Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Fire sale vs Keep All

Who did firesale? who did keep all?
    Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's
    2016 NYYFans.com Fantasy Baseball League Champjons

NYYF Legend

Re: Fire sale vs Keep All

I kept all, but then I pretty much had a complete team under contract from last year! Not much money left for 2012, though . . .

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

Iowa Yankee

I kept them all. Similar situation to Sax, most of my team is already full.

I kept all. I liked the Longoria, Stanton, Kennedy prices, and even though Felix is expensive, thought it is nice to have one of the top pitchers locked up.

I kept all, no sense blowing up a roster that won a title....unless you're owning the Marlins...

Firesale, but the roster I ended up with didn't give me much of a choice. Probably better for me anyway, I'd rather build my own team and I'm liking the look of available talent

Just curious, but did executing the fire sale option have any effect on your GM rating?

Not sure. Where do you go to see your GM rating?

Looks like I'm rated at C+ (60), don't know if it went up or down when I did the firesale

Time (ET)TypeChangeNew GMRPlayer
    2/25/2012 8:26:31 PMPartial Carry-Over From Last Season*1060

NYYF Legend

I don't think it changed - default is 50, and you got +10 from last year. Makes sense; the functionality's designed largely with new GMs taking over old teams in mind.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

I am a 68 GM rating.

If I keep all contracts, then waive players, am I responsible for part of their salary, like if I drop them mid-year?

Iowa Yankee

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    I am a 68 GM rating.

If I keep all contracts, then waive players, am I responsible for part of their salary, like if I drop them mid-year?
    Yeah, you're responsible for 50% of their remaining salary.

Do you have a link to that? If I were to waive Crawford, and nobody picks him up, he will obviously be taken during the FAB period...would I still be responsible for 1/2 his salary?

If he clears waivers, you are responsible for 50% of his salary, regardless of whether someone picks him up later (it will also decrease your GM rating by 3 points).

Quote Originally Posted by Go Buccos View Post
    If he clears waivers, you are responsible for 50% of his salary, regardless of whether someone picks him up later (it will also decrease your GM rating by 3 points).
    And that is true during pre-FAB too? I know that's the rule during the regular season, just not 100% sure that's the rule during the pre-FAB period...I send gdr an e-mail just to clarify.

If it's true during pre-FAB, then I am doing a fire sale...

NYYF Legend

Hmm - I thought that either if someone else signs him in FAB, E would be off the hook, or that Crawford just wouldn't be available for FAB, as he already has a contract. But the GDR response should clarify.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

This is from the user manual, which is what leads me to believe that E would be responsible for Crawford's salary if he clears waivers:

If a team waives a player and he is not claimed, the waived team is still responsible to pay 50% of that player's salary for the remainder of its duration. This "buyout" amount is paid on a distributed basis over the life of the contract. (emphasis mine)

This is from the user manual, which is what leads me to believe that E would be responsible for Crawford's salary if he clears waivers:

If a team waives a player and he is not claimed, the waived team is still responsible to pay 50% of that player's salary for the remainder of its duration. This "buyout" amount is paid on a distributed basis over the life of the contract. (emphasis mine)
    YES, but that comes under the header "Regular Season", not pre-season, pre-FAB. Hence my confusion...

THE RESPONSE:

Hi Eric,

If I choose to keep all contracts, versus fire sale, can I then waive players I don't want?
    If I waive players pre-FAB will that affect my GM rating?
    If I waive players pre-FAB will I be responsible for 1/2 their salary if they are not picked up before the FAB period?

The answer to all three questions is: Yes

Cheers,
    Scott
    www.gamedayritual.com

I guess the last question is, are we able to pick up players pre-FAB? If I do a firesale, Pujols is out there. Can someone pick him back up before the FAB period? I know players are on waivers...

No, a firesale doesn't put your players on waivers, it resets them to the FA player pool. None of my contracted players went to waivers.

So what about the players currently listed as being on waivers?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    So what about the players currently listed as being on waivers?
    Yes, I think so. The option appears to be there, and otherwise there wouldn't be a need for waivers - players would just hit the FA pool immediately, as no-one would be able to pick them up, right?

So your question is - if you firesale, then have an empty roster with $100m, can you start to add players on waivers before the FAB begins? Again, I think the answer is yes.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

Quote Originally Posted by Saxmania View Post
    Yes, I think so. The option appears to be there, and otherwise there wouldn't be a need for waivers - players would just hit the FA pool immediately, as no-one would be able to pick them up, right?

So your question is - if you firesale, then have an empty roster with $100m, can you start to add players on waivers before the FAB begins? Again, I think the answer is yes.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania
    So I can pick up players on waivers, but not the FA pool?

Sorry for so many questions...I screwed up a lot of contracts last year, and there are some players I'd keep, but don't want to be hamstringed by a short budget (dropping Crawford and others for example) for the benefit of keeping someone else.

if I do a firesale, do all my players go to waivers, or do they go to FA, and unavailable until the FAB starts?

OK, so here's the answer:

MY MESSAGE:

Hi Scott,

So, if I do a fire sale, do my players go to waivers, or do they go to FA? It seems that waived players can be picked up prior to the FAB period. Are FA?

Basically, I did not know what I was doing last year, and screwed up a bunch of contracts. I learned quickly, and finished second in my division, but while I have some good contracts to keep, others I want to dump.

Right now, I am leaning towards fire sale. But I don't want Pujols and Mariano Rivera available to be picked up prior to the FAB period either.

Eric

RESPONSE FROM GAME DAY RITUAL:
    Hi Eric,

If you firesale your team they will immediately become free agents. They will not be signable before the fab. They will not be on waivers.

-Scott

Thread Information