house but I'd give anything to go back in time to 1965 and visit everyone.
    Let the kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    My parents have been at my childhood home for 75 years now, and I'm there every day. The house itself has changed very little, and neither have the neighboring homes, but the families have all changed, some multiple times, and that saddens me more than anything. I can remember every person in every one of the dozen homes on the block, some of which have been gone for over 50 years. I have no connection to the house but I'd give anything to go back in time to 1965 and visit everyone.
    In my old neighborhood, the backyards were sort of connected in the houses 5, 6, and 7 doors down the street. That was our ball field, hide and seek playing ground, meeting place. You name it...that's where it happened. I got there not via the sidewalk, but through the intervening back yards, because I knew each family between my house and the 'fields.' I know that the current residents have put fences up, separating those backyards. The field where I spent so much of my youth is nothing more than a memory. And I sincerely doubt a single neighbor I knew still lives there.

- President Barack Obama

Yeah. Exactly. I would come back after years in Brazil and get here and I was HOME. In the room I am in right now I watched Popeye with my father, watched Ruby kill Oswald live, saw Armstrong land on the moon, watched the second tower fall, and Hillary lose and so on. There are family members in every room. The new owners will demolish this 3400 sq. ft. 1937 grand house to put up a 7000 sq. ft. monster. I don't want to see it.
    They're gonna demolish it? That makes me sad.

A few years back I visited the house I grew up in. They had put up an ugly and rusting chain link fence. Cut down the apple tree. And there literally wasn't a single living blade of grass. The house needed painting and the roof looked shot. And for some reason the house actually looked smaller than how I had remembered it.

I wish I had never gone for a look-see.
    This makes me sad, too.

Quote Originally Posted by RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees View Post
    My childhood home recently went up for sale. I looked at the pictures on Zillow and the inside is almost unrecognizable and it made me sad.
    My childhood home is not that far away, and I drive past every once in a while. From my house, I can get there in 20 minutes. The house itself is really run down. The outside is white, whereas it used to be green. It looks much smaller than I recall, too. My parents didn't even move out of it until I was 26, but it feels much longer than that. Then again, that was 14 years ago.
    "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

NYYF Legend

Well, I'm sneaking up to Schwartz's Deli.
    Take only......

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

NYYF Legend

Well........cut the greens on the public side this morning for the last time......my Winter hibernation begin tomorrow with snow flurries in the forecast......course closes next Sunday....high today is only 46 degrees and were booked for 260 golfers ......xxxxing nuts I tell ya

NYYF Legend

Our trip to Italy and 21 dayMediterranean cruise cancelled this month I took some money and bought a snowblower,riding lawnmower and a 10,000 watt generator ........Im officially ready for Old Man Winter to give me his best shot.

My poor mom was out of work for the last three weeks. She got sick (tested negative for COVID twice), and then while sick she coughed hard enough to throw her back out. She finally felt well enough to go in today and within 15 minutes she tripped over some tape on the floor and hurt her knee. She's currently at the doctor.

We had a state mandated sexual harassment class (Lecture? Training? Seminar? I'm not sure what you call it) at work today. At least I got paid for it. There was a 2 hour video that almost put me to sleep. But I signed off on it after it was finished, so I'm good with the state.

Back when I worked for the Catholic Church I used to have to do child sexual abuse VIRTUS training.

Something else to add to my resume.

We had a state mandated sexual harassment class (Lecture? Training? Seminar? I'm not sure what you call it) at work today. At least I got paid for it. There was a 2 hour video that almost put me to sleep. But I signed off on it after it was finished, so I'm good with the state.

Back when I worked for the Catholic Church I used to have to do child sexual abuse VIRTUS training.

Something else to add to my resume.
    Looks like I won't be stopping by at your house on Saturday night.
    Let the kids play.

Looks like I won't be stopping by at your house on Saturday night.
    You can always egg it.

You can always egg it.
    I like shaving cream better. Do you prefer regular or extra sensitive skin?
    Let the kids play.

I like shaving cream better. Do you prefer regular or extra sensitive skin?
    Barbasol thick and rich with soothing aloe

Barbasol thick and rich with soothing aloe
    I have a big stock of Noxema thick and rich with the soothing aloe. You won't notice the difference.
    Let the kids play.

I have a big stock of Noxema thick and rich with the soothing aloe. You won't notice the difference.
    How is your inventory for Hai Karate?

How is your inventory for Hai Karate?
    I'm out, but I have English Leather from 1975.

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas here. Fresh inch of snow on the ground this morning.
    Let the kids play.

I'm out, but I have English Leather from 1975.

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas here. Fresh inch of snow on the ground this morning.
    A few wet snowflakes mixing in here. Changing the clocks back this weekend. It's getting to be that time of year, unfortunately.

Now I know you have some Brut or Old Spice.

I guess I'll have to drag the snowblower from the shed and put in the garage one of these days. But I kind of like the snowblower in the shed, though.

I used the snowblower about all of twice last year. I don't think I'll bother with changing the oil and spark plug this year.

A few wet snowflakes mixing in here. Changing the clocks back this weekend. It's getting to be that time of year, unfortunately.

Now I know you have some Brut or Old Spice.
    But no Aqua Velva. That was Pete Rose's stuff.

Thread Information