+ Reply to Thread
Page 1378 of 1378 FirstFirst ... 378 878 1278 1328 1368 1375 1376 1377 1378
Results 34,426 to 34,442 of 34442
    NYYF Legend

Re: Longest Thread Ever 5.0

I've been offline for a while during my move from Basking Ridge to the Poconos. My son and I are rediscovering the joys of country living, including blasting soda cans with a 12 gauge in the driveway. I forgot how liberating it is to have your nearest neighbor a half-mile away.

I'm only a 20-minute drive from Railriders stadium, and I am still in the Yankees footprint (shared with Phillies). I hope to see a few games there when things return to normal.

I moved way more stuff than my downsized house can hold, despite ridding myself of a 30 cu. yd. dumpster worth of junk in NJ. I'm still grappling with how to deal with this issue. A family accumulates a lot of stuff after 88 years in the same place.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    So sad Bub? How's your dad?
    Well, dad passed away a week ago. As tough as it is, 99 is a great run. He stopped aging at about 75 and didn't resume until about 95. In the end, Dementia took him away, but he didn't suffer at all and died at home. My mom is 95 and very self-sufficient so she'll be okay on her own for awhile.

Dad was a gentle soul, a WW2 veteran who fought in the pacific theater. He was a welder and machinist, and just about the best father anyone could ask for. He sacrificed everything for his kids and could always be counted on for the best advice and any kind of help you needed. My own kids are taking it tough, but as I told them, he finished the race a long time ago and has taken dozens of victory laps ever since. What more could you have ever asked for?
    Let the kids play.

How is your mom faring? Any relief?
    Her back is doing better but she's out of work until January. She had a possibly cancerous growth removed from her leg yesterday, so now she's doubly bed bound.

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    I've been offline for a while during my move from Basking Ridge to the Poconos. My son and I are rediscovering the joys of country living, including blasting soda cans with a 12 gauge in the driveway. I forgot how liberating it is to have your nearest neighbor a half-mile away.

I'm only a 20-minute drive from Railriders stadium, and I am still in the Yankees footprint (shared with Phillies). I hope to see a few games there when things return to normal.

I moved way more stuff than my downsized house can hold, despite ridding myself of a 30 cu. yd. dumpster worth of junk in NJ. I'm still grappling with how to deal with this issue. A family accumulates a lot of stuff after 88 years in the same place.
    We used to have a vacation home in the Poconos and my brother went to the University of Scranton. Love that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Well, dad passed away a week ago. As tough as it is, 99 is a great run. He stopped aging at about 75 and didn't resume until about 95. In the end, Dementia took him away, but he didn't suffer at all and died at home. My mom is 95 and very self-sufficient so she'll be okay on her own for awhile.

Dad was a gentle soul, a WW2 veteran who fought in the pacific theater. He was a welder and machinist, and just about the best father anyone could ask for. He sacrificed everything for his kids and could always be counted on for the best advice and any kind of help you needed. My own kids are taking it tough, but as I told them, he finished the race a long time ago and has taken dozens of victory laps ever since. What more could you have ever asked for?
    Sorry for your loss.

How is your life today ? JDPNYY's Avatar
    Waiting for the day when I will crawl away.

Very sorry Bob. A tremendous man lived a wonderful life. He raised a terrific son.
    Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are this will save your soul or break it forever

How is your life today ? JDPNYY's Avatar
    Waiting for the day when I will crawl away.

Quote Originally Posted by RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees View Post
    Her back is doing better but she's out of work until January. She had a possibly cancerous growth removed from her leg yesterday, so now she's doubly bed bound.
    Best to her. Hopefully sheís up and around as soon as possible.
    Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are this will save your soul or break it forever

Iím sorry for your loss, Bob, but his sounds like a life well lived.

It's been quite a terrible year for so many. I hope everyone around here comes out the other side of this ok.

Thanks for reading by bestest invisible friends.
    I often refer to our little software world with the antiquated format as a community. This is why. Thanks, John, for caring about so many of our mutual invisible friends.

I'll take John's cue, and kind of recap where things sit in my world.

I continue to work, but I now work from home several times a week, and given my hour+ commute, that's a blessing. Sadly, my office is the furthest away I've been from home since last January. No vacation this year. No Air Force football 'away' games, as we've enjoyed the last few years.

Speaking of football.....for the first time in over a quarter century, I missed an Air Force home game. Rain, snow, wind, heat...I've been to every one of them, until this year. In fact, I've missed all of them, as they're playing before an empty stadium, or just Cadets. Normally, I'm at the stadium setting up the tailgate four hours before kickoff, and then reconvene for a couple hours after the game, so game day lasts about 8 hours. I've needed to discover what 'normal' people do on Saturdays in the Fall. And, I sorely miss the several dozen people who are a part of my tailgate family. [We even asked if we could still tailgate, with mask and distancing precautions, even though we wouldn't be able to attend the games. The Academy said 'no.']

Mrs Maynerd is retired, but is not at all happy about having spent the last ten months within Colorado. Her anticipation for retirement involved a lot more travel opportunities.

As I mentioned, our son the chef is currently unemployed. Tough time for that, as restaurants here are shutting down, so there are no jobs, and more people contending for what few jobs might materialize. He's had one soft offer from a local chef, basically saying, "I'd love to bring you in, but can't until our business gets back to normal, and who knows when that might be." He's got some money tucked away, so unemployment should keep him above water.

My daughter's job (National Park Ranger) seems safe. The Nature Center at Rock Creek Park is closed to the public, but someone has to feed the animals there. And, as more people are trying to do things outdoors, there are a lot of things to keep a Ranger busy. No tours. No presentations. No Junior Ranger Programs, but a whole lot of "you're not allowed to do that" stuff.

We all remain healthy, which, honestly, is the most important thing right now.

2020 has been terrible, but I guess it could have been much worse. Hopefully, we can put this behind us, and get back to normal, as quickly as possible.

Cheers.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Living Life Outloud yankeeschic12324's Avatar

Oh Bub. Iím sorry to hear.

My condolences, Bub. I know you'll miss your dad but you will carry him with you for the rest of your life. He indeed was a great man and father.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

JDP, I'm fine. Once I started the antibiotics and prednisone I got better pretty quickly. I never was really very sick (like I couldn't get out of bed), my throat just felt like it was on fire and the leftside of my face (jaw, neck and ear) hurt like the dickens.

I hope all is well with you and your family.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Happy Thanksgiving friends.

NYYF Legend

Well? Did work come thru?
    The committee met on Friday but I havenít heard yet. Considering there is talk of cancelling some elective cases I am planning on being told that there isnít money to pay right now. If thatís the case I will take out loans at least for the spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers
    Well....I am a total bacon whore...
    <--- The Ryan emoticon.

I am the only person who handles a very important regulatory issue regarding reverse mortgages for a client bank you've all heard of. The pressure they've been putting on me this last week has been making me nauseous. I don't know where else to vent but here. Argh!!!

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post

You're a 30 cu. yd. dumpster worth of junk.

(I'm glad you're enjoying the move thus far! Be sure to register to vote!)
    "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Oh, Bub. I'm so sorry. He sounds like a great guy.
    "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Living Life Outloud yankeeschic12324's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees View Post
    I am the only person who handles a very important regulatory issue regarding reverse mortgages for a client bank you've all heard of. The pressure they've been putting on me this last week has been making me nauseous. I don't know where else to vent but here. Argh!!!

Want me to fight them???

Thread Information