+ Reply to Thread
Page 535 of 535 FirstFirst ... 35 435 485 525 532 533 534 535
Results 13,351 to 13,366 of 13366
  1. #13351
    Chapecó, que tristeza theDurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Basking Ridge, NJ

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson'sCornrows View Post
    Personally, I thought the DGAF style was hilarious, but I wasn't stuck watching the guy start all season, so I respect your point of view on the matter.
    Truth is, he could not figure out how to grip the ball when it got cold and he was 1) desperate, 2) not very bright.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

  2. #13352
    New Murderer's Row False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson'sCornrows View Post
    Oddly enough, I couldn't find any articles, either. I know I had read something before. Whatever I had read was 2-3 months ago and I thought it was fairly insignificant (mostly because I just assume this type of cheating is ubiquitous and not particularly egregious). All I can find now are some gifs of the game being streamed in the Yankee bullpen- https://twitter.com/Dan_OMara/status...584000/photo/1

    It's amazing to think that the Sox are accused of having done this for a decent chunk of the season when you take a look at our stats with RISP. Yowza. This is the weirdest, most puzzling, playoff quality Red Sox team I've ever followed.
    That looks photoshopped, no? The iPad that's just sitting precariously on a stack of towels where when the camera pans out the image and the reflective surface of the device show no signs of change in lighting whatsoever?

  3. #13353

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson'sCornrows View Post
    Oddly enough, I couldn't find any articles, either. I know I had read something before. Whatever I had read was 2-3 months ago and I thought it was fairly insignificant (mostly because I just assume this type of cheating is ubiquitous and not particularly egregious). All I can find now are some gifs of the game being streamed in the Yankee bullpen- https://twitter.com/Dan_OMara/status...584000/photo/1

    It's amazing to think that the Sox are accused of having done this for a decent chunk of the season when you take a look at our stats with RISP. Yowza. This is the weirdest, most puzzling, playoff quality Red Sox team I've ever followed.
    Based on this, we're going to have to assume the Yankees were NOT busted for the same thing the sox were.

    Also because they weren't.

    But yeah, I hear you on the RISP overall, but it seemed pretty good in that game.
    Hideki Matsui is capable of anything

  4. #13354
    Attorney at Bird Law Bronson'sCornrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    New Bedford

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    That looks photoshopped, no? The iPad that's just sitting precariously on a stack of towels where when the camera pans out the image and the reflective surface of the device show no signs of change in lighting whatsoever?
    Doesn't look shoop'd to me, but the timing of it would be curious if it were. Why would someone shoop the bullpen coach watching the game on an iPad three months before the Red Sox got busted for their bungling, Three Stooges act? Those gifs are followup, but the post originated from June-https://mobile.twitter.com/Dan_OMara/status/875009281904574464ou

    Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    Based on this, we're going to have to assume the Yankees were NOT busted for the same thing the sox were.
    I had meant more in the general sense of illegally streaming the game, not in the sense of having a goofy, elaborate system of unequivocal sign stealing set up. I'll apologize right now for not being clear on that. I would guess that you'd agree with me, though, that the BP coach probably wasn't live streaming the game on the bullpen iPad just to kick back and root for his boys.

    Again, just too be clear, I really don't care what his reason for watching was. I assume that every team does or has done ................ like this, and it just doesn't bother me much.

  5. #13355

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    The Rays are laying down to Boston, it's embarrassing.

    We won't see that next week, I bet.

  6. #13356

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by danman1202 View Post
    The Rays are laying down to Boston, it's embarrassing.

    We won't see that next week, I bet.
    No, what's embarrassing is using the "They laid down for them but played us like its the World Series" excuse.

  7. #13357
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Think the Rays may have other things than baseball on their minds right now
    SJW - bad attempt at insulting people that care about other's rights and not just their own.

  8. #13358

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by TheUmp View Post
    No, what's embarrassing is using the "They laid down for them but played us like its the World Series" excuse.
    Maybe not the world series but thanks for the strange overreaction

  9. #13359

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Think the Rays may have other things than baseball on their minds right now
    Didn't think of that, sports are so insignificant vs. what is going on it actually slipped my mind that a lot of families of their players are all evacuated at this point and their homes are in jeopardy.

  10. #13360

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson'sCornrows View Post
    Oddly enough, I couldn't find any articles, either. I know I had read something before. Whatever I had read was 2-3 months ago and I thought it was fairly insignificant (mostly because I just assume this type of cheating is ubiquitous and not particularly egregious). All I can find now are some gifs of the game being streamed in the Yankee bullpen- https://twitter.com/Dan_OMara/status...584000/photo/1

    It's amazing to think that the Sox are accused of having done this for a decent chunk of the season when you take a look at our stats with RISP. Yowza. This is the weirdest, most puzzling, playoff quality Red Sox team I've ever followed.
    He says the video is on a one-pitch delay.

    How do you cheat with that?

  11. #13361
    Attorney at Bird Law Bronson'sCornrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    New Bedford

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    He says the video is on a one-pitch delay.

    How do you cheat with that?
    Interesting point, and one I've thought a lot about myself given how (unnecessarily) elaborate the Red Sox system was. The system we were caught employing was more of a block-analysis type dealie. Somebody up in a room, watching on a monitor, would pay attention to the catcher's signs with runners on base. After seeing several different pitches, that person could decipher which sign was the actual pitch sign, then relay that message via e-mail to someone in the dugout, who would then relay the message to the man on 2B. Now that the man on 2B knows which sign is real, he can relay that message to the hitter at the plate the same as he would in traditional sign stealing.

    Every form of cheating using technology, whether you're illegally streaming the game, having people watch with binoculars, or having somebody watch it on monitors up in a room/booth carry the burden of delay. You can't cheat in real time using technology and really never could.

    The irony here is, for all the embarrassment of the Red Sox getting cold busted, caught cheating red handed, using TWO forms of technology (camera monitoring AND relaying e-mails using the damn watches), it's only good from the time you finally get that message to the men on the field until the time the catcher changes signs. Unless you're playing somebody tremendously lazy and/or stupid, you're talking maybe a few pitches worth of value to the entire cheat scheme. The same generally holds true for every form of cheating using technology, but I guess those few pitches are just valuable enough, or perhaps tempting enough, for teams to keep trying.

  12. #13362
    Attorney at Bird Law Bronson'sCornrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    New Bedford

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by danman1202 View Post
    The Rays are laying down to Boston, it's embarrassing.

    We won't see that next week, I bet.
    This is a little misguided, I think. Against the Rays so far this season, the Sox are 9-6, Yankees are 8-5. I'd have a much better argument in reverse using the Orioles as my example; they always show up for the Red Sox (10-6), but seem to lay down for the Yankees (6-9). Your real bone of contention should be the Jays; they've played you guys reasonably tough this year (7-6 so far) and absolutely played possum for us (4-12). I wouldn't even have known that except I looked up the numbers just to make sure I was right about the Orioles.

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Think the Rays may have other things than baseball on their minds right now
    This is a great, and rather unfortunate, point. Hopefully things don't go too bad down there, especially with all the help they still need in Houston.

  13. #13363
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by danman1202 View Post
    Maybe not the world series but thanks for the strange overreaction
    He's a popup Sox troll. Comes out of the burrow every once in a while to "straighten out" wayward Yankees fans.

  14. #13364
    NYYF HOF


    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Nassau County

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Kimbrel struck out the side in his 115th game with Boston. It was the second time Boston brought him in down at least 3 runs, and both time were against Tampa Bay.

  15. #13365
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Porcello suffered his 17th loss today. He could make 3 more starts. As far as I can tell, no pitcher in the divisional era has lost 20 games while pitching for a team that finished 1st. Since 1900, the only example I could find was George Mullin, who went 20-20 for the 1907 AL pennant-winning Detroit Tigers.

  16. #13366
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Porcello suffered his 17th loss today. He could make 3 more starts. As far as I can tell, no pitcher in the divisional era has lost 20 games while pitching for a team that finished 1st. Since 1900, the only example I could find was George Mullin, who went 20-20 for the 1907 AL pennant-winning Detroit Tigers.
    Pretty sure his 17 Ls are 3rd most following a Cy-young season. 1 more he ties LaMar Hoyt, 3 more he ties Steve Carlton.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 12 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 12 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts