+ Reply to Thread
Page 529 of 529 FirstFirst ... 29 429 479 519 526 527 528 529
Results 13,201 to 13,208 of 13208
    NYYF HOF

Re: The Red Sox Thread

Pedroia hit a tying double that got Betts out at home. That made Toronto's Dominic Leone became the fourth pitcher since 1913 (all of the previous ones were in 1998 or 2002) to throw exactly 1 pitch, allow 1 hit, pitch 1/3 of an inning, and get a blown save.

Pomeranz has turned his sh*t around.

Quote Originally Posted by freebubba View Post
    He will tire in the second half
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place with you

Attorney at Bird Law Bronson'sCornrows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by freebubba View Post
    His FB control has improved this year and his spike curve is still there for him, but he still doesn't have much of a changeup and he has thrown far fewer cut fastballs this year than he did last year. He has been very effective working largely with just two pitches, but deeper and better lineups have consistently been able to drive up his pitch count by fouling pitches off and working counts. This is always going to be easier against a guy who is only showing you two pitches. We'll have to see how this plays out in the postseason, assuming we make it there, but the idea does make me nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson'sCornrows View Post
    His FB control has improved this year and his spike curve is still there for him, but he still doesn't have much of a changeup and he has thrown far fewer cut fastballs this year than he did last year. He has been very effective working largely with just two pitches, but deeper and better lineups have consistently been able to drive up his pitch count by fouling pitches off and working counts. This is always going to be easier against a guy who is only showing you two pitches. We'll have to see how this plays out in the postseason, assuming we make it there, but the idea does make me nervous.
    Thanks for the analysis. Sounds like the Sox version of Phil Hughes. In an unrelated note, looks like Panda is headed back to SF on a minor league deal.

Summary: SSS and he will suck again soon.

Agreed.
    Hideki Matsui is capable of anything

NYYF Legend

Funny you mention that. It gives me an excuse to bump this gem of an article from our favorite Red Sox fanboi: http://www.gammonsdaily.com/peter-ga...retically-set/
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Gammons
    This season, Pomeranz has lost 1-0 to Clayton Kershaw, beaten John Lackey 2-1, lost to all star-starter Johnny Cueto 2-1 and 1-0, and beaten Syndergaard 2-0. So he hasn’t been matched up with dozens of John Wasdin clones.

Dombrowski and Hazen and their pitching scouts and analysts see a 6-foot-6 lefthander who is on his way up into his prime, controllable through 2018. He ranks seventh in the National League in strikeout rate. His batting average against is .184, better than Kershaw’s .185, although that isn’t going to continue in those AL East parks.

He long has dominated lefthanded hitters, important since Fenway is a lefthanded hitters’ park. But this year, he has dominated righthanders as well. “This spring Darren Balsley got him to buy into getting his fastball in on righthanders, and as he was doing that, he came up with a cutter,” says one Padres front office official. “The two pitches completely changed him. Finding a lefthanded pitcher who can locate his fastball in on righthanders and bury them with a cutter is rare, a guy like Jon Lester.”
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Attorney at Bird Law Bronson'sCornrows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Funny you mention that. It gives me an excuse to bump this gem of an article from our favorite Red Sox fanboi: http://www.gammonsdaily.com/peter-ga...retically-set/
    The Lester comp is ................ing laughable, but I will say that he has been throwing his cutter more his last three or four starts. I like that and hope it continues. Pomeranz is an odd commodity; I wasn't too happy about picking him up, but I still can't really ................ on the move. There's a chance he works out as a really good #3/fringe #2 (i.e. so far this season, for that 7 game stretch last year, and most of his time in SD last year), and if he busts I still really like his upside as a reliever.

Thread Information