+ Reply to Thread
    NYYF Legend

Free Agent Blitz period moved and shortened

I've moved the Free Agency Blitz period to start on the 15th of March, which is next Thursday. That gives us a couple of weeks between that ending and the season starting to add more players, make trades, etc. The Japan games aren't included in the league this year, so the matches won't begin until MLB week 2.

I've also changed the periods for each of the 5 rounds of the FAB to 1 day, rather than 2, and the time between events (players going on the market, players signing contracts) to 3 minutes rather than 5, as people complained it took too long last year.

NOTE - YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE IN FRONT OF YOUR COMPUTER DURING THE FAB! It's definitely a good idea to check in 2-3 times per day to see how you're doing and amend any bids you want, but otherwise you pre-load your bids and tweak as necessary.

If anyone is not clear on how the FAB works - please ask! We had problems last year with a couple of owners who weren't clear on the rules, and hurt their teams quite badly as a result . . .

Does anyone have any problems with this timing, bearing in mind that two of our owners (at least) are based in very different timezones, so we're never going to be able to plan a 'live', quick FAB with everyone in front of their computers at once. A 24 hour window per bidding cycle seems the best balance of speed and equal access . . .

Be seeing you,

Saxmania
    Mayonnaise is a demanding master.

Re: Free Agent Blitz period moved and shortened

Quick question. If you have 3 OF's in your OF 1 slot, can they be used in the OF 2 or 3 slots? Does it cost money to move them there? Or do you need to go sign other players for those OF slots? I guess the same question goes for the SP slots as well.

NYYF Legend

It's free to move them and any OF can go to any OF slot (or a U slot). In your team planner, click on the box to the left of the player name, and select their new position from the drop-down menu.

This is also important for the Free Agent Blitz, as the system will stop you adding more players if you're full in one position, so you need to manage your position planner enough so that you don't max out in a position you need to fill. For example, if you want to sign four OFs, and your position max on OF1 is 3, you need to either move at least one OF to a different slot like OF2 or OF3, or increase your position max (which you can do any time). You can also use the Open Queues OP1-6 as 'wild cards' for whatever you want - e.g. 'I want young infielders as backups, but don't want to manage individual positions . . .'

No cost for any of this. However, moving SP to RP or vice-versa isn't a good idea, as they won't score points correctly. So you can't just have 8 SPs with 3 in the RP slots . . .

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

A good thing for the new owners to do is check out the user manual option at the bottom of the page. I spent quite a bit of time going through it last year leading up to the FAB, it helped a lot. It will also have a breakdown of the scoring, so you can better understand how players perform based on whether the matchup is at home or on the road.

Another quick question. I get that we have $100 million to spend via FA Blitz, and any existing contracts will take away from that $100 million. We also have 50 contract years and 3 NT's. My question is if I already have Longoria, Weiters and Felix on NT's, does that mean I can't offer any free agents this year NT's? And do my existing contract years count towards my 50? Thanks

You can only carry 3 NT's at any given time (since you have Longoria, Weiters and Felix with NT's, you won't be able to offer a NT to any FAs) and your existing contract years will count towards your 50. There is a chart on the right side of the screen when you go to "Team Planner" under the FAB tab. This chart will show how many players you have under contract and for what amount. It will also show how many contract years, NTs and money you have available to spend on the FAB.

EDIT--If someone trades you a player with a NT clause, this doesn't count against your 3 NT limit.

Forum Regular

How can someone trade you a player with a NT?

Forum Regular

Remember, too, that you get an extra $10 million (upping your salary cap to $110 million) after the free agent blitz ends. You can't go over $100 million during the blitz, but if you want to fill out your squad, or need a RP, for example, you can use part or all of the $10 million after the $100 million blitz.

Money can also be included in trades to up your money from $110 to $112 or whatever.

Players with NTs can be traded, but only after Week 10. The team they're being traded to has to have a win record above .550 and the team they're being traded from a win record below .450

Okay have another quick question. I read the Manual and am still a little confused on this. I have added players to my Team Planner, made them offers, and they now show up on my First Offer Queue. However, some say Que at Max and some say Higher Player Will Max Out Queue. Can someone explain this to me? If I want to offer Ruth, Gehrig and Mantle contracts, but already have 3 OF's under contract, does that mean I have already hit my max and can only offer contracts to one OF?

Edit - I think I figured it out.

Each position will have a "max number" in your planner. If the max number is at 0, you can't make an offer for a player in that slot (check your OP slots at the bottom of the page, you may have some openings there).

Can you change the max number?

If there's a way, I have no idea what it is. Honestly, I don't even know how the max numbers are determined. I have some slots that will allow 2, some 1 and some at 0 (most of the ones at 0 are positions I need to fill).

Yeah so if the max is at 0 at positions you need to fill, then how do you bid on players and positions you actually need?

Iowa Yankee

When you open the Queue on the Team Planner page (little 'Q' to the right of the position name), there's a Max dropdown underneath the NT column. That's where you can up the Max number for that position.

Awesome thanks.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by rodg12 View Post
    When you open the Queue on the Team Planner page (little 'Q' to the right of the position name), there's a Max dropdown underneath the NT column. That's where you can up the Max number for that position.
    Yep - Max can be up to 5 for some positions - maybe any of them. It's much more flexible than it looks at first.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

Does order on the first offer queue matter much? I screwed up and saved with it out of order.

Also, is it prudent to bid give a first offer to everybody you might want out of the gate? Like, if a player only gets 1 offer the first time around will he automatically take it?

Iowa Yankee

Quote Originally Posted by Black Sabbathia View Post
    Does order on the first offer queue matter much? I screwed up and saved with it out of order.

Also, is it prudent to bid give a first offer to everybody you might want out of the gate? Like, if a player only gets 1 offer the first time around will he automatically take it?
    You can modify the order at any time on the First Offer Queue page. Just click the little radio button to the right of the player's name use the buttons further to right to move him up/down.

That's with the "players eligible" queue. When you click the [A] tabs to the left of the players names and click save it moves them up to the first offer queue. I figured out how to change the order though, you can just unclick all the names and click save again and it blanks it out

I should probably just stop asking questions for now, I always seem to figure things out right after I post about it

The [A] that you're clicking signifies that you will automatically make the offer to the player (regardless of which team makes the first offer). If you go to the "First Offer Queue" under the FAB tab you will see two lists. The first one shows players you have selected to make an auto-offer for, the second shows in what order you will make offers to players you have offers saved for. To change this order, click the radio button to the right of the player's name and choose one of the options to the right of the radio button (top, up 1, up 5, etc.), then click save at the top of that list to save your desired order.

Thread Information